What's new

Weird tank modifications in Syria

bananarepublic

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

The civil war in Syria and the war against IS have lead to a bunch of interesting modifications on tanks and other vehicles. Some homemade, some done in the field. Some made by smart and creative minds. Some by overly creative minds.
Regardless, it's all pretty interesting.

All images are borrowed from here: tankandafvnews.com/2016/01/18/armored-oddities-...

T-62 with rather unusual armour. Not sure if it is old casings, storage tubes, or some other weird ****.

T-62 with sandbags.

T-72 with slats and chains.

Another T-72 this time with camo and a man with a blurry face.

More T-72s

T-55. With a poster of Assad. No armour is needed. This tank crew clearly don't belive in their leader.

T-55 with slats and ERA/extended ammo storage.

Another T-55

Same tank from the front.

T-55

Wonderful thread, I always saw these weird modified tanks in Syrian war videos, but the thought of posting it here didn't cross my mind.
Necessity is the mother of invention.:D

They must have discovered a weakness in area above the wheels where incoming missile may be damaging the chain (structure) that moves the tank , so they are trying to ensure some resistance is provided give a Tank may be 20-25% better chance of surviving

The strange looking Metal grid things seems like its being used to store extra ammo not sure how well it protects the individual man from random rouge shots (bullets)

Obviously when the war starts , and there is no proper repair enhancement facility such improvision are part of life as it goes on

Wonder how the super "ADVANCE" tech from air sees these random tanks , I am sure the matching algorithm will be getting messed up having problem identifying these vehicles

"UNIDENTIFIED" objection spotted on ground

Sand bag ?

Well hell yes give me those sand bags if it gives some extra 5-8% protection from projectiles

Last edited:
the most interesting is the first one with spent artilary shells

These grills sandbags and chains protect the tank from RPG and ATGM.
The shell works on "Shaped charge" principle or delayed detonation fuse.
If the shell hits these appendages shown on the tanks above,the shell is deformed on impact and the shape of shaped charge gets messed up rendering it ineffective.

The civil war in Syria and the war against IS have lead to a bunch of interesting modifications on tanks and other vehicles. Some homemade, some done in the field. Some made by smart and creative minds. Some by overly creative minds.
Regardless, it's all pretty interesting.

All images are borrowed from here: tankandafvnews.com/2016/01/18/armored-oddities-...

T-62 with rather unusual armour. Not sure if it is old casings, storage tubes, or some other weird ****.

T-62 with sandbags.

T-72 with slats and chains.

Another T-72 this time with camo and a man with a blurry face.

More T-72s

T-55. With a poster of Assad. No armour is needed. This tank crew clearly don't belive in their leader.

T-55 with slats and ERA/extended ammo storage.

Another T-55

T-55

Those metallic bells (Pic 2, 3, & 4) reminds me the decoration of sacrificial animals before Eid-ul-Azha.

However, interesting upgrades that seems like they are fighting with whatever they have without any thought of expertise or planning but want to throw anything.

T-55

BMP-1 with an interesting choice of armour.

A truck converted into some kind of SPH/AT gun.
@Zarvan @Windjammer @django @The Eagle @Unknowncommando
actually these mods do have a purpose. most of them are to repel against rpg's and small airms fire.

when ever you see an military vehicle with a cage around it its designed to protect the main body from the first stage of an rpg.

so for example a tosser would fire a rpg at a tank which has a no cage around it. when the rpg hits the tank the first stage goes off which creates a huge amount of heat melting body of the tank and then the second stage kicks in blowing it up from the inside. tank go bye bye.

but if it has a cage the first stage would the cage ruining the cage but who cares. then the second stage explodes outside of the tank keeping the tank occupant alive but possibly damaging the tank.

it is a very cheap option whilst more advance options include aps.

even murica has these cages as shown on this mastif
5431839820_bdc8b4f9dc_b.jpg

@Khafee i thought you knew this you being from the military an all,but instead you laugh?

Last edited:
so for example a -------- would fire a rpg at a tank which has a no cage around it.

I am not quoting the word deliberately and you may know the reason as well.... wasn't expecting such from you...

Tank_e04f43_6139749.jpg

@Blue Marlin Please enlighten us about this IFV, as well as the tanks with their unique Armour in the msg quoted below.

Thanks!

More T-72s

Another T-55

T-55

Last edited:
I am not quoting the word deliberately and you may know the reason as well.... wasn't expecting such from you...
fine i shall change it, but just so you know there the root cause.

View attachment 375565
@Blue Marlin Please enlighten us about this APC, as well as the tanks with their unique Armour in the msg quoted below.

Thanks!
thats a shoddy job with sandbags an tires. you make the most of what you've got, same cant be said for some who splash out billions on the latest kit only to get their rear ends kicked.
do note i only mentioned the cages.

Back
Top Bottom