What's new

Why Israel embassy website is Urdu

May be they want Pakistan to know the Indian Israel relationship

Well we know about that relationship anyway, and its hardly a top secret so why would pakistan be interested in knowing what israel has to say?

Your arguments and comments are as much useful as an ashtray on a motor cycle.

With due respect Blackhood, I think you missed the title of the thread.

Its only about why would the Israeli embassy in India host a website in Urdu along with English and Hindi

With due respect sir i have'nt missed the Title , People are talking about the Urdu , Pakistan , Israel ...

The picture i have posted has all three so how would you say it is Irrelivent ?

I simply hate Israel , and the thing is there is no meaning for just a language option on an Zaionist website , and it does'nt make it important , Urdu is Our offical language and used in India by Millions.

i have just answerd those who claim of any grandness of this event , there is'nt any .
Regards:

You should hate the wrong actions or policies of the person or the country. There are many Israelis who themselves condemn the atrocities being committed by the govt.

Public Relations.

Israel wants to steal the hearts and minds of Pakistanis.

So they communicate with them in a language that they love and understand.

With Zidari and his ilk in power its only a matter of time before Pakistan and Israel normalise relationships.

Urdu is one of the languages recognized by the Constitution of India. It is a state official language for five Indian states. India is the home of the Urdu language and is part of its indigenous culture. It was developed by mixing of cultures in areas such as Delhi, Lucknow in UP and Hyderabad and Urdu literature has also been enriched by hindus and sikhs. Moreover, out of the approximately 60+ million Urdu speakers in the world, 50+million are in India.

So its quite natural to have Urdu after Hindi as a language being used by Israeli embassy to reach out to all Indians. Maybe in the future we might see other languages as well.

Dear member I will request you to please check your source of statistics regard:pakistaning "60+ million Urdu speakers in the world, 50+million are in India" I will be very happy to know the source of this information because i totally disagree with this "statistics":pakistan:

Dear member I will request you to please check your source of statistics regard:pakistaning "60+ million Urdu speakers in the world, 50+million are in India" I will be very happy to know the source of this information because i totally disagree with this "statistics":pakistan:

I have already given sources in my previous post here. I have based the total numbers of the fact that it is mainly spoken in the sub-continent and no where else.
http://www.defence.pk/forums/members-club/37349-why-israel-embassy-website-urdu.html#post527211

And I don't see why its surprising considering that this is part of the syncretic culture that developed over hundreds of years in what is now India.

You should hate the wrong actions or policies of the person or the country. There are many Israelis who themselves condemn the atrocities being committed by the govt.

i cant agree sir , you have no idea about what we feel about Israel.

Someone who has done following things to us.

Captured our land
Captured our holiest places
Massacred Thousands of our Brothers & sisters
Demolished schools
Captured and enslaved a whole nation ( same does India)
Tried to Attack Pakistan's Nuke sites
Considers us the Top enemy ( so do we)
Supporting the TTP
Supporting the Qadiyani kafirs agains the State of Paksitan

what options on table we have left with?

Pardon my ignorance, which other Indian states have given Urdu official status? I was aware that Urdu as written in the Urdu script is official language of Kashmir only but of none other.

Besides, I have across Urdu books written in India in Devanagri script. I call this ‘Hindiization’ of Urdu since some of the common Urdu alphabets such as ‘P’ are pronounced as ‘f’ thus ‘phool’ is pronounced as ‘fool’ and ‘Z’ sounds like ’J’; I had to correct my guide for Taj Mahal many times who insisted on pronouncing Mumtaz Mahal as Mumtaj Mahal.

Despite that above, as an Urdu lover I am really pleased about the use of proper Urdu script in the Israel Embassy website. It reminds me of the poet Daagh Dehlavi who said:

‘Urdu hai jis ka naam, subhee jaantey hain Daagh.
Saarey jehan mein dhhoom hamaari zubaan ki hai.

Pray tell me, how can you claim that out of the 60+ million Urdu speakers, 50+ live in India. Urdu is the national language of Pakistan, nearly all speak and understand Urdu. A lot of Karachiites, Hyderabadis and Lahoris speak Urdu at home. I would say that there are as many Urdu speakers in Pakistan as are in India. As far as the accent and pronunciation is concerned, I have visited Delhi, Agraa and Bombay, I found that most Pakistanis speak clearer Urdu than those from India. I have also came across people from Lukhnow, quite a few of them spoke Urdu with a 'Poorbi' accent. However, it gives me great joy that Urdu is still alive and kicking in India.
You are wrong. There are urdu news papers (news papers in urdu script. i.e. right to left) published in hyderabad. many shops owned by muslims have their names written in urdu. There are urdu tv channels.

for example:
ETV Urdu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Siasat Daily: Urdu & English Latest News, Videos, Photos, discussions, Muslim Community
some of the destinations on city buses are written in urdu apart from telugu and english.
many urdu books are available in book shops and streets.

but no one in hyderabad speaks urdu. because every hyderabadi speaks hyderabadi :mps:

@Blackhood,

There are definitely many wrongs done by the Israeli govt. and many atrocities in recent times. But that doesn't mean that we should act the same. Two wrongs don't make it right. I completely empathise with the Palestinians and my heart goes out to the poor people who have to struggle there.

But at the same time, the pre-67 Israel was carved out of Jewish majority provinces that consisted of indigeneous jews living there. SO they have every right to have a claim to a state of Israel there.

Ofcourse it was unfortunate that fanatic jewish / zionists elements first launched an ethnic cleansing program in the 50s and 60s to drive out Arab minorities out of the fledgling Israeli state. At the same time, the neighboring Arab states didn't want peace and they are partly responsible as well. They should have agreed to formation of Jewish majority provinces of Palestine into Israel or atleast offered a suitable counter proposal.

Ofcourse now the situation with the extremely violent and right wing elements in power makes the job for peace even worse, their actions should be condemned. Infact, the recent Goldstone report on Gaza human rights violations was written by a South African Jew. So lets understand the differences between Israeli people, just as we want non-muslims to understand the differences between extremists and regular muslims

Exactly same we feel abt Pakistani Punjabi accent, URs is mixture of hindi, punjabi, urdu, Theth Punjabi is differant.

Pardon my ignorance, which other Indian states have given Urdu official status? I was aware that Urdu as written in the Urdu script is official language of Kashmir only but of none other.

Besides, I have across Urdu books written in India in Devanagri script. I call this ‘Hindiization’ of Urdu since some of the common Urdu alphabets such as ‘P’ are pronounced as ‘f’ thus ‘phool’ is pronounced as ‘fool’ and ‘Z’ sounds like ’J’; I had to correct my guide for Taj Mahal many times who insisted on pronouncing Mumtaz Mahal as Mumtaj Mahal.

Despite that above, as an Urdu lover I am really pleased about the use of proper Urdu script in the Israel Embassy website. It reminds me of the poet Daagh Dehlavi who said:

‘Urdu hai jis ka naam, subhee jaantey hain Daagh.
Saarey jehan mein dhhoom hamaari zubaan ki hai.

Pray tell me, how can you claim that out of the 60+ million Urdu speakers, 50+ live in India. Urdu is the national language of Pakistan, nearly all speak and understand Urdu. A lot of Karachiites, Hyderabadis and Lahoris speak Urdu at home. I would say that there are as many Urdu speakers in Pakistan as are in India. As far as the accent and pronunciation is concerned, I have visited Delhi, Agraa and Bombay, I found that most Pakistanis speak clearer Urdu than those from India. I have also came across people from Lukhnow, quite a few of them spoke Urdu with a 'Poorbi' accent. However, it gives me great joy that Urdu is still alive and kicking in India.

Exactly same we feel abt Pakistani Punjabi accent, URs is mixture of hindi, punjabi, urdu, Theth Punjabi is differant.
No Pakistani punjabi does'nt drives anything from Hindi or in otherwords its not sansikrat type.Pakistani punjabi derives words from English,Farsi,Urdu etc the Punjabis living in Sindh use Sindhi words aswell while speaking,dont know much about those living in NWFP and Balochistan.
BTW what do you mean by "Theth"?

Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Punjab and the fifth is J&K as you mentioned.

In India people hardly write Urdu then what is the purpose of having the same in urdu.

Here are the links for the both versions.

Despite that above, as an Urdu lover I am really pleased about the use of proper Urdu script in the Israel Embassy website.

Urdu is one of the official language in Delhi and hence the website is also available in Urdu apart from the National Language Hindi.

If you visit Israeli Consulate, Mumbai website its only in English

The Israeli Government's Official Website, by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

50+million are in India" I will be very happy to know the source of this information because i totally disagree with this "statistics

Census of India - Statement 1

This is a 2001 Census data.

GB

P.S: - Manmohan Singh's 15th August 2009 speech was written in Urdu.

Regarding numbers, I admit I may be a bit out of date but these are native speakers only.

Sources are here:
Ethnologue report for Pakistan (93 census)
Census of India - Statement 1 (2001 census)
Mr Ejaz your figures about Pakistan are inaccurate the sources you quoted show Pakistani numbers 8 years older that Indian ones, try copararing figures of same year IF you have them,the last census in Pakistan was in 1998 so there are no exact figures of Urdu speakers in Pakistan now since census has been postponed however estimates can be made but should'nt be of 1993 rather it should be of 2009.Its not bit out of date its too much old.

However the if we leave mother tounge condition aside there were almost 104 million Urdu speakers in Pakistan in 1998(as per the link you gave,
Ethnologue report for language code: urd when the total population was 130 million.

And now when our population is almost 180 million the number of Urdu speakers will way more than that.(my Est: 175 million because of robust growth of Urdu media(tv channels,Radio channels,Internet Etc) in post 1998 Era.So more and more people here can speak,read and write Urdu.

Simillarly if we leave mother tounge condition aside in context of India there would be hardly 70 to 80 million(my estimate) people who can speak and understand Urdu since most of work is beenig done in Hindi and moreover the people who speak Urdu mix a lot of words of Hindi and thier pronounciation too is different of certain words like Niaz pointed out.

So overall there are more people in Pakistan who can speak,read and write urdu than India.:coffee:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom