What's new

Why Were These Indian Muslims Executed by the British During WW1?

Luffy 500

Reaction score
Why Were These Indian Muslims Executed During WW1?

mutiny-830x450.jpg

The 5th Light Infantry Regiment of the Indian Army from Madras were stationed in Singapore, they had been sent there to replace the Yorkshire Light Infantry. It consisted of Muslims who were mainly Rajputs and Pathans.

World War 1 was officially under way and The Ottoman Empire had entered the war siding with their German allies. Sultan Mehmet V called on Muslims around the world to take up arms against the British Empire and its allies. This was significant as the Sultan was considered by Muslims all around their world as their leader though half of the world’s Muslims lived under British, French or Russian rule. The Sultan was the head of the caliphate, a system of Islamic governance which began after the demise of the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) and ended with the fall of the Ottoman empire. A recent declaration by militants in Iraq and Syria of a caliphate has been rejected by Muslims worldwide.

Not long after the Indian regiment’s arrival to Singapore, an announcement was made that they were to be sent to Hong Kong. Rumours spread that, rather, they would be sent to fight fellow Muslims and against the Ottoman Empire. Whether or not they were to be sent to Hong Kong remains unclear.

On 15th February 1915, 800 Indian Muslims turned against their British colonial masters, killing around 40 British officers and seizing ammunition. Singapore was left practically defenseless with most of the Singapore Volunteer Corps on leave because to the Chinese New Year holidays. The rebels marched through Singapore laying siege to the bungalow of the regiment’s commanding officer

Two days later, allied warships arrived after British pleas for help, the rebels put up a fight but were eventually overwhelmed. Many died in battle, many surrendered and the remainder fled into the jungle. By 22nd February, the mutiny, which would later come to be known as The Singapore Mutiny, was over.

47 mutineers were later executed by public firing squad in front of an audience of thousands, in Outram Jail. 73 more were given long prison sentences.

Facing certain death or imprisonment, these Indians risked everything to escape fighting a war they didn’t believe in for colonialists which had occupied their native India for many years. Though there were other cases of rebellion, approximately 1.3 million Indian soldiers served in World War One for the British Empire. Many were used in campaigns against the Ottoman empire which involved capturing regions such as Palestine and Syria.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@kobiraaz @Saiful Islam @Al-zakir @Akheilos @Zarvan @Aslan @Horus @hinduguy

The 5th Light Infantry Regiment of the Indian Army from Madras were stationed in Singapore, they had been sent there to replace the Yorkshire Light Infantry. It consisted of Muslims who were mainly Rajputs and Pathans.

Were these Punjabi Pathans? Because from the sources I've read the soldiers who mutinied were Punjabis, which is not saying much because Punjabis had a dominating presence in the British Indian army, with Sikhs and Muslims recruited in large numbers.

"the most significant and dramatic event in these years was the Indian Mutiny of 1915. Distressed by the fact that Britain was at war with Turkey, the Light Infantry - consisting solely of Punjabi Muslims - revolted, killed their officers and seized control of Alexandra Barracks, where the Germans had been detained. They released the German prisoners (since Germany was an ally of Turkey) and proceeded to kill any Europeans they met

Marshall of Singapore: A Biography - Kevin Tan - Google Books

Singapore survived World War I without a single upset except a 10 day mutiny in 1915 by the sigle regiment that was left in Singapore. The 5th Light Infatry was composed of Indian Muslims from Punjab. Already out of sorts with Britain being at war against Muslim Turkey, when they were ordered to ship out for Hong Kong ... they mutinied out of fear that they would instead be sent to fight Turkey

The History of Singapore - Jean Abshire - Google Books

Last edited:
Were these Punjabi Pathans? Because from the sources I've read the soldiers who mutinied were Punjabis, which is not saying much because Punjabis had a dominating presence in the British Indian army, with Sikhs and Muslims recruited in large numbers.

Marshall of Singapore: A Biography - Kevin Tan - Google Books

The History of Singapore - Jean Abshire - Google Books
Its Ranghars who are referred to as Punjabis in the above sources.. Ranghars are found in Punjab and Hariyana.....the right wing of 5th light infantry consisted of Ranghars and the left wing of the battalion was filled with 'Hindustani' Pathans.
The Testimonies of Indian Soldiers and the Two World Wars: Between Self and ... - Gajendra Singh - Google Books

Its Ranghars who are referred to as Punjabis in the above sources.. Ranghars are found in Punjab and Hariyana.....the right wing of 5th light infantry consisted of Ranghars and the left wing of the battalion was filled with 'Hindustani' Pathans.
The Testimonies of Indian Soldiers and the Two World Wars: Between Self and ... - Gajendra Singh - Google Books

I cant really read the link you has posted as google is telling me I am unable to view it or I have reached my viewing limit. Il read into this later on though.

Edit: On doing the search myself I was allowed to view this book, oh google you so strange lol.

But yeah it states basically what you said, although it also adds jats and other Punjabis in the wing as well.

The right wing was made up of "Ranghars, A Muslim Rajput 'clan' found primarily in Punjab. As with a lot of regiments recruited with musalmans, however, many of the soldiers were not Ranghars and some in their testimony even admitted to being Jats or Lohias (blacksmiths*)."

*Lohars I suppose

And the left is made up of "Hindustani Pathans". Could this possibly be the Multani Pathans?

Last edited:
OP trying to sell his cali-fart garbage ... No one gives a flying fck except few mad idiots who are getting killed every day .. Soon this cancerous element will be removed

Back
Top Bottom