What's new

Why neighbours dislike or suspect India

Why neighbours dislike or suspect India
Aakar Patel, May 31, 2017
A little under 30 years ago, after Vishwanath Pratap Singh became prime minister, he met with Sri Lanka’s president Ranasinghe Premadasa. Singh, a polite man, says he was surprised when the first thing Premadasa said to him was: “When are you taking your army back?”

The reference was to the Indian Peace Keeping Force, a group of soldiers from the Indian Army sent to Lanka to fight the Tamil Tigers. India had deployed tens of thousands of its jawans (over 1,000 of whom would die fighting the Tamilians) and we had thought of it as a sacrifice for the Lankans. However, the Lankans, according to Singh, saw it as interference after a point and wanted the Indians out of their country.

The civil war in Lanka ended with a victory of the Sinhalese nationalists, and today Lanka is no longer under the influence of India as it was 30 years ago. If there is a nation that many Lankans see as interfering, it is China. The giant ports developed by the Chinese in Colombo and Hambanthota are projects of a scale India cannot compete with.

The Chinese are executing today the most important and largest infrastructure project of the world. It is called One Belt One Road. The belt is a series of highways and the ‘road’ is a network of ports and sea routes. It held a meeting in May to show its vision and India boycotted it.

However, all of India’s neighbours attended, except for one, Bhutan. Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Bangladesh, the Maldives and Nepal all attended, leading to fears of encirclement in the community that thinks about strategic affairs in India.

India warned those attending that the partnership with the Chinese would come at a heavy price, but almost nobody heard us. The question is: why not? The answer, to return to the original point of this article, is that almost all of India’s neighbours either dislike or suspect us. Even in Hindu Nepal, Indians are not particularly popular. We have no neighbour with whom we have a relationship like the United States has with Canada. All our borders seem to be like the US and Mexico’s, or worse.

Perhaps the fault is entirely that of our neighbours’. Certainly the average Indian holds the impression that we are victims of other nations’ mischief. This is coupled with the prejudiced view many of us have of our neighbours. We believe Bangladeshis are illegal immigrants, Nepalis are watchmen and Pakistanis are terrorists.

Today Nepalis in the northern part of the country think India is playing games by dividing their country into hill-people and plains-people and instigating a long and painful blockade against the former (who are the elite). They also think India is interfering with their constitutional processes.

It is possible that India has legitimate concerns and interests in Nepal. However, we must ask ourselves why our relations with a Hindu country are in such tatters that we could not get them to side with us against the Chinese.

Even with Bhutan, our only ‘friend’ against the Chinese, our relationship is not one of equals. Under Nehru, India imposed on Bhutan something called a Friendship Treaty, which actually was nothing of the sort. The treaty gave India a veto on Bhutan’s foreign policy.

Nehru inherited an aggressively expansionist imperial state which had tentative borders. Neighbouring states feared the India of the British Raj, and legitimately. Our failure has been that we have not been able to overcome that fear and distrust and build relationships that are meaningful and based on respect and mutual interest. That failure showed in our isolation at the belt and road summit.

[The writer is executive director of Amnesty International India]

http://southasianmonitor.com/2017/05/31/neighbours-dislike-suspect-india/
Author simply blind to the shenanigans that neighbours indulge in.
BD is den of islamic militants and hosting anti-India terrorists.
lanka supported pakistan and now supports china.
Nepal tried to play India against china.

If you analyze the countries there is one glaring fact visible they are internally weak and squabble a lot. They need some thing to divert their attention from domestic issues and put their blame on.
We never had any major issue with Myanmar but only with petty arrogant minions who think they can poke India and get away with it.

I hate bharatis bcoz they are invading our social media like low life pests.. i cannot surf internet for few minutes without noticing ugly scums barking at my country and people, basically my reason of hate is, i dont want obsessed filth around me. if Modi control those filthy pests, i will be his first bhakt in Pakistan :enjoy:

OP:

It's a very generic statement. There are many people among our neighbors who love India. In fact, some even join Indian Army and fight, die, and kill for India - for e.g. Nepalese.

Afghans' love for India is no secret.

Many Sri Lankans admire India, many may not.

Point is, which country in the world is loved by 100% of its neighbors and each and every single resident of their neighboring countries?

I also know of Indians who abuse India day and night and I also know of Pakistanis who abuse Pakistan day and night.

What exactly are you trying to imply?

OP:

It's a very generic statement. There are many people among our neighbors who love India. In fact, some even join Indian Army and fight, die, and kill for India - for e.g. Nepalese.

Afghans' love for India is no secret.

Many Sri Lankans admire India, many may not.

You mean to say few subservient class "love" india whom india created in each of these countries to toe indian line. Well that are the case for awami league in Bangladesh, Nepali congress and Afghan stooges in Kabul. But most and majority population hates india; its terror, hegemonic interference and bullying.

You mean to say few subservient class "love" india whom india created in each of these countries to toe indian line. Well that are the case for awami league in Bangladesh, Nepali congress and Afghan stooges in Kabul. But most and majority population hates india; its terror, hegemonic interference and bullying.

Opinion. Opinion. More opinion.

Read my signature champ.

It's so interesting, while Pakistani members like to use the age old rhetoric words like hegemony, interfering, hated by neighbors etc., against India, one Indian member accepted yes we are proud. Immediately, one BD member and one SL member countered and said India didn't have any influence in the recent elections in their countries.
Reality check for some.

Why are you bragging? Thats not arrogance, its ignorance combined with poor education.

Actually, it completely makes sense why you people have such a retarded obsession over Pakistan now.

Pakistani obsession Is BIMARU thing.

People who border pakistan and have cultural similarly with your people such as Dogras, Punjabis-haryanvis, Rajasthanis and Gujaratis don't like to associate with pakistani people while those who live 1000s km away from our border band backwards to you and say things like 'we are one', 'we are one country' etc etc.

Retarded? Your country lives and breaths India. Your newspapers are filled with Indian news, your people give millions of rupees to watch our movies, our songs are popular in your country since 1920s, gazwa e hind, running to bollywood for some change etc etc.

This is called Retarded obsession that your people have for my country.

It doesn't matter much whether India's neighbors like it or not. What matters is does India's neighbors know how to deal with India.

Yep, build nukes and shoot at them without fear of wars being started.

We don't care if our neighbors like us or hate us.

why ?

Because India is 7th largest country with 4th largest military and 6th largest GDP and growing.

And we are 2nd largest population,we have our own media, our own religion, our own culture and our own language family.

We are living in a bubble, India is our land our continent and our Earth.

Why do you think that we give shit about others ?

So much for being pluralistic and secular, as many on here will boast.

It's so interesting, while Pakistani members like to use the age old rhetoric words like hegemony, interfering, hated by neighbors etc., against India, one Indian member accepted yes we are proud. Immediately, one BD member and one SL member countered and said India didn't have any influence in the recent elections in their countries.
Reality check for some.

Who cares what our tiny tiny colonies think ? They will always be our slaves

And yes we are extremely proud of our Heritage and Nationality.we always were,but only able to express this after 2014.

Not Muslims actually. The ideology. People are just ... people. :tup:

It's okay, we also hate the ideology of Hinduism. It's backwards like all other polytheistic faiths, and those who genuinely believe in them.

Meh anything else?

You'll see :)

Yep, funding funding freedom fighters in India and sending as many militants as possible across the border is also an excellent strategy.

No, I won't see it. Neither will you. Muslims will not collectively defend polytheists and their values.

Back
Top Bottom