What's new

Which car to buy

Which car should I buy?

• Ford Focus Estate | 2010 | 60,000 mileage

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The reason I can afford to have a high mileage is that it will be driving less compared to past years. Back in 2014, I was driving all day and night and drove about 30,000 miles within 6 months but that was due to nature of my job. Now I am mostly staying within city limits or have to travel to Heathrow, Gatwick and Essex from time to time. So my maintenance cost will come down and I am looking for little bit of comfort and space
well. its your choice, but be warned i already know your warming to the audi already. i wont go for it as its an old model. actually i would take my previous choice back and go for the vauxhall instead if your in city limits in an audi most likely a 3 litre tdi then she will be sucking fuel starting and stopping al the time its not worth it. the i vauxhall insignia estate is a good looking car (theres one down the road from my house) traveling wont be a problem as vauxhalls are fuel friendly anyway. also traveling wont reduce your maintainance, it will increase it. since your on a budget i dont think its wise getting an audi. if you want somthing nice you get the proper thing not a cheaper version/model/year of it. so either go for the skoda or the vauxhall

actually i was in a weird situation..... i have been using the bus to get from my house to my office, yes i have to walk to and from the bus stop but it was cheap about £350 p/a way cheaper than a car, getting a bike would only be cheaper, but i aint up for the 8 mile cycle. i have endured it for about 3 years now and i wanted a car. at firsti wanted a polo because they were good cars for my needs, except for when i go down south as they are not that comfortable on the long haul. so i planned to get one a 3 year contract hire. but then a friend of mine got married and he hired a bently for his younger brother. i went with him to pick it up from bolton and on the way back........ i was sold. i had a look at my finances which would get me a new car but i would have to get it on finance. i only had £90k i went to bently manchester( closest officail dealer) and worked something out. on a bently continentail gt speed which the price was about 175k i put down a deposit to get a spot on the queue. but i did not spec it out.
after thinking about it i went for the v8 gt instead it was cheaper and was very economical (as compared to the gt speed) so i went back and got my order changed. the guys over there were nice and allowed it but i knew i was gonna sell at one point and the value was take a hit so i got one pre owned. it had 1567 miles on it. when you buy a showroom car the value drops by about 7% as you drive it out of the show room. so in a way i went from down right stupid to a bit of common sense.i would recomend buying the v8 over the w12 any day.

well. its your choice, but be warned i already know your warming to the audi already. i wont go for it as its an old model. actually i would take my previous choice back and go for the vauxhall instead if your in city limits in an audi most likely a 3 litre tdi then she will be sucking fuel starting and stopping al the time its not worth it. the i vauxhall insignia estate is a good looking car (theres one down the road from my house) traveling wont be a problem as vauxhalls are fuel friendly anyway. also traveling wont reduce your maintainance, it will increase it. since your on a budget i dont think its wise getting an audi. if you want somthing nice you get the proper thing not a cheaper version/model/year of it. so either go for the skoda or the vauxhall

actually i was in a weird situation..... i have been using the bus to get from my house to my office, yes i have to walk to and from the bus stop but it was cheap about £350 p/a way cheaper than a car, getting a bike would only be cheaper, but i aint up for the 8 mile cycle. i have endured it for about 3 years now and i wanted a car. at firsti wanted a polo because they were good cars for my needs, except for when i go down south as they are not that comfortable on the long haul. so i planned to get one a 3 year contract hire. but then a friend of mine got married and he hired a bently for his younger brother. i went with him to pick it up from bolton and on the way back........ i was sold. i had a look at my finances which would get me a new car but i would have to get it on finance. i only had £90k i went to bently manchester( closest officail dealer) and worked something out. on a bently continentail gt speed which the price was about 175k i put down a deposit to get a spot on the queue. but i did not spec it out.
after thinking about it i went for the v8 gt instead it was cheaper and was very economical (as compared to the gt speed) so i went back and got my order changed. the guys over there were nice and allowed it but i knew i was gonna sell at one point and the value was take a hit so i got one pre owned. it had 1567 miles on it. when you buy a showroom car the value drops by about 7% as you drive it out of the show room. so in a way i went from down right stupid to a bit of common sense.i would recomend buying the v8 over the w12 any day.
So you got a bentley! That's great

I just need a car for everyday use and I am gradually tilting towards either Audi A6 or Skoda Octavia.

The thing is, New car is not my biggest priority right now but I do need a nice comfortable car. My wife got a very good one as she can afford luxury with little expenses but poor me got to settle myself below £4000 budget + insurance for this year.

Not recommended to go beyond 60-70k miles.
One of my uncle hates it when I talk about buying a car with mileage above 40k or so

For him the threshold is 15,000 miles maximum or he would not buy it... preferably 6000-8000 miles.... but everybody is dofferent I reckon... I could either buy Vauxhall, Ford, Peugeot or similar cars from 2012/13 with low mileage or get a nice car from Audi, BMW or Volvo with high mileage and slightly older model.

Last edited:
So you got a bentley! That's great

I just need a car for everyday use and I am gradually tilting towards either Audi A6 or Skoda Octavia.

The thing is, New car is not my biggest priority right now but I do need a nice comfortable car. My wife got a very good one as she can afford luxury with little expenses but poor me got to settle myself below £4000 budget + insurance for this year.

One of my uncle hates it when I talk about buying a car with mileage above 40k or so

For him the threshold is 15,000 miles maximum or he would not buy it... preferably 6000-8000 miles.... but everybody is dofferent I reckon... I could either buy Vauxhall, Ford, Peugeot or similar cars from 2012/13 with low mileage or get a nice car from Audi, BMW or Volvo with high mileage and slightly older model.
yes, i have had it for about 10 days now. my gf hates it as its too expensive, but she got a holidy and i got a car, granted i got it whilst she was on holiday when i got it.
what does your wife drive? my other half drive a audi a5 coupe (soft top) that beats my old car/bus.
why dont you ask her for some money, or would that hurt your manhood?

your uncle is saying the right thing. it would not want to buy a car thats done80k miles. someones backside has sat on the drivers seat for that long.
buy the skoda and do a prepurchase inspection before you buy along with a hpi check

yes, i have had it for about 10 days now. my gf hates it as its too expensive, but she got a holidy and i got a car, granted i got it whilst she was on holiday when i got it.
what does your wife drive? my other half drive a audi a5 coupe (soft top) that beats my old car/bus.
why dont you ask her for some money, or would that hurt your manhood?

your uncle is saying the right thing. it would not want to buy a car thats done80k miles. someones backside has sat on the drivers seat for that long.
buy the skoda and do a prepurchase inspection before you buy along with a hpi check
I think my budget is more than enough for a car that does my job. If I had 20k to invest in car purchase, you might want me to invest 60k for Mercedes S Class or Range Rover... what I see is many people would buy a car for 800 pounds and get the things done... The amount O am willing to invest on top of 4 wheels is for the sake the sake of comfort and the aim is to get most comfort within minimum investment, hence the thread

I think my budget is more than enough for a car that does my job. If I had 20k to invest in car purchase, you might want me to invest 60k for Mercedes S Class or Range Rover... what I see is many people would buy a car for 800 pounds and get the things done... The amount O am willing to invest on top of 4 wheels is for the sake the sake of comfort and the aim is to get most comfort within minimum investment, hence the thread
well get something decent 20k is about right for a car really heck if went for the polo i would have forked out only 15k then i would have got a pre owned car so i dont get the 7% value slash. as for you get the skoda octavia
this is the car in question.
skoda_octavia_estion_act1_2.jpg

and the audi looks like this.
images

well get something decent 20k is about right for a car really heck if went for the polo i would have forked out only 15k then i would have got a pre owned car so i dont get the 7% value slash. as for you get the skoda octavia
this is the car in question.
skoda_octavia_estion_act1_2.jpg

and the audi looks like this.
images
I still got about 1 month to spare as my existing car will be sold in the second week of September.

I think you are saying it right that O should go for Skoda Octavia as I can get it with comparatively low mileage and may be 2010-11ish plate might fit my budget

I still got about 1 month to spare as my existing car will be sold in the second week of September.

I think you are saying it right that O should go for Skoda Octavia as I can get it with comparatively low mileage and may be 2010-11ish plate might fit my budget
what car do you have now anyway and why are you selling it.

@Aether why not Japanese? The western and American got fkdup after 10k the main problem occurred over heating reasons are various, start got auto electric problems A/C problems etc. I'm in used car business and can't recommend but Japanese. The choice is your.

what car do you have now anyway and why are you selling it.
I currently have two vehicles

1) Citroen Nemo Van - bought at almost brand new condition and now got 93k mileage after driving like a prostitute for 2 years.

2) Honda Jazz of 2012 with around 16k mileage on clock after driving it for 1 year... lol.. bought when the mileage was under 10k

So I plan to sell both because my work needs has changed and want to replace it with all in one bigger but comfortable vehicle. I had a courier company until last few months but now my entire business shifted from courier to importing Mobile, Tools & Electronic accessories

@Aether why not Japanese? The western and American got fkdup after 10k the main problem occurred over heating reasons are various, start got auto electric problems A/C problems etc. I'm in used car business and can't recommend but Japanese. The choice is your.
It's not that I don't like Japanese cars but I was quite happy with my last van "Citroen Nemo" which is French make but never disappointed me for a single day. It always started in the first attempt and had a long service period of 15k or so miles and I literally had to spend £0 after driving it for 60k or so miles. Just had to replace 4 tyres and break pad for once which is quite cheap

I think I have seen enough of Japanese cars since past too many years so just wanted to try European car for a change... If I was still to buy a Japanese car I think it would have been Nissan Qashqai or else Hyundai Tucson from South Korea

I currently have two vehicles

1) Citroen Nemo Van - bought at almost brand new condition and now got 93k mileage after driving like a prostitute for 2 years.

2) Honda Jazz of 2012 with around 16k mileage on clock after driving it for 1 year... lol.. bought when the mileage was under 10k

So I plan to sell both because my work needs has changed and want to replace it with all in one bigger but comfortable vehicle. I had a courier company until last few months but now my entire business shifted from courier to importing Mobile, Tools & Electronic accessories

It's not that I don't like Japanese cars but I was quite happy with my last van "Citroen Nemo" which is French make but never disappointed me for a single day. It always started in the first attempt and had a long service period of 15k or so miles and I literally had to spend £0 after driving it for 60k or so miles. Just had to replace 4 tyres and break pad for once which is quite cheap

I think I have seen enough of Japanese cars since past too many years so just wanted to try European car for a change... If I was still to buy a Japanese car I think it would have been Nissan Qashqai or else Hyundai Tucson from South Korea
easy sell the pair of them and you would get above 4k foor the pair

easy sell the pair of them and you would get above 4k foor the pair
Thats what the plan is...

Selling existing vehicle should be able to get me a new car which fulfils my need of extra space and family... and I think my insurance premium is also likely to be around £1000 thanks to one of the most expensive post code area for car insurance... that is the reason I am restraining myself to the budget of 4k + insurance... I am putting a lot of investment in my business so this is all I could afford for this year's car investment

@Aether
Hyundai Sonata 6th or 7th Gen. What's your budget?
This car is somewhere around 25k mark.

@Aether
Hyundai Sonata 6th or 7th Gen. What's your budget?
This car is somewhere around 25k mark.
With the budget I have... It will take me 6 years to compile that much.... lol

I just want to invest 4000 pounds... In UK the cars are fairly cheap and can even get it for few hundred pounds... so the idea is to get 6-8 year old car that is both comfortable and large enough to provide a lot of space if needed

Thats what the plan is...

Selling existing vehicle should be able to get me a new car which fulfils my need of extra space and family... and I think my insurance premium is also likely to be around £1000 thanks to one of the most expensive post code area for car insurance... that is the reason I am restraining myself to the budget of 4k + insurance... I am putting a lot of investment in my business so this is all I could afford for this year's car investment
you should look at the stock market for making money

you should look at the stock market for making money
I am probably the oldest known person on PDF who invested so much in stock market... It was my only source of income between 2008 to 2014... But I gradually lost interest and my current business generates me good profit with less headache so I am happy with that I am doing right now :)

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom