What's new

Why was the Awami League not allowed to form government in 1971?

Those were indeed privilege since NWFPian (W Pakistani) Ayub built them.

What a sick analogy!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where did Ayub Khan got the money from????
You need to sit and calculate,

(the money earned in E. Pakistan + The money collected from foreign aid + the money earned through export of jute and tea ) != the money spent on E. Pakistan.

The above is true and the case closed here

Thanks for that blast from the past, I say, you must be reaching old age, and it's good you cant recount the memories from those boyhood years of 1948.

Come what may, the language issue was resolved in 1956, so to present that as justification for the Awami Leagues 6 points, does not make sense.

No one says that East Pakistanis were not upset about Bengali not being the official language.

Jinnah cannot be blamed personally for this, since he was not even an Urdu speaker himself. He can hardly be said to have prejudice for a particular language. The historical supremecy of the Urdu language, and it's official use for hundreds of years, gave it the best chance of unifying the country.

Bengali, PUnjabi, Sindhi, could not have unified the country. You think Sindhi, or PUnjabi is of a lower value, as a language, than Bengali?

Urdu/Hindustani had been the lingua franca of India, even though those from the south and east of the subcontinent are loath to admit it.

It was also the language of prominent muslim, islamic scholarship, the language of discourse for muslims from different linguistic backgrounds, be they Telugu, Malayalam, Gujurati, Bengali, Punjabi or Pashtun. How you do not recognise this, is beyond me.

None of the early leaders of Pakistan was an ethnic Urdu speaker, so it cannot be said that there was any prejudice in favour of the Urdu language. Even now, in my city, I converse with Bangladeshis in Urdu. Just had a conversation with one yesterday. That is because it is still the lingua franca of Pakistan, India, Bengladesh, Nepal and Afghanistan.

Huh, Well if it were settled in 1956, why did the Pakistani soldiers broke the memorial of 1952 for language movement in 1971???? which suggests that it was not settled even after 1956.

Regarding Urdu in Bengal, you need to look back history little more than a millenium. Urdu came after Mogul and Islamic rule in Delhi but Islam in Bengal which is far older than that. The conversion that took place here was through Saints who themselves first learnt Bengali and then taught Islam. It was not an issue of religion in Bengal. So while most of the Muslims in Indian sucontinent somehow are accustomed to Urdu whereas Bengalis always rejected it, even before 1947. The debate was older than Pakistan.

Well Mujib and his gang tried to erase Islam and killed the concept of two nation theory from the Bangladesh. His hate for Muslim and Islam unimaginable.

Here are some examples out of many:

1-He establish secular Constitution with out praising to Allah and inclusion of Bismillah ir-Rahman ir-Rahim.
2-stopped broadcasting of tilawat-e-Qur'aan from TV and Radio first thing in the morning.
3-He scraped Iayat from Dhaka university that read "rabbi jidni ilma."
4-omit Muslim from "salimullah Muslim hall."
5-omit Islam from "kazi najrul Islam hall."

Mujib secular Bangladesh died with him 1975. Islam and Two nation theory re emerge with the emergence of General Zia-ur-Rehman. Today's Bangladesh is the product of General Zia-ur-Rehman not Mujib the dalal. General Zia Islamize the constitution and brought Bangladesh closer to Islamic world. He is our modern day Islamic hero. He is beloved and respected by Muslims in Bangladesh.

I got news for you. Those who injected with heavy dose of bacteria called "bengalism", it will never get in to their head. They are lack of Islamic of gene.

Secular politics is way way older than Mujib. Try to read some history and politics in Bengal before 1947. Try to find out how many seats Muslim League holded in Greater Bengal assembly.
Also Secular politics did not die away in 1975 and had nothing to do with Mujib.

Regarding Urdu in Bengal, you need to look back history little more than a millenium. Urdu came after Mogul and Islamic rule in Delhi but Islam in Bengal which is far older than that. The conversion that took place here was through Saints who themselves first learnt Bengali and then taught Islam. It was not an issue of religion in Bengal. So while most of the Muslims in Indian sucontinent somehow are accustomed to Urdu whereas Bengalis always rejected it, even before 1947. The debate was older than Pakistan.
So true. It is this uniqueness of Islamic Bengal that the west Pakistani leadership couldn't grasp.

Mujib at the end turned more Islamic.And some of his moves like going to Pakistan in 1974 for OIC conference and also to reconcile the bitter relation,against the Indian will proves that.Also heard he started using "Khoda Hafez" instead of "Joy Bangla" in the end.

One leader Bangladesh should have given more importance to was Maulana Bhashani,that's what I feel.He was true nationalist.The first thing he said after BD was liberated was to withdraw Indian troops immediately.
In 1969 uprising,He started praying on the streets as the Pakistani troops threatened to charge,that way using no violence he stopped the bloodshed.He also supported the Zia govt. after Sheikh Mujib was assassinated.Though he died soon after at 1976.A great leader he was.

Mujib was far more islamic than Yahiya and Bhuttto. Bhutto probably never prayed in his entire life and Yahiya used to come to meeting half drunk, even when Pakistan was in serious trouble in the events of March...

Jajdani, HOLD your tonge, and continue the conversation in a tone that is respectful to other members, and their sensitivities.

This is the least this forum and its members deserve.

Be assertive, but NOT aggressive. Do not use language that destroys the good spirit in which the debates in this forum are held.

Insulting the Qaid, Muhammad Ali Jinnah is a banning offence. You may criticise, but NOT use cheap insults.

THIS IS A WARNING

Ask your W. Pakistani brothers, whether they gave fair share of respect to Fazlul Haque, who first proposed Pakistan in Lahore 1942 and on that basis pakistan was created. Also Fazlul Haque was not from Muslim League, though he backed Muslim League in that particular issue. For your kind information, Jinnah was not the founder of Muslim League rather he earned his fame through tail licking of Gandhi and later joined Muslim League when his relationship with Gandhi and Neheru started souring.

Muslim League - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read the above article and history and see the synonym written first in Bengali then Urdu.
Muslim League was created in Dhaka and by Bengalis.

I hear this a lot from Bengali nationalists.

Muslim league was created in Dhaka, therefore Bengali should have been made the official language, and East Pakistan should have got preferential treatment.

Why?

Do you dismiss all the West Pakistanis who contributed to the independence process?

Ask your W. Pakistani brothers, whether they gave fair share of respect to Fazlul Haque

Who stop you to ask them? you are in PDF. Aren't you? Here is a quote from Darkstar. I think recognition and sincerity is there unfortunately some of us lack on it.

Darkstar:It must also be remembered, that Bengal was at the forefront of the Pakistan independence movement, more than Punjab, or Sindh. The most agitation in favour of Pakistan had been in Bengal, and Bengalis sacrificed a lot for this movement, which was in fact as much their movement, as those from West Pakistan, in fact more so.

Iajdani:who first proposed Pakistan in Lahore 1942 and on that basis pakistan was created. Also Fazlul Haque was not from Muslim League, though he backed Muslim League in that particular issue.

It was defiantly moronic that Pakistan didn’t use the brain and experience of A.K Fazlul haque but blame should be on from both sides of the leaders.
No one refused or denied that “Qarardad-e-Pakistan” written and approved by Sher-e-Bangla. Its still framed and posted on “Minar-e-Pakistan” in Bengali and Urdu with his name on it. Portraits of founding leaders of Pakistan also framed including Fazlul Haque and Sorowardi. I believe they also have road after his name in Lahore. Fazlul haque didn’t disappeared from history of Pakistan because he originated from East Pakistan.

Where are the portraits of M.A Jinnah and other founding leaders in Bangladesh? There was a road name “Jinnah road” in Dhaka. Sad enough it’s no more. Showing respect and recognize their contribution won’t shrink us to ground. Would it?

Iajdani: For your kind information, Jinnah was not the founder of Muslim League rather he earned his fame through tail licking of Gandhi and later joined Muslim League when his relationship with Gandhi and Neheru started souring.

No need to remind me. I am a follower Muslim personalities and well aware of the history of subcontinent. I have born with the resistance to regional boundary when come to Islam and Muslim. It's people like you that lack on it. so all sudden Nawab of Dhaka become Bengali but I though he is consider outsider because he belong to elite class. Double standard at best. Make your mind Iajdani

No one ever claimed “Quid-e-Ajam” was the fonder of Muslim league. If He was all that unworthy of leading than who put a gun to our head to accepted his leadership to made a case for Pakistan. How he got to become “Quid-e-Ajam” of Muslim league is irrelevant now because he proven to be a great leader and founded United Pakistan. Period.

Last edited:
What a sick analogy!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where did Ayub Khan got the money from????
You need to sit and calculate,

(the money earned in E. Pakistan + The money collected from foreign aid + the money earned through export of jute and tea ) != the money spent on E. Pakistan.

The above is true and the case closed here
Brother,

Before exporting jutes, it needed to process and make exportable. Where were it done? In Jute factories, right? Where did the money come from to build them? Answer was URDU speaking people brought them from India. So, it was not East Pakistan's Jute that came to the equation of development but also the efforts for connecting them with the global need. And the later part was tougher since jutes were produced in India as well. Adamji, Ashraf and many others acted as pioneer in that direction and deserved equal as or more kudos than Jute growers. BTW where does the Jute's export figure stay today? And where are Adamji and Ashraf Jute mills?

And about spending foreign aid to East PAK, when Abul Mansoor Ahmed (Father of Mahfouz Anam) became PM of PAK, he directed all the funds toward East, which showed his ethnic mentality and rightfully tagged as an ethnic minster. It was unfounded in W Pakistani Ayub's acts though.

Hahaha what funny and twisted story. Building WPUET and EPUET and all the PIT's were the idea of Dr. Rashid who was the first VC of EPUET and the head of the comission which was responsible for making the plan for technical education in Pakistan. Whenever it was given responsibility to any Bengali they made it sure that W. Pakistan gets its fair share but not the case in other way.

Whoever formulated the projects, the point is that they were approved and funded by the Pakistani government. If it was merely a case of not wanting to develop East Pakistan at all, any project proposed for EP would have been shot down by the Pakistani government.

This is what I mean by disingenuous and unfair criticism - First off, the overall Pakistani government is blamed, then when development in EP is pointed out, people start nitpicking and arguing that it was only because XYZ a Bengali was in charge of so and so commission. If the allocation of funds and projects was the responsibility of the commission heads, then the more appropriate target of criticism should be those commission heads, and not the entire GoP, which approved the projects either way it seems.

Again, there is no need to validate Bangladesh's independence by dragging up nonexistent issues and further demonizing Pakistan just to make yourself feel better. Accept that some things were done right and others were not.

This revisionist 'vilification at all costs' is just a dishonest exercise. Events in the real world are hardly ever 'black and white' - the truth is typically gray.

Ask your W. Pakistani brothers, whether they gave fair share of respect to Fazlul Haque, who first proposed Pakistan in Lahore 1942 and on that basis pakistan was created. Also Fazlul Haque was not from Muslim League, though he backed Muslim League in that particular issue. For your kind information, Jinnah was not the founder of Muslim League rather he earned his fame through tail licking of Gandhi and later joined Muslim League when his relationship with Gandhi and Neheru started souring.

Muslim League - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read the above article and history and see the synonym written first in Bengali then Urdu.
Muslim League was created in Dhaka and by Bengalis.
Cheap comments aside, where the league was founded and by whom has little to do with what the league accomplished.

The fact remains that it was a leader of the stature of Jinnah who was able to become a symbol of the movement for 'two nations', and capture the imagination of so many.

This is not to discount the efforts of many others, including a prominent role played by Bengali politicians, but to point out to you that Jinnah was just as important a cog in the wheel as any one else. The birth of Pakistan in 1947 was the result of all of these cogs working together, and a culmination of the efforts of so many people and organizations. Just as the efforts of the politicians and leaders from Bengal and elsewhere cannot be ignored, neither can the indispensable role played by Jinnah. To deny that is just another example of dishonest revisionism.

Last edited:
Hey brother I earnestly wish you use more respectful terms for the leader who STILL ENJOYS MORE RESPECT IN BANGLADESH THAN ANY OTHER LEADER.
Sheikh Mujib was someone who was even mentioned as "...Our great leader Bongobondhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman..." by Major General Zia-ur Rahman when he declared war in 27th March, 1971. The clip with the audio is in youtube.

I am aware of his popularity and by whom. There aren’t shortages of fools in BD that wouldn’t adore him including Hindus and anti-Islamic element.

I get amaze when I encounter people like you. If I am not wrong than I believe you claim to be believer of Califat and proud to be Muslim first and Bangladeshi second yet show love for Awami League.:undecided:

So answer me these question honestly. I am curious.

Why do you respect him and support Awami league based on these fact below?

1-He establish secular Constitution with out praising to Allah and inclusion of Bismillah ir-Rahman ir-Rahim.
2-Stopped broadcasting of “tilawat-e-Qur'aan” from TV and Radio.
3-He scraped Iayat from Dhaka university that read "rabbi jidni ilma."
4-omit Muslim from "salimullah Muslim hall."
5-omit Islam from "kazi najrul Islam hall."
6- Awami promote Bengali first and Muslim second which it self a Mushrik concept.
7- They refused to shout “Naare Takbeer Allahu Akbar” and “Bangladesh Zindabad” instead they use “joy Bangla, Joy Bongbandu

Do you not think these above action taken by Mujib and his party is more than enough to declare them anti-Islamic so therefore should be reject be Islamic people?

You can go ahead and admire him all you want but my vision is clear and straight forward. I have no respect for Mujib or his party.

Last edited:
I am aware of his popularity and by whom. There aren’t shortages of fools in BD that wouldn’t adore him including Hindus and anti-Islamic element.

I get amaze when I encounter people like you. If I am not wrong than I believe you claim to be believer of Califat and proud to be Muslim first and Bangladeshi second yet show love for Awami League.:undecided:

So far I read most of your posts and my conclusion to your view is that .. Pakistan first, Anti 1971 Second, Anti AL third, Islam and Khilafat fourth and Bangladesh may or may not be the fifth.

Try to be honest and just say it... Dont mess up Islam with your twisted view. We all are muslims and may be better parcticing muslims.

Thanks

This is not a valid argument.

Investment in Pakistan was mainly private investment.

The Pakistani government does not control private investment.

Example. Adamjee jute mill in East Pakistan. Money from the sale of jute went to Adamjee, but Adamjee lived in West Pakistan. So the money that East Pakistan produced was not all government money. Much of it was private investors money. This private investment has nothing to do with the government and it's the right of te investor not to reinvest it into East Pakistan.

You say that East Pakistan earned more foreign currency than West Pakistan. That's fine. The money produced by this private investment goes to the owner of the investment. Answer me this question.

I am sitting in Atafu with $1,000,000. I decide to invest my foreign currency into East Pakistan to build a jute mill. I build a jute mill, and then employ East Pakistanis into my mill. It produces lots of money and I get all the money. I pay my workers. Now why should I use the rest of that money to spend on infrastructure for East Pakistan? It is my money, I can do with it as I please.

As for the government of Pakistan investing into the infrastructure of East Pakistan. You have said yourself that the infrastructure of East Pakistan was better than West Pakistan after Partition. Therefore, should the Government of Pakistan not have tried to equal out the two wing's infrastructure so both sets of people have the same opportunities? Why should East Pakistanis have had all the best schools?

Which high ranking jobs were given to Punjabis? Were'nt there more East Pakistani prime ministers of Pakistan than Punjabi ones?

Regarding the private investment, yes you take the profit after you pay taxes and the foreign currency goes to govt state bank. Nobody was asking money from Adamjee but from Central govt which it collected from Adamjee.
This is simple equation, and that is no rocket science..
Also you are mentioning only Adamjee and some other jute mills but we had hundreds of jute mills owned by both east and west pakistanis and only the central govt mostly used to collect the revenue from those.
Also E. PK mostly exported raw jutes which used to go to the central bank only in W. Pak.

Last edited:
So far I read most of your posts and my conclusion to your view is that .. Pakistan first, Anti 1971 Second, Anti AL third, Islam and Khilafat fourth and Bangladesh may or may not be the fifth.
Thanks

Once again I am getting a respond from an emotionally charged individual with low self esteem. You clearly can not think with logic and confined in the box mentality. If I wanted to represent myself as a Pakistani than I could have easily blend in and probably no one would have notice it nonetheless There is nothing wrong with Pakistani or Pakistanyat. Its a culture based on two nation theory and I am a honest believer of that concept. you can only be true and legitimate claimants of your family if you can trace your forefathers.

Try to be honest and just say it... Dont mess up Islam with your twisted view. We all are muslims and may be better parcticing muslims.

Just because some one pray five times a day that won't make him a true Muslims if he or she actively support and practice anti-Islamic culture. Islam is way of life rather than confined in ritual practice. Just because I happen to born in Bengal that doesn't necessary mean that I have to embrace everything that flows into that land. Reminiscence of uncultured civilization inherit from Hinduism still exist today and unfortunate enough some so called Muslim practice it with pride and would like to halalize it in the name of Bengali culture.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom