What's new

What Are You Listening to Right Now - Round 2

An exquisite rendition I must say. There is a natural combo here between Bach and Hahn

I was actually listening to Handel's sarabande earlier.....a main feature of the movie "Barry Lyndon" - one of Kubricks masterpieces.

I would highly recommend it. @django Have you watched this one?

It had this wonderful sublime piece of music by the great schubert too!

Dat cello :o:
Wonderful! Strikingly similar to the 2nd movement of BWV 1041. Are we sure this isn't Bach's work?

@django

This is for you then. From the Maestro himself.

Wonderful! Strikingly similar to the 2nd movement of BWV 1041. Are we sure this isn't Bach's work?

@django

This is for you then. From the Maestro himself.

Handel was a big contemporary influence and inspiration for Bach (along with graun, teleman, caldara, fux and a few other worthies). Bach himself said this...and Handel was also inspired by Bach as well....albeit probably somewhat less since Handel was the more well known and received of the two during their lifetimes in general.

Hence you will see much of this in their music forms.

Bach's (more personalised, vivid colourful style) music would only become much more well received much later....displacing somewhat both Handel and Pachelbel before him. Bach's older brother (a gifted musician and composer as well) was a student of Pachelbel actually.

You may know Pachelbel from his most famous piece, he was another big influence on Bach.....probably the first major one that got him into the field of heavenly composing:

Last edited:
Handel was a big contemporary influence and inspiration for Bach (along with graun, teleman, caldara, fux and a few other worthies). Bach himself said this...and Handel was also inspired by Bach as well....albeit probably somewhat less since Handel was the more well known and received of the two during their lifetimes in general.

Hence you will see much of this in their music forms.

Bach's (more personalised, vivid colourful style) music would only become much more well received much later....displacing somewhat both Handel and Pachelbel before him. Bach's older brother (a gifted musician and composer as well) was a student of Pachelbel actually.

You may know Pachelbel from his most famous piece, he was another big influence on Bach.....probably the first major one that got him into the field of heavenly composing:

Have you seen this one? Her playing is so very tasteful. A certain feminine quality to it that I adore. Of course, Nothing very feminine about Mendelssohn's VC but it was very apparent in that partita I posted earlier.

Have you seen this one? Her playing is so very tasteful. A certain feminine quality to it that I adore. Of course, Nothing very feminine about Mendelssohn's VC but it was very apparent in that partita I posted earlier.

This was the wonderful composition I was referring to earlier when talking about Heifetz, his vinyl of which I have and treasure (it was his debut at 7 years old!)

I remember Joachim was also one of the first to play this after Mendelsohn released this....arguably his magnus opus (sounds so different to his usual style too....with much depth, intrigue and mystery compared to his usual placid and airy style).

Hahn does a great job here for sure....but my Heifetz vinyl does better :)

This was the wonderful composition I was referring to earlier when talking about Heifetz, his vinyl of which I have and treasure (it was his debut at 7 years old!)

I remember Joachim was also one of the first to play this after Mendelsohn released this....arguably his magnus opus (sounds so different to his usual style too....with much depth, intrigue and mystery compared to his usual placid and airy style).

Hahn does a great job here for sure....but my Heifetz vinyl does better :)
I know it well, The piece and Heifetz's recording. Of course, Heifetz is better, no questioning that. I'm listening to Heifetz as we speak.

@Nilgiri

You're not Lestat de Lioncourt, are you? :o: You even talk as if you were there. How do you know so much about all this?

I know it well, The piece and Heifetz's recording. Of course, Heifetz is better, no questioning that. I'm listening to Heifetz as we speak.

@Nilgiri

You're not Lestat de Lioncourt, are you? :o: You even talk as if you were there. How do you know so much about all this?

Haha, I have been an avid classical fan since I was 5 years old....ever since I watched 2001 space odyssey when I asked papa if I could watch a grown up movie :P

Every year I added more to my repertoire and then proceeded to learn about the composers themselves...to the minutest detail I could afford. There was a very good series of composer books that was at the local public library in Hong Kong....where I learned about the boundless talent of Mozart.... trials and tribulations of Beethoven.... the personal terror of Tchaikovsky....to the sheer profligacy of Schubert....and calm despondency of Chopin.

No looking back since!

It along with Chess and Astronomy I hold to be me highest pursuits rather than just hobbies.

Haha, I have been an avid classical fan since I was 5 years old....ever since I watched 2001 space odyssey when I asked papa if I could watch a grown up movie :P

Every year I added more to my repertoire and then proceeded to learn about the composers themselves...to the minutest detail I could afford. There was a very good series of composer books that was at the local public library in Hong Kong....where I learned about the boundless talent of Mozart.... trials and tribulations of Beethoven.... the personal terror of Tchaikovsky....to the sheer profligacy of Schubert....and calm despondency of Chopin.

No looking back since!

It along with Chess and Astronomy I hold to be me highest pursuits rather than just hobbies.
I'm impressed, mate. And a little envious to be honest, something that is very rare for me. Would you suggest me some books then? I think I should start from the Baroque period. What do you think?

I'm impressed, mate. And a little envious to be honest, something that is very rare for me. Would you suggest me some books then? I think I should start from the Baroque period. What do you think?

It is an excellent way to start for sure (Baroque).....then progress to classical and then romantic.

I would recommend Buelow's "A History of Baroque Music" if you can find it. His book has many further references that can help you investigate details you are interested in....but a lot are historical documents found in say the British museum etc.

Any series of composer books should be good as well (it really depends on personal taste). There are many out there.

Reinhard G Pauly's series of classical music by period is quite good too.

Just get out there, find what you can, and start reading....you will soon figure out what you like and dont :P

It is an excellent way to start for sure (Baroque).....then progress to classical and then romantic.

I would recommend Buelow's "A History of Baroque Music" if you can find it. His book has many further references that can help you investigate details you are interested in....but a lot are historical documents found in say the British museum etc.

Any series of composer books should be good as well (it really depends on personal taste). There are many out there.

Reinhard G Pauly's series of classical music by period is quite good too.
Just added them to my goodread's list. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom