What's new

Why Bangladesh has left India far behind

All other like IMF, World Bank, Moody’s and our internal economic assessment by Government of India says its above 10%, but China funded ADB says 5% lol.

If you are talking about influences, the chief economist of the IMF is an Indian woman. World Bank is also influenced by the IMF.

Internal economic assessment by Government of India is best ignored as biased/propaganda tool for winning elections because it is influenced by party in power.

Let's see actual measurements past this fiscal.

India's economy was in the absolute toilet thanks to the incompetent Nirmala....even before Covid hit.

And Covid dealt a one-two punch, rebound in India would be slow even after Covid effects stopped being so dire, which India is in the thick of, right now (I stopped counting how many numbers of waves by now, thanks to idiots defying risk of life to go celebrate Holi.

That's why we say in Bangladesh, "Chahiye Bar Bar, Modi Sarkar"....

India's economy shrinks at the fastest pace on record
By Charles Riley, CNN Business

Updated 11:00 AM ET, Mon August 31, 2020

Floods heap misery on Indian state amid pandemic

https://defence.pk/pdf/javascript:void(0);

India bihar floods

London (CNN Business): India's economy contracted at the quickest pace on record in the second quarter, as lockdowns that were imposed to help control the spread of coronavirus decimated consumer spending and investment.

The economy shrank 23.9% in the three months ending in June, compared with the previous year, according to official statistics released on Monday. The slump in the world's fifth-largest economy was worse than economists expected, and one of the most severe contractions of any nation as a result of the pandemic.

Investment collapsed by 47% compared with the previous year, while household consumption contracted by nearly 27%, according to Capital Economics. Government consumption increased by 16%, but that wasn't enough to offset the sharp decline in activity in other sectors.

Shilan Shah of Capital Economics said the second quarter should mark the low point for India's economy, but there are signs the recovery could be very slow even though lockdown measures have been eased. A key measure of manufacturing activity edged lower in July, and output from infrastructure industries remains depressed.

"The continued rapid spread of the coronavirus will dampen domestic demand," said Shah. "What's more, the underwhelming fiscal response to the crisis will guarantee a legacy of higher unemployment, firm failures and an impaired banking sector that will weigh heavily on investment and consumption."

Once the fastest-growing major economy in the world, India limped into 2020 as consumer demand waned and the country's automotive sector struggled. Then coronavirus hit.

India presses ahead with reopening as daily coronavirus caseload surges to record-breaking high

India has registered more than 3.6 million cases of coronavirus, according to data from Johns Hopkins University, and roughly 64,500 people have died from the disease. The numbers are rising quickly: It took almost six months for India to record 1 million cases, another three weeks to hit 2 million, and only 16 more days to hit 3 million.

Covid-19 has delivered a significant hit to every country's economy. Each member of the G7 — Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States — are officially in recession, for example.

The clear outlier among major economies is China, which catapulted into recovery mode in the second quarter following a drop in GDP between January and March, its worst performance over a three-month period in decades.

— Julia Horowitz and Swati Gupta contributed reporting.

Last edited:
Hasina has had little to contribute to Bangladesh' economic development, except bare-bones policy support.

She hasn't stood in the way - however we can't give her credit as a politician for actively doing anything.

The rise of Bangladesh has been due to our industrialists, civil society, NGO's and most of all - educated women.

@HostileInsurgent like I said, 15 years after hasina BD will become a basket case again. Lungi intellectuals like him will definitely make it so.

Lmao, I probably know more about economics than some coconut oil haired guy called 'ghost hobbit', just keep clapping to bumped up figures without context.. it's a trend in India, it appears.

What's your problem with lungis as an attire ? Lungi clad man steal the girl of your dreams ? Wet ones ?

It's okay, work on yourself, we live, we learn, start by not smelling like banana leaves and coconut oil, not scoring anything with that.

Last edited:
RCEP deal is a BS deal...another OBOR in disguise to dump chinese goods into south east asian markets.

ASEAN-China FTA has already been started in 2010, it is to have FTA with Japan, South Korea, and Australia that make SEA countries sign RCEP.

Lmao, I probably know more about economics than some coconut oil haired guy called 'ghost hobbit', just keep clapping to bumped up figures without context.. it's a trend in India, it appears.

What's your problem with lungis as an attire ? Lungi clad man steal the girl of your dreams ? Wet ones ?

It's okay, work on yourself, we live, we learn, start by not smelling like banana leaves and coconut oil, not scoring anything with that.

Lool
Lungi under paijama is the one.

ASEAN-China FTA has already been started in 2010, it is to have FTA with Japan, South Korea, and Australia that make SEA countries sign RCEP.

I don't know why Bangladesh didn't join that or Bangladesh should try to join ASEAN for economical reasons

I don't know why Bangladesh didn't join that or Bangladesh should try to join ASEAN for economical reasons

Wheels have only begun turning....

I believe Bangladesh will get at least get affiliate position in ASEAN if not one of the regional trade groupings that ASEAN has, but this would require that Bangladesh has stronger economic standing than say, Laos, Cambodia or Myanmar (all members of ASEAN), which would definitely be the case now.

ASEAN grouping comprises only SE Asian countries geographically, so "membership" in the grouping is a long shot. There are however several other ways for non-members to engage with ASEAN, including as a Dialogue, Development, Sectoral Partner, or as a participant in the ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF).

Bangladesh can apply to join as a participant in the ARF, provided they have the capacity to support ASEAN’s development in terms of both resources and expertise. All existing ASEAN member countries must agree before any country can become an affiliate.

If Bangladesh wishes to join ASEAN for trade purposes, it would be easier to try and join RCEP (which makes more sense).

China (a powerful member) can sponsor Bangladesh attempt of joining RCEP, provided negotiations succeed.

The way indian economy is shrinking, soon lungi will be too expensive for them..

Hasina has had little to contribute to Bangladesh' economic development, except bare-bones policy support.

She hasn't stood in the way - however we can't give her credit as a politician for actively doing anything.

The rise of Bangladesh has been due to our industrialists, civil society, NGO's and most of all - educated women.

@HostileInsurgent make that 10 years

There deals that are good, and then those that are bad.

Amitabh Bacchan (Big B) wearing South Indian Lungi with pride where it is very common attire.
iu

South Indian Actor (Ajith?) wearing Lungi on International Lungi Day
main-qimg-a86d856ca15442f8c0f94d1b86e78838

Sardarji in Punjab wearing Lungi where it was until recently - common attire.
iu

The whole of Malay/Indonesian folks wear Lungi as national costume, with pride I might add. Especially during religious events, @Indos brother please correct me if I am wrong.
iu

So it is only ignorant folks who deride any Asian population group as "Lungis".

☝.. It’s called a sarong in South East Asia and Sri Lanka, In South India it’s called Vetti/Verti (sic.)

The difference is the sarong is a piece of cloth sewn together wrapped around but the Vetti is single piece of cloth that’s wrapped around.. Not sure how a lungi is done

Amitabh Bacchan (Big B) wearing South Indian Lungi with pride where it is very common attire.
iu

South Indian Actor (Ajith?) wearing Lungi on International Lungi Day
main-qimg-a86d856ca15442f8c0f94d1b86e78838

Sardarji in Punjab wearing Lungi where it was until recently - common attire.
iu

The whole of Malay/Indonesian folks wear Lungi as national costume, with pride I might add. Especially during religious events, @Indos brother please correct me if I am wrong.
iu

So it is only ignorant folks who deride any Asian population group as "Lungis".

It's Veshti, Mundu. Not lungi. It has more class.

Many of the distinguished Indians regularly wear lungi, not only in South but in West Bengal, Assam.
Saying so, Lungi is now less preferred in West Bengal now even among Muslims.
During my last Visit in BD i saw a trend of people moving away from Lungi.

Another point Hasina bought the required stability in BD which do helped to flourish economy.. I remember 15-20 days of nonstop hartal in BD, which just destroyed the economy.

Hopefully with a better economy and improved exchange rate illegal migration (one of the most deciding issues in election of WB) will be eliminated.

Many of the distinguished Indians regularly wear lungi, not only in South but in West Bengal, Assam.
Saying so, Lungi is now less preferred in West Bengal now even among Muslims.
During my last Visit in BD i saw a trend of people moving away from Lungi.

Another point Hasina bought the required stability in BD which do helped to flourish economy.. I remember 15-20 days of nonstop hartal in BD, which just destroyed the economy.

Hopefully with a better economy and improved exchange rate illegal migration (one of the most deciding issues in election of WB) will be eliminated.

Lungis are more popular in the UK than some places in BD (every washing line has lungis on lol) Though in the rural area, Lungi is worn proudly with most clothing, infact when I am gifted a Lungi set it's quite satisfying.

Yemenis wear the sarong, somalis wear the macawi(sarong) proudly. Lungi is our attire, but you got these bhan sod indians making songs like lungi dance lol

Back
Top Bottom