What's new

Why bind ourselves to 'no first use policy'?

Should India Give it up for a more proactive stance ?

• Yes

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 15 42.9%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
India
Why bind ourselves to 'no first use policy', says Parrikar on India's nuke doctrine
10 Nov, 2016, 21:33 hrs IST

Following the nuclear weapons test in 1998, India had declared a "no first use" nuclear policy. Parrikar also said that remarks were personal.
NEW DELHI: Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar today wondered why India cannot say "we are a responsible nuclear power and I will not use it irresponsibly" instead of affirming a "no first use policy", remarks he said were personal in nature.

"Why should I bind myself? I should say I am a responsible nuclear power and I will not use it irresponsibly. This is my (personal) thinking," Parrikar said replying to a question as he explained the need to be unpredictable in warfare strategy.

Following the nuclear weapons test in 1998, India had declared a "no first use" nuclear policy.

Taking a dig at the media, he said they will publish that the nuclear policy has changed.

"It has not changed in government. It is my concept. As an individual I also get feeling. I am not saying you have to use it first. Hoax can be called off," he said, adding that prior to the surgical strike, Pakistan Defence Minister used to threaten India with the possible use of tactical nuclear weapons.

"From the day surgical strike happened, no threat has come. They realised that we can do something which is not well defined," he said.

http://m.economictimes.com/news/def...com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=ETTWMain

My personal opinion
It should be like
1. No use Policy against non nuke nations.
2. No use Policy against friendly Nuke nations by a treaty between two governments like that India and Israel, France , Russia and UK and USA if they agree.

3. Other than the first 2, use will be " As Situation Demands ".

That policy is just for show casing.

Any country armed with nukes when fear total defeat in conventional war would use her nukes.

They are great in prevention of wars and have saved mankind from many certain wars but after all they are not show pieces and humans indeed have used them on fellow humans.

Such move will give a wrong message to world. There is not going to be a nuke war.

So its better keeping moral high ground. But if push come to shove. You can always make an excuse

My personal opinion
It should be like
1. No use Policy against non nuke nations.
2. No use Policy against friendly Nuke nations by a treaty between two governments like that India and Israel, France , Russia and UK and USA if they agree.

3. Other than the first 2, use will be " As Situation Demands ".

There are many nations which try to show that they are friends with Republic of India but in reality they intentions have been always against the national interest of Indian nation.

Indian National Security Agency is aware which nations are against Indian nation and how they are waging the proxy wars to stop the development of Indian nation.

"Why should I bind myself? I should say I am a responsible nuclear power and I will not use it irresponsibly. This is my (personal) thinking,"

Inshort he is saying we will use it when needed. What if someday a war happens (God forbid) b/w China and India, and India is losing terrority, they will use it. So there is "no first use policy".

"Why should I bind myself? I should say I am a responsible nuclear power and I will not use it irresponsibly. This is my (personal) thinking,"

Inshort he is saying we will use it when needed. What if someday a war happens (God forbid) b/w China and India, and India is losing terrority, they will use it. So there is "no first use policy".

The Chinese won't fight a war to grab territory across the LAC unless they enjoy an overwhelming advantage which in terms of mountain warfare means a 3:1 ratio in terms of manpower.They do enjoy a huge advantage but not an overwhelming one.

Just as India doesn't enjoy an overwhelming advantage over Pakistan .

As long as the status quo in terms of manpower & arrns continues , you'd see a status quo on the borders between India & Pakistan & India & China. You'd see a lot of sabre rattling & war like noises in the Indo Pak scenario but nothing beyond that as far as capture of territory goes.
The hot pursuit of terrorists in one form or another across the border in Pakistan is another matter.It seems with the kind of shopping for arms & ammo being undertaken by the Indian armed forces , they seem to be planning for something big - a fact which the Pak armed forces seem aware of .What form would that take is something time will tell !

As far as the Indo China border it will continue to see excursions into each other's territory by both parties without any resort to armed confrontation .It's a far more tranquil border as compared to the Indo Pak border .

Use it where? On Indian soil? If they use it on Chinese soil, Chinese will make sure Indian soil gets one, too. In short, whoever uses it first will end up his own soil getting one for sure.

Use it where? On Indian soil? If they use it on Chinese soil, Chinese will make sure Indian soil gets one, too. In short, whoever uses it first will end up his own soil getting one for sure.

Are you that thick to think a country would use their nukes on their soil?

If you want to post derogatory posts against India, at least come up with creative ones.

Are you that thick to think a country would use their nukes on their soil?

If you want to post derogatory posts against India, at least come up with creative ones.
Actually this is what you can infer from Pakistan's nuclear doctrine of tactical nukes. According to which if Indian armed forces reach deep into Pakistani territories, Pakistan will use the tactical nukes on such advancing armies. So while they will use it on Indian Army but on their own soil.

i will not vote..
once we get NSG then we can change it ;)

India should not deviate from "No First Use" policy. Just like India has not signed NPT on the reasons of principles and has yet adhered to its ideas, the major nuclear powers have not made a declaration about No First Use but have refrained from doing so. After Hiroshima and Nagasaki the only nations issuing nuclear threats are North Korea and Pakistan.

Complete agreement with the DM on this.

Ideally keep all options open and don't have any announced official policy.

Deterrence is a tricky topic.It's as much about one's stated policy as it is about how one's foes perceives one's actions / reactions.

By being ambiguous what DM - Parrikar has done is cast doubt over India's stated NFU .Although , in all fairness the previous NSA categorically stated that we shall not use N weapons against non NW states .However, he refused to affirm whether our NFU would continue being an article of faith.

Parrikar merely added to the confusion / ambiguity .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom