What's new

What is Bangladesh Nationalist Party's future after Khaleda Zia?

Bilal9

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
This is Godi Media's take on BNP in Bangladesh before the election (which is predictably, negative).

I am rather surprised to see the openly negative tone, which portends an inability to affect any outcomes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since both mother and son Tarique, still at the helm of the BNP, are facing a slew of corruption charges and stand convicted in many of those, they possibly will not be able to contest elections.​

Sahidul Hasan Khokon
Sahidul Hasan Khokon
New Delhi ,UPDATED: Jan 17, 2023 16:13 IST

Khaleda Zia

What is Bangladesh Nationalist Party's future after Khaleda Zia? (File Photo)

By Sahidul Hasan Khokon: Between 2001 and 2006, Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) made Bangladesh synonymous with graft as the nation became the champion in Transparency International (TI)’s corruption perception index (CPI) in 2005 for the fifth consecutive year, a report in the country’s leading daily reads.

That was when the BNP-ruled the country under the leadership of Begum Khaleda Zia with her sons —Tarique Rahman and Arafat Rahman (now deceased) — reportedly “made fat cuts from business deals” that undercut substantial progress for many years.

Since both mother and son Tarique, still at the helm of the BNP, are facing a slew of corruption charges and stand convicted in many of those, they possibly will not be able to contest elections. Perhaps, this is why they are not interested in preparing the party for elections and would rather adopt the path of violent street protests to oust the elected government first, according to the country’s political observes.

The game plan emerges loud and clear -- bring down the government by force, then manipulate or coerce the judiciary to overturn the judicial verdicts and get cases dropped, so that they can retain leadership, said Ajoy Das Gupta, an eminent researcher.

Tarique and Begum Khaleda continuing to helm the BNP “is a glaring breach in morality”, says country’s anti-graft watchdog Transparency International Bangladesh’s (TIB) executive director Dr Iftekharuzzaman.

Also Read: Bangladesh opposition party planning 'fight-to-finish' agitation to overthrow Sheikh Hasina govt

https://www.indiatoday.in/technolog...m_medium=mustread&utm_campaign=recommendation
In early January, a Dhaka court directed the government to confiscate all moveable and immovable assets of BNP’s acting vice chairman Tarique Rahman and his wife Zubaida Rahman in a graft case filed by the anti-corruption commission (ACC).

Since Tarique runs the BNP from London and his mother Begum Khaleda already stands convicted of misappropriation of funds meant for orphans, the party is in deep soup at a time when it is trying to launch an all-out movement to overthrow the Sheikh Hasina-led government.

Dr Iftekharuzzaman has said that keeping Begum Khaleda and Tarique – who have been sentenced by the court – in BNP’s top leadership “contradicts” the party’s 27-point outline for state reform, which includes stance against corruption, and is a sign of “moral decay”, according to a report by country’s top newswire service UNB.

“There is also a law on whether those convicted of corruption can participate in election,” he added. “It is a matter of court and justice. In terms of moral position, I would say it is contradictory. They (BNP) are speaking against corruption but running the party with those (Begum Khaleda and Tarique ) convicted,” he pointed out.

enshrine term limits into the constitution no more than two terms.

You could do that, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a good leader elected as many times as the people want and for as long as they can discharge their duties.

You must remember that most people in Bangladesh vote for the apex leader not the party or the ideology, it just wouldn't work if after two terms, people had to vote in someone they don't know or have never heard about.

All that would do is push people more towards whoever makes the best false promises during the election campaign..

I've said it before and I'll say it again now, this country and it's people are not ready for democracy and what it means, nor are they even capable of understanding what their votes mean and how powerful each vote is and how careful one must be while casting it.

You must remember that most people in Bangladesh vote for the apex leader not the party or the ideology, it just wouldn't work if after two terms, people had to vote in someone they don't know or have never heard about.
Hope you have been well

It is hard to find Ideological differences between BAL and BNP
All that would do is push people more towards whoever makes the best false promises during the election campaign..
The problem's right there , Why aren't there debates (back when there used to be debates and discussion) on national & or economic policy ? all we get is , petty squabble over he said this she said this.

Hope you have been well

It is hard to find Ideological differences between BAL and BNP

The problem's right there , Why aren't there debates (back when there used to be debates and discussion) on national & or economic policy ? all we get is , petty squabble over he said this she said this.

Thank you, I have been well and I hope you've been likewise.

I do not think our politicians are capable of or willing to engage in a civil debate, most of our politicians started off as party goons so as such they have not the mental fortitude to have a civil discussion and debate.

Even if they were forced to engage in a debate, all they would do is air the others dirty laundry instead of making constructive criticisms of the others policies.

No matter how you look at it, democracy just won't work in this country for a whole host of reasons.

So, you are telling that Hasina Bibi was elected by people in the midnight vote stuffing and she was elected by the people. I will try to believe what you said.

But, do not forget to ask her to contest in the next election supposed to be held in fairness and in the daytime. No doubt, Hasina will be re-elected.

So, you are telling that Hasina Bibi was elected by people in the midnight vote stuffing and she was elected by the people. I will try to believe what you said.

But, do not forget to ask her to contest in the next election supposed to be held in fairness and in the daytime. No doubt, Hasina will be re-elected.

And what will you BNP fanboys say when she is actually re-elected through a "free and fair election " ? Will you not then cry foul about unfair elections and ballot stuffing anyway ?

I do not think our politicians are capable of or willing to engage in a civil debate, most of our politicians started off as party goons so as such they have not the mental fortitude to have a civil discussion and debate.
A mean coal piece calling the kettle black. Do not you see yourself in the mirror? Bloody hypocrite Hotentot from Africa!!

And what will you BNP fanboys say when she is actually re-elected through a "free and fair election " ? Will you not then cry foul about unfair elections and ballot stuffing anyway ?

Comeon, this dude is now pro-Jamatt when he spends all his time slagging off Islam. :lol:

If Jamatt can help get rid of Hasina and put his people in government, then he is all for them..

All he cares about is his own selfish interests and has no principles to speak of.

Comeon, this dude is now pro-Jamatt when he spends all his time slagging off Islam. :lol:

If Jamatt can help get rid of Hasina and put his people in government, then he is all for them..

All he cares about is how own selfish interests and has no principles to speak of.

His relative is in BNP, so all this cretin wants is kickbacks, he outed himself a while back..

A mean coal piece calling the kettle black. Do not you see yourself in the mirror? Bloody hypocrite Hotentot from Africa!!

lol, nice diversion instead of answering my question but then again you're intellectually handicapped, so it was accepted.

Back
Top Bottom