What's new

Why India's yuppies want Starbucks (it's not about the coffee)

Contrary to what some of us might like to believe, i think the Author is BANG on target. The arrival of Starbucks is, again, subconsciously perceived by many as a sign of approval by an emissary of glorified western lifestyles. Pretty much like the response to Formula 1 in Delhi. For instance, after the win - at the podium, a media person quickly interviewed Vettel and spoke of comparisons with Senna. Soon after, the guy next to me on the stand asked who Senna was!!!

We Indians are suckers for **** like this. And we hate to admit it.

BTW - my best coffee experience was with my girlfriend. Heheh!!

Actually India and Pakistan have this elitist culture where acting and speaking foreign is perceived to have elevated you to the higher level. Its a psychological problem in the English speaking classes in both countries.

Honestly, if Starbucks opens in Karachi, it will be the same thing. People lining up and shelling out thousands of rupees on a foreign drink they are not familiar with but want to be looked up and counted in the upper class crowd.

There is a Costa coffee chain there and the last time I went there, they were giving a piece chocolate cake for Rs. 800. Its the type of money our classes are willing to pay to pretend upscale when many poor are having to struggle to get two meals in a day.

Starbucks wont stand a chance agaisnt Cafe Coffe Day and Barista...these desi brands rock

1350 stores
they open a cafe every week.

203682346_4446d26939_o.jpg

300 they now are opening a cafe every week.
2003103000040101.jpg

Starbucks is not the first in India, Hard Rock cafe and Costa Coffee have already failed to make a mark. Main reasons being absurd flavours adjusted to western palate,pricing,advertising etc.

Actually India and Pakistan have this elitist culture where acting and speaking foreign is perceived to have elevated you to the higher level. Its a psychological problem in the English speaking classes in both countries.

Honestly, if Starbucks opens in Karachi, it will be the same thing. People lining up and shelling out thousands of rupees on a foreign drink they are not familiar with but want to be looked up and counted in the upper class crowd.

There is a Costa coffee chain there and the last time I went there, they were giving a piece chocolate cake for Rs. 800. Its the type of money our classes are willing to pay to pretend upscale when many poor are having to struggle to get two meals in a day.

Cafe Culture is a serious business in India and the growth doesn't come from Mumbai and Delhi but from smaller towns like Sholapur ,Dehradun and Jammu.Average Indian not rich elite goes there.

LOlllllll at the article..... looks more like a advertisment to me

what is this
Elitist or not, many young Indians want somewhere quiet and comfortable that they can chat, date … and use a clean toilet
when you with your friend do you really care where you are .....thru us in jungle and we still have a ball time ...whats with this you need to be in starbuck to enjoy with your friend......They can fool western kids and no life business guys with this motto not us........
Only time i go to CCD or Barista is when i m meeting a girl..baki doston ki sali aukkad nahi hai wahan leke jaane ki:P just kidding
My nukaad Anna will beats this Coffee giant anyday..........

The author is right...more than coffee its a place where the young couples can meet away from the prying eyes.

The author is right...more than coffee its a place where the young couples can meet away from the prying eyes.

Starbucks sucks.

I am not a yuppy puppy by a long shot, but it still sucks.

Freshly ground filter coffee. Now that's good coffee.

Nothing like Freshly ground Filter Kapeee from any hotel in Mylapore or Tnagar..Chennai...the smell alone is an Aphrodisiac.

Also a special variety of swedish coffee beans I tried recently at a hotel.

Nothing like Freshly ground Filter Kapeee from any hotel in Mylapore or Tnagar..Chennai...the smell alone is an Aphrodisiac.

Cafe Coffee day will be difficult to beat. They already have the best locations, they are awash with money, have 10000 acres of Coffee estates and are well established. While Starbucks definitely has brand recall, getting good real estate at decent prices will be the key. That is where CCD has a big advantage and unlike other players, will not be intimidated by the financial clout of Starbucks.

I agree with you totally, mate. We've got this problem that everything that is foreign is wonderful and the best part is we fail to emulate the good qualities of western countries such as high integrity in work, fair payscale, better working conditions, pro-development and free-thinking innovation... and that too BIG TIME.

Coffee isn't so foreign as they make it sound. The problem here is that people think that by spending hundreds on a cup/glass of coffee, they will be more impressive in the society as "oh they have a higher capacity to spend".

It is a very colonial mindset that is prevalent in India as I don't know much about your country.

I see you've got the same problem 100% as we do.

This wannabe attitude is what makes us look pathetic in front of the world.

Very well pointed out. :tup:

The only factor drinks at Starbucks will increase is the size of your waistline...

Overpriced, unhealthy drinks for people who want to be "hip"

I've had south Indian traditional coffee when I had visited an old buddy's house in Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu. Simply out of this world. It made me a big fan of BRU. :D

So made it my acquired taste.

I've had south Indian traditional coffee when I had visited an old buddy's house in Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu. Simply out of this world. It made me a big fan of BRU. :D

So made it my acquired taste.

Try this inexpensive Vietnamese coffee and it will become your new acquired taste. :)

IMG_3882-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom