What's new

Why PM Modi's body language was all wrong at BRICS summit

By Khyati Bhatt

It was somewhat disconcerting to watch Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s lacklustre performance in the first speech he gave to an international audience during the recent BRICS summit. While one can understand his nervousness on the occasion, but his apparent discomfort and lack of preparedness in making a speech in English showed that he was not the confident politician we saw during the election campaign. It was not the content of this speech, but his non-verbal behaviours that amounted to give his audience an exit ticket. Here are some of the more glaring ones.

Lack of eye contact: It is a must for any speaker to look into the audience’s eyes to connect with them. Normal eye contact would include looking at any one person in the audience for at least two or three seconds before moving on to another person. A good speaker normally looks around the seated audience, halting every few seconds to make eye contact with any one specific person, and then again moves his eyes around. Modi was so busy reading from his written speech that he barely glanced up for a few milliseconds, spending no time on eye contact whatsoever. This behaviour can get irritating and disengaging for the audience, for they could conclude that the speaker is not actually talking to them. If you must look at your notes, pause, refer to them, look up again and then continue.

Shifting feet: Throughout his speech, Modi shifted from one foot to the other, swinging like a pendulum, making it difficult to watch him with a steady gaze. This behaviour suggests his nervousness and perhaps a desire to be elsewhere. A good strategy for avoiding this shifty tendency is to stand with feet slightly apart. Better still would be to shift your position or stepping slightly forward and backward, after every point is completed.

Self touching gestures: Any self touching gestures, like clutching your arms, or touching your face, signify nervousness and apprehension. As Desmond Morris puts it in People Watching, “Self -intimacies are movements that provide comfort because they are unconsciously mimed acts of being touched by someone else.” They are a pseudo replacement for the need to be comforted. In some pictures, Modi can be seen massaging the fingers of one hand with the other, barely one minute into the speech.

Clutching the podium: Clutching the two ends of the podium is an easy way to release tension. But this locks the hands which can otherwise be used to highlight the points that one makes. Anyone who has watched Modi in other speeches back home would know that he is a master at using his hands for effective emphasis and illustration. The larger the audience, the more emphatic would be his hand movements to ensure that the people sitting on the last seats don’t miss his energy. One is only left guessing as to what happened to those hand movements during this particular speech in Brasilia.

Lack of correct expressions: If you turn off the volume, you cannot make out whether Modi is reading out a grocery list or proposing solutions that can take the BRICS nations forward to build a better tomorrow. A good speaker shows the ebbs and tides of emotional variations as his speech proceeds. Forget to show the expected level of enthusiasm and accompanying expressions and you will invite enable the audience to switch off their auditory receptors.

When the camera at the BRICS summit moved around the audience, you could see that the audience was not very impressed. At best, there were a few polite smiles being handed out to Modi. In circumstances like these, serious proposals, like the ones Modi was making, can be lost. It is therefore imperative for any good speaker to be aware of his non-verbal behaviour when he is on the stage. While it would certainly be challenging to focus on your behaviour as well as the content of your speech simultaneously, some practice beforehand can make the difference.

The BRICS summit clearly shows that Modi needs to do some homework on his speeches when he is on foreign soil and speaks English. His normal energy, which makes his Indian audiences hang on to his every word, was missing in Brasilia.

Why PM Modi's body language was all wrong at BRICS summit - Firstpost
---
the guy is in learning curve,,,
only those who want to learn and excel make mistake ..and rectify it...
its his 1st overse
as summit visit....
--
to miss kyati
recollect your 1st presentation/ performace in front of people...

Modi will eventually improve. :enjoy:

He should either get english classes or he should start speaking in hindi/gujarati on such occassions

is she even a journalist? pathetic really !
That obviously a very amateurish attempt at journalism! Obviously by one among thousands of Modi's detractors or haters!
The fact that Modi fought for the Bank to be established in India (Mumbai) and finally won the presidency for 6 years with the responsibility to get it up and running speaks volumes about the work that went into it.

Btw, why do we have to like a post to see its source link?

Last edited:
English speaking and Cultured Indians could not withstand the shock which was delivered on 16th of May by the common people of Bharat. Lutyen's club is totally rattled.

He should either get english classes or he should start speaking in hindi/gujarati on such occassions

Why should he not be his natural self? He doesn't need any Elite's certificate.

Oh my god!!! this is one of my idiotic articles i have read...this idiot is another elitist,,..let me guess...khangressi...from all i have heard...Modi has impressed the hell out of world leaders...for the first time in a long time...they have actually seen a indian pm behaving like a leader not pussy footing like MMS...

and plz put a link or else this will be considered as nothing but rant..

is she even a journalist? pathetic really !

Also females should just quit trying to be political pundits,,just dosen't suit them.

and he was not that bad either i think,,,i expected it to be cluster ****,thank god he was okay:lol::lol:

She's actually a body language consultant.
Why PM Modi's body language was all wrong at BRICS summit - Firstpost
Khyati Bhatt | Simply Body Talk

Last edited:
ouch... such bitterness by media fraternity for not getting a joyride in PM's plane, unlike in MMS's tenure!

Oh my god!!! this is one of my idiotic articles i have read...this idiot is another elitist,,..let me guess...khangressi...from all i have heard...Modi has impressed the hell out of world leaders...for the first time in a long time...they have actually seen a indian pm behaving like a leader not pussy footing like MMS...

and plz put a link or else this will be considered as nothing but rant..

Well I can't say i watched the entire speech but I did watch first few minutes... and i was a bit disappointed... there were pronunciation as well as dialect mistakes that PM did make ... only a couple though... also his tone n demeanour was a bit off... But he has 5 years so i won't complain...1st multilateral engagement.. i do not think he should be judged too harshly...

I do not think his vision or content of speech is being questioned... just the way he delivered it is.. but then to each his own... All i would say is wait n watch... he has hit the ground running...

I agree with the article on the body language aspect. Body language plays an important role. Modi has lot to improve on addressing international audience if he has to stand against likes of Obama Putin etc.

Eye contact, pitch of voice, pauses. hand gestures etc means a lot. Presentation matters a lot

But it was his first big speech at this level and I was rather impressed by content of the speech. Indian PMs are not that good. Modi's pace, body posture, handshakes were pretty strong.

Of course Xi and Putin kept the thump up while shaking the hand to show who is at charge.

All in all, what matters is one to one meeting.. There Modi has scored.

Remember, Chamberlain when met Hitler, Hitler promised him that he won't invade UK, and Chamberlain failed to notice the lie. This led to disastrous consequences.

There are few documentaries on Body Language on You Tube if you want to see which has cases of Nixon, Clinton, Bush, Obama etc.

I think the speech he gave at ISRO was not bad. Of course he does not have command on english but he can communicate

Why so much buzz about modi's English ? Do Abe, Xi and Putin give speeches in English?

I'd really like if modi give speeches in hindi only and make us all proud.

Now come to modi's body language : come on bitch it was modi's first big international event as prime minister. He's not used to of facing international leaders, media and diplomats. Give him some time and he'll be all good to go.

The US, UK and many western and some East Asian countries have image consultants embedded in the higher offices of government. India does too, but they are a rare lot. Many leaders (from India) end up thinking that what works in India, works everywhere else. That's not the case.

That said, I am pretty sure Modi will improve (knowing that he is a very self critical person and will be open to guidance ). But to slaughter him the way the author did? That's a big no no. Every leader has had some strenghts and some weaknesses in making public speeches.

She got a point and there is a lot of emphasis given on gestures and your overall behavior while delivering speeches.

I can't remember the name of the documentary but there is an hour long documentary on this whole subject that shows different world leaders .

Can't remember the name but is an exact name for this human science thing.

well, yes i felt this while watching the news, Modi was nervous.

Back
Top Bottom