What's new

Where is assad?

Vassnti

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Where is Bashar Assad? Silence after bombing fuels rumors

In the wake of a bombing attack that killed at least three senior Syrian officials, the silence of President Bashar Assad spurred furious speculation over his whereabouts and whether the embattled Syrian leader had himself been wounded in the bombing.

The Wednesday blast struck a meeting of Cabinet and security officials, killing top officials including the defense minister and his deputy, a brother-in-law of Assad.

That the rebels could target and kill such high-ranking officials is likely to have stunned Assad, as it did outside observers. In an interview with The Times, a senior Obama administration official who was not authorized to speak publicly said it was “extraordinary” that the Free Syrian Army had gotten to Assad’s brother-in-law, calling him “one of the most powerful hard-line officials in the country.”

“If I’m some senior regime official and I’m thinking about my future, this would weigh on me,” the Obama administration official said.

The fact that Assad made no public statement about such a devastating attack quickly fueled rumors that the president himself had been injured or killed.

High level meeting like this you would perhaps expect assad to also have been present, perhaps not enough time to make an anouncement but perhaps a little suprising he has yet to make a statement on the bombing.

You heard of something called WEBCAM. Alasad doesn't have to make an announcement regarding this, the ministry of defense does it

You heard of something called WEBCAM. Alasad doesn't have to make an announcement regarding this, the ministry of defense does it

Mate noose is tightening around his neck, whether Al-Assad will be killed or the only country dare to give him refuge is Russia. In my he has two options either being killed inside Syria or to runaway to Russia. Even already isolated Iran would not give him refuge.

Mate noose is tightening around his neck, whether Al-Assad will be killed or the only country dare to give him refuge is Russia. In my he has two options either being killed inside Syria or to runaway to Russia. Even already isolated Iran would not give him refuge.

wasting time and money defending a tyrant.

Bashar_al-Assad-under-pressure-cartoon-249x300.gif

Reuters reporting he is supposedly in Lattakia.

]

Good choice, harbour for a fast boat to Cyprus, airport for a quick flight to Moscow surrounded by Alawites perhaps those that cheer every time a village is shelled want to start planning their escape routes? Once assad runs things are going to change very rapidly.

The new minister taking the constitutional oath in front of Alasad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still can't take sides about what's happening in Syria. Here are a few things about Assad or not which are in my mind for months..
1) Assad comes from a minority religious community, ruling a majority, in a dynastic, despotic rule.
2) Minorities would rather have Assad then the FSA; that speaks volumes about Assad's treatment and respect for the minority. It is not trivial in the context of the Middle Eastern undemocratic culture.
3) Anti-Assad forces have support of the more conservative Pakistanis in this forum. Sure, some 'liberal' also support the rebels but some of these conservative Pakistanis are only a couple of notches better than the Talibans. I find their views and values dangerous. They probably are wishing for another radicalized Sunni ruled Syria.
4) THE primary fault of Assad is that he is not willing to give up the Golan Heights to Israel. And why should he? But Assad has chosen to involve Iran's help to try to get some leverage against Israel. That, and the cardinal sin of having supported Hezbollah to dent the Israeli-invincibility myth in 2006 has made Assad the #1 target for the West.
5) Assad's cozying-up to Iran has angered the Arab countries led by Saudi Arabia. Another cardinal sin by Assad.
6) The weaker Assad gets the more the chances of starting a war against Iran. Do we want that?
7) If and when the FSA army take over then a very likely repeat of Libya going to happen. Another Western/Arab proxy govt. accepting Israel's dominance and annexation of the Golan Height.
8) Post-Assad the poor minorities in Syria must worry. Already the presence of suicide bombers in anti-Assad rebels should tell you what Assad is against.

On the whole, if I were to pick a side, I'd say that somehow if Assad is to stay then there should be more freedom and democracy. But it is hard for me to conceive a better Syria or a more powerful Palestinian-cause if the rebels win.

I think Assad will go nowhere, and FSA has no chance to beat him if there is no No-fly zone from NATO.

And i think the best way is to let Assad to give his power to a Sunni member of his regime, then this will keep both Sunni and Shia happy, but no more bloody Libyan model for sure. :coffee:

I think Assad will go nowhere, and FSA has no chance to beat him if there is no No-fly zone from NATO.

And i think the best way is to let Assad to give his power to a Sunni member of his regime, then this will keep both Sunni and Shia happy, but no more bloody Libyan model for sure. :coffee:

Time gone to hand over power to some Sunni member from his regime, most of them left and join the revolution or keeping them out of this mess. His ego will cause wide spread violence against his Alawite sect after he will go. Now he can just fight or fly to Iran or Russia, leave his sect unprotected.

In 1998, Bashar took charge of Syria's Lebanon file, which had since the 1970s been handled by former Vice President Abdul Khaddam, one of the few Sunni officials in the Assad government, who had until then been a potential contender for president.

By this you can see how much Assad family was power hungry, they never wanted any Sunni to rule country.

I still can't take sides about what's happening in Syria. Here are a few things about Assad or not which are in my mind for months..
1) Assad comes from a minority religious community, ruling a majority, in a dynastic, despotic rule.
2) Minorities would rather have Assad then the FSA; that speaks volumes about Assad's treatment and respect for the minority. It is not trivial in the context of the Middle Eastern undemocratic culture.
3) Anti-Assad forces have support of the more conservative Pakistanis in this forum. Sure, some 'liberal' also support the rebels but some of these conservative Pakistanis are only a couple of notches better than the Talibans. I find their views and values dangerous. They probably are wishing for another radicalized Sunni ruled Syria.
4) THE primary fault of Assad is that he is not willing to give up the Golan Heights to Israel. And why should he? But Assad has chosen to involve Iran's help to try to get some leverage against Israel. That, and the cardinal sin of having supported Hezbollah to dent the Israeli-invincibility myth in 2006 has made Assad the #1 target for the West.
5) Assad's cozying-up to Iran has angered the Arab countries led by Saudi Arabia. Another cardinal sin by Assad.
6) The weaker Assad gets the more the chances of starting a war against Iran. Do we want that?
7) If and when the FSA army take over then a very likely repeat of Libya going to happen. Another Western/Arab proxy govt. accepting Israel's dominance and annexation of the Golan Height.
8) Post-Assad the poor minorities in Syria must worry. Already the presence of suicide bombers in anti-Assad rebels should tell you what Assad is against.

On the whole, if I were to pick a side, I'd say that somehow if Assad is to stay then there should be more freedom and democracy. But it is hard for me to conceive a better Syria or a more powerful Palestinian-cause if the rebels win.

Syrians are revolting because they want the Assads ousted and Bathism finished, NOT because the Palestinians. Also, Bashar and his father are the worst thing that happened to Palestinians, they massacred thousands in refuge camps, Syria has not fired a single bullet on Israel to retake Golan Heights, which everyone knows is used as an excuse to pretend to be an enemy of Israel that its own media call Bashar "Israel's king" Not to mention how Israel many times bombed Syrian military sites without a single retaliation.

Syrians are revolting because they want the Assads ousted and Bathism finished, NOT because the Palestinians. Also, Bashar and his father are the worst thing that happened to Palestinians, they massacred thousands in refuge camps, Syria has not fired a single bullet on Israel to retake Golan Heights, which everyone knows is used as an excuse to pretend to be an enemy of Israel that its own media call Bashar "Israel's king" Not to mention how Israel many times bombed Syrian military sites without a single retaliation.

So in other words, secularism ousted and radical Islam imposed like in the other Arab states?

Back
Top Bottom