What's new

What can South Asia learn from East Asia?

SL has a distinctively high level of development in South Asia, closer to ASEAN average by measure of many indicators, so is there an SL initiative to join the organisation? From ASEAN's point of view, accepting SL, even BD which is right next to Myanmar, wouldn't have much negative impact on the status quo. Close cultural ties, similar natural environment, same medium-populated countries (except Indonesia), if such an arrangement does happen I do see a lot synergy between the parties.

Comparatively speaking PK is more an Eurasian economy, hence should integrate more with SCO, GCC, Iran etc.

Your views?

@Gibbs

Last edited:
SL has a distinctively high level of development in South Asia, closer to ASEAN average by measure of many indicators, so is there an SL initiative to join the organisation? From ASEAN's point of view, accepting SL, even BD which is right next to Myanmar, wouldn't have much negative impact on the status quo. If such an arrangement does happen I do see a lot synergy between the parties.

Comparatively speaking PK is more an Eurasian economy, hence should integrate more with SCO, GCC, Iran etc.

Your views?

Agreed. If we can tap into Central Asia/Iran and Western China through Karakorum Highway that would be great. CPEC is the way forward ....

05e424c7511706bd77a2d50ca3be9bf5-CPEC.jpg

If a rail line is built then things will really take off

XxjiweE000003_20150419_BNMFN0A003_11n.jpg

China–Pakistan Economic Corridor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Agreed. If we can tap into Central Asia/Iran and Western China through Karakorum Highway that would be great. CPEC is the way forward ....

Well said, but It's no longer a "if" bro, things are already moving, hope those guys on the ground can meet the schedule. The pipe-lines, road/rail/ports, plants/grids, followed by the industrial parks ... check the featured thread by @Horus, a lot of infographics too.

SL has a distinctively high level of development in South Asia, closer to ASEAN average by measure of many indicators, so is there an SL initiative to join the organisation? From ASEAN's point of view, accepting SL, even BD which is right next to Myanmar, wouldn't have much negative impact on the status quo. Close cultural ties, similar natural environment, same medium-populated countries (except Indonesia), if such an arrangement does happen I do see a lot synergy between the parties.

Your views?

@Gibbs
Not yet but I hope they apply for it soon. At the time when ASEAN was formed, Sri Lanka received an invitation but it rejected which was a huge mistake. Sri Lanka would benefit immensely by joining ASEAN with the access to investments and it would also provide a cover for bullying from India. What I don't understand is, why doesn't our policy makers already try to apply for the membership. o_O

At the time when ASEAN was formed, Sri Lanka received an invitation but it rejected which was a huge mistake. Sri Lanka would benefit immensely by joining ASEAN with the access to investments and it would also provide a cover for bullying from India. What I don't understand is, why doesn't our policy makers already try to apply for the membership. o_O

Oh was it? ASEAN is already a huge and vibrant economy by now!

Anyway better be late than never bro, make some wake-up calls to those in-charge ... :-)

Oh was it? ASEAN is already a huge and vibrant economy by now!

Anyway better be late than never bro, make some wake-up calls to those in-charge ... :-)
Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka actually received an invitation to join ASEAN when it was formed over 46 years ago but did not accept. Since then, political, trade and cultural ties between Sri Lanka and ASEAN member states have been tight and mutually beneficial. Sri Lanka is a member of the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) and has played a leading role in promoting regional economic and cultural cooperation. Yet, SAARC is bogged down mainly due to India’s size and the India-Pakistan rivalry. Becoming a member of ASEAN would give Sri Lanka an insurance policy against unwelcomed Indian interference. The biggest gain Sri Lanka stands to benefit from an ASEAN membership is easier access to trading and investment opportunities in the region. Seeking membership of ASEAN is not an impossible task for Sri Lanka, however, it will have to think about the fact that it is geographically not a part of Southeast Asia, which is one major – though not untouchable – precondition.

Expanding ASEAN: Five candidates and their options | Investvine

Generally East Asians talk less and work more. East Asian work ethic is amazing. South Asians talk a lot and promise grandiose things but always end up under-delivering and outright failing.

South Asians are far too much into religious things and ideology which hinders their development.

No South Asian country has become a developed country yet and I don't see that changing for a very long time, if ever.

I also think the AVERAGE IQ of the East Asian is higher than the AVERAGE IQ of the South Asian which contributes to why South Asia is so far behind East Asia.

The smartest South Asian and smartest East Asian are equally smart but on average, the general East Asian population is smarter than the general South Asian population.

IQ difference is a pile of crap.

South Asian kids in the UK achieve similar to Chinese kids and better than white kids.

You need to look at things like history, religion and forming artificial countries out of
many different ethnicities for answers.

Nice read. As I said, the currently 10-state ASEAN can add SL and BD without much shifting of its status quo center of gravity which will still swings along the Jakarta-Singapore-Bangkok axis, and will still be an Association of South-East (and some South) Asian Nations.

Good luck to both SL/BD and ASEAN!

South Asian kids in the UK achieve similar to Chinese kids and better than white kids.
That's very good!

You need to look at things like history, religion and forming artificial countries out of
many different ethnicities for answers.
Well said, I agree to that.

Pakistan is perhaps the only SA country whose economic plans were copied by countries like South Korea
Back in the 60's..

Meanwhile we fuked it all up..

Sanctions,conflict,corruption and natural disasters .. Thts the story of Pak.

Till the mid 2000s (our economy was growing as fk!).. Than came Zardari and he fuked it all up (with special thanks to terrorist fuks and biblical disasters like floods,earthquakes etc)
But we are on the right track .. A country like Pak with like 60+% of the population under 24... Fertile lands and benefitting geopolitical location... If we play it right we can be the next "economic"
miracle ..

I think the British empire destroyed the 'heart' of South Asia and left it missing the fabric to hold all the peoples together.

How can a place where the Dharmic teachings come from be so ignorant of the right path foward?

I really like India but there is definitely something 'missing' in modern day India that the ancient Indians possessed.

Erm, the British did a lot of damage in colonial era, but not in this particular case. India subcontinent was fractured to begin with. The British actually helped the region to achieve a sense of unity. The British's last meddling in region was the partition of Pakistan and India, but if you compare it to 300 years ago, it still has much better unity.

I read through the article, I would have to say I disagree with a lot of things in it. It is right that a nation has to maintain monetary and fiscal control, but then it goes on stating to become a FDI driven economy and heavily criticized subsidiaries in a lot of the sectors. This is rather contradictory. FDI is useful for a poor to accumulate its starting capital, but at the end of the day you really shouldn't depend on it before you have low control over its coming and leaving. If you depend your economic stability on something that can change against your will, it is a disaster waiting to happen.

The subsidiaries are another important issue. India's problem, especially on low efficiency of subsidized industrial is in the implementation, not in the idea itself. To openly compete with foreign competitors, you have to make sure your industry can survive the competition in the first place. The idea is to advance your industry through competition, not kill it when it is still fragile. This is especially true for vital sectors such as agriculture.

A big problem when looking at East Asia, or rather, the Chinese economy is that too many people keep drooling over the rapid development from 1980 to now and shy away from the initial buildup period from 1949 to 1979. This is a rather grave misunderstanding because you can't have the tall beautiful building before doing the grueling foundation building. Similar things apply to Japan, without the initial buildup from 1945 to 1960s, you wouldn't actually have the economic boom later.

Plus, Indian subcontinent's culture background is very different from East Asia as well. Both China and Japan are pretty much homogeneous cultures while India is not. Some of the things simply can't be applied, but they are still vital component of the success.

How Asia Works: Joe Studwell: 9780802121325: Amazon.com: Books

I sincerely recommend this book.
Why SK and Taiwan are much more successful than Philippines and Malaysia, this book gives readers some reasonable explanations.

Editorial Reviews
From Booklist
Why have some East Asian countries been more successful in their economic development than others? Studwell (Asian Godfathers, 2008) argues that the answer comes down to three key sets of policy choices: land-tenure policies that support smallholder farmers, manufacturing policies that subsidize domestic industries yet demand internationally competitive results, and financial policies that support the above by resisting deregulation until it can be done safely. Countries that have done these things (Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan), he notes, have developed more robustly and consistently than those that have not (Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia). And then there’s China, the big work in progress at the center of it all. Drawing upon broad yet consistently engaging historical analysis, as well as some deep dives into World Bank and International Monetary Fund reports, Studwell ultimately wants to dispel some pervasive illusions about the region—that geography is destiny, for example—and to suggest that developing countries would do well to ignore much of the economic-development advice they currently receive from the West. --Brendan Driscoll --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

1, agriculture

2, manufacturing
3, finance
U cannot skip any of the phases above, and u cannot mix the order.

Bill Gates’ five favorite books of 2014 – Quartz

Pakistan is perhaps the only SA country whose economic plans were copied by countries like South Korea
Back in the 60's..

Meanwhile we fuked it all up..

Sanctions,conflict,corruption and natural disasters .. Thts the story of Pak.

Till the mid 2000s (our economy was growing as fk!).. Than came Zardari and he fuked it all up (with special thanks to terrorist fuks and biblical disasters like floods,earthquakes etc)
But we are on the right track .. A country like Pak with like 60+% of the population under 24... Fertile lands and benefitting geopolitical location... If we play it right we can be the next "economic"
miracle ..
You didn't learn this model well.

Not yet but I hope they apply for it soon. At the time when ASEAN was formed, Sri Lanka received an invitation but it rejected which was a huge mistake. Sri Lanka would benefit immensely by joining ASEAN with the access to investments and it would also provide a cover for bullying from India. What I don't understand is, why doesn't our policy makers already try to apply for the membership. o_O
East Asia-ASEAN, the only complete manufacturing chain, u got to get inside! U can never build your own wholesome supply chain only in South Asia..

How Asia Works: Joe Studwell: 9780802121325: Amazon.com: Books

I sincerely recommend this book.
Why SK and Taiwan are much more successful than Philippines and Malaysia, this book gives readers some reasonable explanations.

Editorial Reviews
From Booklist
Why have some East Asian countries been more successful in their economic development than others? Studwell (Asian Godfathers, 2008) argues that the answer comes down to three key sets of policy choices: land-tenure policies that support smallholder farmers, manufacturing policies that subsidize domestic industries yet demand internationally competitive results, and financial policies that support the above by resisting deregulation until it can be done safely. Countries that have done these things (Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan), he notes, have developed more robustly and consistently than those that have not (Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia). And then there’s China, the big work in progress at the center of it all. Drawing upon broad yet consistently engaging historical analysis, as well as some deep dives into World Bank and International Monetary Fund reports, Studwell ultimately wants to dispel some pervasive illusions about the region—that geography is destiny, for example—and to suggest that developing countries would do well to ignore much of the economic-development advice they currently receive from the West. --Brendan Driscoll --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

1, agriculture

2, manufacturing
3, finance
U cannot skip any of the phases above, and u cannot mix the order.

Bill Gates’ five favorite books of 2014 – Quartz

You didn't learn this model well.

East Asia-ASEAN, the only complete manufacturing chain, u got to get inside! U can never build your own wholesome supply chain only in South Asia..
We worked out the model ourself...:lol: long term implementation was the problem along with a couple of lost decades(sanctions) and conflict..

We worked out the model ourself...:lol: long term implementation was the problem along with a couple of lost decades(sanctions) and conflict..

Lost decades can be recovered. Heck, even lost centuries can be remedied. Just look at China - war, war, war until the 1950s then some crazy bad political turmoil until 1978.

If Pakistan rolls up their sleeves and focus on the tasks at hand, there will be good times ahead.

Back
Top Bottom