What's new

What it's like Driving in Sri Lanka

Look brother I understand your perspective, but every thread lately has been comparison between this countrie or that countrie and I was wrong to single out only yours but you have to admit it is a trend that has been ruining alot of serious debates on this forum and you know what I am talking about. I say one thing negative about indienne and look at the response I get, some even bring up my heritage, which is irrelevant, it was wrong of me to lash out like that though.
look lion dude, i dont understand y wud u say negative things about india on the first place ???.... did any indian start to troll here...no. did any indian tried to boast about their roads....no....
from page 1 to the last there was not a single post where any indian boasted about indian roads and bad mouthed sri lankan roads. in fact, all the guys congratulated that troller for having such good road (and not roads, only one road and see the boastful posts of that guy). now after this what do we get, that lankan troller trashed indian views, insulted us.
u on the other hand, instead to coming to the topic, started out by bashing the indians....now what does that say about you ???? i get that u guys are not given respect by ur more influential neighbours , but u dont need to vent out ur frustration on us indians.

on topic : congrats sri lanka. this is just the beginning. u guys will go far.

More Fun fact :D ......

Wiki says SL 1 and only highway is a 2 lane road (inaugurated in 2012) :P .... and is only 95 km long (33 km still under construction).

Mumbai Pune Highway is 6 lane (existing since 2002) :angel:...........Even state Highways in India is 4 lane :lol:....for get about Nationl Highways like Golden Quadrilateral.

look lion dude, i dont understand y wud u say negative things about india on the first place ???.... did any indian start to troll here...no. did any indian tried to boast about their roads....no....
from page 1 to the last there was not a single post where any indian boasted about indian roads and bad mouthed sri lankan roads. in fact, all the guys congratulated that troller for having such good road (and not roads, only one road and see the boastful posts of that guy). now after this what do we get, that lankan troller trashed indian views, insulted us.
u on the other hand, instead to coming to the topic, started out by bashing the indians....now what does that say about you ???? i get that u guys are not given respect by ur more influential neighbours , but u dont need to vent out ur frustration on us indians.

lion tk is a pakistani in canada :lol:.....stop taking him seriously. Maybe he is a pakistani in pakistan and has put canada flag so that we take him more seriously ....but alas ....a pakistani is a pakistani anywhere and you can smell them a mile off :P

More Fun fact :D ......

Wiki says SL 1 and only highway is a 2 lane road (inaugurated in 2012) :P .... and is only 95 km long (33 km still under construction).

Mumbai Pune Highway is 6 lane (existing since 2002) :angel:...........Even state Highways in India is 4 lane :lol:....for get about Nationl Highways like Golden Quadrilateral.

The highway is 4 lanes and has provision for 6 lanes.

I remember reading a report from the Department of Motor Traffic (Sri-Lanka) regarding the throughput efficiency per lane with widening roads.

It found that maximum throughput efficiency per lane is achieved at 4 lanes (dual carriage). And after 6 lanes, efficiency is no longer at an acceptable level to keep widening further. So a 'secondary traffic corridor' is recommended, better known in Sri lanka as a duplication corridor.

Further it was noted in the report that, safety decreased substantially after 4 lanes, and after 6 lanes the level of risk was not at acceptable level to continue widening the same corridor.

You can see that all traffic corridor's in Sri lanka are designed for 6 lanes including the hard shoulders and break down areas, after which a duplication corridor will need to be built.

from the report acceptable average daily throughput for:
4 lanes = 92,000 Vehicles
6 lanes = 116,000 Vehicles.

Indians dont have much cars as sri lankans, so why build 6 lanes? it is incompetent government.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_vehicles_per_capita

I totally misread the quote earlier, i should've expressed my point in a different way about how we should congrajulate others without comparing our countrie. Sinhala felt proud about his countrie and it diminishes the achievement, when we compare to some other countrie like how people on this forum never take canada seriously and call it even the 51st state. I should've not lost my cool and should've been civil however the response I got did shock me however I will accept my share of blame.

I kind of could relate to sinhala because everything canada ever accomplishes, the yanks always say, been there and done that and I did not want Sinhala to feel the same attitude we canadienne get. Its sucks being the minnow sometimes eh!!!!

I apologize if i have hurt your feelings in the beginning,but you are right, even i feel frustrated that the discussion are ruined by trolls, every thread gets ruined, it's not just Indian members, when ever there is a thread about Indian development, i see Pakistani and Chinese members posting offensive posts and derailing the entire thread, its not just about Pakistani or Chinese members, there are some Singaporean, Malaysian,Indonesian, Taiwanese who constantly keep derailing the thread.

one thing i have understood is that, this forum is made up of imbeciles and fools, there is no limit to stupidity on this forum, so, you won't see any kind of honest and mature discussion anywhere.it would be better to ignore the fools and utilize our time in engaging with those who make sense.good luck.

thanks for the response, no your completely right, the problem affects every facet of the forum to a certain degree and we all want to get back at the person. I have noticed that I have become somewhat negative in only 2 months and possibly might have a bias again inde members possibly :) (magic of this forum), can't remember which member called Canada a 51st state and that really stuck with me , i would be lieing though I should probably get a thicker skin and not lash out like that :0

It found that maximum throughput efficiency per lane is achieved at 4 lanes (dual carriage). And after 6 lanes, efficiency is no longer at an acceptable level to keep widening further.

You mean the more crowded the highway gets ...the more efficient it appears :lol:

You can see that all traffic corridor's in Sri lanka are designed for 6 lanes including the hard shoulders and break down areas, after which a duplication corridor will need to be built.

...you have only one 95 km road.....there is no 6 lane road in SL. Stop lying ...its embarrassing :devil:

Indians dont have much cars as sri lankans, so why build 6 lanes? it is incompetent government.

...You mean we should build smaller and narrow road like SL to appear competent ? :rofl:

I totally misread the quote earlier, i should've expressed my point in a different way about how we should congrajulate others without comparing our countrie. Sinhala felt proud about his countrie and it diminishes the achievement, when we compare to some other countrie like how people on this forum never take canada seriously and call it even the 51st state. I should've not lost my cool and should've been civil however the response I got did shock me however I will accept my share of blame.

I kind of could relate to sinhala because everything canada ever accomplishes, the yanks always say, been there and done that and I did not want Sinhala to feel the same attitude we canadienne get. Its sucks being the minnow sometimes eh!!!!

thanks for the response, no your completely right, the problem affects every facet of the forum to a certain degree and we all want to get back at the person. I have noticed that I have become somewhat annoyed and possibly might have a bias again indienne, can't remember someone called Canada a 51st state, and yes your right in some ways or another we are all part of the problem.

Yes the but the difference is, the US higher income, higher road density, higher number of vehicle owners vs Canada

Sri lanka has higher income, higher road density, higher number of vehicle owners vs india.

How they can they compare concrete roads with big cracks in it, built by an incompetent government that is as safe in wet weather as playing Russian roulette to sri lanka's world class roads.

You mean the more crowded the highway gets ...the more efficient it appears :lol:

...you have only one 95 km road.....there is no 6 lane road in SL. Stop lying ...its embarrassing :devil:

...You mean we should build smaller and narrow road like SL to appear competent ? :rofl:

Indians roads are by far the narrowest on the subcontinent, What is your lane width? you know lanes in SL are 3.75 metres? international standard. What is your lane width?
http://www.scribd.com/doc/46838114/Effect-of-Lane-Width-on-Capacity-under-Mixed-Traffic

:rofl: :rofl: indian roads are 2.5 meters width

And you do realize sri lanka has more expressways than India? india has 600km of expressways. For india to have the same length as sri lanka, you need over 6000km of expressways LOL
where is your 600km? you live in one part of india need to drive 4 days to get on the expressway :rofl:

Yes the but the difference is, the US higher income, higher road density, higher number of vehicle owners vs Canada

Sri lanka has higher income, higher road density, higher number of vehicle owners vs india.

How they can they compare concrete roads with big cracks in it, built by an incompetent government that is as safe as playing Russian roulette to sri lanka's world class roads.

Brother I know your proud of sri lankas achievement no doubt, however we should look beyond just simply comparing countries vs countries, we have to all learn from each others positives not focus on negatives. Inde is on a different playing field simple as that and you will have to accknowledge that unless you think you can catch up. I am going offtopic but its better to not be negative since lets be honest your sitting next to a giant and I am sure they are ahead in some categories as a logical assumption.

Brother I know your proud of sri lankas achievement no doubt, however we should look beyond just simply comparing countries vs countries, we have to all learn from each others positives not focus on negatives. Inde is on a different playing field simple as that and you will have to accknowledge that unless you think you can catch up. I am going offtopic but its better to not be negative since lets be honest your sitting next to a giant and I am sure they are ahead in some categories as a logical assumption.

Name one category :lol:

That country with a literacy rate of 60% and barely have electricity comes no way near close. :partay:

This concrete road with big cracks in it with flawed signage is nothing compared to SL.

Golden Quadrilateral has length of over 5,846 km, with 4000km being dirt track. lol. just because you draw a line a on map doesn't make it a road.

FACEPALM!
You moron first come out of your 2x2 island before you start commenting on how roads are made. Across the world concrete is used to make multi lane highways. Here is a timelapse of I-15 from LA to Las Vegas. Watch from 30 secs onwards.

And We had a 6 lane 100 Kms expressway since the last one decade which is still superior to the 4 lane road you have shown. It is called the Mumbai - Pune Expressway.

One highway you guys have and you are flying all over the place. My God.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indians roads are by far the narrowest on the subcontinent, What is your lane width? you know lanes in SL are 3.75 metres? international standard. What is your lane width?
Effect of Lane Width on Capacity under Mixed Traf

:rofl: :rofl: indian roads are 2.5 meters width

And you do realize sri lanka has more expressways than India? india has 600km of expressways. For india to have the same length as sri lanka, you need over 6000km of expressways LOL
where is your 600km? you live in one part of india need to drive 4 days to get on the expressway :rofl:

Typical nouveau riche behaviour. Just because a 33km strecth of you highway is built to international specification doesn't mean all your roads are. And this is a defence forum, not highway construction forum.

FWIW the new expressways in India are also being built to international specifications,

For example, the Yamuna Expressway,

213qh6p.jpg

Technical Specifications of the Yamuna Expressway Project | Yamuna Expressway Industrial Development Authority

its a refreshing change in this forum when someone owns up to his own mistake, however small it might be. thank you for this.
its also fine that sinhala felt proud of his country's achievement, but i feel that some humility on his part wud have been more welcome. u can see from his posts how he shows indiaz dirty roads, poor ppl who cant afford cars etc etc. its not very welcome.
and about the yanks, dont you worry mate, their ballooning pride will cause their downfall one day. so dont give a $h*t about what others say. defend ur honor with the tenacity of a lion and the yanks will appreciate u for that one day.

FACEPALM!
You moron first come out of your 2x2 island before you start commenting on how roads are made. Across the world concrete is used to make multi lane highways. Here is a timelapse of I-15 from LA to Las Vegas. Watch from 30 secs onwards.

And We had a 6 lane 100 Kms expressway since the last one decade which is still superior to the 4 lane road you have shown. It is called the Mumbai - Pune Expressway.

One highway you guys have and you are flying all over the place. My God.

Regarding YE technical specs.

(15.7-5.1)/3 =3.5 :rofl: you call this 'international standard'

international standard is 3.75 meters. And the road is concrete nothing compare with us.

IMO US interstates are built to a substandard condition compared to the SL expressways. US interstates driving surface is the raw concrete base, whereas here, second Asphalt/bitumen layer is applied with a strict particle size controlled. Further, US interstates, do not give any regard, crown gradients, cant angles, beam lighting distances. All expressways here, have constant controlled crown gradient, which means when it rains a maximum 3mm thick water layer will form. When the road takes curve, not only does the road follow the transition curves, the lateral road surface also banks to maintain contact pressures from the tires at a normals to the surface plane. Also various other calculation are done, which account a minimum beam distance of 4 seconds must be visible at all times, the beam height must not exceed 1.15 meters (I.e incoming beam wont hit the drivers of the other vehicle straight in the eye), And minimum 200 mm thick boulder can be located at any point on the road surface and the driver has to be able to stop with the maximum stopping distances allowable by law.
Going by the link below a 4 laned interstate road in the US costs ~$5.5 million USD per km. In SL a 4 laned expressway costs range from $12 millionUSD to $57 millionUSD per km; depending on the soil conditions.
ftp://ftp.***.state.fl.us/LTS/CO/Est...PM/summary.pdf
Road you see in the video I posted above, is $11.1 millionUSD per km; The CKE costs $12.5 millionUSD per km; The Colombo outer circular ring road costs $57 million USD per km. That's just basic construction costs, doesn't include other major costs such as for the police force + maintenance costs (the Bitumen is resurfaced every 7 years). I have to mention the maintenance costs are colossal, you can see in the video, RDA workers at various sections, cutting grass and cleaning road signs on top of that, the road surface is surveyed every 6 months if it falls below the acceptable standard its resurfaced. This section of expressway is barely 3 years old, and already 8000 meters have been resurfaced, well before the 7 year guarantee on the bitumen.

LOL india go home you have nothing to compare with us :rofl: no need to compare you, comparing with US is enough :lol:

Survey vehicles

vg1p8k.jpg

2ywhcox.jpg

5uohf9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding YE technical specs.

(15.7-5.1)/3 =3.5 :rofl: you call this 'international standard'

international standard is 3.75 meters. And the road is concrete nothing compare with us.

IMO US interstates are built to a substandard condition compared to the SL expressways. US interstates driving surface is the raw concrete base, whereas here, second Asphalt/bitumen layer is applied with a strict particle size controlled. Further, US interstates, do not give any regard, crown gradients, cant angles, beam lighting distances. All expressways here, have constant controlled crown gradient, which means when it rains a maximum 3mm thick water layer will form. When the road takes curve, not only does the road follow the transition curves, the lateral road surface also banks to maintain contact pressures from the tires at a normals to the surface plane. Also various other calculation are done, which account a minimum beam distance of 4 seconds must be visible at all times, the beam height must not exceed 1.15 meters (I.e incoming beam wont hit the drivers of the other vehicle straight in the eye), And minimum 200 mm thick boulder can be located at any point on the road surface and the driver has to be able to stop with the maximum stopping distances allowable by law.
Going by the link below a 4 laned interstate road in the US costs ~$5.5 million USD per km. In SL a 4 laned expressway costs range from $12 millionUSD to $57 millionUSD per km; depending on the soil conditions.
ftp://ftp.***.state.fl.us/LTS/CO/Est...PM/summary.pdf
Road you see in the video I posted above, is $11.1 millionUSD per km; The CKE costs $12.5 millionUSD per km; The Colombo outer circular ring road costs $57 million USD per km. That's just basic construction costs, doesn't include other major costs such as for the police force + maintenance costs (the Bitumen is resurfaced every 7 years). I have to mention the maintenance costs are colossal, you can see in the video, RDA workers at various sections, cutting grass and cleaning road signs on top of that, the road surface is surveyed every 6 months if it falls below the acceptable standard its resurfaced. This section of expressway is barely 3 years old, and already 8000 meters have been resurfaced, well before the 7 year guarantee on the bitumen.

LOL india go home you have nothing to compare with us :rofl: no need to compare you, comparing with US is enough :lol:

Now Srilankan Road System is better than US Interstate Do you even realize the number of cars that pass through the US Interstate road system in one hour will be far more than that will pass through your entire, oops one highway, system in one year. And yet you spend a fortune to maintain it.

Just because you have one expressway in 2by2 size island doesn't make it great. Highway systems are great based on the amount of traffic volume they carries not by the amount of money getting duped.

Now Srilankan Road System is better than US Interstate Do you even realize the number of cars that pass through the US Interstate road system in one hour will be far more than that will pass through your entire, oops one highway, system in one year. And yet you spend a fortune to maintain it.

Just because you have one expressway in 2by2 size island doesn't make it great. Highway systems are great based on the amount of traffic volume they carries not by the amount of money getting duped.

Why does that make it great? :lol: you have nothing to say

Back
Top Bottom