What's new

Why Bangladesh is absolutely quiet when it comes to anti-Prophet remarks by BJP leaders

I don't know what the right balance is.

But I do know, insulting comments about the messenger of Allah is not an "internal matter."

Something needed to be said by the government to voice displeasure.

Even it was empty words in the end.

It needed to be done.

Of course there are other examples in the world where a given party is hostile to Islam and yet business goes on as usual.

i.e. France/Macron and their shenanigans and the continued import of French products to Muslim nations.

So Bangladesh is not unique here.

Still, as an ethnic Bengali with sentimental ties to Bangladesh, I can't help but be disappointed in the government of Bangladesh.
Unlike India, France considers insulting religious figures and books as free speech. I don't agree with it, but at least they are consistent in it. Where they are totally wrong is in persecuting personal religious beliefs and opinions. Other states can tell them that while maintaining normal relations; it stops being internal matter when states violate human rights and freedoms. America calls out other states more than any other. Lynch mobs enjoying political patronage chasing people to force them to chant Jai Ram, or Allahu Akbar, or any other name is not internal matter. Crimes against humanity are not internal matter. Destroying people's homes in India for political reasons without due process is also not internal matter. The only time international law allows destruction of homes is under military occupation to remove a threat. They probably made this so Israel can control Palestinian militancy under occupation.

I don't know what the right balance is.

But I do know, insulting comments about the messenger of Allah is not an "internal matter."

Something needed to be said by the government to voice displeasure.

Even it was empty words in the end.

It needed to be done.

Of course there are other examples in the world where a given party is hostile to Islam and yet business goes on as usual.

i.e. France/Macron and their shenanigans and the continued import of French products to Muslim nations.

So Bangladesh is not unique here.

Still, as an ethnic Bengali with sentimental ties to Bangladesh, I can't help but be disappointed in the government of Bangladesh.

BD government tries to keep low profile and act responsible. The same with many Arab nations who have relatively good relationship with India.

The problem is that BJP is a political arm of a much larger fascist RSS organization. While you never hear any muslim government holding politician ridicule and offend Hinduism, the same courtesy is not being shown by BJP-RSS. Its simply a lack of maturity and the consequences dosent go unnoticed. In contrast there is no eqivalent to BJP that holds power in any muslim country except perhaps Afghanistan. Iranian politicians forexample never ridicule or criticize any religion although Iran is a muslim majority nation.

So how to deal with those BJP crackpots? Who holds power in what is soon to be worlds largest nation by population size. If indians would take action themselves and remove them from power the situation would be much easier for all. But that is not the case at all.

I think Bangladesh goverment is doing a major blunder by not standig together with rest of the Muslim world in this prticular situation. Showing official dissatisfaction would be a meaningful meassage for BJP to learn how to behave.

Lady basically said Bangladesh accepts Indian hegemony, which is true, but she missed the bigger picture because Bangladesh stayed quiet against Myanmar as well, which forced a million Rohingya refugees to Bangladesh. Once I asked a Bangladeshi why Bangladesh does not take a more aggressive defensive and moral stand against Myanmar and he mentioned the fear of China. However, countries don't have to be powerful to make a righteous stand as tiny, poor Gambia showed.

No BD did not stay quiet as it criticised both Myanmar and China over the Rohingya expulsion in 2017.

It should have had a robust military to deal with the savages back in 2017 though.

No BD did not stay quiet as it criticised both Myanmar and China over the Rohingya expulsion in 2017.

It should have had a robust military to deal with the savages back in 2017 though.
This problem is over 40 years old. No Bangladeshi I interacted with had mentioned Rohingya or Myanmar. I did not even know an ethnicity like Rohingya existed until I saw appeals for donations posted in a local Masjid 4 or 5 years ago. Then I asked a Bangladeshi about it. It was not an issue that made headlines until then.

This problem is over 40 years old. No Bangladeshi I interacted with had mentioned Rohingya or Myanmar. I did not even know an ethnicity like Rohingya existed until I saw appeals for donations posted in a local Masjid 4 or 5 years ago. Then I asked a Bangladeshi about it. It was not an issue that made headlines until then.

Bangladesh forced Myanmar to take back until early 1990s when Rohingyas had to flee Myanmar due to persecution but since that time it bacame a one way traffic.

Last edited:
Bangladesh forced Myanmar to take back until early 1990s when Rohingyas had to flee Myanmar due to predication but since that time it bacame a one way traffic.
Myanmar stripped Rohingya's nationality in 1970s forcing them into Bangladesh. There was the problem. It is illegal to make people stateless. As far as I am aware, Bangladesh did not raise that as an issue at the United Nations.

Article 15​

1. Everyone has the right to a nationality.
  2. No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his nationality nor denied the right to change his nationality.

BD wasn't quiet, they stated officially that's an internal India matter, in others words, they don't care ....

Myanmar stripped Rohingya's nationality in 1970s forcing them into Bangladesh. There was the problem. It is illegal to make people stateless. As far as I am aware, Bangladesh did not raise that as an issue at the United Nations.

Article 15​

1. Everyone has the right to a nationality.
  2. No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his nationality nor denied the right to change his nationality.

Well Myanmar was under international sanction that time.

This is a storm in a teacup that people are trying to politicise and embroil BD into. It would have been smarter for BD leaders to say nothing at all rather than the lame excuse offered by this MP - but it's not a big deal as some are trying to make it.

The Indian govt has distanced itself from the comments and filed cases against the leaders involved.

The majority of the Muslim world has voiced it's displeasure a week ago - even the Pak leadership has - as if that makes them better leaders.

Bangladesh is irrelevant in this situation and should have stayed quiet or at most give a generic, vague comment.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom