What's new

Why is South Indian food different from North Indian food?

South India has more spices compared to North.

Some people in the North like in Rajasthan do not use garlic or Onion. Apart from the Curries and Rasams and all are of similar cooking styles.

We do not eat rasam in north :p::p::p:

and curries are different as well :chilli::chilli::chilli:

you heard wrong. Kerala is strictly non-veg especially fish and beef. without fish or redmeat it is hard to have food in Kerala. exceptions are there like Brahmins,GSB's etc. it is northern India which is particularly vegetarian IMO(exceptions are there). I can find non-veg is common in Tamil nadu, Manglore etc. Iddaly, Dosa, Sambar etc are invention of Tulu Brahmins. they are popularly known as Udupi cuisine(giyf). our food was Appam, Puttu, Tapioca, Rice and fish/beef. till this day, other state people runs vegetarian restaurants in Kerala(mostly).
Cuisine of Kerala - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And for mallu nairs like me, fish is not even vegetable. Parottayum Poricha Kozhiyum...I'm hoping some day I get to eat with nadan kallu in a local shaap.

It probably has to do something with the Islamic invasion and their dishes influencing northern culture while Mughals never managed to get a hold of south India hence preserving its culture and its food ..

BTW.nothing can beat the South Indian fish fry ...aah Yummmm ....

simple-fish-fry.jpg

Eating in a Banana leaf has many health benefits as banana leaf has stuff on its leaf which has anti cancer and other properties which i can't immediately think of ...
That Mughal invasion things is right,While most of northern Cuisine was converted from vegetarian to Non-Vegetarian after the islamic invasion.In south we felt the least effect cos you guys were covering up for us, for that Thank you as we still have ancient temples left standing,You guys bore the brunt and let hinduism live :-)

Chinese and Koreans can do that, they eat live fish as well.

Those tentacles will hold on to ones mouth when one tries to swallow.

Chinese/Koreans have their own delicacies especially southern Chinese who eat bugs and all.
yes it has got its own risk....
so they do eat the small octopus not the big one....they bundle the octopus on a chop stick and then they just sallow it rather than try to chew...
many have died eating raw octopus as its suction hold the throat and blots the wind pipe.....

Paratha is different from Parotta..though the Parotta is derived from Paratha.
Andhrites don't eat Parotta, they eat Paratha.:)

This is a Paratha:
bobbattlusweet%2Bparatha%2Bandhratelangana.jpg

No offence,,, This is the ugliest paratha I ever seen :/ Proper paratha would look like this :P

Paratha.JPG

paratha.jpg

paratha.jpg

shahi-paratha-recipe.jpg

All made in pakistan ;)

:hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:

@chak de INDIA
Did you notice Indee's hindi has improved?? Last time he used that word went rolling on the floor.:rofl:

Hain?! Kaunsa word, kaisa word?

You mean chodo in place of choro? :azn: Bear in mind that it's a shortcoming of the Roman alphabetical system, not my pronunciation or knowledge of Hindi.:D

Back
Top Bottom