What's new

What is your idea about the possibility of secularism in Iran?

no need :)

every body knows ...

g@ngb@ng news coming from India every day ...

Yes but to them trolling Pakistan and other Muslims is more important. He said most Muslim countries are failed states yet his country woman cannot walk after 6pm or they get raped in the capital. Shining India :rolleyes:

Iran has cryogenic engine? Its a news to me.

I mean intelligence agencies :)

it is under developing ...

Yes but to them trolling Pakistan and other Muslims is more important. He said most Muslim countries are failed states yet his country woman cannot walk after 6pm or they get raped in the capital. Shining India :rolleyes:

the most dangerous place is London ...

it doesn't matter male or female !!!

@Soheil : So when are you coming to visit us guys here in Pakistan ? :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
@Soheil : So when are you coming to visit us guys here in Pakistan ? :cheers:

is it safe for Iranians right now ?

I am still young :D

I had plan for visiting Pakistan but failed :-(

New York and London have more rapes per capita than New Delhi..

@iranigirl2 @kollang

Being a little bit familiar with the Iranian history, i can safely say that secularism in Iran won't work for a number of reasons.
First, of all Iran doesn't need secularism to establish, "fair" system of governance. It already has a relatively peaceful and harmonious society. The evidence of that, is the jewish population in Iran is still living and thriving.

Secondly, Iran is one of the most oldest cultures alive today and have been a sovereign state all along for a very long time. With such a rich culture, poetry,literature,arts,architecture,cuisine and having a unique identity of its own, Iran is more than capable of self governance. Since Iran is not a culturally bankrupt country and has a long standing history of peaceful non secular self governance, i hardly find the need for the Iranian society to "try" secularism once more.

Thirdly, the Iranian revolt divided the Iranian society along some aspects which are visible from its diaspora. What everyone must admit is that as Kollang pointed out, that Iran has gone from a complete puppet under shah to a sovereign country with its own foreign policy which many of us may or may not agree to. It is developing its technical and knowledge base of its citizens and successfully providing basic state services to its citizens.

Secularism generally is a failed experiment in all Muslim countries because of some fundamental conflicts of ideals between the two.Examples are Tunisia and Egypt. One could argue that Secularism guarantees wealth and prosperity, well in some cases [West] yes but i can also point out that some of the most poorest countries are secular too, ie N.Korea, Majority African states, India [Home to a huge poor population], Sri Lanka, Venezuela, Cuba and the list goes on. I think, Iran is fully capable of running itself, by itself WITHOUT any western ideals.

Regards.

The reason why secularism has failed in Islamic countries is because Islam and secularism won't go together.

@iranigirl2 @kollang

Being a little bit familiar with the Iranian history, i can safely say that secularism in Iran won't work for a number of reasons.
Thank you Aeronaut, People in ME most of time forget to provide reasons. Thanks again.

First, of all Iran doesn't need secularism to establish, "fair" system of governance. It already has a relatively peaceful and harmonious society. The evidence of that, is the jewish population in Iran is still living and thriving.

I think those minorities should talk about. The government official claims, unfortunately has limited validity.

Secondly, Iran ... has a long standing history of peaceful non secular self governance, i hardly find the need for the Iranian society to "try" secularism once more.

Secularism and history have limited relation. What Iranian nation experienced was dictatorships, most of them have utilized religion of the era to convince nation and recently an anti-religious dictatorship. We never tried secularism in which all have equal rights regardless of their religion or race. Personally, I can not accept secularism is bad just because it is from west.

Thirdly, Iran has gone from a complete puppet under shah to a sovereign country with its own foreign policy

Shah as a dictator had to be depended on the non-nation to rule Iran. Shah era was a monopoly in ideas and nobody has classified it as a secular system.

About the second part, an independent foreign policy means to follow the interest of the country, worldwide. Sometimes you have to agree and sometimes you have to disagree with the policy of other countries. But the foreign policy of Iran is not that kind. We always are against west regardless of the fact that it is parallel with Iran's interests or not.

Secularism generally is a failed experiment in all Muslim countries because of some fundamental conflicts of ideals between the two.Examples are Tunisia and Egypt. One could argue that Secularism guarantees wealth and prosperity, well in some cases [West] yes but i can also point out that some of the most poorest countries are secular too, ie N.Korea, Majority African states, India [Home to a huge poor population], Sri Lanka, Venezuela, Cuba and the list goes on. I think, Iran is fully capable of running itself, by itself WITHOUT any western ideals.

In your idea, in a country with a variety of ideologies like Iraq or Syria, the government should be Shia, Sunni or secular?

Most of those who oppose secularism will be happy to have it if they are religious minority. Example, muslims here who moved and now live in foreign counntries. Extreme example:sects of muslims here who have been oppressed due to their sect and are now living in foreign lands.

If you are from a majority religious community( or sect ) where you live, you might need to use a lot of rational argument to 'get it'. Minorities get it quite easily.

@Ir.Tab What muslim countries POST colonialism are still trying to find is their lost wealth, called Ijma'a

I, see Arab spring the revolt in Pakistan etc as a post colonial evolution process which will take time to mature and settle. I, don't reject secularism i just think its unapplicable on countries like ours.

If you like reading please read this, you may find out where i am coming from.

120419052837tb2gkW73.jpg

ok !!! wait for secular Iran for ever ...

now discuss about impossible things ...

Thank you for the book. Iqbal was a bright man. This link provides people a pdf version for those who are interested.

Personally, I recommend this book for every one. This book is a journey from freedom in creation to freedom of human.

Some hints:

"The republican form of government is not only thoroughly consistent with the spirit of Islam, but has also become a necessity in view of the new forces that are set free in the world of Islam."

"There are religions and forms of art, which provide a kind of cowardly escape from the facts of life, I do not deny."

"Time as a free creative movement has no meaning for the theory. It does not pass. Events do not happen; we simply meet them."

"Creation is opposed to repetition which is a characteristic of mechanical action. That is why it is impossible to explain the creative activity of life in terms of mechanism."

"The universe is a free creative movement. But how can we conceive a movement independent of a concrete thing that moves? The answer is that the notion of ‘things’ is derivative. We can derive ‘things’ from movement; we cannot derive movement from immobile things."

"The Ulema should form a vital part of a Muslim legislative assembly helping and guiding free discussion on questions relating to law. The only effective remedy for the possibilities of erroneous interpretations is to reform the present system of legal education in Muhammadan countries, to extend its sphere, and to combine it with an intelligent study of modern jurisprudence."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom