What's new

Why China needs to listen to Lee Kuan Yew

Lee is a western puppet nothing more.

Like i said before, don't be too quick to judge.
He is chinese (i am not talking about nationality), he build his country from nothing, he able to balance the power between east and west, he is respected by Chinese leaders.

He (and the people) sacrificed a lot of thing to achieve what the have today.

He is better than a lot of corrupted officers and businessmen from China who migrated to western nations.

Like i said before, don't be too quick to judge.
He is chinese (i am not talking about nationality), he build his country from nothing, he able to balance the power between east and west, he is respected by Chinese leaders.

He (and the people) sacrificed a lot of thing to achieve what the have today.

He is better than a lot of corrupted officers and businessmen from China who migrated to western nations.

lol, biggest joke of the century.

In thinking about the rise of China, the stumbling of the United States, the potential of India, or the claim that the twenty-first century will belong to Asia, whom should we look to for insight about this uncertain future? Among the seven billion inhabitants of planet Earth today, only one has created a modern Asian city-state whose nearly six million inhabitants now enjoy higher levels of income than Americans. Only one individual has been called “mentor” by Deng Xiaoping, the Chinese leader who initiated China's march to the market, and its new leader Xi Jinping. Only one individual has been called upon for counsel about these developments by every U.S. president from Richard Nixon to Barack Obama. That individual is Lee Kuan Yew, the founding father of Singapore.

Lee Kuan Yew, Grand Master of Asia | The National Interest

In thinking about the rise of China, the stumbling of the United States, the potential of India, or the claim that the twenty-first century will belong to Asia, whom should we look to for insight about this uncertain future? Among the seven billion inhabitants of planet Earth today, only one has created a modern Asian city-state whose nearly six million inhabitants now enjoy higher levels of income than Americans. Only one individual has been called “mentor” by Deng Xiaoping, the Chinese leader who initiated China's march to the market, and its new leader Xi Jinping. Only one individual has been called upon for counsel about these developments by every U.S. president from Richard Nixon to Barack Obama. That individual is Lee Kuan Yew, the founding father of Singapore.

Xi Jinping is more of a Neo-Maoist than a Dengist.

Mao Promoted Perpetual Struggle; Deng Saved China From Chaos - Forbes

Mao Promoted Perpetual Struggle; Deng Saved China From Chaos

On Oct. 1, 1949, at the Gate of Heavenly Peace in Beijing, Mao Zedong, leader of the Communist Revolution, declared the founding of the modern People’s Republic of China. Mao was an idealist who strove for constant class struggle as a way to keep the Chinese from becoming bourgeois. At the height of the Cultural Revolution, in 1967-69, schools and universities were closed, and children were encouraged to hit and rebel against their parents. Mao was, of course, a famous leader and liberator, but he was less practical when it came to governing the country.

More practical was Deng Xiao-ping, who quietly took control after Mao’s death, calmed the country and concentrated on its economic development. Were it not for him, China might well have broken apart.

In November 1978 Deng made his first and only visit to Singapore. What he saw on that visit changed the course of economic policy in the coastal provinces of China. At dinner he congratulated me on Singapore’s accomplishments. I told him that with its wealth of talent China could surpass Singapore.

During his visit Deng warned us of the Russian bear using Vietnam as its cat’s paw to control Southeast Asia. I told him that the Soviet Union was far away but reminded him that all the exhortations for the overthrow of local governments in Southeast Asia were coming from broadcasting stations in China and that the arms finding their way to the insurgents were being provided by China. I expected an angry and vehement denial, but he unexpectedly asked, “What do you want me to do?” I replied, “Stop it!” He responded, “Give me time.” A year later the broadcasts stopped. Deng may have been short of stature, but he was a giant of a leader.

Inspired, Deng returned home to form four special economic zones, which he opened to foreign investment and world trade. These zones prospered, and more subsequently opened. (This trend culminated in China’s joining the WTO in 2001.)

In 1992, 14 years after his visit to Singapore, Deng went to Guangdong and told the people, “Learn from the world, especially from Singapore. There is good social order there. They govern with discipline. We should draw from their experience–and we will do even better than they.” Those comments resulted in hundreds of delegations from all over China descending on Singapore, with their cameras, camcorders and notebooks out, ready to study the ins and outs of our economic development.

We, however, felt the best way for China to learn our methods was through the practical experience of a joint project, building an industrial park for business, commercial, residential, leisure and industrial purposes. The Suzhou Industrial Park project began in 1994. We invited a few hundred Chinese officials to come study our methods; then we sent them back with some of our experts, who helped with the implementation and made sure the Chinese got things right. Suzhou, with its golf courses and greenery situated around a lake, became a model of how to industrialize while keeping an industrial park green and clean.

Students now come from China to Singapore every year to take what is known as the “Mayors’ Class” at the Nanyang Centre for Public Administration. Students are upper-level officials in the central and local governments or in state-owned enterprises and are chosen by the Communist Party. The one-year course is conducted entirely in Chinese. Many problems that Singapore has tackled successfully– transportation, the environment, health care and waste disposal–are still common in China because of its rapid economic development. Former cabinet ministers who have played a role in Singapore’s development share their expertise with the students. In 2010 another school, the National University of Singapore’s Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, also began accepting senior Chinese officials as students.

When Deng said to his people, “We will do even better than they,” I knew he had not forgotten what I had said at dinner during his visit. Deng believed China was equal to the challenge–and within 20 years China proved him right.

Mao Promoted Perpetual Struggle; Deng Saved China From Chaos - Forbes

Mao Promoted Perpetual Struggle; Deng Saved China From Chaos

On Oct. 1, 1949, at the Gate of Heavenly Peace in Beijing, Mao Zedong, leader of the Communist Revolution, declared the founding of the modern People’s Republic of China. Mao was an idealist who strove for constant class struggle as a way to keep the Chinese from becoming bourgeois. At the height of the Cultural Revolution, in 1967-69, schools and universities were closed, and children were encouraged to hit and rebel against their parents. Mao was, of course, a famous leader and liberator, but he was less practical when it came to governing the country.

More practical was Deng Xiao-ping, who quietly took control after Mao’s death, calmed the country and concentrated on its economic development. Were it not for him, China might well have broken apart.

In November 1978 Deng made his first and only visit to Singapore. What he saw on that visit changed the course of economic policy in the coastal provinces of China. At dinner he congratulated me on Singapore’s accomplishments. I told him that with its wealth of talent China could surpass Singapore.

During his visit Deng warned us of the Russian bear using Vietnam as its cat’s paw to control Southeast Asia. I told him that the Soviet Union was far away but reminded him that all the exhortations for the overthrow of local governments in Southeast Asia were coming from broadcasting stations in China and that the arms finding their way to the insurgents were being provided by China. I expected an angry and vehement denial, but he unexpectedly asked, “What do you want me to do?” I replied, “Stop it!” He responded, “Give me time.” A year later the broadcasts stopped. Deng may have been short of stature, but he was a giant of a leader.

Inspired, Deng returned home to form four special economic zones, which he opened to foreign investment and world trade. These zones prospered, and more subsequently opened. (This trend culminated in China’s joining the WTO in 2001.)

In 1992, 14 years after his visit to Singapore, Deng went to Guangdong and told the people, “Learn from the world, especially from Singapore. There is good social order there. They govern with discipline. We should draw from their experience–and we will do even better than they.” Those comments resulted in hundreds of delegations from all over China descending on Singapore, with their cameras, camcorders and notebooks out, ready to study the ins and outs of our economic development.

We, however, felt the best way for China to learn our methods was through the practical experience of a joint project, building an industrial park for business, commercial, residential, leisure and industrial purposes. The Suzhou Industrial Park project began in 1994. We invited a few hundred Chinese officials to come study our methods; then we sent them back with some of our experts, who helped with the implementation and made sure the Chinese got things right. Suzhou, with its golf courses and greenery situated around a lake, became a model of how to industrialize while keeping an industrial park green and clean.

Students now come from China to Singapore every year to take what is known as the “Mayors’ Class” at the Nanyang Centre for Public Administration. Students are upper-level officials in the central and local governments or in state-owned enterprises and are chosen by the Communist Party. The one-year course is conducted entirely in Chinese. Many problems that Singapore has tackled successfully– transportation, the environment, health care and waste disposal–are still common in China because of its rapid economic development. Former cabinet ministers who have played a role in Singapore’s development share their expertise with the students. In 2010 another school, the National University of Singapore’s Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, also began accepting senior Chinese officials as students.

When Deng said to his people, “We will do even better than they,” I knew he had not forgotten what I had said at dinner during his visit. Deng believed China was equal to the challenge–and within 20 years China proved him right.

Mao was right, and Deng had copied a lot of idea from Mao.

Even Mao and Zhou were the originators for the economic reform.

Xi Jinping is more of a Neo-Maoist than a Dengist.

Yes, and that's why I fear for China.
The only thing Mao did was bring destruction to China. It was deng that made China what it is today. His vision and philosophy.

Mao was a mad ideologist, a communist who couldn't care less for China infront of his big ego. He brought China to ruins both in Great Leap Forward and Cultural Revolution.

Deng was the Nationalist. For him country was first, before any ideology.

I just fear that China may regress under Maoist policies again.

The only thing Mao did was bring destruction to China. It was deng that made China what it is today. His vision and philosophy.

Mao was a mad ideologist, a communist who couldn't care less for China infront of his big ego. He brought China to ruins both in Great Leap Forward and Cultural Revolution.

Xi has learned Mao's mistake, but the Neo-Maoism is now stronger than ever.

Mao was right, and Deng had copied a lot of idea from Mao.

Even Mao and Zhou were the originators for the economic reform.

You have got to be sick in your head to think anything about Mao.

I am not talking about Zhou, who was a skilled diplomat.

But this is the very Mao, who brought China to its knees. Who was ready to completely destroy all the culture of China in his lunatic rage and ego.

You have got to be sick in your head to think anything about Mao.

I am not talking about Zhou, who was a skilled diplomat.

But this is the very Mao, who brought China to its knees. Who was ready to completely destroy all the culture of China in his lunatic rage and ego.

LMAO, only our enemies were feared of Mao.

Remember 1962 baby!

And once more, What idea has Deng copied from Mao?

Are you actually giving more credit to Mao than Deng, for the strength of the Chinese Nation?

LMAO, only our enemies were feared of Mao.

Remember 1962 baby!

And why not remember 1979 when Deng used his authority to quickly mitigate the threat of Soviet Encirclement?

Anyone recommend an article or a book about how LKW transformed Singapore?

And once more, What idea has Deng copied from Mao?

Are you actually giving more credit to Mao than Deng, for the strength of the Chinese Nation?

Mao got bigger credit, since he laid down the foundation.

Without his nukes and rocket science as the legacy, Deng would have nothing to implement the reform, and the West could still easily dominate over us.

And why not remember 1979 when Deng used his authority to quickly mitigate the threat of Soviet Encirclement?

Didn't you Indians usually love to brag how China got humiliated in 1979?

Thanks for bringing up the article showing how India is a bunch of countries stitch together by the British rail line.

Anyone recommend an article or a book about how LKW transformed Singapore?
on Singapore:
From Third World to First: The Singapore Story
From-Third-World-to-First-The-Singapore-Story-1965-2000-Hardcover-L9780060197766.JPG

on China and the world:
One Man's View of the World
One%20man's%20view%20Jacket%20front.jpg

0010644117.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom