What's new

What Are You Listening to Right Now - Round 2

I love Bach, but to put him on that pedestal is unwarranted. Is there anything that remotely challenges Beethoven's pieces for their engagement with mankind?

There are those who say that Bach and Beethoven, both, lacked a sense of humour. This is true of Bach; we cannot find a piece that contradicts that dictum. But for Beethoven, just put on his 'Rage over a Lost Penny', and that feeling will vanish.

Beethoven had more works and music to help develop his base and style....Bach and Pachelbel had just church organ music to work with....thats why I have to respect what they were able to achieve.

Mozart, Beethoven and all that followed had much to thank Bach and co for.

Its like another passion of mine: chess. The best players ever in modern times, I cannot compare them directly with the 1st few grandmasters who really laid a lot of the basic groundwork....because the more contemporary "technically better" players could spend more of their prime time refining, improving and even discovering....rather than the oldies creating the basic framework which can be quite a long process....with little reward or guarantee of success sometimes!

I always judge keeping in mind the context.

Besides some work of Bach can definitely compete/exceed by themselves with the best of Beethoven/Mozart/Schubert (my ultimate classical trinity)...and that is a phenomenally rare thing for anyone, especially from someone before those 3:

@django

@Nilgiri @Joe Shearer @jbgt90

Tell me what you make of this. I love the Goldberg Variations in Harpsichord (Leonhardt's recording) but this sounds really nice to me. Also Joe, Tell me if I'm being a nuisance. I won't mind if you do. :P

They are well known to me. They are quite fundamental to the basis of variation theory picked up by such notables as Haydn, Brahms and of course Mozart himself.

What I think is distinct about this original form espoused by Bach is the very smooth and constant harmonic progression.

It was under Mozart that this artform reached its peak in my opinion, because he was able to selectively introduce the added element of free counterpoint to give a deeper contrast. I dont think any other composer before or since quite reached his particular level (my opinion of course)....but Bach's melodies certainly have their unique charm and are often much simpler, cleaner and easier to indulge in.

They are well known to me. They are quite fundamental to the basis of variation theory picked up by such notables as Haydn, Brahms and of course Mozart himself.

What I think is distinct about this original form espoused by Bach is the very smooth and constant harmonic progression.

It was under Mozart that this artform reached its peak in my opinion, because he was able to selectively introduce the added element of free counterpoint to give a deeper contrast. I dont think any other composer before or since quite reached his particular level (my opinion of course)....but Bach's melodies certainly have their unique charm and are often much simpler, cleaner and easier to indulge in.
That's consistent with all of Bach's work. It is the symmetry, the proportion, calculation and cerebrality in his music that makes it so perfect. Nothing is ever out of place with Bach. Strangely, His critics use those traits to dismiss him citing a lack of humor and empathy, which according to them, follows such traits. Do we not see the same qualities all around us in things that are so beautiful to us? Do we not see the same style so often reflected in nature or God's creation and interestingly, In the works of Maestros such as Da Vinci, Raphael and Michelangelo, who share Bach's devotion for the divine.

The above is pointed towards people like @Joe Shearer who'd rather own a Van Gogh than a Rembrandt. :P

Last edited:
That's consistent with all of Bach's work. It is the symmetry, the proportion, calculation and cerebrality in his music that makes it so perfect. Nothing is ever out of place with Bach. Strangely, His critics use those traits to dismiss him citing a lack of humor and empathy, which according to them, follows such traits. Do we not see the same qualities all around us in things that are so beautiful to us? Do we not see the same style so often reflected in nature or God's creation and interestingly, In the works of Maestros such as Da Vinci, Raphael and Michelangelo, who share Bach's devotion for the divine.

The above is pointed towards people like @Joe Shearer who'd rather own a Van Gogh than a Rembrandt. :P

I enjoy much of Bach's music and I don't see why people criticise him. He worked with what he had and did a damn fine job.

I mean are we going to dismiss original ragas in our desi classical music just because we prefer the more interpretive,contemporary forms that came later? To me some of the fusion stuff is absolutely horrid :P

I mean are we going to dismiss original ragas in our desi classical music just because we prefer the more interpretive,contemporary forms that came later? To me some of the fusion stuff is absolutely horrid :P
Are you talking about those songs that Rahat sings for those bollywood movies?

Back
Top Bottom