What's new

Welcome To Yanbian, China’s Flourishing “Third Korea”

Well thats because historically Quebec was part of the French Colony, so there is a precedence.

Actually China is not the only ones, even in the northern subprefectures in Hokkaido, the autonomous Ainu areas are given self rule to appease their cultural sensitivities. It is not only in China or Russia that have these autonomous zones, but many other parts of the world. These are done to prevent sectarian or civil discord among-st diverse populations.

In Vietnam, the north-west region was once called "Thai-Meo (or Tai - Miao) autonomous area) from 1955 - 1962, including today Son La, Dien Bien, Yen Bai and Lao Cai provinces.

In Vietnam, the north-west region was once called "Thai-Meo (or Tai - Miao) autonomous area) from 1955 - 1962, including today Son La, Dien Bien, Yen Bai and Lao Cai provinces.

Miao ? So there's still a large Hmong (Miao) presence in Viet Nam?

Miao ? So there's still a large Hmong (Miao) presence in Viet Nam?
If you go to North west provinces, like Ha Giang, Lao Cai, Yen Bai etc. you will see many Hmong people. In Vietnam, their official name now is Mông ethnic group (previously Mèo, Hmong, Miêu etc). Ethnic Mông and Dao (Yao) people are attractive features of Sapa, one of the most favorite tourist places in Vietnam, in Lao Cai province.

In the case of Guangxi, the population of that province has NEVER been majority Zhuang, has always been dominated by Hans. Still, it was made an autonomous province on its own.

Rather, the communists were so crazy, they themselves made up a latin romanized script for writing the Zhuang Language, something like the Vietnamese. Despite the fact that Zhuang people have almost always used authentic Chinese characters. Zhuang are indeed completely Chinese. Being Chinese is a matter of culture, and family bond, not of ethnicity. So it has always been.

Among the Other autonomous provinces, Xinjiang was dominated by Uygurs until recently, and Tibet by Tibetans. Inner Mongolia has been dominated by the Hans since around the 1800s. And Ningxia has always been Han area.

But Ningxia had a sizeable Hui population, who were very active in politics, and military. There were many good Hui Scholars, Generals, and Soldiers through out Chinese History. It was hence explainable that their support was important in the civil war. Also, they really wanted a bit of autonomy. And they were also demanding it.

In the case of Guangxi, no one, literally NO ONE demanded anything. It was served on a platter.

Totally agree. CPC did bend over and forth to please minorities, yet, westerners are still accusing Chinese committing "cultural genocide".

If you go to North west provinces, like Ha Giang, Lao Cai, Yen Bai etc. you will see many Hmong people. In Vietnam, their official name now is Mông ethnic group (previously Mèo, Hmong, Miêu etc). Ethnic Mông and Dao (Yao) people are attractive features of Sapa, one of the most favorite tourist places in Vietnam, in Lao Cai province.

Thanks bro! Well definitely if i ever get to visit Viet Nam someday, i'd love to explore the norther counties ! North Vietnam looks so beautiful to me in the pictures ! And also i hear that it even snows there in the winter time, too? :)

Totally agree. CPC did bend over and forth to please minorities, yet, westerners are still accusing Chinese committing "cultural genocide".

Marx once opined in his July Manifesto,In a higher phase of communist society, when| the slavish subordination of the individual to the yoke of the division of labour has disappeared, and when concomitantly the distinction between mental and physical work has ceased to exist; when labour is no longer the means to live, but is in itself the first of vital needs; when the productive forces of society have expanded proportionately with the multi- form development of the individuals of whom society is made up – then will the narrow bourgeois outlook be utterly transcended, and then will society inscribe upon its banners, “From everyone according to his capacities, to everyone according to his needs!

I suppose the inspiration of division of labor being the barrier to development was the casus in this regard. Ethnic discord and ethnic rivalry being the cause of wars in Europe during the 19th century, the implementation of ethnic-based autonomous zones seemed rather rational , well, until China developed so much that the transcendence occurred. If we relegate the quote by Marx in context to ethnic appropriations in the PRC, and according to the organization by the CPC at the time, then it makes sense, well at least in Marxist thought.

:)

Regards,
@Nihonjin1051

Thanks bro! Well definitely if i ever get to visit Viet Nam someday, i'd love to explore the norther counties ! North Vietnam looks so beautiful to me in the pictures ! And also i hear that it even snows there in the winter time, too? :)

Marx once opined in his July Manifesto,In a higher phase of communist society, when| the slavish subordination of the individual to the yoke of the division of labour has disappeared, and when concomitantly the distinction between mental and physical work has ceased to exist; when labour is no longer the means to live, but is in itself the first of vital needs; when the productive forces of society have expanded proportionately with the multi- form development of the individuals of whom society is made up – then will the narrow bourgeois outlook be utterly transcended, and then will society inscribe upon its banners, “From everyone according to his capacities, to everyone according to his needs!

I suppose the inspiration of division of labor being the barrier to development was the casus in this regard. Ethnic discord and ethnic rivalry being the cause of wars in Europe during the 19th century, the implementation of ethnic-based autonomous zones seemed rather rational , well, until China developed so much that the transcendence occurred. If we relegate the quote by Marx in context to ethnic appropriations in the PRC, and according to the organization by the CPC at the time, then it makes sense, well at least in Marxist thought.

:)

Regards,
@Nihonjin1051

I did not know you are a Marxist and a Japanese right wing Nationalist at the same time. :partay:

I agree with you, the ethnic minority policy of CPC at that time was a sincere and necessary one, and they did honestly try to help to preserve ethnic minorities' cultural heritage. Even today, some of their "affirmative action" type of policies are still making sense though many Chinese members may disagree with me. But it is the time to graduate from the somewhat reverse discriminatory ethnic policy, and actively promote China National identity.

I did not know you are a Marxist and a Japanese right wing Nationalist at the same time. :partay:

1. I don't subscribe to all of the things Marx wrote about, but I do agree , in principle, to many of his theories and arguments. The rights of the working class, the concept of mobilization en masse of the peasantry , in fact these made sense during the early industrial period for many industrializing nations.

2. I am not a Japanese right wing, my friend. I am a Japanese patriot who may have some ideas that are similar to the radical ultranationalists among my countrymen. However i do not believe in a "pure" Japan, don't subscribe to radical thoughts of ejecting Koreans or Chinese out of my country, nor do i believe in a Japan that is isolationist that these fanatical right wingers (Uyoku Dantai) demand.
What I do subscribe to are the following non-negotiables:
  • Japanese neutrality
  • Japanese non-alignment
  • Increased Japan-China relations
  • Increased Japan-Russia relations
  • Framework for Japan-China economic, military security pact
  • Framework for Japan to distance itself from Washington-led military alliance
  • Japan to become a totally independent , great power
  • Eventual integration of East Asia
I don't think these thoughts and beliefs make me a right winger, does it, my friend? I don't like labels, anyways.
But if you had to put a 'label' on me, id prefer the term "Centrist Patriot".

Yanji, the capital of China’s Yanbian Korean autonomous prefecture

SWJYanji151441646705.jpg

imgp29001.jpg

3226643_201210131119140632.jpg

152247adv0njvaqyz4qm8g.jpg

Changbai Mountains(Paektu Mountain)Korean sacred Mountain

In Chinese, the mountain itself is known as Chángbáishān ("Ever White Mountain") but the mountain and Heaven Lake taken together are known as Báitóushān("Whitehead Mountain")
Mount Paektu has been worshipped by the surrounding peoples throughout history. Both the Koreans and Manchus consider it the place of their ancestral origin.

The mountain was considered sacred by Koreans throughout history. According to Korean mythology, it was the birthplace of Dangun, the founder of the first Korean kingdom, Gojoseon (2333 BC–108 BC), whose parents were said to be Hwanung, the Son of Heaven, and a bear who had been transformed into a woman. Many subsequent kingdoms of Korea, such as Buyeo, Goguryeo, Balhae, Goryeo and Joseon worshipped the mountain.

062320130890618.jpg

20150317103743-57827501278370616.jpg

upload_35e41190_13ef12252c8__6d5d_00006676.jpg

84420131113172517.jpg

Stunning pics of Changbai Mountain!

My Korean-Chinese friends told me it's a sacred place for their culture.

Yanji, the capital of China’s Yanbian Korean autonomous prefecture

SWJYanji151441646705.jpg

imgp29001.jpg

3226643_201210131119140632.jpg

152247adv0njvaqyz4qm8g.jpg

Changbai Mountains(Paektu Mountain)Korean sacred Mountain

In Chinese, the mountain itself is known as Chángbáishān ("Ever White Mountain") but the mountain and Heaven Lake taken together are known as Báitóushān("Whitehead Mountain")
Mount Paektu has been worshipped by the surrounding peoples throughout history. Both the Koreans and Manchus consider it the place of their ancestral origin.

The mountain was considered sacred by Koreans throughout history. According to Korean mythology, it was the birthplace of Dangun, the founder of the first Korean kingdom, Gojoseon (2333 BC–108 BC), whose parents were said to be Hwanung, the Son of Heaven, and a bear who had been transformed into a woman. Many subsequent kingdoms of Korea, such as Buyeo, Goguryeo, Balhae, Goryeo and Joseon worshipped the mountain.

062320130890618.jpg

20150317103743-57827501278370616.jpg

upload_35e41190_13ef12252c8__6d5d_00006676.jpg

84420131113172517.jpg

I still remember the day in 1999 when a convoy of 19 Toyota Land Cruisers carried us to the very edge of the Tianchi Lake

Simply love dog meat soup Yanbian style. :D

1. I don't subscribe to all of the things Marx wrote about, but I do agree , in principle, to many of his theories and arguments. The rights of the working class, the concept of mobilization en masse of the peasantry , in fact these made sense during the early industrial period for many industrializing nations.

2. I am not a Japanese right wing, my friend. I am a Japanese patriot who may have some ideas that are similar to the radical ultranationalists among my countrymen. However i do not believe in a "pure" Japan, don't subscribe to radical thoughts of ejecting Koreans or Chinese out of my country, nor do i believe in a Japan that is isolationist that these fanatical right wingers (Uyoku Dantai) demand.
What I do subscribe to are the following non-negotiables:
  • Japanese neutrality
  • Japanese non-alignment
  • Increased Japan-China relations
  • Increased Japan-Russia relations
  • Framework for Japan-China economic, military security pact
  • Framework for Japan to distance itself from Washington-led military alliance
  • Japan to become a totally independent , great power
  • Eventual integration of East Asia
I don't think these thoughts and beliefs make me a right winger, does it, my friend? I don't like labels, anyways.
But if you had to put a 'label' on me, id prefer the term "Centrist Patriot".

It was a joke, so don't take it too seriously.

You are pretty diplomatic most of time and you are a great contributor to PDF, personally I enjoy reading many of your posts. But when it comes to past history, your sometimes sound like a right winger though and it may touch some raw nerves of Chinese sentiment. For you, it is just about Japanese glorious military history that you are proud of, but for Chinese it maybe a showing of hostility and a brutal reminder of part of Chinese suffering . Hope you understand.

they must fatten up.

that's a pretty sight, except for the two unspeakables near the ski-chair/sled.

These Korean Chinese girls are just like their sisters in South Korea where a girl 175cm tall is considered FAT if she weighs over 50kg。

Must have something to do with the diet(kimchi + rice,yummy):enjoy:

It was a joke, so don't take it too seriously.

You are pretty diplomatic most of time and you are a great contributor to PDF, personally I enjoy reading many of your posts. But when it comes to past history, your sometimes sound like a right winger though and it may touch some raw nerves of Chinese sentiment. For you, it is just about Japanese glorious military history that you are proud of, but for Chinese it maybe a showing of hostility and a brutal reminder of part of Chinese suffering . Hope you understand.

Thanks bro. Yes you're right, i suppose some of my perceptions in military history in context to ww2 may be taken as being insensitive. In the Chinese view point, i suppose , it can be seen as being a pro-militarist or apologetic of war crimes. In that case that requires me to take an introspection of my long held beliefs. Perhaps it may require some change. Anways, thank you for your constructive criticism.

I hope to learn with you here. More positive rapport with you, id love to have.

In Yanbian; as if Heaven touches the Earth!

d4bed9d5345511aed0dd57.jpg

The Emperor of Heaven touches Earth !

d4bed9d5345511aeebff54.jpg

Back
Top Bottom