What's new

What Are You Listening to Right Now - Round 2

A great portrayal of emotions from Punjab by Attaullah Khan Esakhelvi.

A personal recall behind this song. The last time when I left Pakistan for England as usual the gloominess was there once you left the village with all your relatives being teary-eyed whilst you headed for the airport. But I didn't think much of the emotions that day that is until I get on the plane and am all cosy in my seat and decided to put my music on shuffle. For the while, the plane was being boarded and braced for the long haul to Manchester. The music was relatively lively and not much to it I guess. That is until we get the go from the pilots and we are above wheat fields and the adjoining areas of Islamabad and its villages that this song was shuffled and it made me sob like a baby it still gives me goosebumps seeing the endless fields, the villages, the Punjab and Pakistan from above whilst, Attaullah quietly made me regret sitting next to the window.

@Sainthood 101 @jamahir @Valiant @Mentee

Well bhai, I am not conversant in Punjabi but in its connection to Hindustani language I understand some of the sentiment in the song. But I am a city person so I am simply unable to relate to the romanticism you have with rural life. :) Also, our attachment to a place may be temporary and we may be disappointed with that place because the place may have harmful elements for us because of political and socio-economic situation in the city or the entire country itself. ATM India is going through insanity - primarily Hindutvadis, mullahfied Muslims and some Christians spreading hatred, creating riots and oppresssing others. I have been speaking of the rational and progressive Muslims and non-Muslims doing hijrat to sensible societies like Bangladesh, Russia etc. Of course I have things to like of India but the attachment is not permanent. I don't know when the fire will reach my city. :)

I had thought that I had heard this song earlier and here it is:

This song still gives me goosebumps, even after all these years. Especially, "Har zakhm dil ka tujhe, dil se dua de"

Masterpiece

A great portrayal of emotions from Punjab by Attaullah Khan Esakhelvi.

A personal recall behind this song. The last time when I left Pakistan for England as usual the gloominess was there once you left the village with all your relatives being teary-eyed whilst you headed for the airport. But I didn't think much of the emotions that day that is until I get on the plane and am all cosy in my seat and decided to put my music on shuffle. For the while, the plane was being boarded and braced for the long haul to Manchester. The music was relatively lively and not much to it I guess. That is until we get the go from the pilots and we are above wheat fields and the adjoining areas of Islamabad and its villages that this song was shuffled and it made me sob like a baby it still gives me goosebumps seeing the endless fields, the villages, the Punjab and Pakistan from above whilst, Attaullah quietly made me regret sitting next to the window.

@Sainthood 101 @jamahir @Valiant @Mentee

Wow. This was absolutely stupendous. Ataullah is a legend and this brought back so many memories of home.

Marvellous share!

A peppy song that describes the feelings of the girl. Quite an old one really. Ishita should have been plumper, she would have appeared more graceful.
She looks good as she is in the song for me.
And what is Milind Gunaji doing nowadays ?
For me, Milind will always be remembered for his popular travel show 'Bhatkanti'. He is still into acting but apart from it, he's also a good writer and has written plenty of travel books.

Also, the song "Pani thim thim gala" is another fun Marathi song from the 1990s.
Haha, that song was quite popular. But it's based on a far older song in which the iconic Dada Kondke was the main lead. There's also a new rendition of it in the movie 'Dream Girl' which has Ayushmaan Khurrana and Riteish Deshmukh as part of it. But I still prefer the rendition of the one that you shared by the musician DJ Akbar Sami, it's the best one for me.

For me, Milind will always be remembered for his popular travel show 'Bhatkanti'. He is still into acting but apart from it, he's also a good writer and has written plenty of travel books.

Haha, that song was quite popular. But it's based on a far older song in which the iconic Dada Kondke was the main lead. There's also a new rendition of it in the movie 'Dream Girl' which has Ayushmaan Khurrana and Riteish Deshmukh as part of it. But I still prefer the rendition of the one that you shared by the musician DJ Akbar Sami, it's the best one for me.

What language is Milind speaking? I remember him from the song, Yeh Teri Aakhen Jhuki Jhuki and his bit role in Aan.

I disagree. Girls should be plump / chubby / voluptuous.

"Bhatkanti" means a wanderer ? His narration is good. And I didn't know he was a writer.

Haha, that song was quite popular. But it's based on a far older song in which the iconic Dada Kondke was the main lead.

Ah, Dada Kondke. Andheri raat main diya tere haath main. :lol:

What language is Milind speaking? I remember him from the song, Yeh Teri Aakhen Jhuki Jhuki and his bit role in Aan.

He is speaking Marathi, the language prevalent in the Western / Deccan state of Maharashtra ( capital Bombay / Mumbai ) and in one part in the Southern / Deccan state of Karnataka.

Last edited:
Well bhai, I am not conversant in Punjabi but in its connection to Hindustani language I understand some of the sentiment in the song. But I am a city person so I am simply unable to relate to the romanticism you have with rural life. :) Also, our attachment to a place may be temporary and we may be disappointed with that place because the place may have harmful elements for us because of political and socio-economic situation in the city or the entire country itself. ATM India is going through insanity - primarily Hindutvadis, mullahfied Muslims and some Christians spreading hatred, creating riots and oppresssing others. I have been speaking of the rational and progressive Muslims and non-Muslims doing hijrat to sensible societies like Bangladesh, Russia etc. Of course I have things to like of India but the attachment is not permanent. I don't know when the fire will reach my city. :)
100 percent agree with your point of view but certainly, we mustn't be the only craze rural dwellers who reminisce of the casual life we live so my question to a city dweller like you would be there has to be something about the place you live in that will make your heart all soft and defenceless when moving away from it for a while. Basically what makes you homesick just forget all the negatives and put the homesick feelings in a song and tag me.

Though I didn't like the alcoholism and the money-throwing-at-the-end in the song I liked the background philosophy. :tup: I must tell you a story. I worked in an ITES company some years ago and some people there called me Shah Bhai because I have been often told that I look and talk like Naseer sahab, LOL. I was friendly with the security guard too and one day he searched out this song for me and that was the first time I came to know of it but your posting of it is the first time I have watched it fully. :)

Though I didn't like the alcoholism and the money-throwing-at-the-end in the song I liked the background philosophy. :tup: I must tell you a story. I worked in an ITES company some years ago and some people there called me Shah Bhai because I have been often told that I look and talk like Naseer Sahab, LOL. I was friendly with the security guard too and one day he searched out this song for me and that was the first time I came to know of it but your posting of it is the first time I have watched it fully. :)
Glad you found the patient to sit through till the end. Yes, alcoholism is off the charts but that is what makes this song so, let's say, alive. The money throwing is a story on its own as well 🤣.

He's speaking Marathi. The video is about him exploring one of the forts in the Konkan region of Maharashtra.
"Bhatkanti" means a wanderer ? His narration is good. And I didn't know he was a writer.
Not exactly a wanderer but similar to that. It's like wandering without any direction in mind, more like exploration.
Btw, how do you know meaning of so many Marathi words?
Ah, Dada Kondke. Andheri raat main diya tere haath main. :lol:
😂
and in one part in the Southern / Deccan state of Karnataka.
You mean Belgaum.

Though I didn't like the alcoholism
Non-alcoholics like us are now a minority. And for some reason, alcoholics like to force their alcoholism on the non-alcoholics almost like proselytizing it. Have got fed up with people who use the same cliche 'Is baar piyo bro...sirf taste karo bas'.😐

Last edited:
Btw, how do you know meaning of so many Marathi words?

About Bhatkanti I guessed from the theme of the show but which others you speak of ?

You mean Belgaum.

Yes.

Non-alcoholics like us are now a minority. And for some reason, alcoholics like to force their alcoholism on the non-alcoholics almost like proselytizing it. Have got fed up with people who use the same cliche 'Is baar piyo bro...sirf taste karo bas'.😐

:lol: Did they succeed with you ?

About Bhatkanti I guessed from the theme of the show but which others you speak of ?
I remember you've guessed quite a few words.
:lol: Did they succeed with you ?
Nope, you have to be firm in such situations. But I still don't understand why drinkers love to force their habit on others.
I also want to stop eating meat one day and become fully vegetarian. But that's going to be infinitely more difficult with the variety of dishes that I will miss out on if I give it up. It's easier to stay away from alcohol since I have never tasted it before nor became high on it, but not so with meat. I wish I had never eaten meat...😞

Back
Top Bottom