What's new

What kind of local governors do we need in China?

AndrewJin

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
Preface

He is a highly controversial mayor in China.
He is hated by many people, especially those outside the city he served.
He is loved by more people, especially those from the city he served.

The story was about the years when he served as the mayor of the city of Datong, one of China's most polluted cities, the capital of coal mines, the ancient capital of Wei Dynasty, a city on the verge of collapse because of poverty, pollution and unemployment.

Mayor of Datong, Shanxi Province
2008-2013

屏幕快照 2016-09-22 19.19.26.png

Before I get to the main topic, let us first watch the video of Datong in 2012.

This is the video about the day when local citizens demonstrated upon hearing the news he would be soon promoted to be the mayor of the capital city of the province (Taiyuan City).
They shouted, "Mayor Geng, stay! People of Datong need you!".

"Geng Yanbo, come back!"

xin_03310070610509372513510.jpg

A controversial documentary about a controversial politician

This documentary is very rare, I think it is the first of such kinds of depicting what a mayor's real life and work is in China.
I can only find some links of English trailers.

There are a lot of reports and articles about this documentary.
Here are some links,

VIFF: Fascinating documentary explores challenges of local Chinese government officialTrue/False Film Festival 2015: The Chinese Mayor, Finders Keepers, & Rules of the Game
Manufacturing China’s Future

I am not here to judge whether his opposition is legit or not.
I have never been to Datong or any city of Shanxi Province.
To me, it is a place of pollution, coal mines, ancient glory, and uncharacteristic cities.
I'd like to hear from you, especially members from China, what is your anticipation of Chinese mayors of your hometown?

97ece5cd7b899e5185cbbf8e45a7d933c9950dfd.jpg.png
ada50c2442a7d93346ed61e9aa4bd11372f001fd.jpg.png

Datong's old town Today
230937y66eyk00ermzzkz0.jpg

103517jmbzgqg4buo7on4u.jpg

From my respective as a citizen of the city of Wuhan

Similarly, we have a very "bold" mayor (or CPC secretary of Wuhan) here.

Mr. Ruan Chengfa.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruan_Chengfa

He is dubbed as “满城挖”, or "digs all over town."

Quote from wiki
To this, Ruan responded, "I'm not scared of people calling me 'Manchengwa'. If we're not doing construction, we are doing a disservice to the city."

Likewise, the majority of citizens of Wuhan highly praise him and his team. Unlike his predecessor who was afraid to "do things", he is someone to get things done regardless of the opposition from the vested class, interest groups, lobbyists, and those who have illegal housing and add more floors for excessive financial compensation during the acquisition of land.

The process is indeed painful, frankly speaking.
Hundreds of civil projects are ongoing at the same time, schools, hospitals, subways (10+), intercity HSRs, elevated roads and flyovers, redevelopment of slums, high-tech zones, etc.
It is understandable people can feel angry sometimes.

But he is still, the only mayor citizens of Wuhan have ever highly praised and endorsed.
He is ambitious to transform from "the big county", a name former PM gave Wuhan (thanks to his predecessors), to an international high-tech hub on par with Shenzhen.

Wuhan today

They still want him back
Datong citizens: come back!
Taiyuang citizens: stay!

Back to Datong, Mayor Gengs' legacy is well preserved.
The city has totally transformed to a different ecological city regardless what critics are mumbling. GDP growth of 2015 was 9%, pipeline gas reached 98.6% families, unemployment rate decreased to 3%, income growth reached 8%, number of vehicles increased by 11.3%.

http://www.shanxigov.cn/gzsj/tjgb/201605/t20160511_122306.shtml

I visited the Baidu topic bar of Mayor Geng (Baidu topic bar is similar to a small online forum, everyone can create a bar on a certain topic. For example, we have a Baidu topic bar exclusively on Pakistan, on the family name of "Jin", on the city of Shanghai, etc), I found there were 202704 comments by 6pm 22rd Sep. 2016. You can read threads in which they post new images of Datong or Taiyuang, netizens of Datong vs Taiyuang (the city he serves now) fighting for him to serve for them, Datong citizens sending local cuisine to Mayor Geng in Taiyuan, etc.

http://tieba.baidu.com/f?ie=utf-8&fr=bks0000&kw=耿彦波

3105b37eca80653883e8bc159fdda144ad348248.jpg

The city of Taiyuan, capital of Shanxi Province
(since 2013, the mayor is Geng Yanbo)

@Götterdämmerung @Godman @Star Wars @StarCraft_ZT @Kaptaan @waz @Gibbs @Species @Lure @anant_s @Bussard Ramjet @Ankit Kumar 002 @PARIKRAMA @PARIKRAMA @Echo_419 @Danish saleem @PaklovesTurkiye @AViet @xiao qi @kaykay @kecho @Viet @LA se Karachi @Two @pzkilo @alarabi @oprih @Malik Abdullah @T-123456 @maximuswarrior @cranwerkhan @bbccdd1470 @Three_Kingdoms @Brainsucker @simple Brain @X-2. @Taygibay @Arsalan @shah1398 @muhammadali233 @Jf Thunder @Talwar e Pakistan @911 @Cherokee @liall @IsaacNewton @Levina @maximuswarrior @Arbiter @yesboss @Mista @kaykay @unbiasedopinion @Shakuni & Ravan @grey boy 2 @Jlaw @bolo @faithfulguy @Maira La @T-Rex @UKBengali @Odysseus @Nilgiri @Aether @Fattyacids @Darmashkian @Kaptaan @kadamba-warrior @Clutch @egodoc222 @AZADPAKISTAN2009 @Sky lord @faithfulguy @Zibago @saiyan0321 @el che @Mugwop @S.U.R.B. @Rasengan @xiao qi @Dungeness @ahtan_china @endyashainin @vostok @senheiser @kankan326 @Zulkarneyn @el che @thesolar65 @third eye @Desi_Guy @Three_Kingdoms @Brainsucker @Anjo @DoTell @proud_indian @my2cents @Reashot Xigwin @Cherokee @SouI @Max Pain @maximuswarrior @Levina @fitpOsitive @Doyalbaba @BDforever @TheTheoryOfMilitaryLogistics @Cossack25A1 @OrionHunter @rott @Anjo @Abba_Dabba_Jabba @Areesh @Huan @RISING SUN @Dungeness @PaklovesTurkiye @Dandpatta @KRAIT @anas_nurhafidz @Fallen King @Two @Huan @Kaptaan @coffee_cup @MilSpec @Cherokee @el che @hellfire @randomradio @grey boy 2 @Fattyacids @ChineseTiger1986 @Chinese Bamboo et al

Last edited:
Malaysian member of parliament can brag they have 5 jobs. China mayor job have barely any time.
It's true.
The city mayors, county mayors, town mayors (or CPC secretary) in China are working crazily.....
I know that because one of my father's roommates in college is the mayor of a county in rural Hunan Province....
We visited his family one year and stayed at his home, he only showed up for once after 9pm during our 3-day visit......
Most of the time he was inspecting projects or in another city to attract investment....

catchpic%2F8%2F81%2F81150C1F7560F1DAFD7832A2299E2807.jpg

Last edited:
It's true.
They city mayors, county mayors, town mayors (or CPC secretary) in China are working crazily.....
I know that because one of my father' roommates in college is the mayor of a county in rural Hunan Province....
We visited his family one year and stayed at his home, he only showed for once after 9pm during our 3-day visit......
Most of the time he was inspecting projects or in another city to attract investment....

View attachment 336772
There is a difference between a bureaucrat and a politician. Short fall of democratic society. Project got problem just blame other people not own self.

There is a difference between a bureaucrat and a politician. Short fall of democratic society. Project got problem just blame other people not own self.
Who is responsible for attracting investment in a democracy?
If a project fails, who should be blamed?

Who is responsible for attracting investment in a democracy?
If a project fails, who should be blamed?
Probably the equivalent of the head of county level, compare to the mayor of Datong, the amount of of his involvement is minimal and his signature. If project fail blame contractor. Oversight is very poor.

basically a governor that gets the job done. where people can see improvements in his district, not just on PAPER . This guy seem to be pretty good at what he does. I don't know if the translation is accurate but I like the "this guy look honest, but he's full of tricky ideas!"

"if you can't get the job done, I will get someone else to do it."

:tup:

Malaysian member of parliament can brag they have 5 jobs. China mayor job have barely any time.
how would compare a Malay politician vs an indo one?

basically a governor that gets the job done. where people can see improvements in his district, not just on PAPER . This guy seem to be pretty good at what he does. I don't know if the translation is accurate but I like the "this guy look honest, but he's full of tricky ideas!"

Both incompetent and corrupt but Malay have more money to play with.

And it's more than just "getting things done".
He/She also has to think about the long-term benefits.

Think about that, if there is a party in a democracy, speaking for a tiny proportion of people who build illegal housing and ask for Excessive compensation, and coerce the government as if they are the majority and representing the "truth", what would be the repercussions?

We always see in a so-called democracy, a tiny faction speak the loudest and control the discourses of media. The silent majority is nowhere to be seen.

And even sometimes the majority have the biggest control of media and policy making, how to ensure such "majority" to represent the long-term benefits, or just a sense of populist sentiment at the moment?

From the case of Mayor Geng, not just the silent majority speak for him, but also a lot of opponents (also the loudest in the process) speak for him at last. They wanted him to stay! There is no way he could be the mayor of Datong (being the mayor of Taiyuan is a promotion, Taiyuan is a higher-level city), but a lot of citizens in Datong hope he could be the chief advisor when he retires (Chinese politicians have compulsory retirement at certain ages).

Like what he said, history would prove who was right.

His spirit and policy is well preserved.
His projects continue.
Renovation of the palace of Lord Dai
代王府.jpg

Lake in the suburb
大同文瀛湖1.jpg

Public library and basketball stadium in Huairen County (belongs to Datong)
左边鼎状的是图书馆,右后是此次承办比赛的体育馆.jpg

City wall
103500g8yw1yyls2a0xj8y.jpg

231002n2mg12d1pae89g7w.jpg

234134u4eddkdi1e8wdda6.jpg

Before (1980s)
Datong in 1990s-2000s looked pretty much the same....
184311v612cs2f12q27q71.jpg

Last edited:
Think about that, if there is a party in a democracy, speaking for a tiny proportion of people who build illegal housing and ask for Excessive compensation, and coerce the government as if they are the majority and representing the "truth", what would be the repercussions?

We always see in a so-called democracy, a tiny faction speak the loudest and control the discourses of media. The silent majority is nowhere to be seen.

And even sometimes the majority have the biggest control of media and policy making, how to ensure such "majority" to represent the long-term benefits, or just a sense of populist sentiment at the moment?

Good questions.

Populist democracies have the disadvantage of sacrificing long term public interest. with short term private interests. The short terms private interests might not necessarily be the interests of the rich; the poor might as well represent short-sighted private interests.

In Datong documentary, we see exactly that. Poor people campaigning for short-term interests (maintaining their long-accustomed livelihood no matter how underdeveloped and regressive it is).

This probably why Plato warns that democracy might degenerate into tyranny if illogical desires (or populism) take rein.

The Mayor was simply being pragmatic in his long-term calculation of public good and interests.

@TaiShang Your mayor's reaction after watching this documentary in June 2016.....
He said, if watching more documentaries like this people in Taiwan will all flee away...

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom