What's new

What will the new PM of India do to improve relations with Italy?

We don't give a damn to a third rate country like Italy.

Maybe some Peon in MEA will be incharge & take care of relations with Italy, Modi is too busy a man for Italy.

Well, Italy is not so unimportant. - India is Italy's fifth largest trading partner in the EU and The volume of bilateral trade during 2011 has reached Euro 8521.71 million. The exports from India reached Euro 4781.62 million, an increase of 25.06% in comparison to 2010.

Balance of trade has been in India's favour since 1988.

The general view about india was quite positive in italy. This has dramatical changed in the last months. The bitter case about our two marines poisoned the relationship. The indian embassy is bombarded with thousands of hate mail each day and even a bullet was put in their post box recently. India is portrayed as an evil 3rd world banana republic in our media and mentioned in one sentence with regimes like Iran and North Korea.
I remember two years ago when you switched on our educational TV channel you saw documentations about nature of India, history, improvments in social projects and so on. This has changed completly. All you see in TV now is rape cases, barbaric practices and poverty.
Nothing can be more unfortunate than this. The Italian marines were guilty according to the law of the state. If anything let alone the judicial entanglement hampering our diplomatic relationship has forced you to change your perception about India from an ancient country of numerous diversities to a country of rape and poverty, it's a monumental loss; Not just for India but for Italians too.

Deport Vatican agent Sonia Maino and hang those two marines who killed Indian fishermen for fun.
They should be hanged asap.

No, they wont get the death penalty.

The death penalty is reserved for the most brutal acts of murder only. "Simply" shooting two people out of sheer ignorance and negligence is not enough to award somebody with the death penalty in India.

Send Sonia Gandhi back to Italy :lol:

On a serious note I feel India and Italy can and should have a very good relation. The trade opportunities are immense and we would like to improve them. We had made lot of defense related purchases from Italy but I think the corruption scandals have dented that relation. I am sure that you will also agree that while good defense ties are important it should be above corruption. Our new govt is strict about corruption and will not be hesitant in black listing firms. That being said legitimate firms with good products will always be welcome.

The Italian Marines case was a diplomatic train wreck as you correctly mentioned but now the case is being monitored by the Supreme Court and we will like an early resolution of the same. We will not do any witch hunt but if it is genuine we will not back track from legal issues.

Overall I think the relations will surely improve once little wrinkles are sorted out

Exactly and considering current situation of Italian economy, they will be benefited more if the trade increases.

So India got a new PM and media here wonder what he will do to better the relations between Italy and India.

It is a well known fact that india and italy shared friendly relations for more than 100 years. Italy was the nation that opened the EU for india and which allowed india acess to the market here.

Italy was the first western nation that did chose india to send a commercial satellite (AGILE) into space which opened the indian spaceprogram into commercial service.

The general view about india was quite positive in italy. This has dramatical changed in the last months. The bitter case about our two marines poisoned the relationship. The indian embassy is bombarded with thousands of hate mail each day and even a bullet was put in their post box recently. India is portrayed as an evil 3rd world banana republic in our media and mentioned in one sentence with regimes like Iran and North Korea.

I remember two years ago when you switched on our educational TV channel you saw documentations about nature of India, history, improvments in social projects and so on. This has changed completly. All you see in TV now is rape cases, barbaric practices and poverty.

I see this as unfortunate and i hope that indians also see this curent status as unnatural and bad. Both our nations made mistakes in this diplomatic train wreck and i would like to know what steps should be done that this can be solved so both nations can be happy and go back to normal behavior.

Do you think whatever the opinion is formed in Italy about India will change our Law of Land.

The marines have committed murder, they should be hanged until death & they will.

I really don care for a debt ridden country like Italy. Its time it is removed from G8.
Sonia can be sent back, this is what India can do.! I really cant imagine the reaction of Westerners if Indian Navy had did the same to their fishermens.

Well, Italy is not so unimportant. - India is Italy's fifth largest trading partner in the EU and The volume of bilateral trade during 2011 has reached Euro 8521.71 million. The exports from India reached Euro 4781.62 million, an increase of 25.06% in comparison to 2010.

Balance of trade has been in India's favour since 1988.

Good.

May the trade and surplus increase even further.

27717-Zelda-Abandon-thread-gif-LwhD.gif

So India got a new PM and media here wonder what he will do to better the relations between Italy and India.

It is a well known fact that india and italy shared friendly relations for more than 100 years. Italy was the nation that opened the EU for india and which allowed india acess to the market here.

Italy was the first western nation that did chose india to send a commercial satellite (AGILE) into space which opened the indian spaceprogram into commercial service.

I see this as unfortunate and i hope that indians also see this curent status as unnatural and bad. Both our nations made mistakes in this diplomatic train wreck and i would like to know what steps should be done that this can be solved so both nations can be happy and go back to normal behavior.

India is not a banana republic and it follows its own course wrt to marines issue. You have to respect the sensitivities involved here regarding the issue. Maybe you should not allow your media to sensationalize this issue and allow it its due course.

P.S. : We don't have blood money concept here like in Pakistan. You can buy your way out like in Raymond Davis case in Pakistan but not in India.

Maybe Modi will send Sonia Gandhi as ambassador :woot:.

That will be double wammy for Italy. :cheesy:

Those marines are killer of Indian Fishermen they deserve death ASAP

This was a mistake to have let it drag on this far. This should have been resolved very early by the government. Those men are soldiers, we are setting an incredibly dangerous precedent for our own soldiers to be prosecuted in foreign courts. This should have been shut down fast very early on. Now that it is in the courts, if jurisdiction is upheld, the best to hope for is a quick trial & then allow the men to serve out their sentence in an Italian jail.

The recent rift in Indo-Italian diplomatic relations were unfortunate and I sincerely hope that the both of the governments will do the needful to solve that Marines case at the earliest. As far as our Prime Minister is concerned - he is very favorable towards European Union countries including Italy in terms of expansion of economic ties - he even met a delegation led by the Italian Ambassador to India back in November 2013 for the same purpose!

Recent developments in the Marines case:- Italian minister calls up Sushma Swaraj, discusses marines case | Business Standard

Wasn't Modi the one who had been asking the government during election rallies why those two Italian Marines are not in Jail?

On a serious note, the Marines will be convicted for unintentional homicide and will be sent back to Italy to serve the sentence. Win-Win for both countries.

Back
Top Bottom