What's new

‘Will build our own fighter jets’: PM Hasina

Opened again.
Apologies for the posts by a couple of the brothers, it's not representative of us. The vast majority of Pakistani and Bengali people have become closer over the years and relations are very good.

Forget PDF, go watch any random YouTube videos of Bengali/Pakistani folk and their opinions on each other. It's always brothers/sisters, we are Muslims, let's move on from 71, we wish each other to prosper and so forth. We will naturally become closer inshallah.
On a personal note I have lost count the amount of times Bengalis have helped me on a personal level here in the UK. Lovely community.

With a common evil enemy in the form of the sanghis, we know where our attentions should be.

Hasina needs to shut up about building jets and announce a contract for modern 4+ gen. fighter jets if she wants to be taken seriously when it comes to defence.

No update on frigate project, can't start upgrading CDDL or building new KSY yard. Can't even build a small UAV or trainer but Hasina bibi is getting orgasm about building fighter jet while air chief crying here and there about BAF's utter failure and MRCA. PATHETIC!!

I'm guessing Bangladesh is finally going to increase its fleet size to a reasonable number? Otherwise, economies of scale don't really agree with developing your own aircraft just to induct 40-50 examples.

Midterm plan is to operate 100 fighter jets. But i don't see that happening anytime soon. It's just a expectation at the moment.

1614105949157.png

No update on frigate project, can't start upgrading CDDL or building new KSY yard. Can't even build a small UAV or trainer but Hasina bibi is getting orgasm about building fighter jet while air chief crying here and there about BAF's utter failure and MRCA. PATHETIC!!

Midterm plan is to operate 100 fighter jets. But i don't see that happening anytime soon. It's just a expectation at the moment.

View attachment 719283

Chetona ganja: turns everything into gold like the hands of midas

take baby steps BAF...take baby steps...first get full over hauling down followed by building smaller components of fighter planes like landing gear, hydraulics, followed by building aluminum alloy airframe followed by composite airframe followed by servicing avionics followed by designing avioinics followed by building avionics. And I haven't even begun to talk about the engine side yet. But the approach applies to engines as well...start by overhauling engines followed by assembing engines followed by building engines. As far as I know, BAF has been overhauling engines for the F-7s and maybe even the MiG-29s for a while now.

take baby steps BAF...take baby steps...first get full over hauling down followed by building smaller components of fighter planes like landing gear, hydraulics, followed by building aluminum alloy airframe followed by composite airframe followed by servicing avionics followed by designing avioinics followed by building avionics. And I haven't even begun to talk about the engine side yet. But the approach applies to engines as well...start by overhauling engines followed by assembing engines followed by building engines. As far as I know, BAF has been overhauling engines for the F-7s and maybe even the MiG-29s for a while now.

I believe BAF has developed competence to overhaul F7 engines and maintenance for the migs.....

But very long way to go.

I believe BAF has developed competence to overhaul F7 engines and maintenance for the migs.....

But very long way to go.
yup...we started back in the 70s and now can only make 60% of the Thunder on our own. Still have a long way to go.

Chetona ganja: turns everything into gold like the hands of midas
i agree and adding to that, although they didn't admit publicly that myanmar's drones and helicopter crossed the border but they realized they need to do something. this could be the reason for moving into that direction.
and about chetona... ya.. i agree they like to bring chetona everywhere..

i agree and adding to that, although they didn't admit publicly that myanmar's drones and helicopter crossed the border but they realized they need to do something. this could be the reason for moving into that direction.
and about chetona... ya.. i agree they like to bring chetona everywhere..
Welcome to the forum
They did acknowledge airspace violations but did nothing

Welcome to the forum
They did acknowledge airspace violations but did nothing
Absolutely..... utterly embarrassing......but really BAL has no shame....i think 3 years have passed....have they taken any step to prevent repetition..... well yes... they have bought some radars so we will know exactly how much others intrude into BD.... can we do anything about it.....NO....absolutely nothing.... but never fear we have set up an aviation university through which we will produce our very own fighter jet!!!!
Unbelievable hubris and dereliction of duty....this is what i guess happens when you have unelected government that is not answerable to the populace.

I get the feeling that BAF will start producing F-7BGI in BD. And drones.

The PM get to look like she is doing something for defense without causing too big of an alarm in delhi and BAF gets exp making its own aircraft . and the increased numbers will be good as well. Its better than nothing.

All in all if BD gets exp making a 3.5 gen aircraft. Making the jump to 5th is not much of a big deal. After 10-15 years of experience making F7 bd and china may co -op to make its own fighter.

Like i said, BAF should have taken the chinese offer of allowing bd to produce F7 in bd. Wasted a decade.

Best deal would be 2 squadron of j10. Complete the mig squadron . bring the production line of F7' to BD produce about 100 units to get experience with building jets and also produce drones in house.

I'm guessing Bangladesh is finally going to increase its fleet size to a reasonable number? Otherwise, economies of scale don't really agree with developing your own aircraft just to induct 40-50 examples.
Economies of scale will be a factor, so anything less than 150 wont make sense. Unless BD can get into a joint partnership with multiple countries then it can take on producing portions of a larger multinational order, like 200-300, out of which 40-50 will be for BAF itself with local assembly and freedom of integrating weapons and systems of its choice.
Now following are the partnership choices:
1) JSF with USA - this is unlikely but honestly the most capable option. There is a South Korean program as well, but I will club it together with US due to involvement of ITAR technologies.
2) Chinese backed program, which naturally may include Pakistani involvement.
3) Pakistani Azm - but I dont think Pakistan has indicated any interest in a partnership except may be use of Turkish and Chinese industries in helping it develop the program.
3) Indian programs - LCA is there as an excellent example of Indian Aerospace prowess and project execution - some thing program managers in Lockheed Martin include in their training and study cases titled as : “How to F*** up an Aerospace project despite having all the resources and outside help”.
4) Turkish programs- Pakistan again may or may not be involved here as well.
5) Iranian Qaher ... lets just leave it here.

Last edited:
pretty sure chinese need them more

J10c are for export aswell as domestic. Bangladesh can also request China to let them assemble some parts etc. It will be a great experience for them. I would have suggested Jf17 but I doubt Bangladesh would go for it and India would loose its marbles over it.

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Tuesday expressed a desire to build fighter jets in Bangladesh to protect its sovereignty.

"We're building the Air Force to make it competitive, and we have a desire to build fighter jets in Bangladesh. We're taking preparations to protect our air border with our own [strength]," she said.

The Prime Minister said this while handing over the National Standard to 11 Squadron and 21 Squadron of Bangladesh Air Force.

The programme was held at Air Base Birsreshtha Matiur Rahman in Jashore and the Prime Minister joined it virtually from her official residence Ganobhaban.

Sheikh Hasina said the government has taken steps to protect the country's sovereignty and take the country some steps ahead in defending it. "I believe we'll be able to get success in this regard, Inshallah."

The Prime Minister mentioned about the 'Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Aviation and Aerospace University' and aeronautical centre where the research works would be done effectively.

Hasina said protecting the dignity of the national flag is the sacred duty of all the armed forces personnel. "We attained the national flag in lieu of the blood of millions of martyrs. This flag is the symbol of our independence, honour and dignity. It's the sacred duty of all members of the armed forces to protect the dignity of the flag."

The Prime Minister said she thinks that the members of the armed forces will remain ready always to make any sacrifice for protecting the dignity of the flag, the country's independence, sovereignty and while performing duties in the international arena in peacekeeping missions in the UN so that the dignity of Bangladesh could be increased. "You'll perform your duties keeping eyes on that."

Recalling the efforts of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman to build the Air Force after the independence of the country, she said the Father of the Nation in 1974 formulated Defence Policy for Bangladesh.

"Following those footsteps, we've formulated Forces Goal 2030 to make our armed forces a time-befitting and modern one, and we've started implementing that," she said.

Hasina also briefly described the induction of various modern and technology-based equipment in the Air Force.

As the country is celebrating Mujib Borsha, she said, the birth centenary of the Father of the Nation, the government has taken massive programmes for the overall development of the country and implementing those to change the fate of the general people including those who are living in the rural areas.

"We'll celebrate the Golden Jubilee of our Independence, let's promise on the eve of that to make ourselves patriot and fearless," she said.

With the united efforts of all, she said, Bangladesh will be built as a developed and prosperous 'Golden Bengal' to materialise the dream of the Father of the Nation.

Air Chief Marshal Masihuzzaman Serniabat, on behalf of the Prime Minister, handed over the national flags to 11 Squadron and 21 Squadron of Bangladesh Air Force.

Here is the full speech. Watch from 5:40. The "desire to build fighter jets one day" is a throw away statement in relation to BAC. She might have included trainers in her mind. The bottom line is she was not announcing any specific plans in relation to fighter manufacture.

India has to sell their highly successful Tejas manufacturing line

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Tuesday expressed a desire to build fighter jets in Bangladesh to protect its sovereignty.

"We're building the Air Force to make it competitive, and we have a desire to build fighter jets in Bangladesh. We're taking preparations to protect our air border with our own [strength]," she said.

The Prime Minister said this while handing over the National Standard to 11 Squadron and 21 Squadron of Bangladesh Air Force.

The programme was held at Air Base Birsreshtha Matiur Rahman in Jashore and the Prime Minister joined it virtually from her official residence Ganobhaban.

Sheikh Hasina said the government has taken steps to protect the country's sovereignty and take the country some steps ahead in defending it. "I believe we'll be able to get success in this regard, Inshallah."

The Prime Minister mentioned about the 'Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Aviation and Aerospace University' and aeronautical centre where the research works would be done effectively.

Hasina said protecting the dignity of the national flag is the sacred duty of all the armed forces personnel. "We attained the national flag in lieu of the blood of millions of martyrs. This flag is the symbol of our independence, honour and dignity. It's the sacred duty of all members of the armed forces to protect the dignity of the flag."

The Prime Minister said she thinks that the members of the armed forces will remain ready always to make any sacrifice for protecting the dignity of the flag, the country's independence, sovereignty and while performing duties in the international arena in peacekeeping missions in the UN so that the dignity of Bangladesh could be increased. "You'll perform your duties keeping eyes on that."

Recalling the efforts of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman to build the Air Force after the independence of the country, she said the Father of the Nation in 1974 formulated Defence Policy for Bangladesh.

"Following those footsteps, we've formulated Forces Goal 2030 to make our armed forces a time-befitting and modern one, and we've started implementing that," she said.

Hasina also briefly described the induction of various modern and technology-based equipment in the Air Force.

As the country is celebrating Mujib Borsha, she said, the birth centenary of the Father of the Nation, the government has taken massive programmes for the overall development of the country and implementing those to change the fate of the general people including those who are living in the rural areas.

"We'll celebrate the Golden Jubilee of our Independence, let's promise on the eve of that to make ourselves patriot and fearless," she said.

With the united efforts of all, she said, Bangladesh will be built as a developed and prosperous 'Golden Bengal' to materialise the dream of the Father of the Nation.

Air Chief Marshal Masihuzzaman Serniabat, on behalf of the Prime Minister, handed over the national flags to 11 Squadron and 21 Squadron of Bangladesh Air Force.

Only those countries which have their own successful jet engine program can truly be regarded as aircraft manufacturers and they are, the UK, US, Russia and France rest like China India and Sweden are not. This is why I always say that instead of jet fighter India should focus on developing a decent turbofan first.

And as far as Bangladesh is concerned I think they have not made a jet engine even under licence, let alone developing an aircraft.

What is wrong in developing a light fighter with imported jet engines ? I think it is an ideal project for Bangladesh

Back
Top Bottom