What's new

What Are You Listening to Right Now - Round 2

Pretty hillarious, charming and surprisingly accurate movie (although parts of it were hollywoodized as usual).

Definitely a good watch. I would recommend it to anyone.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086879/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Probably its most famous scene (don't worry its a stand lone scene pretty much):

@django you should catch the movie at some point too :)
Seems nice. Anything from from those days is. Love the Baroque art and interiors. :P

I will definitely watch it.

@Nilgiri @waz

Have you ever listened to it ?
Aznavour is such a good singer,this song is strong,powerful... beautiful.
I remember when we were singing it at the junior high school.... aha good memories,time goes by so fast!

@Nilgiri @waz

I remember when we were singing it at the junior high school.... aha good memories,time goes by so fast!

Love his songs a lot for sure. He always has such a nice flow in his performance:

Chanson plus celebre, mais bien merite je crois.

BTW, have you seen the movie Amelie? soundtrack absolutement fabuleux!

@Nilgiri @waz

He has a great voice.

Vergennes how much Celtic do you understand? This beautiful song, which made up the soundtrack of the smash hit war film "BlackHawk Down". I understand it is a celtic language from Brittany, western France.

I love this song. It is very moving.

Last edited:
He has a great voice.

Vergennes how much Celtic do you understand? This beautiful song, which made up the soundtrack of the smash hit war film "BlackHawk Down". I understand it is a celtic language from Brittany, western France.

I love this song. It is very moving.

No,I don't understand the regional languages from Britanny.

Though,I really liked Tri Martolod interpreted by Nolwenn Leroy,a very nice song,of course in the Breton language !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri_Martolod

I really like the diversity of our regions,and their cultures should be preserved through the times as best as possible.

Oh,and Breizh (Britanny) rules!

breizh.jpg

Heifetz is so rich, so raw in this one. Reminded me why I love this piece so much. Pity he kept all the mics for himself. The rest of orchestra can't be heard too clearly. Superb record nonetheless.

@Joe Shearer @Nilgiri But I suspect this recording is already known to you guys.

Yes of course known to me (almost everything he has done really....since one can say he is probably the greatest violin player in recent history and quite possibly all time)...his rendition of Mendelssohn's concerto (on vinyl) is one of my most prized possessions.

I play it only on the most special of occasions :D...it holds a special place in all his music....it was his debut at 7 years old after all :)

Yes of course known to me (almost everything he has done really....since one can say he is probably the greatest violin player in recent history and quite possibly all time)...his rendition of Mendelssohn's concerto (on vinyl) is one of my most prized possessions.

I play it only on the most special of occasions :D...it holds a special place in all his music....it was his debut at 7 years old after all :)
What do you make of Hilary Hahn? I love her second movement of partita 3. Transforms your heartache into something indescribable.

I watched Amadeus, By the way. Nice movie. The part I liked best was when Salieri calls himself the patron saint of all mediocrity. :lol: And when he stepped on Mozart's notes, I was like someone cut off his bloody foot. :P

What do you make of Hilary Hahn? I love her second movement of partita 3. Transforms your heartache into something indescribable.

I watched Amadeus, By the way. Nice movie. The part I liked best was when Salieri calls himself the patron saint of all mediocrity. :lol: And when he stepped on Mozart's notes, I was like someone cut off his bloody foot. :P

I have heard some of other pieces (Hahn)....but not this one....listening to it right now and so far quite sublime I have to say.

Glad you enjoyed the movie....it has that all important humour inserted into it hehe.

In real life Salieri shared no such disdain for Mozart....being a humble yet capable composer in his own right...who stood in sheer awe at Mozart in only a positive way really. He actually helped Mozart's widow and child financially after Mozart untimely passed at a young age I believe.

"Immortal beloved" (about Beethoven....portrayed by Gary Oldman) is a much more "close-to-truth" movie....and worth a watch too when you have some time. But much like Beethoven himself I suppose...it is much more sombre and lacks the humour of "Amadeus". But also quite a good movie!

But Amadeus to me is my personal preference of the two.

...and the 2nd movement hits its stride just now....I see what you mean about the 2nd movement by Hahn, theres some definite tugging lingering emotion there....there was a movie with this piece in the background, but the name escapes me.

I know Rachmaninoff transcribed (and played) parts of it for the piano, but thats probably heresy for you hehe.

Immortal beloved's most famous scene:

I have heard some of other pieces (Hahn)....but not this one....listening to it right now and so far quite sublime I have to say.

Glad you enjoyed the movie....it has that all important humour inserted into it hehe.

In real life Salieri shared no such disdain for Mozart....being a humble yet capable composer in his own right...who stood in sheer awe at Mozart in only a positive way really. He actually helped Mozart's widow and child financially after Mozart untimely passed at a young age I believe.

"Immortal beloved" (about Beethoven....portrayed by Gary Oldman) is a much more "close-to-truth" movie....and worth a watch too when you have some time. But much like Beethoven himself I suppose...it is much more sombre and lacks the humour of "Amadeus". But also quite a good movie!

But Amadeus to me is my personal preference of the two.

...and the 2nd movement hits its stride just now....I see what you mean about the 2nd movement by Hahn, theres some definite tugging lingering emotion there....there was a movie with this piece in the background, but the name escapes me.

I know Rachmaninoff transcribed (and played) parts of it for the piano, but thats probably heresy for you hehe.
So you're a movie buff. I'm more into tv shows. Have been watching Band of Brothers for the past week.

Seems like Bach and Hahn have definitely shared my feelings at some point. Makes you wonder if it was indeed after all for the glory of God. :P

Post it. I would love to hear it. Some pieces in that movie really made me think. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom