What's new

Why Pakistan Produces Jihadists

Why has no one mentioned the Madrasas that make it their mission in life to fill the heads of the young with extremist poison. and serve as recruiting grounds for the Taliban? Until the Government reigns them in The extremists will have a never ending supply of recruits.

I think you are over reacting a little. Not all Madrasas are the problem. Only those Madrasas are which were once working for CIA to produce foot soldiers and send them in Afghanistan to fight USSR. Now, if you having the taste of you own medicine, don't blame others.

I think you are over reacting a little. Not all Madrasas are the problem. Only those Madrasas are which were once working for CIA to produce foot soldiers and send them in Afghanistan to fight USSR. Now, if you having the taste of you own medicine, don't blame others.

I wasn't aware that asking a legitimate question is over reacting. And I know not all are bad. But many are known that are extremist havens and recruiting grounds. how many there are would be hard to know since so many are unregistered. In 2008 there was estimated to be over 40,000 in Pakistan. and it wasn't the CIA producing foot soldiers from them during the Soviet invasion. Do you really think the ISI would have allowed them to do that?

A Pakistani-American girl, only 12, refused to go to school on Tuesday, saying she fears other students will ask her questions about the suspect held in New York for a failed attempt to bomb Times Square.

Another girl, 11, went to school when her mother persuaded her to but the mother had to go back to school during the lunch break to counsel her.

A 53-year old man throttled his laughter at a dinner in a Virginia restaurant as a US television channel identified the suspect as a Pakistani-American. “That’s it. We are cooked,” he remarked.

“Sad, very sad,” said Maleeha Lodhi, a former Pakistani ambassador to the US and Britain who is now working on a book in Washington. “It will hurt all Pakistanis, particularly those living in the United States.”

The Pakistani American Public Affairs Committee condemned the Times Square attempted bomb plot and appreciated the efforts of the US enforcement agencies for saving hundreds of lives.

“PAKPAC is shocked and saddened to learn that the prime suspect is of Pakistani heritage,” said a statement issued in Washington.

“This individual or any accomplice should be tried and punished under American judicial system. Whether this is an act of a lone individual or a group, it harms everyone and benefits no one.”

As a community, Pakistani-Americans have “zero tolerance for such acts as they damage and disrupt the way of life of all Americans”.

PAKPAC also welcomed the full cooperation offered by the Pakistani government.

America’s largest Muslim civil liberties and advocacy organisation, CAIR held a special news conference in Washington to condemn the bombing attempt.

CAIR leaders assured other Americans that Muslims living in America were as “peace loving as any other group” and stood ready to assist the administration’s efforts to root out terrorism.

These immediate reactions in and around the US capital reflect the fears and trepidations of the Pakistani and Muslim communities in North America as they brace themselves for possible repercussions of the involvement of yet another Pakistani in an alleged terror plot.

Raza Jafri recalled walking near the White House a day after 9/11 when two men stopped him and his wife and shouted: “Terrorists, terrorists. Arrest them.”

The first thing he did was to ask his wife not to wear Pakistani dress in public until it was safe to do so. “It can get worse now,” he said.

At a religious gathering in Springfield Virginia, Imam Wali prayed that “all those who are giving a bad name to Islam and Pakistan may be shown the right path.”

Muhammad Younas Ansari of Lahore asked his Pakistani-American friends, “why are you so unhappy here? I have never heard of Indian or Bangladeshi Muslims being involved in such activities, why?”

One of his friends thought that some Pakistanis living in America suffered from a major cultural shock. “No matter how unhappy a Pakistani says he is in America, he does not want to go back,” said the friend.

“The Pakistanis enjoy the benefits of living in America. Love earning dollars. Love the prosperity that the dollar brings. They love showing off their dollars when they go to Pakistan. Yet, they never tire of criticising America. They think Pakistan is a paradise but all are afraid of returning home.”

Hamza Muhammad of Falls Church, Virginia, noted that the entire Pakistani society shared the blame for allowing religious extremists and fanatics to function. “They never tire of condemning the extremists but also never take any practical step to purge them,” he observed.

“How should we, living in America contribute to the fight against terrorism?” asked Tahira Mussarat Hussain, a Maryland resident.

“We are against fanaticism but our voices are not heard. We want the whole world to know that we oppose all messages of hate.”

Mr Siddiqui, another Pakistani-American who only gave his last name, said that Pakistan needed to “deal with the root cause” of terrorism.

He suggested massive reform of the education system, which should include “revision of textbooks that preach hate against other religions, closure of all those madressahs that indulge in hate-mongering and more money for the right type of education”.

DAWN.COM | International | Fear grips Pakistani-Americans

Last edited:
I wasn't aware that asking a legitimate question is over reacting. And I know not all are bad. But many are known that are extremist havens and recruiting grounds. how many there are would be hard to know since so many are unregistered. In 2008 there was estimated to be over 40,000 in Pakistan. and it wasn't the CIA producing foot soldiers from them during the Soviet invasion. Do you really think the ISI would have allowed them to do that?

Yes. I think so.

If the exact same thing were written by an American, I would call it 'Indian influenced drivel'.

Yeah because all the bad press that Pakistan gets is because of India or Indian influence. :rolleyes:

Typical deflection tactic. Instead of talking about the issues, negating all the problems with a convenient scapegoat. Sad really.

Yeah because all the bad press that Pakistan gets is because of India or Indian influence. :rolleyes:

Typical deflection tactic. Instead of talking about the issues, negating all the problems with a convenient scapegoat. Sad really.

I agree with you on the core of the argument that we have to look at the main issue and tackle it, but one still cant negate the fact that the article the Agno was referring to is more fictional then facts. And it is more of an attention seeker by giving unwarranted publicity to certain fabricated facts by ignoring the ground realities. Also I completely didnt understand the fact that why did he have to bring in the mention of Mr. Asad who was the first representative of Pakistan to US and was a convert to Islam. What does that have to do with the issues of today. :pakistan:

If all the terrorists have a connection with Pakistan,then this reflects a failure in part of Pakistan's society and institutions.Something is seriously wrong which has to be corrected by educated Pakistanis.Islam is religion of peace.No body can deny that.Islamophobia is wrong but the current situation raises a question:Where did the teachings go wrong?
Going back to 80s ISI gave rise to mujahids to fight USSR but why did it overlook them in later years?Just so that they can bleed India?But has the anger against US gone mainstream?
Just saying my name is Khan and I am not a terrorist is not going to help anymore.I understand the resentment it builds in the minds of normal Pakistanis,that they are being stereotyped,but now they have to make a choice.renunciate extremists.Bring them to justice,Dont be proud of mujahids,hunt them down....

If all the terrorists have a connection with Pakistan,then this reflects a failure in part of Pakistan's society and institutions.Something is seriously wrong which has to be corrected by educated Pakistanis.Islam is religion of peace.No body can deny that.Islamophobia is wrong but the current situation raises a question:Where did the teachings go wrong?
Going back to 80s ISI gave rise to mujahids to fight USSR but why did it overlook them in later years?Just so that they can bleed India?But has the anger against US gone mainstream?
Just saying my name is Khan and I am not a terrorist is not going to help anymore.I understand the resentment it builds in the minds of normal Pakistanis,that they are being stereotyped,but now they have to make a choice.renunciate extremists.Bring them to justice,Dont be proud of mujahids,hunt them down....

How conveniently you guys forget the role the Americans themselves played in nurturing the Nazis that we call the talibans. This issue is not as simple as Black and White as you guys are trying to put it. tell me apart from the 9-11 attack which other country had so severely been hit and damaged by terrorism then Pakistan its self. There is nothing wrong in the teachings any where. These people dont represent any thing. If any thing they have managed to kill more Muslims then they have killed otherwise. People are taking steps to tackle the issue, but to put the blame completely on Pakistan is nonsensical at best. This guy was living in the US for a long time. So if anything the american authorities have to look with in their own country and find the culprits.

Its wrong to blame the entire Muslim community for the deeds of these few A$$ holes,but one cannot deny that already these few people have damaged the society enough that makes the entire religion suffer and have already gained a bad name for Islam,which cannot be washed away from the minds of common people (especialy in the west) so easily.....hope someday they realise the true teachings of their religion and give up these practices.

If the exact same thing were written by an American, I would call it 'Indian influenced drivel'.

The most difficult part of finding a solution is understanding the problem = Albert Einstien

There are relevant reflections on identification of the problem in the WSJ article. Why be so closed to look at the problem and understand it.

Whatever you may call the article but the relevant fact is that Pakistan has not been able to find a solution. Probably because they do not want to understand the problem by calling it "Indian influnced drivel"?

A 53-year old man throttled his laughter at a dinner in a Virginia restaurant as a US television channel identified the suspect as a Pakistani-American. “That’s it. We are cooked,” he remarked.

“Sad, very sad,” said Maleeha Lodhi, a former Pakistani ambassador to the US and Britain who is now working on a book in Washington. “It will hurt all Pakistanis, particularly those living in the United States.”

The Pakistani American Public Affairs Committee condemned the Times Square attempted bomb plot and appreciated the efforts of the US enforcement agencies for saving hundreds of lives.

“PAKPAC is shocked and saddened to learn that the prime suspect is of Pakistani heritage,” said a statement issued in Washington.

As a community, Pakistani-Americans have “zero tolerance for such acts as they damage and disrupt the way of life of all Americans”.

CAIR leaders assured other Americans that Muslims living in America were as “peace loving as any other group” and stood ready to assist the administration’s efforts to root out terrorism.

These immediate reactions in and around the US capital reflect the fears and trepidations of the Pakistani and Muslim communities in North America as they brace themselves for possible repercussions of the involvement of yet another Pakistani in an alleged terror plot.

Raza Jafri recalled walking near the White House a day after 9/11 when two men stopped him and his wife and shouted: “Terrorists, terrorists. Arrest them.”

The first thing he did was to ask his wife not to wear Pakistani dress in public until it was safe to do so. “It can get worse now,” he said.

Muhammad Younas Ansari of Lahore asked his Pakistani-American friends, “why are you so unhappy here? I have never heard of Indian or Bangladeshi Muslims being involved in such activities, why?”

One of his friends thought that some Pakistanis living in America suffered from a major cultural shock. “No matter how unhappy a Pakistani says he is in America, he does not want to go back,” said the friend.

“The Pakistanis enjoy the benefits of living in America. Love earning dollars. Love the prosperity that the dollar brings. They love showing off their dollars when they go to Pakistan. Yet, they never tire of criticising America. They think Pakistan is a paradise but all are afraid of returning home.”

Hamza Muhammad of Falls Church, Virginia, noted that the entire Pakistani society shared the blame for allowing religious extremists and fanatics to function. “They never tire of condemning the extremists but also never take any practical step to purge them,” he observed.

Mr Siddiqui, another Pakistani-American who only gave his last name, said that Pakistan needed to “deal with the root cause” of terrorism.

He suggested massive reform of the education system, which should include “revision of textbooks that preach hate against other religions, closure of all those madressahs that indulge in hate-mongering and more money for the right type of education”.

DAWN.COM | International | Fear grips Pakistani-Americans

There seems to be a huge disconnect between the thinking of the expat Pakistanis versus the local ones. It is the local ones that contribute funds to the Jehadi organizations to keep the machinery running.

Maliha Lodhi who is now "sad" was actually a stuanch advocate of the "terror as a part of foreign policy" against India. So that is a surprise, or may be it is because that it is now a book launch and hence the impact is personal.

Evidently there is a reference to the ovehaul of the education system to undo the vices of earlier education to Children. This is exactly what is mentioned in the original WSJ article but then our friends on the forum want to dismiss that as "Indian drivel".

Clearly a huge disconnect.

I agree with you on the core of the argument that we have to look at the main issue and tackle it, but one still cant negate the fact that the article the Agno was referring to is more fictional then facts. And it is more of an attention seeker by giving unwarranted publicity to certain fabricated facts by ignoring the ground realities. Also I completely didnt understand the fact that why did he have to bring in the mention of Mr. Asad who was the first representative of Pakistan to US and was a convert to Islam. What does that have to do with the issues of today. :pakistan:

Probably that is to highlight that the genesis of a state based on a theology is unwarranted and dangerous. It is probably something that can throw light on how to correct the same by making Pakistan a more pluralistic society that harbours good for all?

Back
Top Bottom