What's new

Why China needs to listen to Lee Kuan Yew

Mao got bigger credit, since he laid down the foundation.

Without his nukes and rocket science as the legacy, Deng would have nothing to implement the reform, and the West could still easily dominate over us.

Didn't you Indians usually love to brag how China got humiliated in 1979?

1. It was not Mao's nuclear or rocket science. Mao was an illiterate who was rejected entry in Peking University thrice. Those accomplishments would have come without Mao, because the scientists that worked were the foreign Chinese Diaspora who came back to build China. Rather I would venture to say that had there been a more amicable result of the civil war, with a peaceful settlement, where Mao was more accomodating to the intellectuals and aristrocrats, more Chinese educated diaspora would have returned.

2. I am not a normal Indian

And anyone who dares to criticize LKY must first see his conditions of those times. Here was a man, who was an overseas Chinese malaysian who entered politics.

He wanted to build a modern state, after being thrown out of the union by Malay. He was abhorred by the Communists. Yes, he was abhorred by them. They were asking for the overthrow of all South Eastern Countries at that time, which were all monarchies or similar. He was surrounded by Malaysia, Indonesia and US/UK forces, and could have not in any way got help from China at that time. Not to say China or PRC at that time, would have wanted to establish a communist system there, which he intellectually knew would fail.

Also, asking for Communist help at that time would have invited an Indonesian invasion.

These were the situations in which he created the modern state of Singapore, literally from nothing!

on Singapore:
From Third World to First: The Singapore Story
From-Third-World-to-First-The-Singapore-Story-1965-2000-Hardcover-L9780060197766.JPG

on China and the world:
One Man's View of the World
One%20man's%20view%20Jacket%20front.jpg
Thanks mate, I will remember to buy them, especially the first book.

LKY has taught a lot to China.

In XI Jinping's words

"Lee is “our senior who has our respect”: “To this day, you are still working tirelessly to advance our bilateral relationship, and you have my full admiration. We will never forget the important contribution you have made to our bilateral relationship.”"

About Lee Kuan Yew | Lee Kuan Yew: The Grand Master's Insights on China, the United States, and the World
As a Chinese, I understand the real meaning of this sentence..

How is he exactly a "puppet"?

And how do you define a puppet?
The significance of existence of Singapore, do you understand?

How is he exactly a "puppet"?

And how do you define a puppet?
Enough is enough, don't say joke again .If foreigners want to control the Chinese,War is the answer.

on Singapore:
From Third World to First: The Singapore Story
From-Third-World-to-First-The-Singapore-Story-1965-2000-Hardcover-L9780060197766.JPG

on China and the world:
One Man's View of the World
One%20man's%20view%20Jacket%20front.jpg

0010644117.jpg
LKY is running a city of 5 million people. Singaporeans have a high standard of living because it is a westerners playground. Singaporeans know white people are rated as first class citizen than follow by the other ethnic group. White people earn more than non white Singaporeans at the same job and it's not a secret.
if u want to be second class citizen in your own country for higher living standard than sgp model is right for you.
But us Chinese like to carve our own destiny and be our own master.

Lky deserve respect from us. We learned a lot from Singapore. Even Deng Xiaoping respect him.
As a country like Singapore, wants to survive have to deal with two giant Us and China smartly, and we should understand it has its own national interest which may not let China happy.

1. It was not Mao's nuclear or rocket science. Mao was an illiterate who was rejected entry in Peking University thrice. Those accomplishments would have come without Mao, because the scientists that worked were the foreign Chinese Diaspora who came back to build China. Rather I would venture to say that had there been a more amicable result of the civil war, with a peaceful settlement, where Mao was more accomodating to the intellectuals and aristrocrats, more Chinese educated diaspora would have returned.

Did you know that in the video that you posted, Lee actually gave Mao some credit for building the foundation to enable Deng reform to take off.

Your title is also misleading. It gives the impression that Lee is advising China which he did not..

Last edited:
LKY has taught a lot to China.

In XI Jinping's words

"Lee is “our senior who has our respect”: “To this day, you are still working tirelessly to advance our bilateral relationship, and you have my full admiration. We will never forget the important contribution you have made to our bilateral relationship.”"

About Lee Kuan Yew | Lee Kuan Yew: The Grand Master's Insights on China, the United States, and the World
@Bussard Ramjet
again, i appreciate your passion that you wanna share resources with us.
but:
1. Lee Kuan Yew (his works) is already quite popular among the Greater China analysts, so i don't know what the 'need to listen to' in your title means.
2. there are indeed many good sinologists out there, Lee is one of them, but that doesn't mean the we should follow their words & advice blindly. one interesting characteristic of the Chinese leadership is that they listen to all yet still make their independent decisions (work out quite good).
3. speaking of insightful outsiders, Kissinger is nice too, i think there is one other retired German premier (sorry can't remember his name correctly... Shimid?). they both are seniors (and Jewish?...humm...) who have deep understanding of Chinese history & culture for which i respect them.

@Bussard Ramjet
again, i appreciate your passion that you wanna share resources with us.
but:
1. Lee Kuan Yew (his works) is already quite popular among the Greater China analysts, so i don't know what the 'need to listen to' in your title means.
2. there are indeed many good sinologists out there, Lee is one of them, but that doesn't mean the we should follow their words & advice blindly. one interesting characteristic of the Chinese leadership is that they listen to all yet still make their independent decisions (work out quite good).
3. speaking of insightful outsiders, Kissinger is nice too, i think there is one other retired German premier (sorry can't remember his name correctly... Shimid?). they both are seniors (and Jewish?...humm...) who have deep understanding of Chinese history & culture for which i respect them.

Thanks for the recommendations of the book, very useful!

I have learned some history on Singapore and Lee, I hold high regards on Lee as well, the hard facts, the results are self-explanatory. Back in 1967 the gravity of the situation was immense, messy economics, Malay/Indonesian hostility, ethnic tension, communist threat, practically no resources, and now everyone see where it stands.

Lee always chose what's best for his country, and in between PRC and ROC the two Chinese camps, he chose the latter. That's surely was not a favorable option from PRC's point of view, hence the negative emotions grow here. However, if anyone including you and me or whoever was put is his shoe at that time, that's would be the only sensible option for the sake of the country. ROC helped financially and militarily, Mao rather let them die and see another Kim Il Song. Sad but true.

Beginning from Deng, PRC leaders drastically reverse the global geopolitical plan and took a pragmatic, non-ideological approach towards Singapore. PRC leaders are humble enough to learn the experience, take advices, from this successful country comprised of same ethnicity. Waves of government officials were sent to Singapore for study and training beginning from Deng's era. Other than being an ethnic Chinese country, PRC is also interested to know one thing, how Singapore can be so properly governed without over-reliance on Western style democracy? Like China, though on a lesser extent, Singapore is repeatedly bashed by the West for being "un-democratic". Other than ethnicity, actually there are a lot more in common between the two than some PRC people might think.

Untitled4.jpg

List of freedom indices - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
We actually send ALOT of our people to Singapore to learn about its bureaucracy & management style, & has adopted many things into our own policy, amongst other things a few prominent projects came to mind, such as the SG-Suzhou Industrial Park & the SG-Tianjin Eco City, a thrid project will commence in the western region soon. In short, Singapore served a microcosm of possibilities intensively studied under CCP's microscope. Regarding Singapore's China/USA policy, it's a complex matter, given their location in SEA...

Back
Top Bottom