What's new

Why didn't Bangladesh adopt the Arabic writing system ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were five original writing systems.

All current writing systems except Chinese were developed from ancient Egyptian/Sumerian writing systems.

Egyptian/Sumerian were Arabs, I guess. So, we probably can say Bangladesh did adopt the Arabic writing system, although not from modern Arabic writing system.

All current writing systems except Chinese were developed from ancient Egyptian/Sumerian writing systems.

Egyptian/Sumerian were Arabs, I guess. So, we probably can say Bangladesh did adopt the Arabic writing system, although not from modern Arabic writing system.

Biggest Codswallop i have seen on pdf in a long time . Please elaborate .

Biggest Codswallop i have seen on pdf in a long time . Please elaborate .

Can't you just google? Copied from internet:

Only five independent writing systems have been produced in the entire human history. Sumerian, Egyptian, Harappan, Mayan, and Chinese. Among them only Chinese has survived into modern age. All others have long since ceased to be functional. From Egyptian and Sumarian, the proto-Canaanite was developed in 1750 BC and became precursor of all the alphabetic languages.

The Brahmi script is not descended from Egyptian/Sumerian. Neither is the Sangam (Tamil script), though it may have certain links to Brahmi, the modern script is different and still in use. Please get your facts right.

1. We know arabic written system for Religious purpose (Being Muslim) which does not require to be national written system and language.
2. Persian and other arab countries are culturally close to each other.
3. We have many farsi words in our language too and we even do not know it, give you one example:
we use 'table' word in our language which is english word and most of the bangladeshis do not know its bangla word (including uneducated and non-english speaker) :P

you welcome, but do not discuss it here, the thread may get ruined :P

To think of it even we don't have word for "table" in pure Hindi. It is called "maze" but I think it is of Persian origin.

Can't you just google? Copied from internet:

Only five independent writing systems have been produced in the entire human history. Sumerian, Egyptian, Harappan, Mayan, and Chinese. Among them only Chinese has survived into modern age. All others have long since ceased to be functional. From Egyptian and Sumarian, the proto-Canaanite was developed in 1750 BC and became precursor of all the alphabetic languages.

Not really. The Brahmi script is still used. So is the Tamil script. Please do not talk about languages you do not know about.

The Brahmi script is not descended from Egyptian/Sumerian. Neither is the Sangam (Tamil script). Please get your facts right.

It is not my facts. Tell this to those linguists, those western scholars.

I know almost nothing about your language, I am not even sure whether your language is alphabetic language. But when you say Brahmi script or whatever is independently developed, you need to show its history.

For example Chinese, we have the entire history of its development, from oracle bone scripts - its most original form to modern simplified Chinese.

It is not my facts. Tell this to those linguists, those western scholars.

I know almost nothing about your language, I am not even sure whether your language is alphabetic language. But when you say Brahmi script or whatever is independently developed, you need to show its history.

For example Chinese, we have the entire history of its development, from oracle bone scripts - its most original form to modern simplified Chinese.

Same applies my friend, to the languages I have mentioned. Scholars used to argue its linked to the Semitic languages.But modern researchers believe it as a descendant of the Indus script or an indigenous link. The Indus script is what you call the Harappan script. What I clarified is

1. Its not descended from Egyptian/Sumerian
2. The script is still in use in India.

Hope this clarifies things? And yes the languages are alphabetic. If you wish to learn more, please do start a separate thread. Will gladly provide more information :)

And moreover what is arabic Writtiing system????
Persian language is as old as arabic, Iranian write that language, Urdu is mix of Hindi and Farsi, That is also non arabic..

I rephrase the Question "Why didn't Indian Muslims adopted arabic language??"

Don't be silly,
Urdu is a mixture of Arabic and Persian, with influence of local subcontinent languages.

Hindi is a mixture of local subcontinent languages and Persian / Arabic influence.

You should read up on so many words you use in "Hindi" and find out they are actually Arabic or Farsi words.

As for you last question, the answer is that the Muslims brought with them not Arabic but Persian mainly.
And the muslims of subcontinent did adapt as much as Arabic + Persian as possible, the result is called Urdu.
The effect of the above culture gave birth of the language you call Hindi.

Same applies my friend, to the languages I have mentioned. Scholars used to argue its linked to the Semitic languages.But modern researchers believe it as a descendant of the Indus script or an indigenous link. The Indus script is what you call the Harappan script. What I clarified is

1. Its not descended from Egyptian/Sumerian
2. The script is still in use in India.

Hope this clarifies things? And yes the languages are alphabetic. If you wish to learn more, please do start a separate thread. Will gladly provide more information :)

Just did some google search, it seems that Brahmi appeared suddenly for first time in the mid-4th century BCE. Indus Valley Civilization (Harappan script) ended in 1900 BCE. There was no writing record in the 1500 year gap. This is the reason why those scholars believe Brahmi was developed based on other writing systems.

But I can accept what you said, it is possible, the history may be just lost. Western scholars tend to discredit other achievements.

More whining by Indians based on their myopic knowledge of Islam. Before coming to PDF I never knew Indians have a thing for language and think Muslims=Arab.

Why should it be necessary for BD to adopt arabic writing system? I guess their typical answer would because we are muslims. Islam doesn't put bar on any language. I don't know why non-muslims can't grasp this simple fact. Allah (swt) gave diff. languages to diff. ethnicities. Quran was revealed in Arabic to Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) who was sent as Allah(swt)'s messenger to the whole of mankind. Quran is for the whole of mankind and as such we muslims need to learn arabic for Everyday praying rituals. That's the bare minimum and every muslim know some dozen Suras( chapters of the Quran) by heart and its not difficult at all. Even Millions of Muslims around the world know the whole Quran by heart they are called hafiz ul Quran. Our bengali language also got enriched with words from Persian and Arabic.

Arabic is a very diverse language and unique unlike any other language in this world. There are many words in the Arabic that can not be simply translated word to word in other language:

WHY WAS QURAN REVEALED IN ARABIC? ANSWERED BY DR. ZAKIR NAIK - YouTube

Bangalis only converted less than 300 years ago, vs 800 years ago in pakistan.
Simply put, but the time Bengalis had converted they had already developed their writing system.
This is nothing wrong with keeping their system.

Urdu for example, was developed by the Muslims so it made sense to use Arabic script.

Bro who told U that?:undecided: We were blessed with Islam 800 years ago when the turkish
general Bakhtiyar Khilji stormed into Bengal in around 1200 AD . It took some time to liberate whole of Bengal but the whole population accepted Islam way before what U have stated.

Bengali is the sweetest language to hear and speak, poetry, literary works, in bengali are unparalleled .

Arabic on the other hands may have ll it's richness, but arabs speaking arabic sound always pissed off..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom