What's new

What is it to be a Pakistani

Mr Jafari represents the first generation of Pakistanis who are still stuck in 'could've beens'.

I had the pleasure to meet a Pakistani Professor once who has taught at a number of prestegious Universities in a number of Australian states.

He belonged to the first generation of Pakistanis. After a brief talk he started to ask me questions about who, i feel i was and what it meant for me to call myself a Pakistani.

Regardless of the torrent of propaganda and counter propaganda we were exposed to at school and media, most of my peers had knowledge of our ancient roots and felt proud about it.

I, replied to all of his questions back to back, then he suddenly said to me that, he was glad to see that our nation's identity had evolved and was still evolving while comparing his beliefs about the same questions he had asked of me.

As a nation, we have had our failings and strengths. We have made our own mistakes and chose to make our own wrong judgements. This phenomenon, in itself is a hard evidence that we as a nation continue to seek our weaknesses and critically look at our past. We couldn't have done all of that, had we been a minority in our own lands.

Future of Pakistan lies in Pakistaniat. An Ummah where all citizens regardless of beliefs get a fair fighting chance and no stigma is attached to one's identity.

Uncle sit down with me & I'll tell you what it means to be a Pakistani ! :agree:

Ainaa complicated higaa nahin jinaa tusssi samajh betheiii ooohhh ! :coffee:

Mr Jafari represents the first generation of Pakistanis who are still stuck in 'could've beens'.

I had the pleasure to meet a Pakistani Professor once who has taught at a number of prestegious Universities in a number of Australian states.

He belonged to the first generation of Pakistanis. After a brief talk he started to ask me questions about who, i feel i was and what it meant for me to call myself a Pakistani.

Regardless of the torrent of propaganda and counter propaganda we were exposed to at school and media, most of my peers had knowledge of our ancient roots and felt proud about it.

I, replied to all of his questions back to back, then he suddenly said to me that, he was glad to see that our nation's identity had evolved and was still evolving while comparing his beliefs about the same questions he had asked of me.

As a nation, we have had our failings and strengths. We have made our own mistakes and chose to make our own wrong judgements. This phenomenon, in itself is a hard evidence that we as a nation continue to seek our weaknesses and critically look at our past. We couldn't have done all of that, had we been a minority in our own lands.

Future of Pakistan lies in Pakistaniat. An Ummah where all citizens regardless of beliefs get a fair fighting chance and no stigma is attached to one's identity.

I agree with all of that including your solution to put national interests above all else for a brighter future.

Won't happen till we keep getting blackmailed for 'stability' in return for tolerating corruption and baby rulers.

Won't happen till we keep getting blackmailed for 'stability' in return for tolerating corruption and baby rulers.

It can happen far easier with little steps in the right direction, rather than any disruptive changes, which are much more difficult to manage, although not impossible.

@Syed.Ali.Haider

On a scale of 1-10, one for being utterly confident and ten for utterly hopeless to a point of lothing. How much do you see the possibility of your dead friends getting justice under the current system we have?

@Syed.Ali.Haider

On a scale of 1-10, one for being utterly confident and ten for utterly hopeless to a point of lothing. How much do you see the possibility of your dead friends getting justice under the current system we have?

About 9.9 to the point of utter hopelessness. Surely.

Yet you think this system deserves to be in place?

No Sir, I think that this system needs to be improved significantly. Where you and I differ is how to best change this system, whether slow and steady improvement, or sudden and disruptive change. That is all.

No actually, i'm oblivious to 'revolutions'. I firmly believe that Pakistan needs evolution instead. The only difference between you and me is that, i view the recent political upheval as a pleasent and much needed 'jhaar poonch', while you don't see it that way.

Imran's triumph is that he has woken up the beast that wants justice and accountability. He has also been successful in setting a precedent that the govt is no longer unaccountable and that people can and will not tolerate their little game anymore.

He has also succeeded in establishing the election rigging as a fact rather than an allegation in the minds of the people, state and military.

I never expected a revolution...nor i'v ever wanted one.

No actually, i'm oblivious to 'revolutions'. I firmly believe that Pakistan needs evolution instead. The only difference between you and me is that, i view the recent political upheval as a pleasent and much needed 'jhaar poonch', while you don't see it that way.

Imran's triumph is that he has woken up the beast that wants justice and accountability. He has also been successful in setting a precedent that the govt is no longer unaccountable and that people can and will not tolerate their little game anymore.

He has also succeeded in establishing the election rigging as a fact rather than an allegation in the minds of the people, state and military.

I never expected a revolution...nor i'v ever wanted one.

I will concede that he is trying to do all these things that you attribute to IK. He has not actually achieved them yet. I hope he succeeds, but I do not think that he will be able to do so, given the way things are going.

I will concede that he is trying to do all these things that you attribute to IK. He has not actually achieved them yet. I hope he succeeds, but I do not think that he will be able to do so, given the way things are going.

Have you ever seen a 'Doodh Kadrhna' in a village?

What happens is that a big clay 'chatoora or matka' is placed inside a clay oven for boiling the milk. A punjabi saying relates the bottom of that clay pot to a situation that is hard to clean up, much like our political system.

When the milk boils, it often pours out of the pot, flows outside and gets burnt at the bottom, leading to a thick black layer of hard, burnt milk which takes months to build and is hard to scrape off.

Our political system is the bottom of that milk boiling pot and i absolutely don't believe it can be cleaned in a day or a week. It will take a nation wide effort which is why i support the protests albeit i know they won't have immediate results.

Have you ever seen a 'Doodh Kadrhna' in a village?

What happens is that a big clay 'chatoora or matka' is placed inside a clay oven for boiling the milk. A punjabi saying relates the bottom of that clay pot to a situation that is hard to clean up, much like our political system.

When the milk boils, it often pours out of the pot, flows outside and gets burnt at the bottom, leading to a thick black layer of hard, burnt milk which takes months to build and is hard to scrape off.

Our political system is the bottom of that milk boiling pot and i absolutely don't believe it can be cleaned in a day or a week. It will take a nation wide effort which is why i support the protests albeit i know they won't have immediate results.

So now you agree that there will not be immediate results, which only proves what I said earlier: That IK has only tried to achieve much, but not actually achieved much, yet.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom