What's new

Who said India/Indian Poor?

:lol:

After reading first sentace i thought you were abusing me.. :lol:..what ever corruption they are doing ..look at Tamil Nadu now..one of the wealthiest state of India...Also Karunanidhi announces lots of people friendly projects like rice for rs 2 for below poverty line and many more..By the trend he is ruling,Jayalaitha has to wait for some time before coming to power..Compare Karunanidhis work with Mayawathi..she is doing nothing for the state ...

well i think wealthiest state is Gujrat:what:

Very well said.

I think its more to do with politics to target only Mayawati

No, it is latest news and people are reacting to a current news it is also because she has spend 200 crore in political rally and wear a Rs. 5 crore garland.

:what: huge following she has

Low-caste Indians rally to mark 25 years of their party

Hundreds of thousands of people have rallied in the Indian city of Lucknow to mark the 25th anniversary of a party which represents low-caste Hindus.

Large parts of the city were turned blue, the colour of the Bahujan Samaj Party which has a huge following among Dalits (formerly "untouchables").

Party leader Mayawati said she would champion Dalit rights until she died.

Ms Mayawati is India's first Dalit woman chief minister. Her critics say she has amassed vast personal wealth.

Statues

Lucknow, the capital of the northern state of Uttar Pradesh, was draped in blue lights and every single hoarding leading to the rally ground was blue for Monday's celebration.

I am proud of the Dalit people. Whenever I have needed them, they have supported me

Mayawati,
Uttar Pradesh chief minister

Profile: Mayawati Kumari
The massive ground was packed to capacity with thousands of supporters spilling out into nearby areas. Some estimates say nearly 400,000 people turned up to hear Ms Mayawati speak.

She had claimed beforehand that more than two million people would attend.

Supporters cheered and clapped, and some even danced, throughout her 95-minute address.

Every time she spoke about repression of Dalits - who are at the bottom of the Hindu caste system - the crowds went delirious.

"While I have one drop of blood left in me, I will champion the cause of the Dalits," Ms Mayawati told those present.

A former school teacher, Ms Mayawati is one of India's most colourful politicians.

She has governed Uttar Pradesh and its 180 million people since state elections in 2007.

In the past few years, she has amassed massive personal wealth, developing a fondness for lavish birthday parties and diamond jewellery.

She has been taken to court for commissioning massive statues of past Dalit icons and herself at great public expense.

Lucknow turned blue for the celebrations
The BBC's Geeta Pandey in Delhi says Ms Mayawati's critics accuse her of wasting precious government funds in one of India's most backward states.

Uttar Pradesh has soaring crime, poor health services and very high illiteracy rates.

Our correspondent says Ms Mayawati appears unfazed by all the criticism and has spoken many times about her ambition to be the prime minister of India.

Her supporters also seem unconcerned by the criticism - analysts say the turnout at Monday's rally proves they still have faith in her leadership.

"For us, she is a Goddess. She has empowered us. Given us a voice which now people are listening to," one woman at the rally told the Associated Press news agency.

Despite her success in Uttar Pradesh, Ms Mayawati's plans to make her presence felt in national politics suffered a serious setback in last year's general elections.
Her party denied claims on Monday that state funds had helped pay for Monday's festivities, saying it had footed the bill.

BBC News - Low-caste Indians rally to mark 25 years of their party

Dalit queen Mayawati's fatal attraction at rally

Birthday celebrations for Indian party lure bees and tax inspectors to chief minister of Uttar Pradesh

The moral for aspirant politicians, whether Indian or not, is clear: If you are going to paint the town blue and flaunt a garland made of banknotes, beware of bees and tax inspectors.

It is unclear whether Mayawati Kumari, the chief minister of the vast and populous northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, expected to be presented with the huge garland she wore at a public rally to celebrate the 25th birthday of her Bahujan Samaj party (BSP) on Monday, but it is unlikely she expected the political, fiscal and insect reaction it was to provoke.

Everything else for the rally, in the northern city of Lucknow, had been foreseen. In contrast to the normal chaos of Indian politics, party workers had been told exactly how many supporters needed to be bussed in, food had been laid on and buildings had been illuminated in blue, the colour of the BSP.

Between 200,000 and 500,000 people – the population of Uttar Pradesh is 190 million – were reported to have turned out to see their leader.

Yet it was the garland that caused the problems. The TV and press images of Mayawati, who is a Dalit and thus from one of India's poorest communities, draped in thousands of 1,000 rupee (£13) notes prompted a political furore.

Politicians from the ruling Indian National Congress party accused the former schoolteacher, who grew up in a Delhi slum, of betraying the poor. Opposition parties inveighed against the apparent extravagance of the gesture.

Mayawati loyalists defended their leader, who has repeatedly been accused of wasting vast sums on projects including statues of herself several metres high.

According to Naseemuddin Siddiqui, the BSP general secretary, the notes in the garland were worth not more than £30,000 and were all donated by local party workers.

But then there were the tax authorities. Indian media quoted sources within India's national income tax department pledging an investigation into whether the garland had been declared as a political donation or a personal gift.

A counter-probe by the Uttar Pradesh police is already under way. It aims to uncover the origin of the swarm of bees that surrounded the chief minister on stage.

Mayawati's advisers said they feared sabotage.

"When Mayawati was addressing [the] rally, someone set fire to some bushes in a nearby compound and that set alight the bees from the beehive. These bees then moved rapidly towards the stage and wandered around the chief minister for at least an hour, after which they formed a beehive on top of the stage. Without fear, the CM went ahead with her speech. But an inquiry is being conducted to find out who has done this," a press release from Mayawati's office read.

Dalit queen Mayawati's fatal attraction at rally | World news | guardian.co.uk

Saare chor :cry:

The corruption of the Badal (Punjab CM) family is striking. Robbing the state blind, Parkash Badal rose from a midsize zamindar, owning 80 acres of land, to commanding properties and businesses worth millions of dollars in Punjab, the US, Australia, Canada, and throughout the world. He was booked for unaccounted property accumulation in tune of more than 4,000 crores which they stolen in last few decades.

:azn:

242213d5ad65388f4e4608366a88740e.jpg

Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati being garlanded with currency notes during a rally organised on the occasion of BSP's silver jubliee and Kanshi Ram's birth anniversary in Lucknow on Monday. Photo: Subir Roy

The multi-crore garland was just a small part of the extravagant Rs 200 crore celebrations that marked the BSP's 25th anniversary, and its founder Kanshi Ram's birthday, with a massive rally in Lucknow.

Just 200 corore. :what:

You are right. Bharat is not poor.;)

It's prove the level of corruption among dirty politicians and I am not saying just because of bharat. They all have same character expect few good men.

This money could have change so many's life yet they just waste it. It so unfair, it's a crime. :angry:

I-T may probe source of Maya?s garland- Hindustan Times

The income tax department will investigate the source of the currency notes used for making the garland presented to UP Chief Minister and Bahujan Samaj Party leader Mayawati at the party’s 25th birth anniversary rally on Monday.
Although PTI confirmed the news, the income tax department’s Lucknow office did not comment on the issue.
But on Tuesday, the central government refused in Parliament to accept the demand of members across party lines for a probe into the source of the money.
The issue stalled the Lok Sabha on Tuesday, with Samajwadi Party, Bharatiya Janata Party and Congress members forcing three adjournments.
A close aide of Mayawati, Naseemuddin Siddiqui, said, “Party workers from the Lucknow zone had raised funds to gift the garland.” Terming the Lok Sabha pandemonium a natak (farce), he said each currency note in the garland was “hard earned by BSP workers”.
Although Siddiqui claimed that the garland was worth
Rs 21 lakh, Congress leader Digvijay Singh told Hindustan Times that the 10-metre long garland had 45 notes in each ring. As each centimetre comprised five rings — costing Rs 2.25 lakh — the garland should be worth Rs 22.50 crore.
Sources in the BSP said in Lucknow that the garland was made at Siddiqui’s residence and a person was specially assigned to carry it to the rally venue. But they refused to reveal where the garland had been kept after the rally.
In the Lok Sabha, the first protest came from Congress member Jagdambika Pal who said gifting the garland made of currency notes had violated the basic tenets of the Constitution. Samajwadi Party leader Mulayam Singh Yadav came out in support of Pal and wanted the government to find out the source of the money.
The BSP leaders in Lucknow pointed out that there was no need for an inquiry, as the garland was a gift from party workers. They claimed that the party had receipts for the donations and they would be furnished to the investigating agency, if required.

its scenes like these which disgust me to the core. A proven corrupted & criminal politician is being felicitated with gross amounts money. In a country like ours, which has so much poverty, this is a bloody crime.

well i think wealthiest state is Gujrat:what:

Read my post again..one of the wealthiest..lots of foreign investment is coming to that state :D..Tamil Nadu is called Detroit of India because there lots of car manufacturers invested in there ...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom