What's new

WHY BRITAIN'S TEMPEST STEALTH FIGHTER MAY OUT-CLASS THE F-35

IMO, they don't have the money for it even with European countries and would probably need vital American parts in one way or another.
With European Countries, money isn't really a problem... Even Turkish TFX gonna have common parts with Tempest most probably...
But there will be vital American Parts too... Thats for sure...

Well the empire is gone. But that does not mean UK is not a world leader in cutting edge tech.

Are you doubting british capability to build the tempest?
I am just interested in the gap between what you said and the UK's steady slippage in reality.

Well the empire is gone. But that does not mean UK is not a world leader in cutting edge tech.

Are you doubting british capability to build the tempest?
Indeed ,it's related. Financial might gives you the incentive for more research and industry might. All these are crucial to cutting edge tech. That's how Great Britain works when it has its colonies in it's prime.
US with biggest economy produces most cutting edge tech. Soviet Union collapse and destruction of it's economy signals it's decline in tech and industries.

I am just interested in the gap between what you said and the UK's steady slippage in reality.
UKs defense companies mainly became defunct, or sold. The decrease in the capabilities of the UK defense industry is sad.

Brits are clever. They are saving gigantic amounts of R&D expenditure by "cooperating" with countries like Turkey, US and the European Union on various aviation-related projects. They simply don't need to reinvent the wheel which is why they can afford such expensive defense projects like Tempest. Otherwise it would be impossible for UK to put the money for this jet on the table.

Brits are clever. They are saving gigantic amounts of R&D expenditure by "cooperating" with countries like Turkey, US and the European Union on various aviation-related projects. They simply don't need to reinvent the wheel which is why they can afford such expensive defense projects like Tempest. Otherwise it would be impossible for UK to put the money for this jet on the table.
Too bad the jet will be able to be vetoed by America because we all know it will use vital American parts.

I do not see it that way at all. UK lost its empire many many decades ago.

British economy has transformed itself into knowledge based one. It has world class research and global companies.

Your view of britain slipping I do not see. Where is the tangible evidence for this. It is the second largest economy in Europe and fifth largest in the world.

You have been reading too much into the brexit saga....storm in a teapot....GB and EU need each other...either brexit will be cancelled or a FTA would be agreed that would be very similar to what we have now.

GB wont lose its edge.

As to tempest having some common parts with US...yes most likely just as the F35 have british parts. US and UK have symbiotic defense logistics developed over 70 years....But US having a veto on the tempest....no it wont. GB has full mastery over ever element of aircraft production. If any partner country oversteps GB will simply sidestep it.

UK may not be the preeminent superpower it once was and it may play second fiddle to US but it knows how to maintain its interest. UK has enough power to ignore US without any repercussions and US is perfectly aware of this.

Its 6th gen project so should be better then any 5th gen aircraft.

Is their any 6th gen operational yet???
No but other members were somewhat trying to call it a competitor a bird in hand is always worth two in the bush.

Those who think that the UK does not have the scientific or industrial base to build the Tempest, have not been paying attention...

UK may lack financial resources, and that may turn out to be undoing of the project, not knowledge or engineering.

I hope Tempest airframe comes on line soon with current 5th gen weapons and avionics and we then work on the 6th gen systems. ie decouple the airframe from the avonics and progress both.

Tempest is 6th generation fighter jet and introduction is around 2035. UK has skipped the 5th generation. A pilot less plane which controls 100s of drones is the future. It will also use AI

Tempest is 6th generation fighter jet and introduction is around 2035. UK has skipped the 5th generation. A pilot less plane which controls 100s of drones is the future. It will also use AI
It will be using vital American parts that will make it susceptible to vetos when selling by America.

So country like Russia and Turkey has the money to fund a 5th grn fighter jet but Brits don't. And BAE, one of the oldest aviation player which is also a partner of F35 and helping Turkey to design another 5th gen fighter don't have the ability to make a successful 5th gen fighter jet!

Things going over my head, obviously I am not the brightest in the room.

It will be using vital American parts that will make it susceptible to vetos when selling by America.

What vital parts do the US have that UK does not....the engine, the software, the weapons. Who is developing these for the USA. UK is the only level 1 partner in the F35.

I think people forget that UK has continiously maintained its aviation industry. To use an old addage it is one of the jewel in the crown. The Eurofighter is a British jet in all but name....f35 is as much british as it is US jet. It was developed jointly, UK is not simply a purchaser of the jet.

The tempest is like the eurofighter a british effort to maintain its qualitative edge and just like the harrier would breck the mould and be so revolutionary that would also find a market in the USA.

USA do not have superiority over UK in any field not even in the field of having an imbacile for a leader. Bozo is much more vacuous than trump and is even more american than trump.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom