What's new

What about Kashmir?

The medicine sans frontiers report caught my eye in that article. For those who are wondering like me what this is
http://www.artsenzondergrenzen.nl/pdf/KASHMIRFINALVERSION221106.pdf

What the author of the article here fails to mention is that the report clearly states that these acts of violence were perpetrated by both security personal as well as rebel fighters.
The survey was done only in only 2 districts which were hit by the worst violence. These were Kupwara and Badgam.
The definition of sexual violence appears to be quiet broad an includes bits like inappropriate touching.
The blame for much of these woes is places on increased violence seen since 1989.

I am not condoning any human right abuses from the Indian security forces and would like to see justice been done in these cases. However selective reading and interpretation of these numbers to paint a one sided picture for propaganda purposes will only harden stances and will make the task of obtaining justice much harder.

I hope the freedom loving Kashmiris are reading this .

Yes, let's hope so.

When Kashmiris talk about freedom, it means "independence from illegal occupation of india and merger with Pakistan".

I know exactly what I am talking about. It's you indians who are blind and can't read the writing on the wall.

Better to open your eyes, accept the rightful demand of Kashmiris for self determination, and be content with what you have, otherwise you may lose what you have legally. I very well know the ugliness behind the slogan of shinning india.

Come and get it once your manage to save NWFP :)

We will, Inshallah. Just wait and watch, we will get what is rightfully ours.

In the mean time, Ms Dutt, go out and play/fly.

I think posting Kashmir threads are not allowed except in Kashmir Section, that only by senior members.

When Kashmiris talk about freedom, it means "independence from illegal occupation of india and merger with Pakistan".

Really?

Merger with Pakistan?

Tuesday, 28 June 2011

Elections in Pakistani colony - Azad Kashmir
In a parliamentary form of government a party that gets majority forms the next government; and the party leader becomes a Prime Minister. This happens in every democratic and civilised country. However, rules in a Pakistani occupied territory known as Azad Kashmir (independent Kashmir) are different.

PPP emerged as the winner in the elections. It was expected, as always is the case, a ruling party in Islamabad gets the desired results in Azad Kashmir to suits its needs. Barrister Sultan Mehmood, former Prime Minister of Azad Kashmir and a leader of the PPP was interviewed by a Pakistani TV. He happily claimed to have got the majority to form the government. The TV journalist asked him who is going to be the Prime Minister. Barrister Sultan Mehmood with a fake smile on his face said: Zardari Sahib will decide who is going to be the Prime Minister’ (of Azad Kashmir).

People who know how the system works and how posts are awarded, especially the post of the Prime Minister, claim that the man with a big purse will be the Prime Minister. Choudhry Abdul Majid is the President of PPP Azad Kashmir; and should have been asked to form the government. However, that won’t happen, as he is not that rich. Choudhry Yasin and Barrister Sultan Majid are strong candidates for the post of Prime Minister; and insiders claim that Barrister Sultan Mehmood will be the next Prime Minister.

That sums up the level of azadi or independence this territory and its leaders have. Who is Zardari? He is a man accused of being ten per cent because of many corruption scandals, Surrey Palace, Swiss accounts etc. He has imposed a dictatorship in his own party and has virtually ruined it. Many even accuse this man with murder of his wife as well.

Oh yes, he is also a President of Islamic Republic of Pakistan – perhaps, ideal candidate for the post according to political standards of Pakistan. As far as I am concerned, Pakistanis can have a Mafia Don as their President, but what right has he got to impose his will on people of Azad Kashmir........

The final say, as always, is with the secret agencies and Pakistani army General, known as GOC Murree (General Commanding Officer based in Murree).

As if these checks and restrictions were not enough imperialists in Islamabad ensured that genuine voice of people does not emerge strongly to endanger their interests, so they have inserted a clause in Act 74 (under which this territory is run and controlled) that those who do not sign allegiance to Pakistan could not contest any elections or qualify for a public post.

Furthermore, all major decisions, including who will get promotions and what projects should be initiated are taken in meetings of Kashmir Council, which is Chaired by Prime Minister of Pakistan and controlled by the Pakistanis who have numerical majority there as well.

It is unfortunate that many people of Azad Kashmir want to live in this fantasy world that they are azad or independent, as this false sense of being azad does not require any action or struggle on their part. Whereas, if they accept that they are not azad then obligation would be to do something about it; and the structure Pakistan has woven around them in the past 63 years is so strong that they cannot get rid off it................

Let us look how elections are managed in Azad Kashmir. The Assembly has total of 49 seats. Elections are held on 41 seats, 29 seats in Azad Kashmir with 12 seats spread over in Pakistan and reserved for Kashmir migrants. These 12 seats are always in hands of those who control Azad Kashmir and ‘reward’ to the parties of their choice. 5 seats are reserved for women and are shared according to party strength in the Assembly – generally 3 goes to the party with majority of seats. 1 seat for Overseas Kashmiris, sold to the highest bidder, 1 seat for technocrats and 1 seat for religious scholars.

Actual contest takes place on 29 seats in Azad Kashmir.

Writer is Head Diplomatic Committee of Kashmir National Party, political analyst and author of many books and booklets. Also he is Director Institute of Kashmir Affairs.Email:drshabirchoudhry@gmail.com
View my blog and web: Dr Shabir Choudhry's blog
www.k4kashmir.com

Read the full tezt at:
Dr Shabir Choudhry's blog: Elections in Pakistani colony - Azad Kashmir

The Writer is Head Diplomatic Committee of Kashmir National Party, political analyst and author of many books and booklets.

Is Pakistan still serious, or they have forgot this issue?

Our leaders are sleeping. India was bit successful, by pressure tactics like blaming every thing on Muslims just to malign the Kashmiri Mujahideens / Pakistan. So we have other things to discuss. Kashmir Pakistan ki Sheh Rag hai. We cannot forget this issue.

like old days? huh wanna surrender again????????

Not like you think, ask your Army they know those 'old days' better, you might not be born at that time.

Dr Shabir Choudhry was born in Nakker Shamali (near Panjeri) in District Bhimber, Azad Kashmir. He went to UK in 1966, and holds a dual nationality.

Dr Shabir Choudhry has done extensive research on the issue of Kashmir and Indo Pakistan relations. He passed BA Honours in Politics and History, and Mphil in International Relations (title of the thesis, ‘Kashmir and Partition of India’); and title of his PhD thesis is ‘Kashmir- An issue of a nation not a dispute of a land’.

Apart from this Dr Shabir Choudhry passed Post Graduates Certificates in Education, and NVQ Assessor’s qualifications; and taught English in London.

Political Achievements
Founder member of JKLF (Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front established in 1977) and got elected as a Press Secretary in 1984.

Became its Secretary General in 1985, and resigned from this post in 1996.
Got elected President of JKLF and Europe in May 1999, and decided not to contest in elections of July 2001.
Said good - bye to the JKLF as it is in many groups and is largely seen as advancing a Pakistani agenda on Kashmir dispute, and set up a new party Kashmir National Party in May 2008.

At present, he is:

· Spokesman Kashmir National Party and Director Diplomatic Committee;
· Spokesman for International Kashmir Alliance;
· Founder member and Director Institute of Kashmir Affairs;

More at:
http://k4kashmir.com/?page_id=2

Reactions: jha
Our leaders are sleeping. India was bit successful, by pressure tactics like blaming every thing on Muslims just to malign the Kashmiri Mujahideens / Pakistan. So we have other things to discuss. Kashmir Pakistan ki Sheh Rag hai. We cannot forget this issue.

Think logically!!!!...The only thing you can do by keeping the issue alive is hurt Pakistan...Status quo is affordable and beneficial to us...I am afraid vice-versa is not true...b/w there is no way you can snatch Kashmir from us by force...you have already tried it 3 times....in 1947 you were succesful till GOI intervened...but there after not much success...Now we both are nuclear so rest assured there cannot be any more attempts like that...I am not even talking about our conventional strength here....

Geo-politically India's might is increasing....If we go by projections then this is going to stay for significant time....International support backing Pakistan claim is non-existent and if there then almost a lip service and that too a very mild one....

In short the only way you can achieve your target is if you can convince India...and guess what - answer is no way!!!.....Choice is yours....

@ Tiki Tiki,

Quoting from a blog is a non-starter, you should know it by now.

Let's talk about the ground realities in kashmir;

Can't you see the Pakistan flag flying high from time to time in the heart of Kashmir in Srinagar...

Can't you hear the anti-indian and pro-Pakistan slogans from the heart of Kashmir in Srinagar...

My sincere advice to all my indians friends here is to forget your long cherished dream of Akhand Bharat, let Kashmiris have their rightful demand of self determination fulfilled and give peace a chance.

I don't want to get into your internal issues which are for the time being successfully hidden behind the slogan of shinning india by your govt., but my suggestion to you is that concentrate on what you have legally before it is too late.

Back
Top Bottom