Why the creation of Pakistan does not negate my Indian identity

Dushmann

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
54821-dsfjpg-1502534453-528-640x480.jpg

There is something about India as an idea which transcends modern-day political configurations. It is the idea of India as a huge mass of land which stretches from Balochistan to present day Bangladesh. This idea of India is independent of any political configuration.

In fact, during the past thousands of years, this mass of land has very seldom been a unified political entity. And yet, there is something which loosely unites the inhabitants despite their substantial religious and at times even ethno-linguistic differences. After all, let us not forget that more than 200 languages are spoken in India.

There is something, perhaps difficult to articulate, which enables this huge stretch of land to be called India irrespective of various political shapes it has assumed over thousands of years.

My country Pakistan was created only 70 years ago. In my eyes, the current political landscape consisting of India, Bangladesh and Pakistan is just one of the many political permutations the Indian subcontinent has witnessed over thousands of years. This current political formation does not mean that I have ceased to be an Indian.

Yes, at this point, I will say that I am a proud Pakistani. I opened my eyes here and I love it intensely despite the fact that I have often been severely critical of the way things are being run here. But at the same time, I would also like to say that I have an Indian identity as well.

I am the heir to the same rich past and I have the same claim to India as those who belong to modern political India. It is this great common heritage, underpinned by the idea of India independent of political configurations, which unites me with those who live in the present political entity of India. It is our common heritage irrespective of our different political, and for that matter even cultural differences – because modern political India also has many sub-cultures which differ substantially from each other – which unites us.

Yes, those who worship the idea of the Two-Nation Theory will negate it and ironically their sentiments will find endorsement by a Hindutva brigade. The former thinks that identity is perhaps a monolithic phenomenon and Pakistan equates to an antithesis of India. They think that identity is solely a political cum religious construct and since Pakistan is a separate political entity, we are now just Pakistanis in every respect of the way.

The political Pakistan means the fostering of a completely new identity and a complete divorce from the past. For them, their past starts from the point their ancestors converted to Islam and their identity morphs into something concrete only after the creation of Pakistan. And this group, consisting of so-called nationalists, is also wary of ethnic identities and aligns itself with the state cultivated narrative of “one Pakistan, one nation”.

On the other hand, the Indian right-wingers think that since Pakistan became a separate state, their country was “partitioned” and an unforgivable sin has been committed. By creating Pakistan, its inhabitants have divided mother India. They keep on talking about the glory of the Indus valley civilisation and mention India as a historically single political entity which in 1947 was divided along religious lines.

Well, needless to say, I disagree with both parties. My premise is that people have multiple identities. I am a Pakistani, a Punjabi, a Muslim, and of course an Indian in the sense I have mentioned above. In fact, we all have multiple identities. At times, one identity may become dominant due to certain circumstances and may even take on a strong political expression, such as a demand for a separate state. However, even if one does so, the other identities do not simply disappear.

So in my case, my Indian identity is there despite my Pakistani identity. I may not consciously ‘choose’ it, but for me it is not only a matter of choice, as it is an identity shaped by history and culture transmitted through generations. It is that common historical heritage which binds me together with those who live in the neighbouring political India.

I have been fortunate to know numerous Indians at both of my alma maters, Cornell University and Syracuse University. Some of my best friends are Indians and I am amazed at how much we have in common despite an apparently ‘hostile’ political situation between the two countries. And they do not belong to North India only (as it is often said that North India is culturally closer to Pakistan) but from the South as well. It is this commonality which transcends political and even ethnic and religious differences which binds me to them. I do not think of them as foes but as my brothers and sisters with whom I share a great common heritage.

And yet I will not apologise for Pakistan, as it is my country and I opened my eyes here. I will nevertheless reiterate that the creation of Pakistan, at least in my eyes, does not negate my Indian identity and origins. I would like to remind all those who are bent upon imposing the Arab Wahabi culture on us that it is alien to us.

Today, as our countries turn 70, I believe that realising our common identity is important, as it will lead to the erosion of bitterness. Yes, modern Pakistan and India are a reality, but then so is our great common heritage. Yes, it is important for us to be loyal to our political states, but at the same time not overlook the joint heritage.

There is an overarching identity which unites us despite our political differences. I sincerely wish we acknowledge that and move forward as independent but friendly political states.

I am a Pakistani Indian…

Raza Habib Raja
The author is a recent Cornell graduate and currently pursuing his PhD in political science at Maxwell School, Syracuse University. He has also worked for a leading development finance institution in Pakistan. He is a freelance journalist whose works have been published at Huffington Post, Dawn (Pakistan), Express Tribune (Pakistan) and Pak Tea House. He tweets @razaraja (twitter.com/razaraja?lang=en)

Last edited:

There is something about India as an idea which transcends modern-day political configurations. It is the idea of India as a huge mass of land which stretches from Balochistan to present day Bangladesh. This idea of India is independent of any political configuration.

In fact, during the past thousands of years, this mass of land has very seldom been a unified political entity. And yet, there is something which loosely unites the inhabitants despite their substantial religious and at times even ethno-linguistic differences. After all, let us not forget that more than 200 languages are spoken in India.

There is something, perhaps difficult to articulate, which enables this huge stretch of land to be called India irrespective of various political shapes it has assumed over thousands of years.

My country Pakistan was created only 70 years ago. In my eyes, the current political landscape consisting of India, Bangladesh and Pakistan is just one of the many political permutations the Indian subcontinent has witnessed over thousands of years. This current political formation does not mean that I have ceased to be an Indian.

Yes, at this point, I will say that I am a proud Pakistani. I opened my eyes here and I love it intensely despite the fact that I have often been severely critical of the way things are being run here. But at the same time, I would also like to say that I have an Indian identity as well.

I am the heir to the same rich past and I have the same claim to India as those who belong to modern political India. It is this great common heritage, underpinned by the idea of India independent of political configurations, which unites me with those who live in the present political entity of India. It is our common heritage irrespective of our different political, and for that matter even cultural differences – because modern political India also has many sub-cultures which differ substantially from each other – which unites us.

Yes, those who worship the idea of the Two-Nation Theory will negate it and ironically their sentiments will find endorsement by a Hindutva brigade. The former thinks that identity is perhaps a monolithic phenomenon and Pakistan equates to an antithesis of India. They think that identity is solely a political cum religious construct and since Pakistan is a separate political entity, we are now just Pakistanis in every respect of the way.

The political Pakistan means the fostering of a completely new identity and a complete divorce from the past. For them, their past starts from the point their ancestors converted to Islam and their identity morphs into something concrete only after the creation of Pakistan. And this group, consisting of so-called nationalists, is also wary of ethnic identities and aligns itself with the state cultivated narrative of “one Pakistan, one nation”.

On the other hand, the Indian right-wingers think that since Pakistan became a separate state, their country was “partitioned” and an unforgivable sin has been committed. By creating Pakistan, its inhabitants have divided mother India. They keep on talking about the glory of the Indus valley civilisation and mention India as a historically single political entity which in 1947 was divided along religious lines.

Well, needless to say, I disagree with both parties. My premise is that people have multiple identities. I am a Pakistani, a Punjabi, a Muslim, and of course an Indian in the sense I have mentioned above. In fact, we all have multiple identities. At times, one identity may become dominant due to certain circumstances and may even take on a strong political expression, such as a demand for a separate state. However, even if one does so, the other identities do not simply disappear.

So in my case, my Indian identity is there despite my Pakistani identity. I may not consciously ‘choose’ it, but for me it is not only a matter of choice, as it is an identity shaped by history and culture transmitted through generations. It is that common historical heritage which binds me together with those who live in the neighbouring political India.

I have been fortunate to know numerous Indians at both of my alma maters, Cornell University and Syracuse University. Some of my best friends are Indians and I am amazed at how much we have in common despite an apparently ‘hostile’ political situation between the two countries. And they do not belong to North India only (as it is often said that North India is culturally closer to Pakistan) but from the South as well. It is this commonality which transcends political and even ethnic and religious differences which binds me to them. I do not think of them as foes but as my brothers and sisters with whom I share a great common heritage.

And yet I will not apologise for Pakistan, as it is my country and I opened my eyes here. I will nevertheless reiterate that the creation of Pakistan, at least in my eyes, does not negate my Indian identity and origins. I would like to remind all those who are bent upon imposing the Arab Wahabi culture on us that it is alien to us.

Today, as our countries turn 70, I believe that realising our common identity is important, as it will lead to the erosion of bitterness. Yes, modern Pakistan and India are a reality, but then so is our great common heritage. Yes, it is important for us to be loyal to our political states, but at the same time not overlook the joint heritage.

There is an overarching identity which unites us despite our political differences. I sincerely wish we acknowledge that and move forward as independent but friendly political states.

I am a Pakistani Indian…

A good fit for the Kautilya thread.

A bit Tarek Fatah-esque .... too little, and way too late.

The horse bolted a long time ago.

And what stormed in through the open barn door is not too pretty. Nor Hindustani.

Cheers, Doc

I think the author's viewpoint gives clue to the answer for the present identity crisis. If only Pakistan's name was 'North-West India' or 'Islamic Republic of India' or something else more logical, there wouldn't have been any major identity issues to begin with.

Lol, this idiot has written how Pakistan was actually supposed to be a 'secular' state and God knows what. It's not a surprise that he works for Express Tribune.

Not even 0.01% of Pakistanis will share his views or take him seriously.

He is just another, mild version of Tarek Fatah. We do not have any concept of 'indian identity'...

indianess can go f*ck itself. We see india as an inferior, backward, hindu horde...and we are grateful we separated and made our Islamic Republic where we are not forced to worship cow and drink cow p!ss.

So yeah, there's your answer.

I think the author's viewpoint gives clue to the answer for the present identity crisis. If only Pakistan's name was 'North-West India' or 'Islamic Republic of India' or something else more logical, there wouldn't have been any major identity issues to begin with.

There's no 'identity issue' in Pakistan. Only idiots believe such crap.

Look at my post above..lol!

I am a Pakistani Indian…

Raza Habib Raja
The author is a recent Cornell graduate and currently pursuing his PhD in political science at Maxwell School, Syracuse University. He has also worked for a leading development finance institution in Pakistan. He is a freelance journalist whose works have been published at Huffington Post, Dawn (Pakistan), Express Tribune (Pakistan) and Pak Tea House. He tweets @razaraja (twitter.com/razaraja?lang=en)

Raza Habib Raja should by all means fvck off to India if he feels like an Indian. No one forced him to come to Pakistan and no one is forcing him to stay in Pakistan. Just give up your Pakistani nationality and apply for Indian citizenship. 70 years have gone by and these morons are still stuck with their head in their rear.

It is easy to throw around empty words when the enemy is bombing your people and destabilizing your country. All the savages that don't feel at home in Pakistan after the partition are free to leave and adopt India as their home. Pakistan wasn't created for cowards who feel like Indians. Pakistan was created for Pakistanis. Deal with it.

LOL at I am a Pakistani Indian… If only such a thing exists.

Last edited:
The point that idea of Pakistani is anti thesis to idea of India is what will never allow normal relations between these two countries. Unless, both the populations of India and Pakistan reconcile that the other country is a reality, peace is a illusion. And going by the present events, it seem for immediate future the acrimonious relations will exist between India and Pakistan.

idk about the article saying but nothing wrong with Title. As still Bengali or other migrant Pakistani are proud citizen but yes they and their progeny will have affiliation with their ancestors land. As political boundary may change so who knows :P :)

Bla bla bla, more nonsense.

We aren't the same, we simply aren't. We are Muslim, we believe in one God. They are not, they believe in hundreds of thousands of deities.

We are Punjabi, Pathan, Sindhi, Kashmiri and Baluchi among others. These groups are minuscule in terms of size in Hindustan, where as they dominate in Pakistan.

We adore the Ghaznavids and Mughals among others, they brought us Islam and their Persian culture has had a significant impact upon ours. Hindustanis have a sharp disdain for these people and view them as evil foreign Muslims.

Muslims (particularly Pakistanis) across the sub continent are pretty different to their Hindu counterparts, even if they deny it.

he is unique Hindu breed, Pakistan hate being called bharati..

Bla bla bla, more nonsense.

We aren't the same, we simply aren't. We are Muslim, we believe in one God. They are not, they believe in hundreds of thousands of deities.

We are Punjabi, Pathan, Sindhi, Kashmiri and Baluchi among others. These groups are minuscule in terms of size in Hindustan, where as they dominate in Pakistan.

We adore the Ghaznavids and Mughals among others, they brought us Islam and their Persian culture has had a significant impact upon ours. Hindustanis have a sharp disdain for these people and view them as evil foreign Muslims.

Muslims (particularly Pakistanis) across the sub continent are pretty different to their Hindu counterparts, even if they deny it.

We have a handful of cowards on our side who migrated from the other side and cannot let go of their delusions. They want to get slaughtered and raped in India just like the minorities. This freedom they got in Pakistan is too much to handle for these people. They can't appreciate it. The same can be said about Indians who migrated from our side to India and are daydreaming about unity and all that BS. Traumatized delusional cowards. 70 years have passed and these morons are stuck in some cave.

It can't happen. It can never ever happen. Ask the Indian Muslims who get butchered for eating and carrying cow meat. The differences are enormous and we cannot thank Allah enough for the creation of Pakistan.

These cowards who feel a connect should denounce their citizenship and simply leave, but guess what. They don't even have the balls to do that. Cowards is all they are. They will hide behind their cowardice and convey their frustration from time to time. All we can do is laugh at their pathetic behavior.

Last edited:

If anything, you're the ones with the identity crisis. India is a name derived from the river Indus, which flows through Pakistan lol.

We have a handful of cowards on our side who migrated from the other side and cannot let go of their delusions. They want to get slaughtered and raped in India just like the minorities. This freedom they got in Pakistan is too much to handle for these people. They can't appreciate it. The same can be said about Indians who migrated from our side to India and are daydreaming about unity and all that BS. Traumatized and delusional cowards. 70 years have passed and these morons are stuck in some cave.

It can't happen. It can never ever happen. Ask the Indian Muslims who get butchered for eating and carrying cow meat. The differences are enormous and we cannot thank Allah enough for the creation of Pakistan.

These cowards who feel a connect should denounce their citizenship and simply leave, but guess what. They don't even have the balls to do that. Cowards is all they are. They will hide behind their cowardice and convey their frustration from time to time. All we can do is laugh at their pathetic behavior.

Even without religion, we are ethnically different. For example, Punjabis form roughly 50% in Pakistan, where as in Hindustan they form only 3%.

Also, take a look at our languages. Sure, they may sound somewhat similar, but just look at how they are written. We write in Persian script, which looks nothing like how they write.

Last edited:
If anything, you're the ones with the identity crisis. India is a name derived from the river Indus, which flows through Pakistan lol.

It is even worse than you think. Look at his Twitter profile. He is a Noora. Jeysa leader weysa karkun.

Nawaz Sharif will send mangoes and sarees to Modi. His dear follower will worship his Indian heritage.

what crisis ?

Lol, this idiot has written how Pakistan was actually supposed to be a 'secular' state and God knows what. It's not a surprise that he works for Express Tribune.

Not even 0.01% of Pakistanis will share his views or take him seriously.

He is just another, mild version of Tarek Fatah. We do not have any concept of 'indian identity'...

indianess can go f*ck itself. We see india as an inferior, backward, hindu horde...and we are grateful we separated and made our Islamic Republic where we are not forced to worship cow and drink cow p!ss.

So yeah, there's your answer.

There's no 'identity issue' in Pakistan. Only idiots believe such crap.

Look at my post above..lol!
I couldn't of said it better

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom