What's new

What Does Indian Defence Get in Military Projects Worth ₹34,260 Crore?

Forget about sustained use.....single engined Helos are not certified for any use above seas in any country with a worth-while Aviation Regulatory Authority; which includes India.
No ONGC personnel will ever board a single engined Helo for the ferry trip to an offshore installation!
Precisely and yet what are the IN and ICG being forced to use in all maritime environments ? Pathetic. The MoD is asking these pilots and crews to put their lives at risk every single day but does this weigh on the minds of anyone within the MoD? I doubt it.

Can someone clarify why the cost of 32 Dhruv Helicopters is pegged at 7000 crore? That's 220 crore rupees/$36 million per helicopter! Surely that's a preposterous price, even if the life cycle costs are included.

Can someone clarify why the cost of 32 Dhruv Helicopters is pegged at 7000 crore? That's 220 crore rupees/$36 million per helicopter! Surely that's a preposterous price, even if the life cycle costs are included.

it include R&D for automatically fold-able blades,Maintenance for previous batch of helis also.

Forget about sustained use.....single engined Helos are not certified for any use above seas in any country with a worth-while Aviation Regulatory Authority; which includes India.

No ONGC personnel will ever board a single engined Helo for the ferry trip to an offshore installation!

The INS Aditya was a one-off ship built to a Blohm & Voss design by GRSE. Its a dated design now.
There is a similarly one-off INS Jyoti which was acquired from SU/Russia.
The Deepak class from Fincantieri is a more contemporary design.

I know, we're not supposed to be sending single engined hepters over the waves, we've still got the IN and the ICGS dealing with the chetaks though.:( Speaking of ONGC, we've had instances where the NSG had to borrow hepters from ONGC, talk about apathy.

it include R&D for automatically fold-able blades,Maintenance for previous batch of helis also.

I thought it was manually folding mechanism? Any links/source?

Now why in hell didn't we build more Aditya-class vessels?

Bro, the Aditya is derived from the original Deepaks, the reason I mentioned it is because its in the active fleet and roughly comparable to the the current Deepaks in tonnage.

Last edited:
Pipavav can build much larger ships than either MDL or L&T. The large building dock at Pipavav can build 4 of the FSSs at the same time, its VLCC sized!

Warship building activities MUST be progressively shifted to the large private ship-yards. They are built from the ground up for modular ship construction, something that the DPSU yards are absorbing only now.

I thought the L&T shipyard was to be the largest in SA?

Precisely and yet what are the IN and ICG being forced to use in all maritime environments ? Pathetic. The MoD is asking these pilots and crews to put their lives at risk every single day but does this weigh on the minds of anyone within the MoD? I doubt it.

Why don't the IN & ICG use Dhruvs instead of that Ancient Piece of Crap

I thought the L&T shipyard was to be the largest in SA?

Which L&T yard are you talking about? The one coming up at TN? Even that is smaller than Pipavav, which is by far and away India's biggest yard now.

I know, we're not supposed to be sending single engined hepters over the waves, we've still got the IN and the ICGS dealing with the chetaks though.:( Speaking of ONGC, we've had instances where the NSG had to borrow hepters from ONGC, talk about apathy.

Bro, the Aditya is derived from the original Deepaks, the reason I mentioned it is because its in the active fleet and roughly comparable to the the current Deepaks in tonnage.

1.ONGC has no Helos. It uses Helos from Pawan Hans and some Pvt. (including overseas) Charter Cos.

2.INS Aditya is a design from Blohm & Voss, Hamburg., not the old Deepak and Shakti; notwithstanding any looks in similarity. INS Jyoti is a modification of a Russian Merchant Tanker design.

Which L&T yard are you talking about? The one coming up at TN? Even that is smaller than Pipavav, which is by far and away India's biggest yard now.

1.ONGC has no Helos. It uses Helos from Pawan Hans and some Pvt. (including overseas) Charter Cos.

2.INS Aditya is a design from Blohm & Voss, Hamburg., not the old Deepak and Shakti; notwithstanding any looks in similarity. INS Jyoti is a modification of a Russian Merchant Tanker design.

Wait, so ONGC got it from Pawan Hans and then the NSG borrowed it from them (I clearly remember ONGC being mentioned), that is some A-grade f@ckery indeed.

Hmm..so they are not modified deepaks (the older ones), seems like we've been getting folks to design one offs for us, would have made sense to settle for one design finally, no?

Wait, so ONGC got it from Pawan Hans and then the NSG borrowed it from them (I clearly remember ONGC being mentioned), that is some A-grade f@ckery indeed.

Hmm..so they are not modified deepaks (the older ones), seems like we've been getting folks to design one offs for us, would have made sense to settle for one design finally, no?

The Deepak was not specially designed for the IN. It was an existing design then modded to Indian reqmts. That is quite a normal thing in Ship Design Bureaus. There are "families" of designs which are available for sale/transfer which can be tweaked to individual customer's needs/budgets. This is very common in Merchant Ship Designs. Makes for a great deal of economy.

The Deepak was not specially designed for the IN. It was an existing design then modded to Indian reqmts. That is quite a normal thing in Ship Design Bureaus. There are "families" of designs which are available for sale/transfer which can be tweaked to individual customer's needs/budgets. This is very common in Merchant Ship Designs. Makes for a great deal of economy.

Hop over to the P-15B thread, have tagged you, apparently someone took sat images of the under construction hull.

Last edited:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom