What's new

Why Pakistan Produces Jihadists

Let me give it to you straight, the culprit is an American Citizen, much like the London tube bombers, who were British National.

Sir this line did not wash when your irritating foreign minister spouted it. It surely doesn't coming from you. He was a naturalised American citizen. As recently as a year old at that. You may choose to dabble in technicalities and semantics but the fact of the matter that has hit the world squarely between the eyes is that he is Pakistani. And the sad part is that there was a touch of inevitability about it when his nationality came to light. That's as straight as I can give it sir.

A mere visit to Pakistan doesn't turn them on their head and make them what they become.

Are we conveniently discounting his roots and his very DNA? His Pakistani armed forces elitist background? The country in which he was born, grew up and spent his impressionable years in, and to which he still has active and alive and kicking blood ties? Sorry, but even you can see that this line is not only lame, but paraplegic at that.

If any of these idiots had boarded a flight from Pakistan with a loaded rucksack, then you can bad mouth all your pathetic nonsense.

You mean like the ten who left Karachi on a boat? Maybe it was just easier getting an SUV locally than lugging it back with him from Karachi my friend. Ditto with propane tanks on international flights. Especially those originating from Pakistan.

Sir, I claimed that because while sharing your thoughts about Sadanand's thread opening article to the question "Why Pakistan Produces Jihadists", the following is what you were professing:

Like discussed earlier, the very fact that for sourcing the funds and the resources (both internally and internationally), the term Jehad was used for the Afgan war. Now that is already bringing in the religion. Is it not?

Was it a war for a democratic Afganistan or a benevolent act? In fact to quote your own worlds, you shared your thoughts about Pakistan's reasons for the Afgan war earlier in this thread as the following:

So to achieve its objectives the GoP resorted to creating an extremist version of Islam and enocouraged violence. In the process they created a huge pool of terror talent also in reserve from which it could draw a little bit later to also create a Jehad in Kashmir.

This investment in creating the valuable resource pool also helped bring in the Taliban (Students of Islam?) to power in Afganistan and begin their reign of terror in that country, and hence also achieving the objective of making Pakistan strategically deeper.

So you have to tell us what was it if not the Islamic Identity (canard?) that was used by the Pakistan Army and the GoP while advancing their goals internationally.

Now also internally in Pakistn during this period, a lot of international funds were used for creating "advance terror training schools" and (sadly) these were christened "madrasas".

Madrasas are Islamic institution for the study of the Quran and Islam and to suit the purpose of creating the extremism, the version of Islam being taught at these institutions was increasingly distorted towards creating the terrorist and extremist ideology.

Now tell me if this was not done in the garb of Islamic Identity?

Hence my comments that you are contradicting yourself when you say that the terror factories in Pakistan have nothing to do with the Islamic identity that your country has long espoused to the champion of.
A lot of erroneous assertions in there - the Mujahideen and their training camps were not set up as 'terror factories', they were set up as training camps for rebels fighting an occupation. The same with the Madrassa's, they were not set up and funded, primarily by the Arabs, to create terrorists and suicide bombers, but to preach a particular interpretation of Islam and motivate individuals to fight against an invasion and occupation. I would appreciate it, if you are going to continue this discussion, that you not distort history and the facts and ascribe to Pakistan and its policies attributes that they never possessed. Jihad is not something unique to the form of Islam taught in those madrassas nor is it something unique to Pakistan, and in the context of the Soviet occupation the call to Jihad against the occupation was a legitimate use of that particular religious tenet.

The Madrassas created during that time were not set up because of something specific to 'Pakistan's DNA' or identity, but from an 'Islamic POV. The fact that many of them were funded and created by the Arabs indicates that the creation of the Madrassa's transcended 'Pakistan's Islamic identity', and tapped into a global Islamic sentiment that the occupation of Afghanistan had to be fought, and that there was a religious obligation to fight against that occupation. What Dhume argues is that somehow this was all specific to Pakistan alone - had there been another Muslim nation in Pakistan's place, allied with the US, the policy decisions at the time would have been similar.

That is where Dhume's analysis, questioning Pakistan's identity alone (he specifically goes out of his way to contrast Pakistan with other Muslim nations) is flawed, and why there is no contradiction in my criticism of Dhume.
Though the above situations were surely not the beginning of the use of Islamic Identity by the army and the government of Pakistan (did it not start with Ayub Khan if not by Jinnah when stated that Pakistan will be a state for Muslims?), but is was surely not the last.
Jinnah spoke of a Muslim identity, not an Islamic identity - there is a difference.

As I mentioned earlier, put an Islamic/Muslim state other than Pakistan in Pakistan's place, facing the same geo-political situation and threats, and the response would have likely been the same, since Jihad against injustice and occupation would have been a rallying cry for any Muslim in that situation, especially when the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan could also be extrapolated to represent a threat to the Muslim/Islamic nation bordering it.

Your argument is that because Pakistan was Muslim/Islamic, it chose certain policies of encouraging Jihad and Madrassas to motivate rebels to fight Soviet occupation, but since Jihad is a central tenet of Islam, the only other option would have been if Pakistan was a non-Muslim majority State, which is obviously a ludicrous proposition.

And then we arrive at your following further contradiction.

So what does LeT and JuD claim to represent in Pakistan? Do they not go to the "awaam" saying that they represent the fight for Islam and the Jehad against the Hindus, Zionists, and the Kafir Americans and the world in general? Is their immediate agenda in Kashmir not laced with the hatred that they preach for other religions and countries and claim that they will hoist the "Sabz Hilali Parcham" on the Red Fort and in Washington and Tel Aviv and whatever they claim otherwise?
Yes what does the awaam think LeT and JuD claim? See that is the problem, you have no evidence to back up your argument that the awaam that supports the LeT/JuD believes it is supporting the above, whereas I have clearly pointed to polls that show the overwhelming majority opposes terrorism and attacks on innocents. If you have data indicating that the people who support the LeT/JuD do so because the want to see a 'Ghazwa-e-Hind' or 'elimination of all Kafirs' then please show me - without that all you are doing is engaging in hateful speculation and ascribing hateful views to Pakistanis.

For example, I consider my self well read and informed, yet the first I heard of HS's speeches and the agenda mentioned in the articles you refer to was on this forum, from links provided by Indians. To argue that the people who support the LeT/JuD are aware of all that content and support all of it is a flawed assertion. People don't even vote for politicians because they agree with every thing the politician says or stands for - typically it is because the politician supports something(s) that top the list of priorities for an individual. For most people who support LeT/JuD, from my conversations with them, that is the liberation of J&K from Indian occupation.

Is there are hardcore following of these organizations that is aware of everything they stand for and supports that entire agenda? Certainly, but to then argue that EVERYONE who supports the LeT and JuD falls in that category is illogical. To show that you will have to ask more than just 'do you support the LeT/JuD', and instead ask people specifically 'why they support LeT/JuD', or whether they support the position of 'Ghazwa-e-Hind' or 'kill the Kaafirs' or 'are attacks on innocents, non-Muslim & Muslim' justified?

The leader of the banned outfit, who clearly timed his rally ahead of the Indo-Pak talks, told a huge gathering of his supporters that jihad was the only option left as India would never let go of Kashmir. Threatening India with dire consequences he further said that India would suffer the same fate over Kashmir as the Soviet Union in
Afghanistan and the US reverses in Afghanistan.

Exactly - this is his major selling point, given that Kashmir is an important issue for a lot of Pakistanis.

I am not creating a definition of the LeT in own "luldicrous" way Sir. These are a mere sampling of the informaiton available on the net from several sources alike that I quoted above for your kind perusal. And that will be the case because the above is what LeT and JuD profess in their pamplets and their ideology when they make the speeches to the masses in Pakistan.
I did not say your definition of LeT/JuD's agenda was ludicrous, I said your argument that everyone who supports the above two organizations does so while being aware and agreeing with the entire LeT/JuD agenda as described in the articles you posted is ludicrous. I don't support the LeT, am pretty internet savvy and informed, and even I haven't read most of the stuff you posted.

In fact all of that points exactly opposite to the fact that in their quest to achieve their political and terrotarial objectives the army and government of Pakistan yielded space to such extremist ideology of Islam in the Pakistani society. Unfortunately they were very successful and we are asking the questions "Why Pakistani Produces Jehadists".
Correct, the GoP and Military did utilize these groups and Islamic ideology to achieve political and military objectives, but that was a policy decision influenced by geo-political dynamics and threats, and not something inherent to 'Pakistan's DNA or identity' while not being so for other Muslim nations.

As I said before, put another Muslim nation in Pakistan's place facing the same geo-political dynamics and threats and you might have the same results. Alternatively, change the course of historical events - no dispute over Kashmir, no Afghan refusal to accept Pakistan and support for terrorism in Pakistan, a Pakistani alliance/friendship with the Soviet Union, different leadership, no military coups etc. and with the same Pakistan there might be different results.

The problem with your and Dhume's contention is that you take a myopic approach to the situation, and because of an anti-Pakistan bias/prejudice automatically blame 'Pakistan's identity and DNA', when the reality is that any Muslim nation in Pakistan's position might have done the same, and Pakistan's policies were the result of complex geo-political dynamics and threat perceptions.

It is a highly flawed and narrow minded approach, that seeks to bolster an existing anti-Pakistan mindset and narrative.

So how did his country choices work on his thinking. You mentiond that he wanted to go in to Afgan Jehad. Now why would he do that. Surely the objective of the Pakistani army and government at that time were being achieved very clearly because the informational and educational environment at that time would have clearly put such thoughts in the mind of a child coming from a very educated and open disposition thinking type of family.

And then you ask me if the Islamic identity (not a canard anymore please Sir), was not used in shaping the thoughts and perceptions of the people of Pakistan by their government and the army (sort of what would sound like "brainwashing" to us un-informed individuals?)

Our learning is cognitive and also reactive/responsive.
Flawed argument, because were his decisions based on a Pakistani narrative, why did he not do so in his teens or twenties? Why did thousands of Arabs, Chechens, Turks and European born and bred Pakistani and non-Pakistani origin Muslims join both the Jihad in Afghanistan during Soviet times, and after the US invasion, and continue to do so?

Were the participants in these events solely Pakistanis, you might have a valid argument. Were a majority of Pakistanis subscribing to these views, you might have an argument. You pose a question that you left unanswered, 'Now why would he do that?'

He would do that because of a perception that his people were under attack from the US, because of a perception that his people were being massacred by the US, because some Imam somewhere, directly or indirectly (at this point some suggest a Yemeni, but it is not confirmed) influenced him in his later life to commit a crime to avenge a perceived crime.

So all of the above points exactly to the fact that the biggest challenge at hand for the polity of Pakistan is that they thin and moderate this Islamic Identity and ideology that has now brought their nation and its mostly innocent citizens to this precipice and retreat before all is lost for their nation and also for this region.
No it doesn't - the Islamic identity is not the problem, the problem remains eliminating havens for militant groups, and acting against extremist Islamic ideology, whether spread through a neighborhood mosque or through the internet, and working to negate its effects.

By accepting the problem, I am sure that solutions and also diverse help from several quaters will be more than forthcoming. Using religion as a tool to gain politcal and territorial ambitions never worked.
An improper diagnosis that misses the woods for the trees, as you have suggested, won't help much at all. The problem is reversing the loss of State control over various regions and entities, and winning the ideological battle against extremism, not against Islam or an Islamic identity.
My only argument is that Pakistan's army and its government unbashedly corrupted the religion and its preachings and its systems thereby creating a twisted Islamic Identity (still a canard Sir?) to achieve their political, dictatorial, regional and territorial ambitions.
Pakistan and its government did no such thing as a matter of policy, that is an outright lie. Distortion and corruption of religion happened on its own accord, given the peculiar cultural and political environment in which it evolved. I will warn you once again to not ascribe false attributes to Pakistan's policies - there was never any intent to corrupt or distort, to produce suicide bombers and terrorists. The intent was solely to utilize a central tenet of Islam to motivate rebels to fight against occupation and subjugation, a noble cause. That it evolved into the monster it is today is unfortunate, but not something forecast or planned by those that devised the policy.

Last edited:
So to achieve its objectives the GoP resorted to creating an extremist version of Islam and enocouraged violence. In the process they created a huge pool of terror talent also in reserve from which it could draw a little bit later to also create a Jehad in Kashmir.

Unfortunately you are not aware of the issue at hand, GoP did not have much to do with, it was strictly a military affair. A design of many countries to use Jihad and equally promote a violent version of Islam to defeat the Soviets.

Did you know that there were military instructors from USA, Pakistan, Republic of China and Egypt working to train the mujahideen in the tribal areas of Pakistan.

This was an equal and multi partnered creation that you seem to pindown on Pakistan alone. Now with the other countries not being used as a staging ground for training, Pakistan was left with a high number of militants who did not know anything or knew another trade.

And this terror talent were Freedom Fighters in the eyes of many except Soviets and its pals lke India.

Sir this line did not wash when your irritating foreign minister spouted it. It surely doesn't coming from you. He was a naturalised American citizen. As recently as a year old at that. You may choose to dabble in technicalities and semantics but the fact of the matter that has hit the world squarely between the eyes is that he is Pakistani. And the sad part is that there was a touch of inevitability about it when his nationality came to light. That's as straight as I can give it sir.
He was a naturalized citizen who was raised a liberal and for most of his life lived as a liberal.

While he was living in the US something changed in him - now whether that was a trip to Pakistan, a you-tube video of an Imam, financial problems, the deaths of civilians in NATO military operations, a combination of the above and other reasons, we don't really know. But the details of his life mentioned in the NYT, and accounts from friends and families familiar with him point to a change in his later life.

To automatically blame that change towards extremism on Pakistan is incorrect, though it does appear, at the moment, that he allegedly got 'bomb making training' in Pakistan. But the training came after the change, and from the perspective of this discussion it is important to discover what caused it. That said, avenues of training must be closed as well (the current military operations). Also, the training did not help much, since the device he put together was amateurish and would not have caused an explosion even if it had ignited - just set the SUV on fire.

Are we conveniently discounting his roots and his very DNA? His Pakistani armed forces elitist background? The country in which he was born, grew up and spent his impressionable years in, and to which he still has active and alive and kicking blood ties? Sorry, but even you can see that this line is not only lame, but paraplegic at that.
What about his roots and DNA and background? Everything about those indicates that he was raised a liberal and lived a liberal, until he was living in the US, at which point he underwent a change in his mindset. If one is going to engage in speculative balderdash, then why not blame life in the US for his radicalization? After all, so long as he was living his 'elitist PAF' lifestyle with his friends and family in Pakistan he was completely fine.

Unfortunately you are not aware of the issue at hand, GoP did not have much to do with, it was strictly a military affair. A design of many countries to use Jihad and equally promote a violent version of Islam to defeat the Soviets.

Did you know that there were military instructors from USA, Pakistan, Republic of China and Egypt working to train the mujahideen in the tribal areas of Pakistan.

This was an equal and multi partnered creation that you seem to pindown on Pakistan alone. Now with the other countries not being used as a staging ground for training, Pakistan was left with a high number of militants who did not know anything or knew another trade.

And this terror talent were Freedom Fighters in the eyes of many except Soviets and its pals lke India.

Exactly, everyone thought it was a fine idea, the West, the Arabs, the Pakistanis. No one thought that it would morph into what it did. Yet somehow Indians like to argue as if Pakistan had this planned all along, and forced it on everyone else.

While he was living in the US something changed in him - now whether that was a trip to Pakistan, a you-tube video of an Imam, financial problems, the deaths of civilians in NATO military operations, a combination of the above and other reasons, we don't really know. But the details of his life mentioned in the NYT, and accounts from friends and families familiar with him point to a change in his later life.

It was indeed the website of the American-Yemeni cleric who was killed in America that altered his views.

His friends said he became deeply religious while in america and distanced himself from many things.

Though many people would have loved to see something which indicated that he was brainwashed in Pak, it was infact US where he got into the whole jihad thing through the website of Awlaki and the drone strikes in Pakistan pushed him to the edge.

Someone posted a link, check it out.

More Balanced Article pertaining to the subject matter. I guess message is approximately the same, but the language might be more palatable for my Pakistani friends.

Actually, Cyril does not argue anything close to what Sadanand Dhume, Deepak, Toxic and the rest of the gang have been arguing.

His arguments are closer to mine in that he calls for increased action against militant infrastructure and the ideology, and is not calling into question 'Pakistan's DNA' and the other canards raised by the aforementioned individuals.

"What exactly is driving people like Shahzad to embrace this madness? Here’s a seemingly normal 30-year-old Pakistani man who has made it good, entering the West through the front door in search of educational and employment opportunities. He’s got two kids, a pretty, happy wife and has a vain streak (if his Orkut pictures are anything to go by). What set him off on the path of madness?

To ask this question isn’t to embrace the self-serving theories about ‘legitimate’ Muslim grievances and the oppression of Palestinians and the war in Iraq feeding a murderous rage among Muslim youth.

It’s to identify a potentially catastrophic security threat and deal with it adequately. Frankly, it is impossible to ensure that there will never be another Shahzad. No response to any threat can ever guarantee a zero failure rate.

But as the global jihadists have realised that penetrating the western defences from outside post-9/11 has become more difficult, they appear to be working on potential threats from within.

It took eight years between Ramzi Yousef’s bombing of the World Trade Centre and 9/11. That the jihadis have failed to launch a serious attack inside the US may only be a matter of time of finding a smarter Shahzad or a smarter bunch of five disaffected boys from Virigina.

Yet, that’s a problem for America, the UK and other western countries to figure out. Here in Pakistan, the Shahzad case ought to have the alarms bells ringing even more furiously.

Why is it so easy for all these wannabe jihadists form the West to travel to Pakistan and plug into the world of religious extremism here?

Fata may be a tribal backwater, an anachronism in the 21st century. But there are no direct flights to Mir Ali or Miranshah. The first port of call for the wannabe western jihadis is Karachi, Lahore or Islamabad.

It’s in the cities and towns that the wannabe jihadists begin their search, usually by looking for a local mosque or madressah or religious centre of some sort run by some guy with connections to the world of militancy.

If some idiot with a murderous agenda from Connecticut or Viriginia can find these linkages, then why can’t the state here? The short answer is, it can. Your local cop or crime reporter can identify the suspicious neighbourhoods, mosques and madressahs. It’s not exactly a great mystery.

Surely, 10 years since 9/11 and three since Lal Masjid, the state ought to have done more to dismantle the urban links to the hotbeds of militancy in Fata. Why are the CDs glorifying suicide bombers still so easily available outside certain mosques? Why is the sectarian hate literature disseminated so widely? Why are the audio tapes urging people to take up arms against ‘infidels’ so readily accessible? It would be naïve, certainly premature, to assume the infrastructure of jihad in urban Pakistan is the sole, or even main, reason Shahzad turned to radical Islam. But surely the fact that it is so easily accessible contributes to people like Shahzad, or future Shahzads, acting on their newly discovered hate.

Yes, just like American anti-gun control activists argue that it isn’t guns that kill people, it’s people who kill people, the jihad infrastructure here isn’t setting off bombs, it’s people who are setting off bombs. But why is Pakistan being an enabler of this stuff?

True, all of the hateful material is easily available online but you don’t become a would-be bomber by sitting behind a computer screen. That’s why these guys travel abroad. But why are they travelling to Pakistan and not, say, Egypt or Syria or even Sudan or Somalia?

It’s possible to read too much into the Pakistan connection, each case being unique and having its own set of circumstances. But it’s also possible to read too little into it. If you remove the conspiracy blinkers, the dots only connect in so many ways.

For sure, going in guns blazing isn’t the answer either, as the extraordinary blowback from the bungled Lal Masjid operation has proved. You don’t want to create another mess while trying to clean up an existing mess.

But so long as you or I or some idiot like Shahzad can all too easily find jihadi inspiration and worse in Pakistan proper, we aren’t really doing much to clean up the original mess, are we?"

It was indeed the website of the American-Yemeni cleric who was killed in America that altered his views.

His friends said he became deeply religious while in america and distanced himself from many things.

Though many people would have loved to see something which indicated that he was brainwashed in Pak, it was infact US where he got into the whole jihad thing through the website of Awlaki and the drone strikes in Pakistan pushed him to the edge.

Someone posted a link, check it out.

Well again, most of the European terrorists get radicalized in Europe, the underwear bomber radicalized in the UK, Nadal Hassan and this guy appear to have been radicalized while in the US, the former two with no connection to Pakistan. Their connections to Pakistan arise from the fact that there is a war in Afghanistan and FATA, and the State is struggling to reassert control in various areas, and in the interim, that vacuum is being exploited by militant groups, whom they seek for training, AFTER they have already been radicalized in the West or elsewhere outside of Pakistan.

I fail to see what arguments of 'Pakistan's DNA and identity' have to do with anything here, other than canards and opportunistic propaganda by some to malign Pakistan.

Last edited:
Well again, most of the European terrorists get radicalized in Europe, the underwear bomber radicalized in the UK, Nadal Hassan and this guy appear to have been radicalized while in the US, the former two with no connection to Pakistan. Their connections to Pakistan arise from the fact that there is a war in Afghanistan and FATA, and the State is struggling to reassert control in various areas, and in the interim, that vacuum is being exploited by militant groups, whom they seek for training, AFTER they have already been radicalized in the West or elsewhere outside of Pakistan.

I fail to see what arguments of 'Pakistan's DNA and identity' have to do with anything here, other than canards and opportunistic propaganda by some to malign Pakistan.

This is a golden oppurtunity for people such as Mr Zakaria to spew out the venom that is ever present within such people. Lets just hope that we do not stoop down to such standards that we use one person to malign a whole nation and 170 million of its people, quite a few of whom are not even muslim and most have worked tirelessly for a good cause, even if it is just feeding or education their families.

We shall remeber the words said to us by these people, this is nothing but opportunistic propaganda that is on a roll only becuase of this weak minded wannabe terrorist.

Who has thus far acknowledged the great loss suffered by Pakistan due to this war, it is essential that we continue to highlight our achievements and also condemn the bad few in our society. But we cannot change the thinking of oppurtunistic minds who are present a dime a dozen in so called 'well respected media outlets'.

How did any of that contradict the point I made?

Do the people who donate to LeT or JuD research the group on Wikipedia, Jamestown or satp.org? You are pulling up articles that fit your definition of what the LeT is, and then insisting that any Pakistani who supports LeT does so while having full knowledge of articles such as those, and believing the conclusions made in those articles to be valid. That is a ludicrous proposition.

So are the people who donate to a terroris organization w/o knowing that it is such absolved of their association with terrorism.. I dont think so.. Its the same as ignorance of law is not an excuse to break one...This holds true even more since LeT has been a declared terrorist organization within Pakistan for long. Somehow the logic that people of Pakistan dont know this, doesnt hold water...

The point I am making is that just because people support XYZ group does not mean they support ABC actions. That is why I specifically pointed out that the impression about the LeT, and even more so the JuD, amongst a lot of people is not one of a terrorist organization, but of an insurgent group fighting against Indian security forces 'occupying' J&K. Furthermore, I pointed to polls in the past few years that have consistently shown that an overwhelming majority of Pakistanis reject terrorism and attacks on civilians.
So will a bunch of people who say that their impression of TTP is that of a group who is fighting for installation of Islamic Shariya rule in NWFP and hence they materially support TTP be pardoned of that association?? I would be highly surprised..

All of that points to the fact that there is no ideological 'brainwashing', because of the identity of the Pakistani State, that predisposes Pakistanis towards extremism or terrorism.

Take a look at Faisal Shahzad's bio for example: brought up in a moderate, and perhaps even liberal family. Educated in Pakistan and the US, and according to friends and family did not start changing until about a year or so ago. At that point he asked his father about going to Afghanistan for Jihad, and was forbidden, with his father telling him that in Islam his duty was to his wife and children first and foremost - that is not the picture of man raised to hate, wage war or be an extremist.

Now reports in the US suggest that he is claiming he was motivated by a Yemeni cleric.

All of this once more points to the fact that Pakistan, its identity, its education system, had no role to play here, and FS's turn to extremism came at a much later date, due to a variety of factors that had nothing to do with Pakistan's identity.

I dont disagree that what you are saying can be true. But the instance of Faisal Shahzad's case does not prove the point. There are significantly more examples to the contrary..

I however agree with you that its not Pakistan that breeds jihadists. However the policies of some of its rulers has had that effect. Gen Zia was one such example. I also believe that the recent establishments in Pakistan have been trying to reverse this effect but the success has been moderate..

One more time my friend I am about to shock you as you are clearly not aware of what USA has done in its past. The below quoted summary proves that US did indeed approved Pakistan building nuclear weapons.

I'm not shocked by what you've quoted. These passages do not reveal what you claim. "Approval" would imply favoring, or endorsing, or certifying the project. That's not what happened. More like reluctant acquiescence, the product of the tough bargain Pakistani leaders made with the U.S. Before the Russians invaded Afghanistan the U.S. was trying different ways to stop the Pakistani nuclear program. Afterward, the U.S. accepted that although Pakistan's pursuit of nuclear weapons wasn't really in America's interest (and was of dubious value to Pakistan itself) with Iran no longer an ally there was no way to support the Afghan resistance without giving in to at least some Pakistani demands. That is a long way from "support", and not even close to approval.

Don't mischaracterize the U.S.-Pak relationship. Pakistani leaders aren't U.S. puppets or anointed from Washington, D.C.; they are sovereign, and responsible for their own acts. The only thing the U.S. can do to lessen their corruption is to press for more accountability or withhold aid. The rest is up to you.

I'm not shocked by what you've quoted. These passages do not reveal what you claim. "Approval" would imply favoring, or endorsing, or certifying the project. That's not what happened. More like reluctant acquiescence, the product of the tough bargain Pakistani leaders made with the U.S. Before the Russians invaded Afghanistan the U.S. was trying different ways to stop the Pakistani nuclear program. Afterward, the U.S. accepted that although Pakistan's pursuit of nuclear weapons wasn't really in America's interest (and was of dubious value to Pakistan itself) with Iran no longer an ally there was no way to support the Afghan resistance without giving in to at least some Pakistani demands. That is a long way from "support", and not even close to approval.

Don't mischaracterize the U.S.-Pak relationship. Pakistani leaders aren't U.S. puppets or anointed from Washington, D.C.; they are sovereign, and responsible for their own acts. The only thing the U.S. can do to lessen their corruption is to press for more accountability or withhold aid. The rest is up to you.

So you do not consider former President Nixon saying that he is in favour of Pakistan Nuclear program as an approval of sorts. If the US president told me that he is in favour of something, I will consider it as an approval.

Similarly support came through USG not allowing Israel to attack Pakistan who were already bombing AQ Khan's associates. US also asked the dutch not to arrest AQ Khan and some high level officials tipped off Pakistan when they were about to get cauht. This is called support in my dictionary.

Endorsement came in the from of financial aid that went to AQ khan laboratories and US knew as to where the money was going.

As for our relation, I agree that Pakistani leaders are responsible for their own acts but I never said that they take orders from US in the first place, they are approved however. But Pakistan is clever too as it plays with the hand it gets dealt with. But US works for its interest as evident from all that has happened till today and Pakistan works for its interest, perhaps when the interests are similar then we work well.

How about relaying this info to USG officials that Pakistan and US can have a long and fruitful relation based on trust and respect, which we have in abundance for you anyway. To achieve this, we can work together, solve problems that affect us both and develop a mechanism of promoting peace and goodwill amongst people.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom