What's new

Why is there cultural partition between West Bengal and East Bengal (Bangladesh) since forever?

I can not speak for West Bengal Bengalis. There may have their faults to give such impression in rest of India.

But Bangladesh? Can you say Bangladeshi people are lazy? In which way?

Our 50% people are farmers, made Bangladesh of the the biggest producers of Agri products in the world engaging in non-mechanized farming. Are they lazy?

Our 4 million Garments workers toiling day and night in difficult working condition in garments factories. Are they lazy?

Our 10 million overseas workers spread to the end of the world doing all kind of hard works and sending 8th largest remittance in the world to Bangladesh. Are they lazy?

Our at least 4-5 million non motorized transport workers(Rickshaw, Cycle Van) engaged in most physically demanding job in the world. Are they lazy?

Our 38 percent women engaged in some form of earning jobs managing their household chores. Are they lazy?

Our Industrial workers, intrepreuners, small business men are behind the rapid Industrial and service GDP growth in Bangladesh now enjoying. Aren't they intelligent and industrious ?

All the hard working jobs in Bangladesh are done by Bangladesh people. Such as constructions. We do not import foreign labor to do our physically demanding jobs. Is this the culture of laziness?

So tell me how Bangladeshi Bengalis are lazy and engaged in mindless intellectualism?

This is exactly what I was thinking. The Bangladeshi communities overseas are known for being a hardworking community. I come from a family that have a long line of grafters and 99% of the fathers and uncles I know of others too.

A large number of Hindu reformers and philosophers are also Bengali like Sri Aurobindo and Rabindranath Tagore.
The point is that Bengalis are considered lazy who indulge in mindless intellectualism. At least this is the perception of people outside Bengal for the Bengalis.
For ex: Bengal has one of the poorest infrastructure in India and its labourers are considered lazy in the rest of India. Nobody wants to hire them. It also has a low GDP. Bengal also lacks any large scale private industry because of Marxism(an intellectual's wet dream).

Given the current state of affairs there(at least in WB), denying any value in this perception seems ludicrous.
Without a hardcore revival of the Hindutva movement in West Bengal, there is little chance of it coming out of this puddle. That time is coming soon.

Well I think Indian government should invest more in West Bengal. BD is not known as lazy, why should west Bengal be?

Intellectualism is a bad thing? I don't think so.

West Bengals per capita GDP is lower than Bānglādesh and entire economy is just Kolkata centric. Why should anyone will choose West Bengal for economic reason. How much a fruit seller make extra in West Bengal that he needs to leave his family and friends to go to India? An illegal migrant will tell voluntarily he is illegal from Bangladesh? Stop making up stories!!
Indian economy is bigger than Switzerland, but given chance most people will try to work there, just saying.
I have no idea why people leave shining Bangladesh and coming to backward West Bengal for economic reasons. But its true, a small market in my neighboring area has three fruit sellers and all of them are Bangladeshis.
Yes they proudly tell, its not a crime in West Bengal if they jump over the border. Even police give a shit about it. It was done for vote bank, CPM started and current govt continued it.
I believe you people come to Kolkata often, next time when you come give me a shout. I will show you for sure.

Well I think Indian government should invest more in West Bengal. BD is not known as lazy, why should west Bengal be?

Problem is we are are different, from 70's we have chosen power in Bengal who is not in center. Naturally the infrastructure was neglected by the central govt.
But above all its the shortsightedness of lefts which left the state in mess and continued by current govt.

Indian economy is bigger than Switzerland, but given chance most people will try to work there, just saying.
I have no idea why people leave shining Bangladesh and coming to backward West Bengal for economic reasons. But its true, a small market in my neighboring area has three fruit sellers and all of them are Bangladeshis.
Yes they proudly tell, its not a crime in West Bengal if they jump over the border. Even police give a shit about it. It was done for vote bank, CPM started and current govt continued it.
I believe you people come to Kolkata often, next time when you come give me a shout. I will show you for sure.

If they are Hindu they go for religious reason or for family reunification. Economic reason was in 1970s and 1980s. Since 1990s even Hindus reduces migrating to West Bengal for economic reason. Now even reverse migration started by Hindus to Bangladesh. There is recent spike in number of Hindus in Bangladesh in last few years.

I am North American. I can purchase things from wherever I want. I don’t need to go to India for that. I don’t know beyond shopping is there anything to do in Kolkata. I would rather go to Nepal and Bhutan or Thailand instead of going to Kolkata.

Problem is we are are different, from 70's we have chosen power in Bengal who is not in center. Naturally the infrastructure was neglected by the central govt.
But above all its the shortsightedness of lefts which left the state in mess and continued by current govt.

Mate I was in Kolkata last year for about 3 months. The state did not look at all like in a mess. I loved Kolkata. So called hard work can be achieved, intellectualism of the degree of Bengalis is not easy to achieve. Be proud of it and whoever in India thinks you are mindless intellectuals just have pity on them, those are the crude variety, not on your level.

For ex: Bengal has one of the poorest infrastructure in India and its labourers are considered lazy in the rest of
haha, I beg to differ. In my state (Kerala) they make up the majority of workers and are okayish.

But they are not as hardworking as the Tamils who used to be the workers in here but now after the freebies they get, they went back to TN (who's vacuum was filled by Bengalis).

Hope those fence jumpers Bangladeshi
Use standard name, pole vaulters. :enjoy:

Exactly opposite happened. Most of the malaise and bad reputation relating working culture now suffering West Bengal, has their roots in Indian central govt.'s policy in 1950s, 1960s and it's self serving bhadraloke class's complicity on enacting those policies which will bite later on West Bengal. As a truncated state due to partition and waves of refugee from then East Pakistan made West Bengal an economic, political and social crisis zone. Rather than Helping West Bengal to stand it's own feet, Indian central govt. enacted a series of policies which was directly detrimental to the economy of West Bengal. Rather than promoting it's industry, central govt. did everything so that industry decline in Eastern states and flourish in western states. Then West Bengal was most industrialized state in India. But it started to erode year after year and western Indian states like Maharastra and Gujarat continue to march ahead. West Bengal's elite was at first complicit to those Central govt. policy in hope of dole money from central govt. and when they did not get anything was unable to oppose those policies.

Large number of refugee population and industrial decline made it possible for Communists to capitalize those socio-economic problems and ascend power in West Bengal. It was a vicious cycle whose lingering effect still showing in West Bengal. Read the Joya Chatterji's book 'The spoils of Partition, Bengal and India, 1947-1967' to understand how West Bengal's decline happened and how much responsible was the one sided policy of Indian central govt. and the West Bengal elite's self destructive activities.

Last edited:
All you wanted during Independence was land including Kolkata, we denied and won. We got more Muslim majority districts than you got the Hindu majority ones.
If you don't believe, read. So tell me who is more cringe?
and yet for some reason y'all want autonomy from india... now tell that you won to your north indian masters.
#cringe

@Avicenna @UKBengali @Bilal9

and yet for some reason y'all want autonomy from india... now tell that you won to your north indian masters.
#cringe

@Avicenna @UKBengali @Bilal9
Since you are an Arab you know less about this part of world.
Blunt lie, care to show when we want autonomy from India.

Mate I was in Kolkata last year for about 3 months. The state did not look at all like in a mess. I loved Kolkata. So called hard work can be achieved, intellectualism of the degree of Bengalis is not easy to achieve. Be proud of it and whoever in India thinks you are mindless intellectuals just have pity on them, those are the crude variety, not on your level.
I am proud of it. I stayed diff parts of India and proudly carried my mantle. If people can't think there is no diff with a cow.

Exactly opposite happened. Most of the malaise and bad reputation relating working culture now suffering West Bengal, has their roots in Indian central govt.'s policy in 1950s, 1960s and it's self serving bhadraloke class's complicity on enacting those policies which will bite later on West Bengal. As a truncated state due to partition and waves of refugee from then East Pakistan made West Bengal an economic, political and social crisis zone. Rather than Helping West Bengal to stand it's own feet, Indian central govt. enacted a series of policies which was directly detrimental to the economy of West Bengal. Rather than promoting it's industry, central govt. did everything so that industry decline in Eastern states and flourish in western states. Then West Bengal was most industrialized state in India. But it started to erode year after year and western Indian states like Maharastra and Gujarat continue to march ahead. West Bengal's elite was at first complicit to those Central govt. policy in hope of dole money from central govt. and when they did not get anything was unable to oppose those policies.

Large number of refugee population and industrial decline made it possible for Communists to capitalize those socio-economic problems and ascend power in West Bengal. It was a vicious cycle whose lingering effect still showing in West Bengal. Read the Joya Chatterji's book 'The spoils of Partition, Bengal and India, 1947-1967' to understand how West Bengal's decline happened and how much responsible was the one sided policy of Indian central govt. and the West Bengal elite's self destructive activities.
Well written. People forgot the wave of refugees West Bengal has taken in its grasp. We are facing now an acute shortage of lands for Industry. Had not the influx the state would have quite different.

If they are Hindu they go for religious reason or for family reunification. Economic reason was in 1970s and 1980s. Since 1990s even Hindus reduces migrating to West Bengal for economic reason. Now even reverse migration started by Hindus to Bangladesh. There is recent spike in number of Hindus in Bangladesh in last few years.

I am North American. I can purchase things from wherever I want. I don’t need to go to India for that. I don’t know beyond shopping is there anything to do in Kolkata. I would rather go to Nepal and Bhutan or Thailand instead of going to Kolkata.
No point in arguing with a North American.

Well written. People forgot the wave of refugees West Bengal has taken in its grasp. We are facing now an acute shortage of lands for Industry. Had not the influx the state would have quite different.
There were more Hindu and Sikh refugee influx in western sides of India. But Indian central govt. rapidly assimilated them into mainstream and they ceased to be refugee after a short time. But in West Bengal, Assam, many of the Bangladesh origin Hindus are still refugees. They did not get none of the assistance like the refugees in the Western sides got. It was left entirely on West Bengal state govt. to look after them. West Bengal's then chief Minister B C Roy was quite bitter about this fact and exchanged letters with Nehru on this matter. Nehru's callousness towards the Bengali refugees was exposed in those letters.

Another Bangladeshi desperately trying to forge a unique identity.
Look buddy, you have got a country and no one is interested in your swamp land. We want to do trade with you but it doesn't make strategic sense for India to annex such a small portion of land with a gigantic population.
There is no need to be so insecure.
The insecurity lies in you and your fellow Chowkidar/Bakht nutcases. You never got over 1947 and your neurosis now makes you suffer through generations. Call it a stamp of British legacy. :lol:

https://www.dw.com/en/india-toilets-countryside-defecation/av-47303674

This report is only a few months ago finds Modi government stats on toilets are lies.
I knew it! It's impossible for Gangadesh to give up its old habits of defecating in the open. :sarcastic:

Back
Top Bottom