What's new

What keeps India united?

dravidianhero

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
We Indians don't realise what an accomplishment it is for this country to remain united even after 70 years of independence without many disturbances;for a third world country whose 70 percent of the population could afford hardly two meals a day when it got freedom this is remarkable.

However many internal conflicts there are,we never demanded/demand to get separated from India.There is no country in this entire planet which was as poor as India during independence and even half its size which did not have violent civil wars or people killing each other madly for money.

The crime rate in India is much less when you compare it with the ratio of its population.
So,my question is what keeps us united?I bet no country which was as diverse as India or as poor as it was could keep itself together this long.

Is that because of caste system which assigned works based on birthand solidified it with religious sanctions?

What keeps India United:
Tandoori Chicken, Cheap Whisky, Kingfisher Beer, Holi, Madhuri Dixit, RD Burman,Paav Bhaaji, Masala Dosa, and Panni Puri/Puchka/Gol Gappe.... that's it

Last edited:
We Indians don't realise what an accomplishment it is for this country to remain united even after 70 years of independence without many disturbances;for a third world country whose 70 percent of the population could afford hardly two meals a day when it got freedom this is remarkable.

However many internal conflicts there are,we never demanded/demand to get separated from India.There is no country in this entire planet which was as poor as India during independence and even half its size which did not have violent civil wars or people killing each other madly for money.

The crime rate in India is much less when you compare it with the ratio of its population.
So,my question is what keeps us united?I bet no country which was as diverse as India or as poor as it was could keep itself together this long.

Is that because of caste system which assigned works based on birthand solidified it with religious sanctions?
What keeps any nation united? Shared ideals, a culture of embracing the differences within a society, a national identity, a narrative that the next day will be better than the previous, the belief that all have a voice within society etc etc

It is genuinely remarkable India is as incredibly diverse as it is and yet so united.

Our History keeps us united

We have been disunited in the past and seen the results of that disunity

We have paid a very heavy price of that disunity

Millions of people have been slaughtered
and humiliated as a result of our disunity by barbaric invaders

How is India united...? When i went to India everyone considered them selves according to their ethnicity. Everyone considers them self "jatt","martathi" and ect...

How is India united...? When i went to India everyone considered them selves according to their ethnicity. Everyone considers them self "jatt","martathi" and ect...

That was on a superficial level and for the purpose of their everyday lives
and everyday chores ; tasks and routines

But make no mistake ; Indians are very clear about the NEED
and importance of Unity

On a regional level perhaps (when in India) because it doesn't make sense to say "I'm Indian" INSIDE INDIA but ask them outside of India and the response will be an unequivocal "Indian first everything else is secondary".

It would be like someone asking me in the UK where I was from, I would first tell them about my hometown here in the UK, it would be very odd to state "British" to that question.

Indians love their country so much...no one places their religion or language group above India(some Muslims are exception)...

Nopes, Indian First, Always. Even before religion.

Others nationalities have Nationalism, We have Hyper Nationalism which can be toned down a little.

Can't say about the rest of the subcontinent now called India,but most the hill states of NE are kept "united with India" through sheer military brutality,sexual assaults and HR abuses as weapons of war.

I think what binds Indians is respect to its constitution and its history. Though, we have different religion, race, caste etc we understand the meaning loyalty and love towards nation even though we stay out of the country.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom