What's new

What is your mother tongue ? What other languages you can read, write and speak ?

Mother tongue- Malayalam
write- Malayalam, Hindi, Tamil and English
speak- Malayalam, Hindi, Tamil and English
read- Malayalam, Hindi, Tamil and English
understand : Kannada mostly and can speak basic conversations, Telegu somewhat understandable

I have a few questions for both Pakistanis and Indians. In your countries, does everyone speak Urdu and Hindi, respectively?
No.
Are almost all news and television programs for example, in Urdu and Hindi?
Nah! 60 %.
Approximately what percentage of your countries population are fluent in these two languages?
422 Million are Native Hindi/Hindi like language speakers (2001 Census).For 98.2 million it was a second language and 31.2 million listed it as their third.So only 551.4 million can understand Hindi.

Indiaspeak: English is our 2nd language - Times Of India
Is English more universal in both countries or are these two national languages?
English is more universal among Southern States but Hindi is more Universal in the rest of the country.

DSCN5007.JPG
Hindi --- 200%
English
Can understand Punjabi....
Trying to learn the language in pic.... Kannada.............
know kuncham kuncham Tamil..........
Its far better to learn Indian than any foreign lang.........

My mother tongue is Marathi.
I can read and write Marathi, English, Hindi and Sanskrit. I can speak Marathi, Hindi and English well, but not Sanskrit.

I have a few questions for both Pakistanis and Indians. In your countries, does everyone speak Urdu and Hindi, respectively?

Almost everyone can understand & speak Urdu in varying degrees & because of that its our Lingua Franca & our National Language !

Are almost all news and television programs for example, in Urdu and Hindi?

Yes almost all of them are but yes there are also a handful of news & television programs in local languages like Punjabi, Pashto, Saraiki etc.

Approximately what percentage of your countries population are fluent in these two languages?

Whereas Urdu is the mother-tongue of less than 10% of Pakistanis its spoken as the second or third language by almost all Pakistanis !

Is English more universal in both countries or are these two national languages?

English is the Official Language of Pakistan & the medium of instruction in perhaps all academic institutions of Pakistan but the common man is more fluent in Urdu than in English except the educated classes who have a reasonable to brilliant grasp over English !

What is the main language that the militaries of Pakistan and India use?

The language of instruction is English but Urdu is widely spoken throughout !

You have to understand that most Pakistanis are bilingual or trilingual & so the usage of more than one language is quite common here in Pakistan; so its very common to see Pakistanis reading something in English, discussing it in Urdu & then interspersing all of that with one of their local languages !

I would imagine the same is true with the Army as well - Officers may converse with each other in English & Urdu but the conversations with the junior ranks (who don't have that well of a grasp of English except the broken English that most Urban Pakistanis...even the semi literate ones can speak) the conversation would be in Urdu peppered with English terminology as is the case with most other Professions !

I would think it would make administration difficult if there are whole areas of either India or Pakistan that do not speak either Urdu/Hindi or English.

Almost every Pakistani can understand Urdu & almost every Pakistani is bi if not trilingual so communication isn't that big a problem !

Thank you Armstrong. Very interesting info. I guess the British background is responsible for the military's continual use of English. I also understand that an Urdu speaker can converse with a Hindi speaker but they use two different alphabets.

Back
Top Bottom