What's new

Will be in Turkey (Istanbul) the next few days. Any travel/sightseeing advice?

TechLahore

Reaction score
One of my long held dreams is about to come true! I will get to visit Turkey next week. Will be in Istanbul for the next few days.

I've admired Turkey since a very young age, but other than a quick transit through Ankara in the mid-80s, have never had an opportunity to visit. Until now...

Do my Turkish friends, or other members who have visited Istanbul, have any travel/sightseeing advice? I don't want it to be a stressful trip where I run from city to city. I just want to relax and take it all in, see the grand mosques in Istanbul, the glorious coast and beautiful museums. And most of all, I want to get a better sense for Turkey and the Turkish people. I've had several Turkish friends over the years and have always found them to be wonderful people... but this is going to be exposure at a whole new level!

So... any advice? travel tips? must-not-miss sites?

So... any advice? travel tips? must-not-miss sites?

I remember watching a program on Derinkuyu Underground City on Travel and living.

cappadocia-sight-seeing-tours-private-tours-1.jpg

If i were you,i wouldn't miss it.

beware of the chix...darn pretty ;)

Other than that a sailing trip to the Bosporus canal.
topqapi museum.
eating out in a good turkish restaurant..they got brilliant dishes.

eating out in a good turkish restaurant..they got brilliant dishes.

I've heard the places to eat at are the restaurants off the tourist grid. Would love to hear if PDF members have some Istanbul restaurant recommendations.

Dolmabahce palace is a must visit. If i was to choose a destination that would be the top one in Istanbul. So much history there. As far as food it is pretty hard to find a bad restaurant. I would recommend specific restaurants that specialize in certain Turkish dishes.

Thanks all.

Jigs, any specific restaurant names that come to mind? And what about specific dishes that I shouldn't miss... what are your favourites?

take a boat-ride on the bosforus
topkapi masjid
ottoman empire museum of history
there is a old food market - forget the name - its a must for turkish flavour and culture.
tomb of the unknown soldier / ataturk's mazar

Bosphorus cruise is definitely on, and of course Topkapi.

I will also definitely go to AtaTurk's mazar, inshaAllah, to pay my respects. Along with Mr. Jinnah, he is one of my greatest heroes.

Back
Top Bottom