What's new

Why Does the Muslim World Lag in Science?

it would be wrong to say that religion holds them back

Would it be correct to say a particular understanding of relgiion is what holds them back??

Muslim scientific advancement in the so called middle ages is a testament to the fact that being a Muslim is not a drawback to scientific enquiry

fair enough - would you agree that understanding of religion and knowledge was different then from now? If yes, Would you agree that the flourishing of school of enquiry would not have been possible had the understanding of knowledge not been one that is evolutionary and indeterminate??

And would you then not have to agree, that the understanding of religion and religious knowledge was, in fact had to be, guided by the understanding of the nature of knowledge, that is to say evolutionary and indeterminate??

Now, if we can all agree to this, we must ask then, what has been different?? Do muslims still understand knowlwdge to be evolutionary and indeterminate? Do Muslims today understand that religious knowledge aswell is evolutionary and indeterminate?? I think we all know the answer to this -- today we have angry demands for certitude backed up by the threat of and most times the infliction of barbaric injustice in the name of religious certitude.

Do you see the connection between what we think is the nature of knowledge, all human knowledge -- and our ideas and behaviours??

Today, under threat, Muslims are coersed into a certitude, that is by defintion, not certitude. certitude rises of FAITH, and Faith rises from DOUBT!! And scientific enquiry seeks certitude of a sorts (till the theory is disproved or till the theory is confirmed by tests) and this too has it's roots in doubt.

Blaming Colonialism, or anything other than this flawed understanding or relgion and examining it critically, is to deflect attionand and a disservise to all faithful and all who seek a better understanding.

Sorry for not responding in such a long time, I was really busy.

Secularism, a way of conducting the affairs of society without reference to sacred texts and religions - that is to say, Ilmaniyat, in other words "knowledge" that does not necessarily seek a point of reference in religion.

Correct, but there is more to it:
"Secularism may assert the right to be free from religious rule and teachings, and freedom from the government imposition of religion upon the people, within a state that is neutral on matters of belief, and gives no state privileges or subsidies to religions. In another sense, it refers to a belief that human activities and decisions, especially political ones, should be based on evidence and fact unbiased by religious influence. In its most prominent form, secularism is critical of religious orthodoxy and asserts that religion impedes human progress because of its focus on superstition and dogma versus reason and scientific method."

This also means that there are few[if any?] 100% secular countries. But there are many 95% secularist countries in the west, few(if any?) in the middle east.

Now is it factual in the sense of "laws of physics" that religious Dogma must conflict with science??

No, it is not a natural law, but all three Abrahamic religions do that in a massive way, the more literal you interpret their holy texts the more they do.
So yes, a religion is imaginable that doesn't impede scientific progress, even accelerates it, but such a religion is theoretical at best. Since that religion would have to have skeptical inquiry and rational, empirical methodology as its core principles which means of course that this religion would not be a religion, but science.

I realize that in many circumstances it has and does and lets grant that "articles of faith" are just that, they are not ammenable to the kinds of enquiry, scientific propositions are open to - however; must or rather ought we then conclude that since religious propositions, by definition outside the scope of Science AKA knowledge that does not refer to religious propositions must be an impediment either way??

Well, that is a misconception, that I have come across many times. "Religions takes on where science leaves off". It is simply not true. Not only has Science many many times overturned religious propositions like that prayer has any effect etc. But see even the proposition:
"The universe was created by an omnipotent, omniscient, benevolent deity who cares about and is actively involved in human affairs.(which would be the basis of all theism) is basically a scientific hypothesis. It has a definite answer Yes or No. Now the fact, that we may never accumulate the evidence needed to proof or disproof that statement doesn't change that. To make such an extraordinary claim requires extraordinary evidence, which is not there but don't tell me that if be some form of time travel one would be able to verify Jesus resurrection or the Angel visiting Mohammed Rrigious people and institutions would say "meh that is science, it doesn't concern us". ;)

Science and religion has in many areas different answers to the same questions and overlap on many ends. So no religious propositions are not outside the scope of Sciene (I could elaborate further if you like).
However if religion for you simply means the belief in the existence of a deity, without all the massive social and political elements of Islam for example, so if you take only the spiritual bits of course it doesn't HAVE to be an impediment. Especially if you take aways the irrational idea of a personal God. BUT the causality here is not religion MUST impede scientific progress but religion DOES impede scientific progress wherever we can observe it.
Judaism seems to be an exception but is not since 95% of the Jews ignore almost all of their religious dogma and are only deists if not agnostics.

Science is inquisitive by nature.
I think Muslims are taught to not question many things. I mean almost all religions teach this. But Muslims are the best followers.
What do you say?

Agreed, and Islam is by far the strictest concerning interpretation and reform, since it states that the book was "dictated" by God directly to Mohammed(is that the correct English spelling?) and therefore every sentence is revelation and can not be omitted as a "true" believer.

I would disagree with that. It is true that at the moment, the Muslims seem woefully behind, in terms of knowledge appreciation, scientific research, economic endeavour.

But it would be wrong to say that religion holds them back. There are various issues that help one reach an understanding of it, historical, colonial, cultural, environmental, aspirational, etc.

Muslim scientific advancement in the so called middle ages is a testament to the fact that being a Muslim is not a drawback to scientific enquiry. The destruction of the muslim centers of learning such as Cordoba, Seville, Granada, Baghdad, Rayy, Bukhara, and Qairo by the crusaders and mongols was a blow from which the muslim world has not yet recovered. It was a hard fall.

The Quraan in fact enourages questioning and enquiry, and orders us to ponder and study the machinations of oour surroundings, and contemplate on their nature.

The scientific advancement of the Muslim world in the middle ages is largely misconstrued, see my first post in this topic for that. And the progress that was made, happened in spite of the restrictive religious dogma, the research was done by heretics or non-Muslims mostly.

Could you give me the quote where the Quraan does that? Not something vague, but just that. It may encourage limited inquiry, but thats just the point. It tells you not to interfere in your thinking and inquiry with its "domain" which encompasses many topics and fields..

And more important keep in mind that a religion is defined by the practice of its followers, so do you really believe Islam is not a impediment to progress, not only scientific but in many areas?

Oh and that there might be other reasons that Muslim countries lag behind is very likely I agree, but be honest, religion has nothing to do with it, nothing at all?

Truth Seeker I will reply to after a response to this post.

Last edited:
Hello unbeliever:

So yes, a religion is imaginable that doesn't impede scientific progress, even accelerates it, but such a religion is theoretical at best. Since that religion would have to have skeptical inquiry and rational, empirical methodology as its core principles which means of course that this religion would not be a religion, but science

Hmmm! Well, you will recall that communism's strongest defense was that it was "scientific" -- and of course you will also recall that communism as state ideology was characterized as religion. And a secular religion at that - Hmmm?

You may wish to explore the demarcation between science and non science or nonsense - Epistemology (ies)

the philosophy of science is not as cut and dry as you may imagine. By the way you may also wish to examine "Structure of scientific Revolutions" and it may allow you to add greater depth to our position.

The point I was hoping to make was that these two have very different frameworks -- one based on empiral evidence and results confirmed by testing, the other "FAITH" - which by defintion, can exist only in the absence of confirming circumstances -- isn't that so??

And since "Science" (s) start with an epistemology(ies), that is to say a method of justifying what we think we know, it by defintion, acknowledges that which we do not know -- isn't that so??

And "Faith" then can be seen to not be situated in the "CERTITUDE" that some seek in science -- the two are parellel, it seems to me. And therefore the suggestion that these conflict would seem to suggest that we are negating the fact that they are parellel, isn't that so??

Science and religion has in many areas different answers to the same questions and overlap on many ends. So no religious propositions are not outside the scope of Sciene (I could elaborate further if you like)

I am not so sure I'm on board with the assertion that science and religion are asking the same questions -- Science may well border on the metaphyiscal, but cannot lay claim to that realm, without jeopardizing the epistemoplgy and method it has laid for itself -- proof of metaphysical propositions, seems to me, to be less than scientific, isn't that so?

that is a misconception, that I have come across many times. "Religions takes on where science leaves off". It is simply not true. Not only has Science many many times overturned religious propositions like that prayer has any effect etc

See above, employing methodology of science seeking proof of confirming instances of articles of FAITH - seems to me to be a akin to planting wheat and examing the harvest for proofs that it is in fact corn. It's poorly concieved use of a tool to solve a problem that tool has not been designed for.

Some emipiricist allow themselves the impertinence to utter "prove God" not realizing that the appropriate response "Disprove God" will bring a uneasy silence to their demand.

We may be circumspect and review, reevaluate. Or not. It's not a proposition that can offer any certyitude other than one we choose to find. The universe is possiblity - there are no pink elephants, remains opens to challenge by a single instance in infinity - I find it sobering.

off the top of my head these would be my reasons

money/poverty

non separation of religion and state

incompetent governance

quality of education, especially among females

the ratio of books being translated to arabic compared to english

internal and foreign influences

will

However if religion for you simply means the belief in the existence of a deity, without all the massive social and political elements of Islam for example, so if you take only the spiritual bits of course it doesn't HAVE to be an impediment.

Truth Seeker I will reply to after a response to this post.

Unbeliever, I suppose I fall, somewhat, into the category of believers you postulate above. However, I am still not clear about what aspect of "New Testament" Christianity, i.e the specific teachings of Jesus as reported in the New Testament of the Christian Bible, constitute "massive social and political elements" that impede the free pursuit of science. Are you saying that ethical considerations, such as not experimenting on human subjects, if informed by one's religious beliefs, are examples of the impediments to science caused by religion?

The Muslim World lags in Science? I hadn't noticed. I rarely associate Muslims with modern science at all.

muslims were great scientists when they followed quran but today muslims they leave quran and result is infront of us...bcoz quran emphasis on education and to explore the world...

Lemme start with this. Most of these are directly linked to Wiki. I am unable to attach the url.

...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown by barbarians invading from without and multiplying from within. ”

Will Durant

It is an interesting topic. And the answers I read in this forum did not talk about what happened from 1200 to until now.

Those of you who know about the history during that time, India (or Hindustan) at that time was the center of knowledge. They had two wonderful universities, Taxila and Nalanda, along with many 'gurukul' or small schools. People/students from other civilizations/countries used to come to these universities to get education, even from present day Iran, Turkey, Arab Peninsula, China, South Eastern countries. They propagated Math, Science, Medicine, etc. Of course, there were scholars born in Middle East and propagated science. But ultimately, many of these had some connect with Indian Subcontinent.

Of course, the entire number system originated from India.

Trigonometry - Trigonometry spans thousands of years and has touched every major civilization. It first originated in India and the basic concepts of angle and measurements was noted in Vedic texts such as Srimad Bhagavatam. However, Trigonometry in its present form was established in Surya-siddhanta and later by Aryabhata [5th century CE]. Instead, the Indian civilization and after them the Greeks and the Muslims used trigonometric lines.

Aithmetics - basic arithmetical operations were highly complicated affairs; it was the method known as the "Method of the Indians" (Latin Modus Indorum) that became the arithmetic that we know today.

History says (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nalanda) Nalanda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... the Nalanda University library was located in a nine storied building where meticulous copies of texts were produced. The subjects taught at Nalanda University covered every field of learning, and it attracted pupils and scholars from Korea, Japan, China, Tibet, Indonesia, Persia and Turkey.

Anyway, coming to the point, both the universities in Taxila and Nalanda were destroyed by the invaders from the west of India - present day Iran, Turkey, Central Asian Countries. In 1193, the Nalanda University was sacked by Bakhtiyar Khalji, a Turk Muslim king when he did not find a copy of Quran in the university library. And the university burnt for more than 6 months! (reported by a Chinese philosopher ).

Wiki also says: The Persian historian Minhaz, in his chronicle the Tabaquat-I-Nasiri, reported that thousands of monks were burned alive and thousands beheaded as Khilji tried his best to uproot Buddhism and plant Islam by the sword, and the burning of the library contin*ued for several months and "smoke from the burning manuscripts hung for days like a dark pall over the low hills.".

This happened in the year 1193. And from then onwards, one can see the decline of higher education in India and Middle East (means in Islamic Countries), even in China. That is also the beginning of science and higher education among the European Countries (for example University of oxford started in around 1150). At the same time, Islamic Education centers became the centers for Quranic and Islamic centers, diluting the importance to science and math.

Otherwise, I do not see any reason for the decline of higher education in Islamic Countries.

Another link in Wiki
(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Universities_of_India) Ancient universities of India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Several sites on the Indian subcontinent were centers of learning in ancient times. Many were Buddhist monasteries.

* Nālandā, about 55 miles south east of present-day Patna in Bihar (circa 450[1] – 1193 CE)
* Odantapuri, in Bihar (circa 550 - 1040 CE)
* Somapura, now in Bangladesh (from the Gupta period to the Muslim conquest)
* Jagaddala, in Bengal (from the Pala period to the Muslim conquest)
* Nagarjunakonda, in Andhra Pradesh
* Vikramaśīla, in Bihar (circa 800 - 1040 CE)
* Taxila (7th century BCE - 460 CE) in Modern day Pakistan
* Sharada Peeth, in modern day Pakistan Administered Kashmir
* Valabhi, in Gujarat (from the Maitrak period to the Arab raids)
* Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh (8th century to modern times)
* Kanchipuram, in Tamil Nadu
* Manyakheta, in Karnataka
* Puspagiri, in Orissa
* Ratnagiri, in Orissa

Another interesting institute - Kerala school of astronomy and mathematics

People from Islamic Countries must acknowledge that some of their ancestors brought destruction to their own culture all in the name of religion.

It's sad that such a delightful topic has to be sullied by some Indian's take on history - presumably the Indian will argue wars by non-Muslims ushered in ages of great learning - just sad that such an interesting topic should fall victim to these johnny come lately types and their jinoistic and motivated version of history - and ofcourse Wikipedia as source:crazy::wave:

Science itself is a religion please don't compare it.

I believe it has nothing to do with religion. It would be wrong to compare Muslims or Any other religion as a Whole.

It has more to do with geography, history and ancestry.

ata turk the jew banned all arabic literature , stopped the azaan being pronounced, took every step to eradicate islaam and its contributions

Science itself is a religion please don't compare it.

I believe it has nothing to do with religion. It would be wrong to compare Muslims or Any other religion as a Whole.

It has more to do with geography, history and ancestry.

it was only due to the teachings of the quraan that the muslims became to torchbearers of civilisation and scientific discoveries, the quraan mentions many scientific facts only discovered in the last century using the most advanced technology and equipment,

While they may have their respective roles in human societies, science and religion are essentially and fundamentally antithetical. The nature of science is to validate through rational examination. The nature of religion is to validate through faith.

Religion can be used to authenticate science or deny it. Every organized religions has some tenet, saying or belief that 'encourages' science, that purports to represent scientific thought.

Every religion also has enough in the way to deny science and all that it encompasses - rational thought, liberty of expression, freedom to women, sexual liberty, etc.

Religious elites in societies can choose to encourage science or not. I think that some Muslim societies are going through a phase where the religious elites consider science - or all that accompanies science - as essentially hostile to religion. And where their current view dominates, science stagnates.

However, religion is not the only reason that science stagnates. Poverty, history, lack of political stability, poor education etc are all factors.

To add to the above, it's just not religion that can mitigate against science.

Go by the principle that science stands on the tenets of rationality, logic, equality, and exploration.

Now apply these tenets to religion, tradition, feudalism, parochialism and conservatism.

Each of these tenets - rationality, logic, equality, exploration - is also opposed in some way or another to religion, tradition, feudalism, parochialism and conservatism.

It is in the interest of religion, tradition, feudalism, parochialism and conservatism to discourage science.

Where these prevail, science fails.

I am a protestant Christian and do not really understand the affect of other religious beliefs on pursuing science. I have a PhD in solid state physics and have been doing applied research and development of electronic device products for about 40 years. I do not find my Christian beliefs any impediment to my work. Perhaps this is because I pay no attention to the Old Testament (Jewish) portion of the our Bible. The teachings and belief system promulgated by the New Testament, i.e. the message of Jesus and His disciples is, as far as I can tell, fully compatible with pursuing unlimited understanding of the natural world. The only real issue is, is there a "God" or not? This question is "outside" the ability of science to answer since, if there is a God, He will have arranged all of the mechanisms in the "natural" world that are discovered and can easily either reveal Himself or not as he pleases. If God doesn't exist then scientists can not prove that either since the initial origin of everything we can now discover in the natural world can never be known, only postulated. We are too late to actually observe the "creation".

Well the current state of physics it is more complicated. If you take the big bang theory to be true, then the rules of physics would imply that whatever happened before the big bang could not affect what happened after it. So a creator could not actively interfere with the laws of the world without breaking the physical laws as it appears to us. And it appears that the creator did set up the world with a few simple laws of physics.
So if creator interferes with current day world, there will be miracles (Miracle meaning things that are not "natural"). That makes reconciling physics and the idea of a person who actively answers prayers very difficult.

Anyway here are my list of incompatibilities with religion vs. science
1) The creation myths taken literally are opposite to physics. So a truly religious person has a barrier to being a good physicists.
2) The idea of Adam and Eve are against evolution. Problem for biologists.
3) The idea of women not being equal to men takes people out of the workforce.
4) The bans on large sections of finance (interests, bonds etc.) put a severe dampener on many kinds of transactions. A good financial base is required to build good science.

These problems apply to most religions. It just happens that Islam is the one that is most concerned about literal interpretation of the religion. Christians have had their dark periods but now they have freedom to ignore sections (like Truthseeker did to the old testament). Hindus have a bunch of text in a language (Sanskrit) that most people don't understand and whose contents are not always internally compatible - so they happily ignore the texts. Many of the hindu texts themselves are pretty dark and would kill science if ever put into day-to-day practice.

Back
Top Bottom