What's new

Why is South Indian food different from North Indian food?

The Snow Queen

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Hello! I am from Bangladesh and in Bangladesh we eat bhaat (Rice), ruti (Roti) porotha (Paratha); Ruti, Paratha and Aloo Paratha are mainly for breakfast with vegetables or aloo bhajji (Fry) or aloo gobi or niramish. Meat and fish are extremely important part of our diet.

Rice dishes like Plain Rice (With White or Brown Rice), Palaw (Pilaf), Biryani, Khichuri (Khichdi). Fish food like Ilish (Hilsa) Mach torkari (curry) or bhajji, Rui Mach torkari or bhajji, same with Pangash mach. We also eat daal like Masoor daal and Moong daal. Panta is rice in water and we eat it during Bangla new year; many people eat it with fish (Ilish) but my family only eats it with Bhortas especially aloo bhorta (mashed potatoes). And we make and eat Achar (pickles), during the Summer!

We eat types kinds of chicken dishes like Murgi Torkari (Chicken torkari), Chicken Tandoori, Chicken Tikka, Chicken Broast, Chicken Roast, Chicken Korai, Korma, like Chicken Korma or Egg Korma. Also various types of Chicken gravies and curries.

Mutton and Beef dishes ex. Kebabs like Sheesh, Shashlik, Boti, Tikka Kebabs etc. with Naans like normal Naan or Garlic and Butter Naan. Mutton or Beef Keema, Nihari, Paya, Kofta, Kofta Korma, Haleem, Korai Gosht. And many kinds Beef and Mutton stew, gravies and curry. We tend to eat beef more than goat or lamb though.

We don't usually eat during evenings but when we do the popular choices are Puri, Samusa, Shingara, Mughlai Paratha or Cha (tea) with biscuits or sweets. We also love Fuchka, doi fuchka and chotpoti! Fuchkas are kind of like Pani Puri and Gol Gappa, not sure if they are the same... And we also eat Pithas especially during Winter season, and we eat Bhapa Pitha during that time.

Bangladesh/Bengali cuisine is also famous for it's wide range of sweet delicacies (Mishti) like Sandesh, Halwa, Roshogolla, Gulab Jamun, different kinds of Barfi, Doi (Dahi), Kalo Jaam, Roshmalai, Laddu, Bakarkhani, Kulfi, Falooda, Cham cham, Jilapi (Jalebi) and also beverages like Sharbat, Lassi, Cha, Roof Afza and Borhani.

So, I heard South Indians are mostly strict vegetarians and their food is really different from North India. The only food I hear about the South is Idli, Samba, Dosa and that they cook with Tamarind, Coconut oil or Coconut milk and they eat on leaves. Is that all true? I heard their food is also spicier than North Indian food. So what do South Indians eat? What do their diet and cuisine consist off? What spices do they use?

I heard they eat a lot of sea food but when we eat fish it is Fresh Water fish while Sea food is only common on the coastal cities of our country. Anyway, why is South Indian food different from North Indian food even if they are from the same country? And South Indians if you are here, give me your answers about your region's food like I have given above about Bangladeshi food.

Many of our dishes originates from Central and West Asia, I think. And we have similarities with Pakistan, North, Western India and offcoarse East India. Like, a lot of things are the same but they definitely differ in variations according to region. I do not know about South India... So where does South Indian food come from? Do they also eat the stuff that we eat? Is it also part of their culture?

Last edited:
Hi, I am from South India (Chennai). Yes, south Indian food is quite different from North Indian and I also believe the western part of India (Gujarat etc..) and Eastern (West Bengal etc..) also have their own unique cuisines. This, in my opinion, stems from the differing climates and conditions that exist in India (as it is a vast country). Also India has several unique cultures and languages to the extent that someone from Tamil Nadu has more culturally in common with Sri Lankans than with North Indians!

In the South yes, we do have several unique dishes. In the state of Kerala, a lot of coconut is used in their dishes and I also believe they eat a lot of sea food as well. In Tamil Nadu, we have the staple food which is rice along with Sambar , Rasam, Kuzhambus and various curries, known as porials. Poriyals are fried or sautaed vegetables and can be potatoes, okras etc...

Usually for breakfast, we eat Dosas (similar to pancakes) or Idlis along with chutneys (coconut, tomato etc..) and chilli powder w/oil. For lunch we eat meals (which is what I mentioned above) which is usually 3 rice dishes along with Sambar/Kuzhambu, Rasam and Curd separately. Also, 'parupu' (dal) can be added for sambar and kuzhambu rices. These dishes are complimented with Poriyals and 'appalams' which are similar to papadams and pickles. In addition, for special occasions or just for a change there is also a dish called 'kootu' made of vegetables that is mixed with rice as well. For the evening tiffin, there are again a variety of dishes. The most common are Upmas (which is also eaten for breakfast), dosas, idlis, bajjis etc... For dinner, again rice is eaten with poriyal. There

Also, there are variety of different Sambars/Kuzhambus/Rasam/Kootus with different vegetables. For example there is tomator rasam, garlic rasam, lime rasam etc...

Similarly there are also a variety of different dosas, idlis, upmas made with different vegetables. For example there is onion dosa, rava dosa( made with different batter) etc...

This is the typical full south Indian food eaten. However, usually people also eat chappatis and sabjis as well and these days the cuisines are mixed increasingly.

The other south indian cuisines (Andhra, Karnataka, Kerala) all have their own unique dishes. For example, Andhra is known for its 'gongura pickle' and Hyderbad Biriyani and Kerala for its 'Avial' which is a dish with mixed vegetables, coconut and curd. But in general, all of the south indian cuisines are quite similar with each having a little uniqueness.

Fyi, this was all vegetarian based (as I am mainly vegetarian). There are also meat based kozhambus, poriyals and other dishes For example, Malabar Chicken is famous from Kerala, which is made with ginger, coconut milk etc...

Hope this was informative :)

No idea why South Indian foods are different.

So, I heard South Indians are mostly strict vegetarians and their food is really different from North India. The only food I hear about the South is Idli, Samba, Dosa and that they cook with Tamarind, Coconut oil or Coconut milk and they eat on leaves. Is that all true? I heard their food is also spicier than North Indian food. So what do South Indians eat? What do their diet and cuisine consist off? What spices do they use?
you heard wrong. Kerala is strictly non-veg especially fish and beef. without fish or redmeat it is hard to have food in Kerala. exceptions are there like Brahmins,GSB's etc. it is northern India which is particularly vegetarian IMO(exceptions are there). I can find non-veg is common in Tamil nadu, Manglore etc. Iddaly, Dosa, Sambar etc are invention of Tulu Brahmins. they are popularly known as Udupi cuisine(giyf). our food was Appam, Puttu, Tapioca, Rice and fish/beef. till this day, other state people runs vegetarian restaurants in Kerala(mostly).
Cuisine of Kerala - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many of our dishes originates from Central and West Asia, I think. And we have similarities with Pakistan, North, Western India and offcoarse East India. Like, a lot of things are the same but they definitely differ in variations according to region. I do not know about South India... So where does South Indian food come from? Do they also eat the stuff that we eat? Is it also part of their culture?

I used to think BDeshi food was very similar to ours, but it is surprisingly different. Maybe it's the way it's prepared; but for the most part I don't think a Pakistani would be able to get used to the BDeshi/Bengali diet if required. Many similarities do exist nonetheless.

@levina
my food expert guide.....:D:D
kutch batayiye........north indiian aur sourh indian food ke baare me.....:p:

Hello! I am from Bangladesh and in Bangladesh we eat bhaat (Rice), ruti (Roti) porotha (Paratha); Ruti, Paratha and Aloo Paratha are mainly for breakfast with vegetables or aloo bhajji (Fry) or aloo gobi or niramish. Meat and fish are extremely important part of our diet.

Rice dishes like Plain Rice (With White or Brown Rice), Palaw (Pilaf), Biryani, Khichuri (Khichdi). Fish food like Ilish (Hilsa) Mach torkari (curry) or bhajji, Rui Mach torkari or bhajji, same with Pangash mach. We also eat daal like Masoor daal and Moong daal. Panta is rice in water and we eat it during Bangla new year; many people eat it with fish (Ilish) but my family only eats it with Bhortas especially aloo bhorta (mashed potatoes).

We eat types kinds of chicken dishes like Murgi Torkari (Chicken torkari), Chicken Tandoori, Chicken Tikka, Chicken Broast, Chicken Roast, Chicken Korai, Korma, like Chicken Korma or Egg Korma. Also various types of Chicken gravies and curries.

Mutton and Beef dishes ex. Kebabs like Sheesh, Shashlik, Boti, Tikka Kebabs etc. with Naans like normal Naan or Garlic and Butter Naan. Mutton or Beef Keema, Nihari, Paya, Kofta, Kofta Korma, Haleem, Korai Gosht. And many kinds Beef and Mutton stew, gravies and curry. We tend to eat beef more than goat or lamb though.

We don't usually eat during evenings but when we do the popular choices are Puri, Samusa, Shingara, Mughlai Paratha or Cha (tea) with biscuits or sweets. We also love Fuchka, doi fuchka and chotpoti! Fuchkas are kind of like Pani Puri and Gol Gappa, not sure if they are the same... And we also eat Pithas especially during Winter season, and we eat Bhapa Pitha during that time.

Bangladesh/Bengali cuisine is also famous for it's wide range of sweet delicacies (Mishti) like Sandesh, Halwa, Roshogolla, Gulab Jamun, different kinds of Barfi, Doi (Dahi), Kalo Jaam, Roshmalai, Laddu, Kulfi, Falooda, Cham cham, Jilapi (Jalebi) and also beverages like Sharbat, Lassi, Cha, Roof Afza and Borhani.

I heard they eat a lot of sea food but when we eat fish it is Fresh Water fish while Sea food is only common on the coastal cities of our country. Anyway, why is South Indian food different from North Indian food even if they are from the same country? And South Indians if you are here, give me your answers about your region's food like I have given above about Bangladeshi food.

One of the main reason is climate. The south Indian climate supports the growth of rice, ragi, sugarcane, coconut, spices etc
so the south Indian cuisine is derived from these raw materials

for example Idly, Dosa are derived from rice flour (fermented overnight) basically the south Indian cusine has everything thats easily available and locally grown.

Similarly the North Indian climate favors the growth of wheat, potato etc so Roti, Paratha etc are common.

This divide is basically due to the variation in climatic conditions.. Truly the subcontinent is one of the most diverse and rich which we should all be proud of..

@levina
my food expert guide.....:D:D
kutch batayiye........north indiian aur sourh indian food ke baare me.....:p:

North Indian food and south Indian foods are different because the geography is different.
North Indians use a lot of butter,mustard oil and spices.This so because that kinda food will keep the body warm.
South Indians use a lot of coconut because that would keep the body cool. No rocket science there! :-)
This is called the art of cooking :P

No idea why South Indian foods are different.

It probably has to do something with the Islamic invasion and their dishes influencing northern culture while Mughals never managed to get a hold of south India hence preserving its culture and its food ..

BTW.nothing can beat the South Indian fish fry ...aah Yummmm ....

simple-fish-fry.jpg

Eating in a Banana leaf has many health benefits as banana leaf has stuff on its leaf which has anti cancer and other properties which i can't immediately think of ...

Last edited:
It probably has to do something with the Islamic invasion and their dishes influencing northern culture while Mughals never managed to get a hold of south India hence preserving its culture and its food ..

While a few dishes did come to India through Islamic invasions, they did not wipe away the existing dietary habits of India, but merely supplemented it.

Hyderabad region is the best example. The region has been virtually under Islamic rule for nearly 400 years. Yet, Hyderabadi Biryani and Haleem and Kabab, though famous, aren't the staple diet there.

Why food habits differ from region to region is a silly question to ask........it's mainly due to the climate.....
The climates of Northern and Southern India are quite different......

While a few dishes did come to India through Islamic invasions, they did not wipe away the existing dietary habits of India, but merely supplemented it.

Hyderabad region is the best example. The region has been virtually under Islamic rule for nearly 400 years. Yet, Hyderabadi Biryani and Haleem and Kabab, though famous, aren't the staple diet there.

Of course , but the more you go down the more separate the lifestyle , culture and food gets..at least thats what i have noticed ...
But thats the thing about India , Mughal cultural influence is actually very less and most of the places they had to adapt to our culture . Indian culture and lifestyle is not something which can be easily replaced...

Of course , but the more you go down the more separate the lifestyle , culture and food gets..at least thats what i have noticed ...
But thats the thing about India , Mughal cultural influence is actually very less and most of the places they had to adapt to our culture . Indian culture and lifestyle is not something which can be easily replaced...

You from Kerala right? Am curious mate, how did Parotta end up being so famous and widespread in Kerala and parts of TN? Isn't it North Indian?

Back
Top Bottom