What's new

why are people afraid to visit pakistan ?

Why not visit? Well, there has to be a reason to go. That would be commerce or tourism. This requires a safe environment for visitors. The risk of crimes like theft aren't necessarily decisive deterrents but the threat of kidnapping certainly is. Not easy to keep to a business schedule if you're kidnapped.

Reducing the terror should help commerce. I know of a business that closed permanently rather than risk sending someone to Pakistan to buy more carpets and furniture. Something about the marketplace being blown up. But I guess businesses will still be more likely to test and employ local agents rather than fly someone to Pakistan to do their buying, or turn to Bangladesh, Iran, and Indonesia for similar products.

Why not visit? Well, there has to be a reason to go. That would be commerce or tourism. This requires a safe environment for visitors. The risk of crimes like theft aren't necessarily decisive deterrents but the threat of kidnapping certainly is. Not easy to keep to a business schedule if you're kidnapped.

Reducing the terror should help commerce. I know of a business that closed permanently rather than risk sending someone to Pakistan to buy more carpets and furniture. Something about the marketplace being blown up. But I guess businesses will still be more likely to test and employ local agents rather than fly someone to Pakistan to do their buying, or turn to Bangladesh, Iran, and Indonesia for similar products.
Pakistan is safer than most Latino countries if you are to believe things call statistics our issue is bad perception a tourist is more likely to be mugged and killed in Brazil than be taken out in Pakistan but certain things that occur in Pakistan catch more media attention than similar things happening in other places

Commerce is not even an issue so many British and American brands operate in Pakistan with British managers the issue is tourism which was affected post 9/11
We still get a lot of Asian tourists but tourism from europe has come to halt

Those are only headlines, it is the regular stuff that matters more: airline connections, good, safe and clean hotels, ease of transport, hygienic food and water.

None of it is top-of-the-mind for a wishful Indian visitor. Instead he (she) thinks about beefy men in black shoes following them around, photographing their meetings with ordinary Pakistanis, interrogations of Pakistanis with whom they have been seen, or seen to be conversing with....

Pakistan is safer than most Latino countries if you are to believe things call statistics our issue is bad perception a tourist is more likely to be mugged and killed in Brazil than be taken out in Pakistan but certain things that occur in Pakistan catch more media attention than similar things happening in other places
Certain things are also more likely to catch the attention of kidnappers in Pakistan than others. Like if the tourist or businessman is Jewish. I know of one case where a Jew arrived on business - invited by a Pakistani firm - and as soon as he arrived at his hotel so did the police, who warned him that they couldn't protect him. He took the hint and left immediately.

I have read blogs and seen pictures of european visitors in Pakistan , who are always accompanied by police or security guards. I saw a video on vice's youtube channel recently ,where a female journalist stayed in a hotel in karachi ,which had three layers of security, and the security in-charge suggested the guest to got to certain floor of the building if any crisis occurs, where she will be safe. Outsiders like us know nothing about the ground realities ,but informations like these , definitly does not give a good picture of Pakistan.

See what I mean, folks?

None of it is top-of-the-mind for a wishful Indian visitor. Instead he (she) thinks about beefy men in black shoes following them around, photographing their meetings with ordinary Pakistanis, interrogations of Pakistanis with whom they have been seen, or seen to be conversing with....

Both sides do not make it easy to get visas. What you describes comes much later in the picture, Sir.

Urdu muhawra hay bad say bura badnaam we have less tourists than some Latin American countries which have worse law and order issues than us

Contrary to popular belief our crime rate is low much lower than most Latino countries

The difference is that I don't want to go to any of those places; I want to visit Pakistan.

Both sides do not make it easy to get visas. What you describes comes much later in the picture, Sir.

Ask YLH, for instance, how he felt once he was actually in Delhi. I agree wholeheartedly about the difficulty in getting visas; I had a hell of a problem getting a particularly bright young British kid into the country as a Data Centre manager to be trained, just because his father was born in Sialkot. :hitwall: It took huge wire-pulling and A. C. Muthiah's personal intervention to get that damned visa.

Weird people, these visa officers. Truly weird.

I have read blogs and seen pictures of european visitors in Pakistan , who are always accompanied by police or security guards. I saw a video on vice's youtube channel recently ,where a female journalist stayed in a hotel in karachi ,which had three layers of security, and the security in-charge suggested the guest to got to certain floor of the building if any crisis occurs, where she will be safe.

That's a little overkill.

They only follow orders, and add their own layer of incompetence and greed on top in typical desi fashion, Sir.

If you think that is bad, the place of birth even with any other passport is enough to cause delays and issues.

Certain things are also more likely to catch the attention of kidnappers in Pakistan than others. Like if the tourist or businessman is Jewish. I know of one case where a Jew arrived on business - invited by a Pakistani firm - and as soon as he arrived at his hotel so did the police, who warned him that they couldn't protect him. He took the hint and left immediately.
You dont have Jewish written on your face do you?

We even had the last jew of Pakistan give interviews on tv and stroll on streets of Karachi actively discussing Palestine/Israel issue

The difference is that I don't want to go to any of those places; I want to visit Pakistan.

Ask YLH, for instance, how he felt once he was actually in Delhi. I agree wholeheartedly about the difficulty in getting visas; I had a hell of a problem getting a particularly bright young British kid into the country as a Data Centre manager to be trained, just because his father was born in Sialkot. :hitwall: It took huge wire-pulling and A. C. Muthiah's personal intervention to get that damned visa.

Convert to Buddhism,get Bhutan nationality and become a monk :D
http://www.dawn.com/news/1258884/bhutans-monks-worship-at-mingora-monastery

well, till as recently as the 70s, Pakistan did have a hippie trail of its own, all gone to shit since Zia and the Saudis went religio-fascist and destroyed the universal Pakistani rational mind. Granted, these aren't always the most desired visitors, and they certainly don't spend enough to make a significant economic impact but word of mouth matters, and isn't offering someone a taste of your culture better than making money ?

I've heard tales from some of these guys who used to criss-cross the subcontinent at the height of tensions, 65, 71 etc and how they'd get a real hard time at both the borders but they would manage anyway (with their hidden stash) :smokin:

Pak still has amazing mountaineering destinations but it's a very niche clientele, and both the actual as well as the perception of the security situation is killing you with potential tourists.

well, till as recently as the 70s, Pakistan did have a hippie trail of its own, all gone to shit since Zia and the Saudis went religio-fascist and destroyed the universal Pakistani rational mind. Granted, these aren't always the most desired visitors, and they certainly don't spend enough to make a significant economic impact but word of mouth matters, and isn't offering someone a taste of your culture better than making money ?

I've heard tales from some of these guys who used to criss-cross the subcontinent at the height of tensions, 65, 71 etc and how they'd get a real hard time at both the borders but they would manage anyway (with their hidden stash) :smokin:

Pak still has amazing mountaineering destinations but it's a very niche clientele, and both the actual as well as the perception of the security situation is killing you with potential tourists.
Nope the perception is stronger than actual facts Latino countries have more attacks on tourists,poor security yet they attract tourist the real issue is perception

Don't laugh too soon....many a true word, and so on.
It would be easier if you picked religeous tourism as a reason of your visit to Pakistan 1000,s of Indians visit Pakistan for pilgrimage

There was exageration that vice documentry two other European visited Islamabad Fashion Week the thing is in Karachi big 5 star hotels have backup plans incase of a an emergency it doesnot mean there are safety issues and she interviewed Molana Abdul Aziz on Islam,s view on fashion shows i mean every Pakistani knows he has extremist views why interview him when you were here for the Fashion Show?

Any who here are westerners who travel in Pakistan without security

I have followed lisa ahmad vlogs etc online for ages she is so lovely a true friend who loves and appreciates pakistan bless her :smitten:

Back
Top Bottom