What's new

Why is China called the longest continual civilization?

CONTINUED

The Sanskrit term Dravida was also specifically used w.r.t. Tamils (never ceases to amuse me that the Tamil chauvinists essentially use the term given to them by the "Aryans").

As mentioned before, this is what happens when rank amateurs pursue an academic discipline in which they have no grounding, just because of an impression that they can analyse everything from first principles. So this egregious mistake.

The term Dravida is not Sanskrit, alas. It is Dravidian, that is to say, Tamilian. Since we are dealing with a fallow mind, it is worth pointing out that etymologically Dravid = Dramil = Tamil. So much for this piece of non-evidence.

Not clear whether they included the other populations in that term.

Are we permitted to ask, or is it a cognisable offence? What other populations? There are so many ghosts and spirits wandering through the mind of dear ole Bang that one hesitates to assume anything. For all I know, he is referring to the ancient Assyrians, whom the leftist historians - for some reason, he seems to think that it is smart to refer to this category and it will get him an instant laugh - have not categorically excluded from living in south Asia.

TO BE CONTINUED: THIS, OF COURSE, IS A PERFECT POST IN THE THREAD, AND FITS SO WELL. I AM LEFT WITH NO OPTION, REGRETTABLY.

I stared at posts No.90 & 91 from Joe Shearer in absolute amazement for the longest time.A little stunned & bewildered actually. I raise my difference with JS's earlier post & get a reply bordering on the rude & vituperative while attempting to mock me personally. Maybe JS is only considerate of civility when it pertains to Chinese members. Be that is it may, I will still endeavor to address only the points raised.

One basic issue which of course isn't big enough to raise Bang Galore's eyebrows is the existence of two hugely different language groups, with wholly dissimilar grammar, next to each other, each in its own continguous bloc, distributed among genetically identical people. But to Bang Galore, the existence of problems like this is not important. Rather like Sonia Gandhi; never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity. With an issue like this in front of him, he would rather concentrate on the political character of the analysts dealing with the question, or the probable political character, or the possible political character. Whatever. An opportunity to miss out on the main issue, analysis of the facts available, not to be missed.

Quite typical of my dear friend. Although I haven't ever met him, and don't have much in common with him, he spends so much time in close proximity that he must either be a friend or otherwise attracted to me. As I am sixty and well past the age when my pheromones mattered, it must be friendship.

Ok, I did promise to address the point but I must confess I can't find any in the above except that according to JS, I am somewhat like Sonia Gandhi. (Considering that she is, in some opinions a de facto PM, I guess I can't complain). Yeah & something about languages was mentioned. Never disputed that. We are writing in English, no one is calling themselves as English or calling where we live England which is what the supposedly Dravidian population did according to JS when they called themselves Aryans & called their land Aryavarta.

There was never a school of leftists or those partial to the left, whatever that curiousity of a phrase might mean, proposing that the Dravidians had been driven to the South by the Aryans. I can only surmise that in Bang Galore's clouded mind, his various enemies and imagined enemies have got inextricably intermingled, and given rise to this nonsense. This was, if anything, a Brahminical myth in north and south, glanced at in passing by historians of all shades of political persuasion.
Apart from my supposedly clouded mind imagining leftist historians & some enemies, no point here either.
The big problem that completely upsets Bang Galore's Dungeons and Dragons view of history is that the Aryan race theory was overthrown some seventy-five years or so before the pioneering work of Cavalli-Sforza on race and genetics. To history analysts - for want of a better term: they will surely not want to be part of the impure left and be described even with a qualifying adjective as amateur historians - like Bang, if one may be informal with him, is that these minor gaps of nearly a century are easily bridged. Anne McCaffrey showed the way. Just close your eyes, enter the world of the past, and SUMMON the dragons. They will appear with a puff of smoke and a ravening appetite at your doorstep. I am ashamed to admit that I have not felt the need to replace historican analysis with this whizz-Bang school of getting results from contradictory facts, but there are those....many of those, one is tempted to say there are those Galore.

More of the same. I was also not aware the the JS theory is widely accepted & taught as fact. My mistake, I guess!

Various bands of tribes of mixed blood, speaking an Indo-Aryan language and separated from their kinsmen speaking Avestan Iranian, an eastern Indo-Iranian language, descended from the steppes around the Oxus and the Jaxartes down through the mountain slopes bordering Afghanistan and south Asia. They found opposition and dealt with it, according to their own self-serving accounts, militarily, apparently with great success, and in spite of internecine battles among themselves. While they were not so large in numbers as to affect the genetic structure of the population that they encountered, their use of iron, and the relative settled and peaceful nature of the settlements that they encountered enabled them to impose themselves and their language on the region in the Gangetic, the Indus and the Narmada Plains. The original inhabitants of the rest of south Asia, the Brahmaputra Plain, the Godavari Plain and the Kaveri Plain, remained more or less undisturbed, and continued to speak their original Dravidian languages.

So far this is the coventional Aryan invasion theory with the caveat that the numbers were so small as to leave no trace genetically.

For the exact same reason as the Aryan languages spreading over what became known as Aryavarta; a small number of steppe-dwelling tribals speaking these languages using iron and the horse conquered a much larger, peaceful settled population with a much lower level of military technology. The conquered or compromising original populations, thought to have spoken Dravidian-Kol languages, accepted the conquerors' languages, and abandoned their own, except in the forests and village fastnesses; even today, these languages are alive and well in the forests and villages in Aryavarta.

The original inhabitants who were numerically so large as to completely subsume the invaders genetically accepted their language without protest as also their culture & more importantly even decided that they were all Aryans since they seem to hold no record of believing otherwise. Surely this must rank as one of the most successful brainwashing experiments ever!

Secondly, it was never an extinct people; it was a people that merged with the local population but never lost their memory of having been a different people. Similar things have happened before, and after. If evidence is required, it can be supplied - in great profusion.

Genetically extinct. The theory is that they merged with the local population & forced them to remember themselves as Aryans? The genetic evidence would suggest that. The very mild people who were the original inhabitants of the land must have possessed along with their mildness, an absolutely blank brain since they only remember the history of their numerically inferior conquerors and not any of their own(and I must point out, numerically so inferior that they have left behind no genetic traces).

This is what happens when confused minds try to deal with evidence, with an at best imperfect grasp of the evidence. The Rg Veda was one of four Vedas, and these were clearly, from internal evidence as well as from linguistic developments very clearly visible to trained linguists, composed at different times and reduced to writing in the same order that they were composed.

Other than the usual(and by now tiresome) dig, no point here too. I referred specifically only to the Rg veda which was not composed on the gangetic plains & therefore that the movement of the "Aryan" population into the gangetic plains cannot be connected to the stories of the Rg veda since it happened at a much later date. (btw, I am not sure whether they had already merged into the local population by this time in the JS theory which would then bring into question of who they were in the first place because any merging happening after this stage would have had to run into the caste barriers which had become entrenched after the Rg veda was composed & certainly before the Mahabharata & the the other vedas.)

First, we need to correct your dates.

The Rg Veda covered events more or less within the period 1700 BC to 1100 BC, the others correspondingly later, down to 900 or 800 BC. 800 BC is the earliest ascribed date of the Mahabharata, and its final recensions may have been written as late as 600 or 800 AD.

If we are to watch for information regarding the spread of the tribals and their languages through Aryavarta, we are looking for information relating to the period 1700 BC to 600 BC, not later than that, so certainly the 1st millennium BC is a little later than we should be looking, although its beginning, 1000 BC to 600 BC, is fine. This is covered, if we observe, by the later Vedas, and the Puranas, and by the Mahabharata. This is what we should be looking at.

I have raised the point before that the Mahabharata which according to you was composed about 1000 years after the Rg veda relied on ethnic connections with the Iranian tribes, something that should have been a problem if they were being absorbed into a unrelated(for the Iranian tribes) indigenous culture. If the ethnic absorption had not yet occurred by this period when caste had truly struck strong roots, I find it a bit of a stretch to imagine they were ethnically absorbed later. In any case, as late as in the 6th century BCE, tribes were still referring to the purity of their aryan lineage(which was my point about the Buddha's clan). So when exactly did they get absorbed into the indigenous population because by this time the concept of Aryavarta had been around for centuries.

Ah, the man has a delicate imagination, and it should not have been rudely boggled. Fair enough. Let us look through our tomes and present him with some evidence.

Boring by now.

Sounds familiar, eh? Now, for the Dungeons and Dragons lot, the total number of Normans involved, then and subsequently, was 8,000. Digest that number, and then think of this:

Large numbers of English people, especially from the dispossessed former landowning class, ultimately found Norman domination unbearable and emigrated.

And yet we have no historical record of a members of a supposedly large indigenous population in N.India deciding that they would not accept the imposition of an alien culture on them & fleeing accordingly. In the points raised above, atleast some people bothered to note down the historical happenings as opposed to a non existent noting of such amazing changes happening in N.India.

This is getting boring. Last example:

3. A small number of Spaniards conquered the whole continent of South America. The number is estimated to be less than 2%.

Throughout the conquest, the numbers of people within the indigenous nations greatly exceeded the Spanish conquistadors; on average the Spanish population never exceeded 2% of the native population.

The imagination of the Incas must have boggled. However, South America became Spanish speaking for the most part (yes, Victoria, i can spell Brazil).

I agree with the boring bit because though conquered, the indigenous population retains some remnants of knowledge of their past & certainly haven't thought of themselves as Spanish or Portuguese. These are in any cases poor examples because while the indigenous population was larger than the number of invaders present at any given time, the invaders had continuous access to a larger mother country both for sustaining them in their fight & to draw resources from initially. The more important point is that the memory of the conquest & atrocities committed remain. Why would not at least some of the indigenous people who supposedly existed in N.India not move to the South where their kinsmen supposedly lived carrying with them tales of the invaders brutality or some other such stories. Why did the non invaded S.Indian "Dravidians" end up with the same social system as those in N.India?

As mentioned before, this is what happens when rank amateurs pursue an academic discipline in which they have no grounding, just because of an impression that they can analyse everything from first principles. So this egregious mistake.

The term Dravida is not Sanskrit, alas. It is Dravidian, that is to say, Tamilian. Since we are dealing with a fallow mind, it is worth pointing out that etymologically Dravid = Dramil = Tamil. So much for this piece of non-evidence.

Never said anything about being anything other than a "rank amateur". Anyway a different view is presented below.
The English word Dravidian was first employed by Robert Caldwell in his book of comparative Dravidian grammar based on the usage of the Sanskrit word drāvida in the work Tantravārttika by Kumārila Bhaṭṭa (Zvelebil 1990:xx). Caldwell coined the term "Dravidian" from the Sanskrit drāvida, which was used in an 8th-century text to refer to South India by Adi Shankara. The publication of the Dravidian etymological dictionary by T. Burrow and M. B. Emeneau was a landmark event in Dravidian linguistics.

As for the origin of the Sanskrit word drāviḍa, there have been various theories proposed. Basically the theories are about the direction of derivation between tamiẓ and drāviḍa. That is to say, while linguists such as Zvelebil assert that the direction is tamiẓ >drāviḍa (ibid. page xxi), others state that the name Dravida also forms the root of the word Tamil (Dravida -> Dramila -> Tamizha or Tamil).[who?]

The word Dravida may also have its origin from Sanskrit 'drava' - meaning "flowing" or "watery", which also appears as a Slavic, Celtic-derived, river name in Europe. The word Dravidian may have been used to identify people living in India close to the sea. Since southern India is surrounded by sea on three sides, the word may been used predominantly to identify the inhabitants of these areas.[1]

There is no definite philological and linguistic basis for asserting unilaterally that the name Dravida also forms the origin of the word Tamil (Dravida -> Dramila -> Tamizha or Tamil). Zvelebil cites the forms such as dramila (in Da&#7751;&#7693;in's Sanskrit work Avanisundar&#299;kath&#257;) dami&#7735;a (found in Ceylonese chronicle Mahavamsa) and then goes on to say (ibid. page xxi): "The forms dami&#7735;a/damila almost certainly provide a connection of dr(a/&#257;)vi&#7693;a " and "... tami&#7735; < tami&#7827; ...whereby the further development might have been *tami&#7827; > *dami&#7735; > dami&#7735;a- / damila- and further, with the intrusive, 'hypercorrect' (or perhaps analogical) -r-, into dr(a/&#257;)vi&#7693;a. The -m-/-v- alternation is a common enough phenomenon in Dravidian phonology" (Zvelebil 1990:xxi) Zvelebil in his earlier treatise (Zvelebil 1975: p53) states: "It is obvious that the Sanskrit dr(a/&#257;)vi&#7693;a, Pali damila, dami&#7735;o and Prakrit d(a/&#257;)vi&#7693;a are all etymologically connected with tami&#7827;" and further remarks "The r in tami&#7827; > dr(a/&#257;)vi&#7693;a is a hypercorrect insertion, cf. an analogical case of DED 1033 Ta. kamuku, Tu.kangu "areca nut": Skt. kramu(ka).". Further, another eminent Dravidian linguist Bhadriraju Krishnamurti in his book Dravidian Languages (Krishnamurti 2003:p2, footnote 2) states: "Joseph (1989: IJDL 18.2:134-42) gives extensive references for the use of the term dravi&#7693;a, dramila first as the name of a people, then of a country. Sinhala inscriptions BCE [Before Christian Era] cite dame&#7693;a-, damela- denoting Tamil merchants. Early Buddhist and Jaina sources used dami&#7735;a- to refer to a people of in south India (presumably Tamil); damilara&#7789;&#7789;ha- was a southern non-Aryan country; drami&#7735;a-, drami&#7693;a, and dravi&#7693;a- were used as variants to designate a country in the south (B&#7771;hatsamhita-, K&#257;dambar&#299;, Da&#347;akum&#257;racarita-, 4th to 7th centuries CE) (1989: 134-8). It appears that dami&#7735;a- was older than dravi&#7693;a- which could be its Sanskritization."

My point stands. Wherever the word originally originated from, Dravida is Sanskrit. As a rank amateur, I cannot be taking sides with which theory to prefer, something best left to experts like you.

Are we permitted to ask, or is it a cognisable offence? What other populations? There are so many ghosts and spirits wandering through the mind of dear ole Bang that one hesitates to assume anything. For all I know, he is referring to the ancient Assyrians, whom the leftist historians - for some reason, he seems to think that it is smart to refer to this category and it will get him an instant laugh - have not categorically excluded from living in south Asia.

Sigh! Was referring to the non Tamil people of S.India. For all I know, the Assyrians could have been present since they meet your most important criteria of being genetically absent. Maybe the S.Indian tribes refused to accept foreign culture which is why no traces of them remain.:D

Last edited:
History, unfortunately for amateurs who like playing the mental equivalent of Dungeons and Dragons, is a serious academic discipline. Merely because history texts are generally far more readable than texts in other academic disciplines it does not mean that we can achieve the status and capacity of historians by sitting and watching idly as ideas float by, and reaching out and toying with whatever catches our fancy. Unfortunately, that is the approach that has been taken by our friend, and by many, many others besides. It doesn't work. There is no royal road to geometry, said Pythagoras; he might have added that there is no royal road to history either. It is not enough to detect seeming discrepancies, discrepancies that exist only in our minds due to less than complete knowledge, and build nonsensical demolition plans based on such detections. This is the essence of the Dungeons and Dragons school; no study is required, no background is required, some superficial toying around with the evident facts, some distortions which seem amusing and some injection of political thoughts just to titillate the reader, and bang! (not coincidentally) we are on our way.

My sincere request: please study a little, and don't come to a discussion so woefully equipped. It is a discipline, albeit an easy one to read; it is not an easy one to master. No facile assumptions, no glib theories are justified without that essential background of hard-core knowledge.

Last edited:
... there was no animal called an Aryan. There were tribes which spoke Indo-Aryan, a branch of Indo-Iranian, itself a branch of Indo-European, finally descended, it is thought, from a root language terms Proto-Indo-European by linguists.

It seems to have been acknowledged universally that the history of India still has many myths left to be addressed. Thus, more archeological proofs are needed to prove/disprove some deduction/conjectures, which are in contrast to the histories of, for instance, Greek or China, where many details were actually and accurately recorded.

My personal observation tends to believe that there has been too much politics involved in the study of the history of India, partly due to lack of sufficient written records/archeological proofs, partly due to too many social upheavals on this continent. That is actually not good for a neutral and factual study of the history...

Regardless, in terms of Aryan, if it does exist, there seems like a number explanation existing. One reading of mine says Aryans were perhaps a mixture of tribes in today’s south west Mongolia and Huns (Xiongnu); another nonetheless said this was a tribe or a group of tribes lived in today’s south Russia. Perhaps it is still not quite definite who they were. The word Aryan, being politically abused, has vast meanings, too.

Social structurally, people also said caste system was introduced by them into India. Question is: was this system born before they invaded India continent or during their stay in the continent? Maybe the latter was more accurate as there is not much talk about the system in other “Aryan” descendents.

Finally, an excerpt of wiki for general reading:
Indo-Aryan migration

Main article: Indo-Aryan migration
See also: Out of India theory
Models of the Indo-Aryan migration discuss scenarios of prehistoric migrations of the early Indo-Aryans to their historically attested areas of settlement in the northwest of the Indian subcontinent and from there further across all of North India. Claims of Indo-Aryan migration are primarily drawn from linguistic[17] evidence but also from a multitude of data stemming from genetics,[18](although more recent genetic studies cast doubt on the certitude of earlier claims),[19] Vedic religion, rituals, poetics as well as some aspects of social organization and chariot technology.

All discussion of historical Indo-Aryan migrations or Aryan and Dravidian races remains highly controversial in India to this day, and continues to affect political and religious debate. Some Dravidians, and supporters of the Dalit movement, most commonly Tamils, claim that the worship of Shiva is a distinct Dravidian religion going back to the Indus Civilization,[20] to be distinguished from Brahminical "Aryan" Hinduism. In contrast, the Indian nationalist Hindutva movement argues that no Aryan invasion or migration ever occurred, asserting that Vedic beliefs emerged from the Indus Valley Civilisation,[21] which pre-dated the supposed advent of the Indo-Aryans in India, and is identified as a likely candidate for a Proto-Dravidian culture.

Some Indians were also influenced by the debate about the Aryan race during the British Raj. The Indian nationalist V. D. Savarkar believed in the theory that an "Aryan race" migrated to India,[22] but he didn't find much value in a racialized interpretation of the "Aryan race".[23] Some Indian nationalists supported the British version of the theory because it gave them the prestige of common descent with the ruling British class.[24]

[edit] Genetic studies

A genetic study in the year 2000 in Andhra Pradesh state of India found that the upper caste Hindus were closer relatives to Eastern-Europeans than to Hindus from lower castes.[25] However, a study conducted by the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology in 2009 (in collaboration with Harvard Medical School, Harvard School of Public Health and the Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT) analyzed half a million genetic markers across the genomes of 132 individuals from 25 ethnic groups from 13 states in India across multiple caste groups.[26] The study asserts, based on the impossibility of identifying any genetic indicators across caste lines, that castes in South Asia grew out of traditional tribal organizations during the formation of Indian society, and was not the product of any Aryan invasion and "subjugation" of Dravidian people.[27]

Aryan race - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

our(indian) ancestors made the biggest mistake in the 11th century

to all pakistani's ,how important do you consider islam on a scale of 1-10 a pillar of your history

While I concur heartily with the broad message conveyed in your note, there are some specific issues which you may find interesting. These have been raised next to your earlier comment on that relevant issue, in blue, through the passages below.

In general, I will again draw attention to the last note I wrote on the subject, in the note immediately preceding this note under comment itself, and very sincerely caution against quick conclusions based on a glance through an online reference.

It seems to have been acknowledged universally that the history of India still has many myths left to be addressed. Thus, more archeological proofs are needed to prove/disprove some deduction/conjectures, which are in contrast to the histories of, for instance, Greek or China, where many details were actually and accurately recorded.

You are aware, of course, as you write this, that we are considering the proto-historical period, not the strictly historical period, in all three cases.

It has been a practice, a boring practice but a relevant one, as the present discussion seems to indicate, to state clearly without ambiguity that the proposals relating to the wandering of the Indo-Aryans, their predecessors, the Indo-Iranians, and their predecessors in turn, the Indo-Europeans, are very largely influenced by linguistics and linguists, and that historians strictly speaking refuse to discuss this period as being within their purview, while archaeologists merely point to the Andronovo culture, the Bactria-Margiana Archaeological Complex and the Yaz culture without linking it to any language or ethnicity.

The same thing applies to the Greeks.

If we look at the proto-history of Greece during the period 2500 BC to 1500 BC, the period that I covered in my earlier notes, you may find a situation similar to what you have vividly described above. And quite rightly so. The Greeks themselves obtained their language, a Centum language rather than the Satam language of the Indo-Iranians, as a result of the violent entry of first, the Ionians and the Aeolians, somewhere between the third and the second millennium BC and finally the Dorians around 1100 BC as tribes into Greece through a variety of routes, mainly through Thessaly in Europe. Their language replaced, in an uncanny parallel to the proposed proto-history that you may have read in my notes, which did run on a bit, an earlier language and they replaced, unlike India, an earlier race whom they described as the Pelasgians. Pelasgian groups still survived, and as late as Herodotus were to be found speaking their language in obscure corners of Greece. They had quite died out in another two generations.

Just to fill out the picture, Ionian and Aeolian Greeks formed the ethnic foundation for the Mycenaean civilisation, and spoke a combined tongue called the Arcadocypriot language, which was in turn displaced in parts of the Peloponnesus by Dorian Greek.

My knowledge of Chinese history is not as intensive as it is in the case of broader aspects of European and western, central and south Asian history, and I leave it to you to correlate the reconstructions I have offered with the corresponding level of known fact in China. In other words, you may like to check what was the level of known fact versus conjecture and proposals under verification in the equivalent period of time, 2500 BC to 1500 BC, along the northern and southern river valleys that formed Chinese civilisation and Chinese cultures in later centuries.

I agree wholly with your opening sentence, and wish to point out that it is rather more universally applicable than you seem to have meant. The reason for the slight mismatch in our views is that you have not considered the periods in question, and may not have taken into account that from the birth of the Buddha, in the seventh century BC, Indian history takes on a far more tangible form and emerges from proto-history into history proper.

For the rest, there is merit in your observations, and your cautions are quite properly made. I will, however, seek leave to enquire further about a point you have made later in your comment.

My personal observation tends to believe that there has been too much politics involved in the study of the history of India, partly due to lack of sufficient written records/archeological proofs, partly due to too many social upheavals on this continent. That is actually not good for a neutral and factual study of the history...

You may wish to consider that much of the drama and political tincturing has been due to the rise of a violent political culture in post-independence India, a culture based on an aggressive 'interpretation' of religion, culture and ethnicity and their influence on nationalism. Prior to this culture there was originally far less disorder and turbulence, largely because the theories put about had imperial sanction; they were beyond question. Subsequently, preceding the politically-induced period of controversy, which continues to the present day, there was a period of realignment of the doctrinaire imperialist views with generally-held views globally, to the effect that the imperialist views were partially modified; the more egregious elements of those views, particularly those dealing with race, were abandoned under the withering scorn of international scholarly criticism and disapproval. This was not, emphatically, in any way related to the OOI theory of the latter-day factionalists.

Regardless, in terms of Aryan, if it does exist, there seems like a number explanation existing. One reading of mine says Aryans were perhaps a mixture of tribes in today&#8217;s south west Mongolia and Huns (Xiongnu);

I am fascinated by this remark, and would like to know more about what has led you to this conclusion.

The reason for my interest is that we are a long way away today from what might be described in sarcastic vein as the golden age of ignorance, when Indian history - for that matter, the proto-history that these accounts deal with - depended on internal Indian sources alone. We have since then learnt to take judicious account of external sources of integrity and worth; Chinese annals are now more and more frequently used in some circles to cross-check and reference situations and events thought to have occurred. This has proved to be a welcome compass for historians and those interested in proto-historical periods alike. Just as a casual, throw-away example, you may like to refer to the three volumes of Chinese Sources of South Asian History in Translation: Data for Study of India-China Relations through History by Haraprasad Ray.

A concatenation of linguistics, archaeology and the study of historical annals in Chinese leads to the following conclusions:
  • Prior to 500 BC, the situation in northern Central Asia, the steppelands around the Caspian and Aral Seas, was dominated by largely Iranian speaking tribes;
  • These lands had been vacated by the Indo-Aryans on the one hand, and by the east Iranian speaking Medes on the other hand, while the religion of the latter was developed and recorded in the Avestan dialect of iranian which has such close links to Indo-Aryan;
  • This space was then, in the latter days of the Achaemenids, occupied by Scythian tribes, who ranged from the Takla Makan to the outskirts of Europe;
  • Darius had tried to pursue these Scythians in the European steppes, and their pastoral way of life allowed them to remain one day's march away from the Persian Army at any given point of time; the Persians gave up after fruitless sweeps through the steppes failed to bring the Scythians to a set piece battle;
  • These Scythians were apparently of mixed ethnicity, but their master classes, their rulers and warriors, seem to have belonged to one group; their burial tumuli have been excavated and indicate so, an indirect corroboration of some aspects of the Indo-Aryan proposal;
  • Archaeology reveals that a blonde or red-haired tribe of fair people with sharp noses and dressed similarly to the Scythians, lived in the Takla Makan desert and further east; these mysterious people have been identified as the Tocharians;
  • Chinese annals also inform us that a consequence of both Xiong Nu victorious expansionism and push west when defeated by pre-Imperial Chinese generals was to put pressure on the Tocharians;
  • It is recorded that the Xiong Nu king defeated the Tocharian king and drank out of his silver-mounted skull (presumably the dead man's skull);
  • These events in the second and third centuries BC split the Tocharians into three: one group assimilated with the Xiong Nu as vassals, another broke south and went into the Tibetan wilderness, while the third pushed out the Scythians from their original dwelling places around present-day Tajikistan and pushed them down into the Bactrian cities of the Bactrian Greeks, destroying that civilisation;
  • A further push by the Xiong Nu pushed the erstwhile Tocharians, by now identified by the names of one of the five leading clans, the Yueh Chi, the Moon Clan, further south and west; the unfortunate Scythians were again pushed out, this time moving south through present-day Afghanistan and the Indus Valley through the southern passes around Kandahar, settling 'Saka-sthan', subsequently known as Seistan;
  • The Tocharian refugees themselves followed on hard, and by the turn of the millennium were to be found in Afghanistan and in the north-western parts of India, finally penetrating as far as Mathura on the Yamuna valley at their maximum point of expansion into the Ganges River culture;
  • The Xiong Nu seem to have been ethnically completely different from either the Scythians who were ethnically mixed east Iranian speakers or the Tocharians, who were ethnically homogenous speakers of an Indo-European tongue;
I suggest that your reading may be due to a confusion between the Xiong Nu, who in later centuries may have contributed jointly with the Siberian tribes to the formation of the Turks, and the Tocharians. Do please let me have your views, which I shall await with interest.

another nonetheless said this was a tribe or a group of tribes lived in today&#8217;s south Russia. Perhaps it is still not quite definite who they were. The word Aryan, being politically abused, has vast meanings, too.

This is perfectly true. Yet for those who have been immersed in these studies for decades, it is difficult to avoid coming to conclusions in one direction or another, even if such conclusions need revision in the light of subsequent discoveries. I submit that that was the course my evaluation of the Indo-Aryan situation has taken, and I submit that the corrections brought in by the re-discovery of the work of Soviet archaeologists and of the seminal work of Marija Gimbutas has had a dramatic effect on my views.

Social structurally, people also said caste system was introduced by them into India. Question is: was this system born before they
invaded India continent or during their stay in the continent? Maybe the latter was more accurate as there is not much talk about the system in other &#8220;Aryan&#8221; descendents.

The question of caste will take continuous writing for the next two weeks to introduce. I have nothing to say on it at the moment, for this reason and no other.

However, I tend to agree with your conclusion, for precisely the reasons that you have adduced.

Finally, an excerpt of wiki for general reading:

Very respectfully, I strongly deprecate using Wikipedia as a standard reference. While it is invaluable as a quick reference, each and every conclusion mentioned in this reference needs to be independently corroborated from other, primary or secondary sources. I have found it useful, but so is tobacco useful to concentrate one's thoughts. A long-term use of tobacco is not thereby indicated.

This particular article is, I regret to point out, far worse written than others.

Last edited:
No, its you you people who enrage me by denying us of our civilization, Why do you people have to claim our history why not chinese or australian, why pakistan. We are not conjoined twins, we dont have a shared history. We were always separate until 13 century

Why don't you start going to some real school and learning some real History, rather than studying in Zaid Hamids school. Pakistan never existed before 1947, some fundamentalist got together and killed Hindus for over centuries and now claim it to be their land!

Secondly, Learn something real about Aryans, Aryans doesnt mean a race, it is about culture. It is about noble qualities, Just using the name Aryan, doesn't makes anyone Aryan. Read this to gain some knowledge.

Aryan Invasion &#8212; History or Politics? By Dr. N.S. Rajaram

Death of the Aryan Invasion Theory

We true Aryans don't need to shout and advertise ourselves. We are still connected to the culture and traditions of past, which I don't see in Pakistanis.

History, unfortunately for amateurs who like playing the mental equivalent of Dungeons and Dragons, is a serious academic discipline. Merely because history texts are generally far more readable than texts in other academic disciplines it does not mean that we can achieve the status and capacity of historians by sitting and watching idly as ideas float by, and reaching out and toying with whatever catches our fancy. Unfortunately, that is the approach that has been taken by our friend, and by many, many others besides. It doesn't work. There is no royal road to geometry, said Pythagoras; he might have added that there is no royal road to history either. It is not enough to detect seeming discrepancies, discrepancies that exist only in our minds due to less than complete knowledge, and build nonsensical demolition plans based on such detections. This is the essence of the Dungeons and Dragons school; no study is required, no background is required, some superficial toying around with the evident facts, some distortions which seem amusing and some injection of political thoughts just to titillate the reader, and bang! (not coincidentally) we are on our way.

It's both what is so nice about history and what is not so nice about history. Accessible but accessible to the point when everyone thinks they have the final word when really
it's all about testing the depths of one's own ignorance.

Last edited:
CardSharp said:
It's both what is so nice about history and what is not so nice about history. Accessible but accessible to the point when everyone thinks they have the final word when really
it's all about testing the depths of one's own ignorance.

CardSharp, dear friend, you have a wicked edge to your tongue.

Your comment is so unfortunately accurate, and fits all amateur and professional historians so well.

I don't know whether to laugh myself into a fit, or find your exact coordinates and fire off a hand-made missile to that destination.

Since we are all waiting for your magnum opus on the Sino-Vietnamese tamasha, perhaps it is best to spare you for a while longer. But not much longer - you have been warned!! ;-)

Last edited:
While I concur ...

Dear Joe,

Come back with the result: the book I once read (ISBN 0-88029-557-5, p33) merely says that the Aryans were perhaps the tribes in south west of Siberia (as opposed to near Caspian Sea). It doesn't specifically say they were Hun/Mongols. (note: Hun is a generic name).

You are right that I was not accurate in the sense that not every stage of Indian history is not clear, but some periods. more so perhaps before Mauryan empire. I'm wondering what factors (life style, philosophy, ideology, religious believing, or any other reasons) that made ancient Indians relatively not interested in recording their events? Maybe they were content with Rig Vedic?

For instance, Mauryan empire was perhaps mainly studied through the edicts, potteries and coins with cross reference from foreign country's history books, but why there isn't much written materials similar to the Chinese "bamboo annals" Bamboo Annals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia where events were inscribed on a piece of bamboo, a kind of plant that should also be abundant in India?

"You may wish to consider that much of the drama and political tincturing has been due to the rise of a violent political culture in post-independence India, a culture based on an aggressive 'interpretation' of religion, culture and ethnicity and their influence on nationalism."

Do you ever read about Indian colonial rule of Indonesia? Perhaps similar to this article ? Some Western scholars don't believe so (maybe in my above-mentioned book), and dismiss it as sheer nationalism. BTW, the book actually talks about an event in 1920s, before the independence but the nationalism had been stirred up.

BTW again, the book you mentioned must be fascinating. I'd like to have a peek...

BTW trice, the site China History Forum is pretty decent in terms of studying Chinese history. Not many fanatics there :woot: and perhaps worthy visiting at your leisure time.

Dear Joe,

Come back with the result: the book I once read (ISBN 0-88029-557-5, p33) merely says that the Aryans were perhaps the tribes in south west of Siberia (as opposed to near Caspian Sea). It doesn't specifically say they were Hun/Mongols. (note: Hun is a generic name).

You are right that I was not accurate in the sense that not every stage of Indian history is not clear, but some periods. more so perhaps before Mauryan empire. I'm wondering what factors (life style, philosophy, ideology, religious believing, or any other reasons) that made ancient Indians relatively not interested in recording their events? Maybe they were content with Rig Vedic?

For instance, Mauryan empire was perhaps mainly studied through the edicts, potteries and coins with cross reference from foreign country's history books, but why there isn't much written materials similar to the Chinese "bamboo annals" Bamboo Annals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia where events were inscribed on a piece of bamboo, a kind of plant that should also be abundant in India?

"You may wish to consider that much of the drama and political tincturing has been due to the rise of a violent political culture in post-independence India, a culture based on an aggressive 'interpretation' of religion, culture and ethnicity and their influence on nationalism."

Do you ever read about Indian colonial rule of Indonesia? Perhaps similar to this article ? Some Western scholars don't believe so (maybe in my above-mentioned book), and dismiss it as sheer nationalism. BTW, the book actually talks about an event in 1920s, before the independence but the nationalism had been stirred up.

BTW again, the book you mentioned must be fascinating. I'd like to have a peek...

BTW trice, the site China History Forum is pretty decent in terms of studying Chinese history. Not many fanatics there :woot: and perhaps worthy visiting at your leisure time.

Just a hasty note, on my way to the hospital to retrieve my father: what a fascinating note! I can't say how delighted I am to get a chance to discuss this most puzzling difference between two Asian civilisations which grew next to each other, not in proximity, but certainly not without clear and well-recorded knowledge of each other.

Please allow me a few hours to get back - DON'T GO AWAY, PLEASE!

I sincerely hope CardSharp and Alternative are watching this thread, at least.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom