What's new

Why India is hiding oil in caves

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI: During the Gulf War in 1990, India was hit with a crisis so severe that the country was left with oil reserves adequate for just 3 days. Oil prices shot up alarmingly as a fall out of the war and triggered an inflationary spiral across the world and India could not escape the heat.

As the government's coffers bled heavily in buying high-priced crude, India's forex reserves came down to $1.2 billion at the end of April 1991. To put this into perspective, in the week ended June 15, the country's foreign currency assets stood at $410.07 billion.

How foreign currency reserves are held globally

Even though the forex reserves are nowhere close to the dismal state it saw in 1991, volatility in global oil prices and its vagaries may be tracked as recently as to the spike in petrol and diesel prices a few weeks back that sent the government scampering for policy changes.

In its bid for long-term solution, India is looking towards caves that store oil. Called strategic petroleum reserves (SPRs), these caves are aimed at providing buffer from external price and supply shocks.

India already has three underground storage facilities, built at the cost of Rs 4,100 crore that can store 5.33 million tonnes (MMT) of crude oil. The one in Visakhapatnam is already filled with 1.33 MMT of oil, another in Mangalore is filled to a fourth of its 1.50 MMT capacity, and the third in Padur, Karnataka, is built but awaiting oil for storage.

The cabinet has now approved two more SPRs -- a 4.4 million tonnes SPR at Chandikhol in Odisha and a 2.5 million tonnes facility at Padur in Karnataka.

The oil in the three SPRs already built can help meet 10 days of crude requirement, and the two planned ones can hold supply of about 12 more days.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...-hiding-oil-in-caves/articleshow/64775340.cms

At present army has 10-20 days of ammo for war and they are investing $140 bn to inc upto 50 days of war i think. For oil India has 63 days it is sanctioned for 90 days while for pak its just 10-20 days. So i don't understand wasting so much money on ammunition unless we're expecting to use them in 10 yrs(ammo shelf life.)

Maangi thi ek dua jo pori hui

India me tail nikal aya

Congratulations India on this amazing discovery.

At present army has 10-20 days of ammo for war

That's not correct. The reserves you keep hearing about is the last line of reserves. This does not include all the ammo held by headquarters at all levels.

At present army has 10-20 days of ammo for war and they are investing $140 bn to inc upto 50 days of war i think. For oil India has 63 days it is sanctioned for 90 days while for pak its just 10-20 days. So i don't understand wasting so much money on ammunition unless we're expecting to use them in 10 yrs(ammo shelf life.)
It is not for military purpose ..These oil bunkers are for civilian use at time of emergency ..Don't forget India itself produces oil which are more than enough to sustain it military ..

That's not correct. The reserves you keep hearing about is the last line of reserves. This does not include all the ammo held by headquarters at all levels.
Ofcourse i was talking about war wastage reserves.

It is not for military purpose ..These oil bunkers are for civilian use at time of emergency ..Don't forget India itself produces oil which are more than enough to sustain it military ..
There are two type of emergencies one explained in the article, second one is war. Users are both military & civilians here and a war can be remained for months though for pak it will 10-15 days.

Back
Top Bottom