What's new

Why are Indian Generals so poor?

House of Andika Perkasa, Indonesia former Armed Force General. Armed Force General needs to get sufficient salary. With the economy growing, so their salary needs to be increased as well. They are handling huge and expensive military equipment, without sufficient salary they can be bribed.

This is Tri Sutrisno house, he was former Indonesian Armed Force General during 1990's

Indonesian soldiers houses (lowest rank-Tamtama/Enlisted)

Last edited:
Just because you can afford a Ferrari doesn't mean you've to own a Ferrari.

Mark Fuckerberg apparently putters around in a Hyundai or something.
Yeah but's he's jewish,so...spend money for ferrari? nooo you have to hoard the money :P

I have been following senior officers from the Indian Defence Forces after retirement. I have observed that most of them have stayed back in India. All of them lead a very simple life after retirement. They drive normal cars, stay in homes that can be called spartan and nothing more.

Latest in that list is recently retired Army Chief, General Narvane. He posted the pic of his apartment before Deepawali on X.

Why would such a senior officer stay in an apartment and not a bungalow? If not a palatial one but atleast an independent one in a nice locality as per his stature? It looks demeaning to make such high ranking officers live a life, that looks like a life of penury. That too after a life dedicated to the service of the nation.
I don't know where Gen. Naravane lives, but that certainly doesn't look like a cheap housing complex. Apartments in similar complexes are costing upwards of 2.5 Cr these days in major metros, which is a lot of money for those in govt jobs. That said, your lifestyle in Army or govt jobs depends a lot on your background too. There are those came from poor backgrounds, got into civil services / military and had lot of financial responsibilities to discharge. There are those who are 'khandani' or 2nd/3rd generation officers. They had lesser financial obligations and could save more. There are many other variables. Some pay commissions (I think 5th or 6th) rendered substantial pay increases. Those who benefited from that had a windfall, while those who retired earlier couldn't. I have many relatives in the military. Some uncles who are now in their 70s had very modest corpus on retirement. In contrast, some cousins and brothers-in-law who are 2nd gen officers live fairly luxuriously and are sure to retire with a decent corpus.

Everything else being equal, there are cultural factors also. Maharashtrians and South Indian officers (talking about military only) generally tend to live more modestly. However, many south Indian military officers come from landed families and have a lot of ancestral property, esp those from Malnad and Kerala region.

I have also noticed that the children of military officers are generally well to do, and work as highly paid employees in the private sector. The military upbringing surely imparts some behavioural characteristics which benefits them. So parents of such affluent children also end up benefiting. All in all, I would say they live a comfortable upper middle class life.

Last edited:
They are handling huge and expensive military equipment, without sufficient salary they can be bribed.
Don't you have anti-bribery measures? The opposite is true. The more someone is paid the less they do and the more entitled they get. Look at pakjeets and elensky.

Idiot.

Colonel Hunny Bakshi tweeted, that the house General Naravane tweeted isn't purchase by him. He lives on rent there

He lives on rent there
Now that is something. I am sure he would have bought the flat, if he could afford it.
Apartments in similar complexes are costing upwards of 2.5 Cr these days in major metros,
2.5 crores isn’t such a big corpus. I am sure that these people would do some investments for a secure future and be able to have a decent quality life after retirement.
If things are this bad, then government needs to look at the compensation to officers.

Well i guess all salaried people live like that, u can never become rich if u r a salaried person. A salaried person only becomea rich in Pakistan because they r not public servants but public fathers. The most rich ppl in Pakistan are military leaders, bureaucrats and politicians... This only happens in the Islamic thekedar banana republic.

Just because you can afford a Ferrari doesn't mean you've to own a Ferrari.

Mark Fuckerberg apparently putters around in a Hyundai or something.

Ferrari Testarossa

Because Indian generals serve Indian interests and are loyal

Their counterparts next door are haram khor, who as stated by others, would even sell their own mothers...

Unfortunately it seems to be more true as the days go on. They have a complete monopoly on governance but have done a chronically poor job. Some areas have entirely been neglected completely, untouched. They simply don't care.

If some of you are in oblivion it doesn't mean certain facts don't exist. Following information is available on social media.

It is difficult to determine the exact net worth of Indian generals. However, several generals are reported to be among the richest in India based on available information:

• General J.J. Singh (Retired): Estimated net worth of over $2.5 billion USD. General Singh served as the Chief of Army Staff from 2006 to 2010. After retirement, he has earned money through consulting roles, work with defense companies, sponsorships and endorsements.

• General Shankar Roychowdhury (Retired): Reports indicate a net worth of at least $1.8 billion USD. General Roychowdhury served as the Vice Chief of Army Staff from 2003 to 2006. His income comes from land holdings, business interests, investments and post-retirement positions on company boards.

• General Deepak Kapoor (Retired): Estimated net worth of $1.5-2 billion USD. General Kapoor served as the Chief of Army Staff from 2010 to 2014. Like other generals, he has earned significantly post-retirement through advisory work, sponsorships, director roles, contracts, etc. His wealth comes from a mix of inheritance, salary, bonuses, and business ventures.

• General Bikram Singh (Retired): Net worth possibly over $1.2 billion USD. General Singh served as the Chief of Army Staff from 2012 to 2014. After retirement, he joined the board of Indian Oil Corporation and earned money through that role along with consulting work for defense companies and some contractor sponsorships.

• General S.K. Sinha (Retired): Estimated net worth of at least $750 million USD. General Sinha served as the Vice Chief of Army Staff from 2003 to 2005. His wealth comes from land ownership, investments, company director roles, plus earnings from his sons who are also successful Indian Army Generals. Retirement has allowed him to focus more on family business interests and expansion.

While these figures are difficult to verify without public disclosure of financials, this provides a sense of some of the richest generals in India according to available media reports and estimates. In general, serving in high-ranking positions, accumulating assets over many years, shrewd business dealings, advantageous post-retirement roles, and inheriting wealth from family members have all contributed to large fortunes for some Indian generals. But there is likely significant diversity in the financial profiles of generals based on career paths, opportunities, locations, and more.

I don't see an Army general to be poor if he handles his finances smartly.
If a govt clerk in India can afford a house so can our Aemy general.
Now why he living on rent, only reason could be that his children don't want to live there, so what's the point of buying ?

He has secure pension coming and can pay the rent , live a luxurious life.

U guys are thinking like poor people living in a single room lol. He maybe feel very secure financially and don't see the need to buy the house.
Only financially insecure people 1st thing they do after getting money is buy house.

I think there was a heroine who never bought a house and stayed in 5 star hotel I forgot her name.

I have been following senior officers from the Indian Defence Forces after retirement. I have observed that most of them have stayed back in India. All of them lead a very simple life after retirement. They drive normal cars, stay in homes that can be called spartan and nothing more.

Latest in that list is recently retired Army Chief, General Narvane. He posted the pic of his apartment before Deepawali on X.

Why would such a senior officer stay in an apartment and not a bungalow? If not a palatial one but atleast an independent one in a nice locality as per his stature? It looks demeaning to make such high ranking officers live a life, that looks like a life of penury. That too after a life dedicated to the service of the nation.

Count yourselves lucky.

Money hungry Generals are a curse.

Leave our Generals aside Indian Generals live good. Yes not very luxurious but good

If some of you are in oblivion it doesn't mean certain facts don't exist. Following information is available on social media.

It is difficult to determine the exact net worth of Indian generals. However, several generals are reported to be among the richest in India based on available information:

• General J.J. Singh (Retired): Estimated net worth of over $2.5 billion USD. General Singh served as the Chief of Army Staff from 2006 to 2010. After retirement, he has earned money through consulting roles, work with defense companies, sponsorships and endorsements.

• General Shankar Roychowdhury (Retired): Reports indicate a net worth of at least $1.8 billion USD. General Roychowdhury served as the Vice Chief of Army Staff from 2003 to 2006. His income comes from land holdings, business interests, investments and post-retirement positions on company boards.

• General Deepak Kapoor (Retired): Estimated net worth of $1.5-2 billion USD. General Kapoor served as the Chief of Army Staff from 2010 to 2014. Like other generals, he has earned significantly post-retirement through advisory work, sponsorships, director roles, contracts, etc. His wealth comes from a mix of inheritance, salary, bonuses, and business ventures.

• General Bikram Singh (Retired): Net worth possibly over $1.2 billion USD. General Singh served as the Chief of Army Staff from 2012 to 2014. After retirement, he joined the board of Indian Oil Corporation and earned money through that role along with consulting work for defense companies and some contractor sponsorships.

• General S.K. Sinha (Retired): Estimated net worth of at least $750 million USD. General Sinha served as the Vice Chief of Army Staff from 2003 to 2005. His wealth comes from land ownership, investments, company director roles, plus earnings from his sons who are also successful Indian Army Generals. Retirement has allowed him to focus more on family business interests and expansion.

While these figures are difficult to verify without public disclosure of financials, this provides a sense of some of the richest generals in India according to available media reports and estimates. In general, serving in high-ranking positions, accumulating assets over many years, shrewd business dealings, advantageous post-retirement roles, and inheriting wealth from family members have all contributed to large fortunes for some Indian generals. But there is likely significant diversity in the financial profiles of generals based on career paths, opportunities, locations, and more.
Complete nonsense. At least one among those you have named has fought an election and has publicly disclosed his assets.

Also the information you have posted has glaring factual errors. Gen Roychoudhary retired as Army Chief in 1997. How could he have been Vice Chief in 2006 ? And how could both Gen Kapoor and Gen Bikram Singh both have been army chief between 2012 and 2014 ? At least read and check what you post before pressing the Submit button.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom