What's new

Why is bicycle not popular in Pakistan?

GeraltofRivia

Reaction score
Country
China
I read a old Chinese novel recently, which talks about the importance bicycle in Chinese daily life back in 80s. Bicycle is reasonably affordable and would significantly improved people’s mobility. Most importantly It doesn’t consume any fuel to run apart from man power. It is a wonderful transportation tool for people in developing nations to improve life quality and productivity. I am talking about work horse bicycle like the ones in the old photo below, not fancy mountain bike.

8E27ADE1-2FF0-47BA-8D44-FFF8B36F75AD.jpeg

I could be wrong but from what I see, bicycle is not that popular in Pakistani society. I know there are lot of motorcycles but it is an upgrade to bicycle rather than a substitute. What is the reason for that? Is it due to lack of availability or something else?

Last edited:
Cause we use this instead - it's very cheap, efficient, reliable, easy to fix
View attachment 862814
Different companies copy paste and sell the same thing with different labels
View attachment 862816
Yes I can see lot of them on the road. Certainly they are superior than bicycle in terms of speed and load. However they are an upgrade from bicycle and not everyone can afford one. Why would people have bicycle before upgrading to motorcycles?

Someone should create a 2 in 1 type (electric/manual) bicycle for Pakistan.

Something that can switch from manual mode to battery/electric mode as user desire.

Yes I can see lot of them on the road. Certainly they are superior than bicycle in terms of speed and load. However they are an upgrade from bicycle and not everyone can afford one. Why would people have bicycle before upgrading to motorcycles?
Vast majority of people can afford it, rural,urban, unless you are living in extreme poverty you can afford it, as it's already cheap but almost every company offers monthly loan programs to pay off the bike,

Most middle class folks get their motorcycle when they start college

I read a old Chinese novel recently, which talks about the importance bicycle in Chinese daily life back in 80s. Bicycle is reasonably affordable and would significantly improved people’s mobility. Most importantly It doesn’t consume any fuel to run apart from man power. It is a wonderful transportation tool for people in developing nations to improve life quality and productivity. I am talking about work horse bicycle like the ones in the old photo below, not fancy mountain bike.

View attachment 862810

I could be wrong but from what I see, bicycle is not that popular in Pakistani society. I know there are lot of motorcycles but it is an upgrade to bicycle rather than a substitute. What is the reason for that? Is it due to lack of availability or something else?
Have you heard of sohrab bicycle

Don't you have cycling clubs where boys/girls cycle early morning and evening ? Only ludhiana has 5 cycling groups that I know of with around 150 -200 sports orientated cyclists

View attachment 862810

I don't know about this post. Depends when you were living, back in the 80's and early 90's bicycles were plenty popular in Pakistan.

1658094547803.png

The workhorse of every working class household. Then in the early naughties, the cash deposite 70 cc scooter from Honda became very popular and as people started travelling more, taking children to school at longer distances and travelling wit family (pillion) - those blue collar workers who could afford it, swapped their bicycles for the scooter.

Bicycles are still popular in Pakistan. bicycles
In Pakistan, at least high-end mountain bikes and streamlined roadsters, are not produced locally. According to annual international trade statistics, the value of imports of bicycles to Pakistan totaled $6.1 million in 2019. During 2019, Pakistan imported about 1.7 million bicycles and bicycle parts, and exported only about 12,000.
1658094820984.png

1658094871147.png

1658094948540.png

1658095078764.png

Its not fun going by a bicycle in hot temperatures on crazy roads

The CD70 bike costs $530 only. That's insanely cheap. A comparable bike in India would be the splendor plus and that costs $900! :close_tema:

Have you heard of sohrab bicycle
No I haven’t. Thanks a lot, this is what I have I mind - family and work bike, not really recreational ones.

Its not fun going by a bicycle in hot temperatures on crazy roads
That makes sense. I’d imagine it won’t be really workable.

Vast majority of people can afford it, rural,urban, unless you are living in extreme poverty you can afford it, as it's already cheap but almost every company offers monthly loan programs to pay off the bike,

Most middle class folks get their motorcycle when they start college
Sure thing. What about low class folks i.e. not in poverty but not rich?

I guess the affordability of motorcycles makes quite a difference.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom