What's new

Why Malaysia is riskier than India, Indonesia

@Indos , @madokafc ,

May I ask if there is a system similar to Bumiputera in the Republic of Indonesia? Thank You Sir and Ma'am. :)

Nope, we don't have such a lowly system in our society. Every man is made equal by god, only his efforts and luck made him/her different between each other. My, my grandpa is a Nihonjin, ex IJA for worst but he is never be treated by such discrimination and he is doing well for his family.

Well in the past Indonesia was set a rule against Chinese ethnic in Indonesia, we barred them from politics and we set their people to follow Indonesia way including using Indonesian name instead their Chinese family surname, we prohibit them to using Cantonese, Hakka, or Mandarin in offices or public forum. Our government too made sure they must apply several documents in which another ethnics doesn't have to made sure their loyalties to our Republic. That's because Indonesia government has accused them as un-Nationalist and have links to the most dreaded Indonesian Communist Party. But after all, this is about politics not an entirely racial driven policy especially economics. But hell, Soeharto regime in the past too has set a rule against Islam elements in Indonesia too, some Mosque is barred to inciting public speech against government, army intelligent sometimes abducted several clerics who broken the rules, Moslem Woman once has been banned for using Hejab (or Jilbab), and Moslem man is banned for growing long beards, Department of Religions affairs is set to monitoring the activity of Indonesian Moslem and watch their activity they must follow the rule of government at the time.

But after 1998-99 our government has abandon such policy, and every Chinese-Indonesia now living equally and can hold public offices such as Governor, Ministry, or even General of Army or Navy.

Nope, we don't have such a lowly system in our society. Every man is made equal by god, only his efforts and luck made him/her different between each other. My, my grandpa is a Nihonjin, ex IJA for worst but he is never be treated by such discrimination and he is doing well for his family.

Well in the past Indonesia was set a rule against Chinese ethnic in Indonesia, we barred them from politics and we set their people to follow Indonesia way including using Indonesian name instead their Chinese family surname, we prohibit them to using Cantonese, Hakka, or Mandarin in offices or public forum. Our government too made sure they must apply several documents in which another ethnics doesn't have to made sure their loyalties to our Republic. That's because Indonesia government has accused them as un-Nationalist and have links to the most dreaded Indonesian Communist Party. But after all, this is about politics not an entirely racial driven policy especially economics. But hell, Soeharto regime in the past too has set a rule against Islam elements in Indonesia too, some Mosque is barred to inciting public speech against government, army intelligent sometimes abducted several clerics who broken the rules, Moslem Woman once has been banned for using Hejab (or Jilbab), and Moslem man is banned for growing long beards, Department of Religions affairs is set to monitoring the activity of Indonesian Moslem and watch their activity they must follow the rule of government at the time.

But after 1998-99 our government has abandon such policy, and every Chinese-Indonesia now living equally and can hold public offices such as Governor, Ministry, or even General of Army or Navy.

Thank you for your personal input @madokafc , and I'm glad to hear that Indonesia allows all segments of their society, to be able to acquire ranks in government and military without holding any preferential bias based on their ethnic or racial background. I truly admire the Indonesian government for their new policies, considering there is so much diversity in Indonesia's population.

I did not know that your grand father was part of the IJA, well i'm sure he had love for Indonesia considering he did stay in the country even after the war. From my readings, i know that the majority of Indonesians have positive feelings of Japan during the Pacific War , namely for our campaigns against the Dutch and supporting Indonesian nationalism. My grandfather was also a war veteran, in the IJN. :)

Please be serious here.

Malaysia in GDP/ppp is 3.5 times more than Indonesia. IMF predicts that Indonesia will grow by 6 % a year over the next 5 years and Malaysia will be 5 %.

At the expected rate of growth, Malaysia will be a developed country by 2025 and Indonesia will still not quite have reached middle income levels by then.

Don't get me wrong as Indonesia is doing well and has a bright future, but it is silly to think you can catch Malaysia anytime soon.

Helloooo, a Bangladeshi talk here

What do you know about Indonesia or Malaysia? i must be sure you know nothing about Indonesia

@Indos @nufix @jakartans

Thank you for your personal input @madokafc , and I'm glad to hear that Indonesia allows all segments of their society, to be able to acquire ranks in government and military without holding any preferential bias based on their ethnic or racial background. I truly admire the Indonesian government for their new policies, considering there is so much diversity in Indonesia's population.

I did not know that your grand father was part of the IJA, well i'm sure he had love for Indonesia considering he did stay in the country even after the war. From my readings, i know that the majority of Indonesians have positive feelings of Japan during the Pacific War , namely for our campaigns against the Dutch and supporting Indonesian nationalism. My grandfather was also a war veteran, in the IJN. :)

not positive at all, after all my Grandpa has told my father, that he and his friend decision to stay in Indonesia is to redeem what they thought as collective sins of his people and friends throughout the Campaign. Lot of Indonesian hold a grudge for Japanese during the war and subsequent episode following it. After all, millions of Indonesian people died while under Japanese occupation and that's parts of Japan as a nation sin which cannot be forgiven easily. During 1970's, there was a big riot in Jakarta for against Japanese investment in Indonesia, the rioters raising banner and slogan, asking the Japanese to repent and acknowledge their sin during the war.

But my Grandpa doing his best during the Independence War, believing what is best for himself and people around him and losing almost all of his comrade in process and his hearing capability too. But after all, he is able to gain the trust from local people, from army, and all of it is based from his merit and bravery during the war. And after the war of independence is over, he chose to quit from armed forces and living peacefully for the rest of his life.

We are free now, no discrimination
@Indos , @madokafc ,

May I ask if there is a system similar to Bumiputera in the Republic of Indonesia? Thank You Sir and Ma'am. :)

Nope.

@madokafc has explained quite good in previous post. Malaysia Malay ethnic is only 60 % so it is understandable that they want to protect Malay people, dont forget by doing this policy, UMNO (Malay majority party) always win in every election.

And talking about industry, this is the data. Philippine is not too far from Malaysia industry out put.

@UKBengali

Word Bank Data

Manufacturing, value added (current US$) | Data | Table

Manufacturing, value added (current US$)
Manufacturing refers to industries belonging to ISIC divisions 15-37. Value added is the net output of a sector after adding up all outputs and subtracting intermediate inputs. It is calculated without making deductions for depreciation of fabricated assets or depletion and degradation of natural resources. The origin of value added is determined by the International Standard Industrial Classification (ISIC), revision 3. Data are in current U.S. dollars.

Country name

China 1,924,960,540,229 (2010)
United States 1,800,500,000,000 (2011)
Japan 1,091,175,291,317 (2011)
Germany 686,573,300,784
Korea, Rep. 315,885,233,587
Italy 281,895,273,054
Russian Federation 260,435,258,457
Brazil 253,642,475,685
India 242,772,134,683
France 233,106,552,743
United Kingdom 220,349,131,122
Indonesia 210,176,258,694
Mexico 198,199,053,285
Spain 161,778,234,614
Turkey 122,742,751,331

Thailand 124,345,191,960
Switzerland 113,479,788,123
Australia 108,162,616,636
Netherlands 87,328,793,524
Poland 76,421,063,103
Argentina 84,360,148,408
Sweden 72,057,269,373
Austria 64,885,316,716
Malaysia 73,935,125,296
Saudi Arabia 71,592,000,000
Belgium 55,035,333,419
Venezuela, RB 50,892,160,462
Singapore 53,765,687,304
South Africa 42,763,500,808
Puerto Rico
Philippines 51,408,479,024

World Bank GDP (PPP) Calculation

GDP, PPP (current international $) | Data | Table

Country name 2012

United States 16,244,600,000,000
China 14,802,942,330,788
India 6,354,588,303,400
Japan 4,543,514,568,223
Germany 3,434,191,301,366
Russian Federation 3,385,844,351,229
Brazil 2,890,563,492,052
France 2,416,638,856,588
United Kingdom 2,272,393,687,458
Indonesia 2,224,501,347,429

Italy 2,079,485,189,404
Mexico 1,985,044,090,207
Spain 1,502,642,914,484
Korea, Rep. 1,500,661,545,036
Saudi Arabia 1,461,878,111,889
Canada 1,435,271,055,626
Turkey 1,372,743,759,802
Iran, Islamic Rep. 1,202,275,837,053
Australia 995,639,439,304
Nigeria 934,447,789,675

Thailand 923,209,601,442
Poland 877,946,822,991
Egypt, Arab Rep. 877,596,193,823
Pakistan 794,857,892,071
Netherlands 726,142,544,290
Malaysia 651,469,913,665
South Africa 637,670,216,678
Philippines 590,855,053,556

PS: I am not really that old, no need to call me sir ....... :p:

Last edited:
The title is just misleading. I will consider Malasia, India and Indonesia are all risky when I see the title. That’s what the news agency do for the eyeball economy.

@Indos

We are talking about living standards than total wealth. Of course Indonesia
has an advantage in overall GDP as is has much larger population than Malaysia.

It is funny to try to say that Indonesia, GDP at PPP is 5,500 US dollars, has any chance to
soon surpass Malaysia that has GDP/PPP of 18,500 US dollars.

It is ridiculous to see people putting down Malaysia that at current rate is only a mere decade
away from being a developed country.

@Indos

We are talking about living standards than total wealth. Of course Indonesia
has an advantage in overall GDP as is has much larger population than Malaysia.

It is funny to try to say that Indonesia, GDP at PPP is 5,500 US dollars, has any chance to
soon surpass Malaysia that has GDP/PPP of 18,500 US dollars.

It is ridiculous to see people putting down Malaysia that at current rate is only a mere decade
away from being a developed country.

Sure friend, but Indonesian never see themselves below Malaysian :D

It is similar like comparing USA with Australia when USA in GDP per capita is less than Australia, or between Saudi and UAE comparison. Our middle class population has more size than entire Malaysia population.

In term of democracy and technology we also can't be matched in SEA region, our democracy even is praised by Anwar Ibrahim (Malaysia opposition leader). We are producing high tech product like airplane (joint design and production with Spain/ now Airbus) that even USA military and coast guard bough it. Able to make its own satellite and according to the plan will put our own satellite into orbit in 2017 by our own rocket inshaALLAH. Even we are developing stealth fighter with SK now.

Last edited:
Important point to note: They were Sanskrit in culture, not were not rules by Indians. It was the indigenous population adopting a foreign culture, and not a foreign conqueror imposing that culture.
Yes they adopted the culture as it was amicable to them, we didn't go and impose it on them by sword.Mostly it was the chola empire which traded with these nations and the credit goes to them for exporting hindu religion and culture through peaceful means just like how buddhism was spread all over Asia.

Sure friend, but Indonesian never see themselves below Malaysian :D

It is similar like comparing USA with Australia when USA in GDP per capita is less than Australia, or between Saudi and UAE comparison. Our middle class population has more size than entire Malaysia population.

In term of democracy and technology we also can't be matched in SEA region, our democracy even is praised by Anwar Ibrahim (Malaysia opposition leader). We are producing high tech product like airplane (joint design and production with Spain/ now Airbus) that even USA military and coast guard bough it. Able to make its own satellite and according to the plan will put our own satellite into orbit in 2017 by our own rocket inshaALLAH. Even we are developing stealth fighter with SK now.

I am not saying that Indonesia does not have a bright future, but it is a poor country currently. By 2030, if all goes well it should become middle-income.

With population nearing 300 million by 2050, Indonesia has the potential to become one of the 5 top powers in the world. But that is a long, long way away.

I am not saying that Indonesia does not have a bright future, but it is a poor country currently. By 2030, if all goes well it should become middle-income.

With population nearing 300 million by 2050, Indonesia has the potential to become one of the 5 top powers in the world. But that is a long, long way away.

1. We have already become middle income country and major regional power:

We have already become middle income country since 1990's....I think you dont know the parameter yet. Beside that, we also have already become 10 biggest economy in the world (PPP). We cannot be compared with Malaysia. I don't know why you are so obsessed with GDP per capita. The power and influence of a country is not related only on GDP per capita, if so Singapore and Brunei should be put in more weight in geopolitics. The truth is Indonesia has already become major regional power and our competitor is not Malaysia, but Australia. Every body who knows geopolitics understand that.

400px-Regional_powers_2012_updated3.png

(Major regional powers in teal, and minor regional powers in light teal)

Regional power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. Another data from me:

We even helped IMF with our money......Poor country...? :P

Indonesia's Pledge of $1 Billion to IMF Marks an Era Of Financial Independence: SBY | The Jakarta Globe

Furthermore, how come former Indonesian finance minister become managing director of World Bank if we don't have such weight?

WORLD BANK

President Jim Yong Kim
Managing Director and Chief Operating Officer Sri Mulyani Indrawati
Managing Director and World Bank Group Chief Financial Officer Bertrand Badré

http://www.worldbank.org/en/about/people/sri-mulyani-indrawati

3. Finally, In term of future nominal GDP this is the projection:

Indonesia could be 7th biggest economy by 2030: McKinsey
(2012)

JAKARTA (REUTERS) - Indonesia could overtake Britain to become the world's 7th largest economy by 2030 - if it raises its growth rate to take advantage of a rapidly expanding consumer class, the McKinsey Global Institute said on Tuesday.

The Institute, linked to management consultant McKinsey & Co, said Indonesia's young population, ongoing urbanisation and growing middle class incomes favoured its growth prospects.

By 2030, Indonesia will add 90 million new consumers, with a services sector worth US$1.1 trillion (S$1.22 trillion).

But to meet its economic potential, Indonesia would have to overcome the chronic protectionism, over-regulation and poor transport infrastructure that hold back economic growth, it said. Critics cite corruption as another major impediment to growth.

Indonesia could be 7th biggest economy by 2030: McKinsey

Last edited:

To give more example that power is not the same with GDP per capita. India vs Srilanka, it's clear which one is the power house in South Asia region. In other region for example:
1. Russia vs the rest of East Europe/Baltic country
2. China vs South Korea/Japan
3. Brazil vs Chile/Trinidad Tobago/Antigua Barbado
4. Iran/Saudi Arabia vs Qatar
5. South Africa vs Seychelles/Equatorial Guinea
6. Canada also have slightly higher GDP per capita than USA.

It's clear that country with the highest GDP per capita in the region is not automatically the regional power. Total GDP + population does count.

It has nothing to do with religion actually...the system is totally based on bumiputera ....meaning child of the soil which is the Malay constitutes of 7 tribes if you wish...

Bumiputera or Bumiputra (Jawi: بوميڤوترا) is a Malaysian term to describe the Malay race and other indigenous peoples of Southeast Asia, and used particularly in Malaysia.

The term finds its origin in Sanskrit term "Bhoomiputra" which means 'son of soil'. Technically this is a reference to those born on Malay soil which should include Chinese and Indian origin people who were in Malaysia for centuries.

Actually it has to do with religion.

Malaysians who are Muslim and are of Malay ethnicity are given preference compared to even Indian or Chinese origin Muslims who are citizens in Malaysia from centuries. Forget about the Chinese origin Buddhists or Indian origin Hindu citizens of Malaysia who are given ridiculous second class citizen status.

You seem to be forgetting how Indian and Chinese origin non-muslim school kids were asked to have lunch in the school toilets during ramzan in Malaysia.

Google it.

Back
Top Bottom