What's new

When coterminous Pakistan fought Alexander the Great and almost brought him down to his knees.

Please read.

I have, AFAIK he was descended from the Puru tribe of the Vedic people and he ruled over northern Punjab, with his territory mostly in Pakistan.

Also, sub-continental sources aren't the most reliable.

Also, sub-continental sources aren't the most reliable.

Exactly.

Have you ever heard of a Hindu called Porus?

Porus (and its Old Avestan more formal version Porushasp) have been Persian boy names for closing on 3500 years now.

Even today there are many Porus Parsi males. One in my family.

Have you ever heard of a Hindu Porus?

Why?

Should they not be naming their boys after arguably their only international military hero?

Please read Greek and Roman sources. Arrian being the most widely accepted and quoted. They are the most accurate. As they were the adversaries.

Read John D Clare.

Cheers, Doc

Exactly.

Have you ever heard of a Hindu called Porus?

Porus (and its Old Avestan more formal version Porushasp) have been Persian boy names for closing on 3500 years now.

Even today there are many Porus Parsi males. One in my family.

Have you ever heard of a Hindu Porus?

Why?

Should they not be naming their boys after arguably their only international military hero?

Please read Greek and Roman sources. They are the most accurate. As they were the adversaries.

Cheers, Doc

Except Puru was the name of a Vedic tribe, Porus could easily be related to them.

Read Arrian.

Read John D Clare.

The troops and elephants were Indian no doubt.

Cheers, Doc

Maybe, if I get the time.

Troops were Pothwari, but yes the elephants would have been Hindustani (elephants are not native to Pakistan AFAIK).

Maybe, if I get the time.

Troops were Pothwari, but yes the elephants would have been Hindustani (elephants are not native to Pakistan AFAIK).

Baba in those days there were two mega civilizations abutting each other.

The Hindu civilization. The Persian civilization.

The Indus Valley Civilization itself was an amalgam of highland Iranic people coming down and mingling with Indic plains dwellers and herdsmen.

This is now borne out by recent genetic studies.

Persian satrapy extended significantly into what is now Pakistan.

The Vedic Puru tribe itself are close cousins of the early Avestan Aryans.

The Mahabharata for all intents and purposes speaks of the later continuum of the schism between the two. The Ahura (Asura) worshippers and the Deva (Daeva) worshippers. Even though the account is primarily Indic (The War of the Ten Kings).

Cheers, Doc

Baba in those days there were two mega civilizations abutting each other.

The Hindu civilization. The Persian civilization.

The Indus Valley Civilization itself was an amalgam of highland Iranic people coming down and mingling with Indic plains dwellers and herdsmen.

This is now borne out by recent genetic studies.

The Vedic Puru tribe itself are close cousins of the early Avestan Aryans.

The Mahabharata for all intents and purposes speaks of the later continuum of the schism between the two. The Ahura (Asura) worshippers and the Deva (Daeva) worshippers. Even though the account is primarily Indic (The War of the Ten Kings).

Cheers, Doc

Please don't call me Baba, I'm almost certain I'm younger than you.

We don't know the ethno-linguistic group of IVC, but they were not Indo-Aryans (they came about during the Vedic migrations) nor Iranic people (they came about during other Aryan migrations). They could have been related to the ancestors of many Iranic people though and were almost certainly the ancestors of many Indo-Aryan people today.

I'd like to see those genetic studies.

Yes, the early Vedic people were related to the nearby Iranic people. In fact, Sanskrit was pretty similar to Avestan.

Please don't call me Baba, I'm almost certain I'm younger than you.

We don't know the ethno-linguistic group of IVC, but they were not Indo-Aryans (they came about during the Vedic migrations) nor Iranic people (they came about during other Aryan migrations). They could have been related to the ancestors of many Iranic people though and were almost certainly the ancestors of many Indo-Aryan people today.

I'd like to see those genetic studies.

Yes, the early Vedic people were related to the nearby Iranic people. In fact, Sanskrit was pretty similar to Avestan.

Baba is what we call little boys.

Cultural thing.

The IVC thing was a discussion I had with Joe recently.

Personally, I believe that the IVC was more bronze age Iranic than Indic. The bull. The priest. The open air burial pits. Joe disagreed (partially) and pulled some back for his own team. I respect Joe and his grasp of history, so ...

@Joe Shearer

Cheers, Doc

Baba in those days there were two mega civilizations abutting each other. The Hindu civilization. The Persian civilization.

Which "Hindu" civilization are you referring to? The Persian Zoroastrian Civilization and the Indus Vedic Civilization were not abutting each other, they got along just fine because both faiths were essentially from a common religion and culture from Central Asia.

The problem was with the Puranic Hindus of the Ganges Plain and the Bharatas who abandoned the Indus Valley and Vedic faith to create their own religion, from which the Puranas, Manusmirti, Ramayana, Mahabharata were written. These are all Gangetic texts and the faith they created (modern Hinduism/Brahmanism) has nothing to do with the Vedic faith whatsoever. Rather it's a mix of Vedic and indigenous Dravidian religions, which is what today Hinduism is dominated by. They hated the Indus Vedics...called them Mlecha and called the Indus Valley "Vahika Desa"....the Indus was considered "unholy land" according to the Puranic Hindus. Similarly, the Rig Veda held similar injunctions against the Ganges....referring to those people as Dasyus and the land Dasyuvarta.

This is why I laugh when Puranic Hindus talk about "Aryavarta"...a mythical land that never existed, just like Akhand Bharat.

If the Vedic people were still around today and visited India, they'd probably get lynched by Hindutava mobs. Vedics ate beef, buried their dead and had a non-hierarchical caste system. The Vedic faith and Zorastrian faith were very common...if anything the Avestans of Persia and Vedics of the Indus were cousins.

"Indic" is linguistic...the term you should be using is INDUS...and that's right, the early ancient Iranians migrated east and their ancestors founded Mehrgarh, which eventually formed the Indus Valley (Harappan) Civilization.

There is no such thing as "Persian Satrapy". The term Satrapy refers to Province...there were 5 Satrapy in the Indus Valley.

~Gandhara Satrapy~
Established: 518 BC
Capital: Pushkalavati (Charsadda)
Gandhara Satrapy was established in the general region of the old Gandhara Vedic Kingdom (modern-day northern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa). During Achaemenid rule, the Kharosthi alphabet, derived from the one used for Aramaic (the official language of Achaemenids), developed here and remained the national script of Gandhara until 200 AD.

~Hindush Satrapy~
Established: 518 BC
Capital: Taxila
Hindush Satrapy was established in upper Punjab (presumably in the Potohar plateau).

~Arachosia Satrapy~
Established: 517 BC
Capital: Kandahar
Arachosia Satrapy was one of the larger provinces covering much of lower Punjab, southern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Helmand.The inhabitants of Arachosia referred to as Paktyans by ethnicity, and that name may have been in reference to the ethnic Pax̌tūn (Pashtun) tribes.

~Sattagydia Satrapy~
Established: 516 BC
Capital: Unknown
Modern day regions: Sindh
Sattagydia is mentioned for the first time in the Behistun inscription of Darius the Great as one of the provinces in revolt while the king was in Babylon. The revolt was presumably suppressed in 515 BC. The satrapy disappears from sources after 480 BC, possible being mentioned by another name or included with other regions.

~Gedrosia (or Maka) Satrapy~
Established: 542 BC
Capital: Unknown
Gedrosia Satrapy (or Maka Satrapy) covered the Makran coast of southern Balochistan. It had been conquered much earlier by Cyrus The Great during the 1st attempt takeover the Indus Valley.

Purshottam the Great , what is Porus? Calling him Porus is an insult to Purshottam the Great. People should address him by his real name.

We call him Porus. Foreign names are not needed. Paorsohomishoeosho whatever is probably from some Gangetic Trash text.

Back
Top Bottom