What's new

Which car to buy

Which car should I buy?

• Ford Focus Estate | 2010 | 60,000 mileage

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Good choice going for used car. Saves a ton on depreciation. Next question is how long do you want to keep it or how do you feel to maintain it yourself.
If you are going to keep your cars for long time , forget about german cars they are highly unreliable. They are not your old japanese car which have less complexity hence easy maintenance.

If the car is going to be used sparingly then it is good option but luxury cars cost a arm & leg to maintain them. Luxury cars are good for short term lease.

Good choice going for used car. Saves a ton on depreciation. Next question is how long do you want to keep it or how do you feel to maintain it yourself.
If you are going to keep your cars for long time , forget about german cars they are highly unreliable. They are not your old japanese car which have less complexity hence easy maintenance.

If the car is going to be used sparingly then it is good option but luxury cars cost a arm & leg to maintain them. Luxury cars are good for short term lease.

I prefer to change car after every 12 months when the insurance is due for renewal.

I am likely to drive approximately 5000 miles for next year (if supposedly no Europe trips were made on car)

With the budget I have... It will take me 6 years to compile that much.... lol

I just want to invest 4000 pounds... In UK the cars are fairly cheap and can even get it for few hundred pounds... so the idea is to get 6-8 year old car that is both comfortable and large enough to provide a lot of space if needed
Well, if you want a car that ages gracefully.
Go German 8-).
MercedesBenz A-Class (it's a joke).
Skoda Yeti 2009.
Pugeot 407 2.0 (Sedan, mid-tier car; you can get one for around 3k).
Chrysler Ypsilon 1.2 (2012)
Chrysler PT Cruiser.
Dodge Caliber.

Cars below are Japanese, so if you really don't want to purchase them, ignore the rest of the post.

But if you can add a bit more money, why not a second-hand Hilux? Or a Honda Accord you'll find plenty of 2005-2007 Accords in that price range. You can also get yourself a
Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0 DI-D Juro 5door.

I'll post more later.

Well, if you want a car that ages gracefully.
Go German 8-).
MercedesBenz A-Class (it's a joke).

I was once close to getting this car for free but I chose not to... That's how classy Mercedes A Class is for me... There was only a minor repair work required in that car which would have cost £200 or so... but I chose not to take a headache of ugly A class
Skoda Yeti 2009.
Pugeot 407 2.0 (Sedan, mid-tier car; you can get one for around 3k).
Chrysler Ypsilon 1.2 (2012)
Chrysler PT Cruiser.
Dodge Caliber.
Skoda Yeti is a good choice but I guess Skoda Octavia Estate has a better design.. My wife is too selective and she wouldn't want to sit in the likes of Yeti (though I have huge respect for such cars).

Dodge is hard to find in UK, I believe it's repair work would also be pain in the a**

No to Chrysler Models

But if you can add a bit more money, why not a second-hand Hilux? Or a Honda Accord you'll find plenty of 2005-2007 Accords in that price range. You can also get yourself a
Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0 DI-D Juro 5door.

I'll post more later.
I was never fan of pick up cars like Hilux... Though Honda's and Toyota's are great cars, my dad used to love such cars when he was alive. I have seen enough of such cars when I was growing up and in my opinion it is good to own one of those cars in Pakistan.

I was once close to getting this car for free but I chose not to... That's how classy Mercedes A Class is for me... There was only a minor repair work required in that car which would have cost £200 or so... but I chose not to take a headache of ugly A class

Skoda Yeti is a good choice but I guess Skoda Octavia Estate has a better design.. My wife is too selective and she wouldn't want to sit in the likes of Yeti (though I have huge respect for such cars).

Dodge is hard to find in UK, I believe it's repair work would also be pain in the a**

No to Chrysler Models

I was never fan of pick up cars like Hilux... Though Honda's and Toyota's are great cars, my dad used to love such cars when he was alive. I have seen enough of such cars when I was growing up and in my opinion it is good to own one of those cars in Pakistan.
A for A-Class, A for Aether. It's a match made in the heavens :p:.
What about Peugeout? Mazda isn't a bad Japanese company either.
Or a Renault Megane? (2 door though ) Or a Jeep Compass? (Planning on buying it for the States, or an old Grand Cherokee ).
I earlier mentioned the Sonata do see it's older versions, I bet they fall in the 4k price category.
Or the VW Tiguan.
I'm running out of cars at this point :undecided:.

Sorry to hear about your father, my condolences.

A for A-Class, A for Aether. It's a match made in the heavens :p:.
What about Peugeout? Mazda isn't a bad Japanese company either.
Or a Renault Megane? (2 door though ) Or a Jeep Compass? (Planning on buying it for the States, or an old Grand Cherokee ).
I earlier mentioned the Sonata do see it's older versions, I bet they fall in the 4k price category.
Or the VW Tiguan.
I'm running out of cars at this point :undecided:.

Sorry to hear about your father, my condolences.
Peugeot is too much hard plastic like Citroen and Fiat but I am sure ite realiability would be great as I was impressef with Citroen models

and Mazda is producing great cars these days but its name reminds me of trucks... lol

I think Renault Megane is a very good option so I will look into its prices...

From VW I like Passat but I have to be extra careful to ensure its interior is as clean as I want.

I think I am making my mind between Skoda Octavia Estate vs 1 more car mentioned in previous pages and if I could add another £1000 then Nissan Qashqai from 2009

These 3 cars are the finalists so far... so I will just buy one of those depending on the price of the day

2008 model????

DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY. :coffee:

When you buy a car, buy a brand new one is my mantra.
I can't trust 2nd cars.

Peugeot is too much hard plastic like Citroen and Fiat but I am sure ite realiability would be great as I was impressef with Citroen models

and Mazda is producing great cars these days but its name reminds me of trucks... lol

I think Renault Megane is a very good option so I will look into its prices...

From VW I like Passat but I have to be extra careful to ensure its interior is as clean as I want.

I think I am making my mind between Skoda Octavia Estate vs 1 more car mentioned in previous pages and if I could add another £1000 then Nissan Qashqai from 2009

These 3 cars are the finalists so far... so I will just buy one of those depending on the price of the day
Good Luck :-)

2008 model????

DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY. :coffee:

When you buy a car, buy a brand new one is my mantra.
I can't trust 2nd cars.
Did you know £80,000 worth of Audi car will be sold for £15,000 after 3-4 years? so why not save that £65,000 and make a free school for children.

Like I said earlier, right now my priority is not cars otherwise I wouldn't mind getting one Mercedes E Class from the showroom.

Did you know £80,000 worth of Audi car will be sold for £15,000 after 3-4 years? so why not save that £65,000 and make a free school for children.

Like I said earlier, right now my priority is not cars otherwise I wouldn't mind getting one Mercedes E Class from the showroom.
Oh I didn't notice it was your thread.

Let me tell you how I do my maths, I buy an eight year old car, most prolly it's battery will have to be replaced soon, it might not even pass the paint test. Repainting + battery= Heavy amount.

AC/ component replacements might cost you dearly coz Audi is a German car.
If I go to the other cars mentioned in the list then they are mostly european, even Skoda gets costly when you have to do its Maintainence( my dad owns a Skoda octavia which he had bought 9 years back, and plans to sell now due to maintenance issues).

Just my humble opinion!

Like most things in life it depends on your budget. You need to tell us your budget and then what you want out of your car. I bought a BMW3 Coupe three years ago and it's given me no trouble. Flawless. Last few months my daily mileage has come down drastically but before that it was about 40k a year. I honestly cannot say anything negative about the car. It is as good as it gets unless you can afford a Lambo or something.

I just bought a brand new Mini Cooper (cost over £22k) last week with full sunroof for somebody close to me. Great car for the younger generation. They won't ever forget a gift like that. I only wish I had got something like when I was young but I had typical Pakistani dad. All slaps but no play. Instead I had to with broken knackered Pug.

Let me tell you how I do my maths, I buy an eight year old car, most prolly it's battery will have to be replaced soon, it might not even pass the paint test. Repainting + battery= Heavy amount.

If I go to the other cars mentioned in the list then they are mostly european, even Skoda gets costly when you have to do its Maintainence( my dad owns a Skoda octavia which he had bought 9 years back, and plans to sell now due to maintenance issues).

Just my humble opinion!
depends on budget... and mentality of the person... I will never buy a new car in UK, unless I win a lottery....
second hand cars in Uk are excellent value, unlike India... and you get little or no issues...

Just my humble opinion!
Nothing of that sort in UK... We don't live in a desert like UAE so the car hardly gets dirty. We don't live in a boiling temperate like you, so we only need to use AC for couple of times per year. But I got your point but see my budget is restraining me to be stingy and sometimes we have to take decision after estimating the weight of our pocket

Like most things in life it depends on your budget. You need to tell us your budget and then what you want out of your car. I bought a BMW3 Coupe three years ago and it's given me no trouble. Flawless. Last few months my daily mileage has come down drastically but before that it was about 40k a year. I honestly cannot say anything negative about the car. It is as good as it gets unless you can afford a Lambo or something.

I just bought a brand new Mini Cooper (cost over £22k) last week with full sunroof for somebody close to me. Great car for the younger generation. They won't ever forget a gift like that. I only wish I had got something like when I was young but I had typical Pakistani dad. All slaps but no play. Instead I had to with broken knackered Pug.
The budget has been mentioned for couple of times already... I don't wanna invest more than £4000 for a new car :(

The idea is to get rid of existing 1x car and 1x van which will fetch me around £5500 - £6500 and I am thinking to buy a car for around £4000 + £1000 for insurance. I prefer to have SUV's or Estate car due to nature of my needs

depends on budget... and mentality of the person... I will never buy a new car in UK, unless I win a lottery....
second hand cars in Uk are excellent value, unlike India... and you get little or no issues...
Nothing of that sort in UK... We don't live in a desert like UAE so the car hardly gets dirty. We don't live in a boiling temperate like you, so we only need to use AC for couple of times per year. But I got your point but see my budget is restraining me to be stingy and sometimes we have to take decision after estimating the weight of our pocket
Yes, may be my opinion reflects the conditions that I face in the desert that I live in.
Here the cars need to be in excellent condition, one, because we travel long distances very often, and two,because it gets very hot here.
I have to even keep a track of the performance of my tyres often.

Anyways all the best with ur purchase. :tup:

Yes, may be my opinion reflects the conditions that I face in the desert that I live in.
Here the cars need to be in excellent condition, one, because we travel long distances very often, and two,because it gets very hot here.
I have to even keep a track of the performance of my tyres often.

Anyways all the best with ur purchase. :tup:
See the car like this... nobody even bought it for £1000

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alpha-Rom...bGVsdHu4ly%2FkINJkxyQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

and it does look pretty clean... and I am looking for something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322216520324?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291839557881?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272333874863?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom